January 29, 2007 4:00 AM PST

The devil wears a Prada phone

(continued from previous page)

Verreos: While he professes to love technology, Verreos says he detests how it can ruin a well-chosen outfit, especially in the case of the dreaded phone clip accessory. "Unless you're a doctor, and you need to be paged and found, there's no need to be clipping them on. (A phone) is not a belt. It's not a piece of jewelry," he said.

As far as phones go, Verreos is not a fan of the ruggedized Casio GzOne, which he sees as a definite fashion don't: "It's more Eddie Bauer, Seattle, granola-crunch type. Too Sporty Spice." Swarovski-crystal encrusted gadgets also violate his definition of chic. "It's too much--it's a little Paris Hilton two years ago."

Mittersinker: The design director says smart phones present the biggest challenge to clean, simple lines. "None of them look really great. The Motorola Q, to the Palm Treo, to Samsung's (BlackJack). It seems like there are so many features that even if you have the greatest design team in the world work on it, it still won't look good," he said.

Youger: The user experience in general has room for improvement, he said. "When you say 'Apple' to people, there's an understanding of what that interface might be. When you say 'Samsung,' I don't immediately picture what that interface might be," Youger said. The reason, he explained, is the lack of "shared experience" that carries over among all products in a particular brand. Besides Apple, Nokia has done well with that, he said.

Belasco: There's a reason he likes his Razr--phones any larger just don't fit into his lifestyle. "I don't like the BlackBerry. I just don't like the design of it," Belasco said. "I think it's too...I don't know. I'd rather carry my laptop than have a BlackBerry."

Previous page
Page 1 | 2

See more CNET content tagged:
Prada, designer, LG Chocolate, cell phone, Motorola Inc.

2 comments

Join the conversation!
Add your comment
hmm
why I did't hear about it before?

-------
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://proxy.emigrantas.com" target="_newWindow">http://proxy.emigrantas.com</a> - working web proxy list
Posted by darix2005 (31 comments )
Reply Link Flag
I don't care
how the phone looks. It just has to do what I need it to do, regardless of how it looks. For me, right now, the BlackBerry Pearl does 99% of what I need a phone to do. The other 1% is more video format support, but that's a nitpick really.
Posted by ReVeLaTeD (755 comments )
Reply Link Flag
 

Join the conversation

Add your comment

The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Click here to review our Terms of Use.

What's Hot

Discussions

Shared

RSS Feeds

Add headlines from CNET News to your homepage or feedreader.