January 23, 2001 5:00 PM PST

PayPal, BBB come to terms on customer service rating

PayPal and Silicon Valley's Better Business Bureau have agreed to improve their lines of communication and conduct a series of high-level talks in an effort to improve how PayPal handles customer complaints.

The two sides met Wednesday after the watchdog agency labeled PayPal's customer service record "unsatisfactory" based on the 30 to 40 PayPal complaints it said it receives every month. Most of the complaints claim PayPal is too slow to respond to questions and too quick to freeze accounts if it believes fraud has taken place, according to Erin McCool, a customer service representative for the San Jose, Calif., chapter of the BBB.

PayPal spokesman Vince Sollitto said that the BBB, which had forwarded complaints to PayPal by traditional mail service, agreed to start sending them via e-mail. The two companies also agreed to a series of meetings between executives in coming weeks.

"We certainly wished they had not given us the label they did but we are committed to improving our service," Sollitto said.

One of the fastest-growing financial service Web sites, PayPal has amassed almost 6 million customers in the 14 months since its launch, Sollitto said. It's gone from performing one transaction a day to facilitating 150,000.

To speed up its response time, PayPal has increased the number of customer representatives to 500 at its Omaha, Neb.-based service center. It has assigned an executive to act as a liaison between the company and the BBB.

"They have made a real effort to respond to each of the complaints," McCool said. She added that listening to the complaints is not enough, however.

"They know what the complaints are," she said. "But they have failed to eliminate the causes of the complaints."

One target is PayPal's policy on freezing accounts when it suspects illegal activity, McCool said.

If, for instance, PayPal suspects that someone has used a stolen card number to buy goods, the company will put a hold on the transaction until it investigates. Likewise, if a merchant is accused of taking money without producing the goods, PayPal will stop any further sales and freeze the merchant's account.

The practice paid off in a case last month involving a Fountain Valley, Calif.-based company claiming to have the popular PlayStation 2 video game consoles for sale, Sollitto said. PayPal security personnel investigated, and that led to a hold put on the account. PayPal eventually returned much of the money to customers.

But customers have complained that PayPal often doesn't inform people that their accounts have been frozen or explain why they have been frozen.

8 comments

Join the conversation!
Add your comment
PayPal worthless to me
I have spent 3 days trying make a transaction through PayPal which they repeatedly refused to process. I can only guess that because the payment was going to another country, they thought it was some kind of security risk. This has been a total waste of time and energy and I will never use PayPal again. It has been embarrassing for PayPal's client and infuriating for me.
Posted by gopherhill (1 comment )
Reply Link Flag
Paypal is a big scam!
I haven't used my Paypal account in quite awhile, and not too long ago I got an email from them stating that my balance is negative. This shocked me as there was about $120 or so available balance in my account there is just no way it would become negative. So I checked the transaction history and found 2 people that bought stuff from me filed complaints against me one claiming that I shipped him the wrong item and the other claiming that I shipped him a defective product, and I refused to assist them. Which is just complete BS as I know for sure that everything I sold/sell are in perfect working order and I never ship out a wrong item. So what happened was that Paypal only listened to their sides of story and reversed the charges immediately without my acknowledgement, and then updated me AFTER the reversal had been made. I emailed them to complaint about this wrongful action and they said I could file an appeal with their headquarter and it would take up to 90 days before I get a case#.

Then recently I've got some more stuff that I must sell so I decided to just pay off the negative balance so that I could sell again. Then about 3 days after I made a transfer from my bank, Paypal locked my account without any type of notifications. I emailed them 3 times regarding this issue but no responses from them. So now Paypal has my money and I do not think they intend to return it. I will seek legal actions against these big time scammers very soon.
Posted by KrazeDiamond (1 comment )
Reply Link Flag
Paypal Very Big Scam
Paypal is such a fraud and scam!!!!!!!!!
A fellow classmate purchased some books from me via paypal. She insited that i use media mail to ship the books so I di. 2 days Later she put in a complaint to paypal saying that I didnt send her books however she sent me an email 3 days later saying she got her pkg but nothing was in it paypal immediately refunded her the amount without a thourough unvestigation. I am out of my books and my money.
another thing is they took the refund amount 2 times from my bank account, it took them only 3days to give hermoney from one of the transactions however on 11/6/07 they took both amounts and til this day I am still waiting for the other amount to be refunded to me. they are scammers. here is the story from paypal resolution I was trying to send information to them and they told me that they wouldnt listen to my side only the buyer was their concern they only want to make themselves look good with the buyer/thief
The following is from their site and our school message board and even original emails (less names and email addresses)
For sure BEWARE of folks getting materials and getting their money back as well. She could have put my name here I wouldnt have cared becasue I have a clear conscious and if I really wanted to warn my fellowclassmates I would want them to know who to beware of if indeed this is what really happened...................................................................

I am so hurt behind this I am a single parent of 3 and I work and I am trying to finish school I can't afford to lose out like this .. Please be careful and not as trusting as I have been.

Ms. Hill is talking about me and to those who have purchased any books from me THANK YOU. If I never ever sell another book here behind this it is fine Just know that I did send her her books.

This is the history of this transaction I am not ashamed to tell you about it so I will post the whole entire story from beginning to end.
The only reason she won was because I didnt follow paypals guidelines and send the books through their site which is connected to automatic shipping from USPS. Ms. Hill deliberately gave me the wrong zip code knowing I couldnt print a reciept from the paypal site and so I went to the post office to send them I sent them media mail because I couldnt afford to send them expedited to her free. well here goes you decide...

Note: She never even told me that she didnt get the books she went straight to Paypal to open a claim against me.

Non-receipt - Case ID: PP-355-075-794

Transaction ID: 4W9807622F4928937

Buyer Name & Email: Celeste hill, cigichick97@yahoo.com

Transaction Amount: $70.00 USD

Transaction Date: Oct. 15, 2007

Package Status: USPS tracking # faxed postage receipt

Files (1) [ Add ]
Date Sent Type of Evidence File Title
Oct. 26, 2007 Proof Of Shipping Mailing Receipt for ms Hill Books

Faxes (0) [ Add ]

Notes (2) [ Add ]
Date Sent Subject
Oct. 25, 2007 She didnt try to reach me to let me know
Oct. 26, 2007 track number

Dispute History Log - Most Recent 5 of 18 Last 5 Show All
The Dispute History Log displays all actions related to your claim.
Date Actor Action Details
Nov. 4, 2007 PayPal Seller?s action requested
Nov. 4, 2007 PayPal Claim granted
Nov. 4, 2007 PayPal Email sent to seller
Nov. 4, 2007 PayPal Email sent to buyer
Nov. 4, 2007 PayPal Refund initiated

Total Messages: 4
From PayPal: PayPal on 10/24/2007 10:45 PDT
Seller escalated this dispute to a Claim.
From Seller: Monica Franklin on 10/24/2007 10:45 PDT
The buyer is outright calling me a fraud. On 10/15/07 I got an order for the books On 10/16/07 I received payment and attempted to print the label from paypal service but the zip code didn't match I emailed Ms. Hill to get correct address so I could ship it promptly and precisely on 10/16/07 and I shipped the books to her via USPS the same day I sent an email to her letting her know that the books were shipped. I received an email from her on 10/22/07: Subject book From nikki hill cigichick97@yahoo.com Date Monday, October 22, 2007 9:06pm To monicafranklin@optonline.net Hi Monica, I recieved your package today but unfortunately someone between your house and mine decided to open the package and take the book. The package was empty when my postman delivered it. Did you happen to insure the package? Thanks for any help. Celeste Hill So immediately I called the post office where I sent it from at 718-455-8743 I was told by the clerk 16 to call 718-493-611 and spk to a supervisor I spoke to Christopher who said that in NY they will not give an empty pkg to any recipient at any given time they instead will send notice to the recipient that the pkg was damaged and how to procede, then I explained that I was not the recipient that I was the one to send it, he then told me to call the destination post office to inquire so I did I called 813-672-4562 Riverview station in Fl 33578 I spoke to Louie told him what the buyer/recipient said to me in an email he laughed and said that their policy is to stamp pkg as "received damaged, pkg damaged etc. he then went on to say " a pkg that noticibly had or has contents in it is never given to a carrier in that condition (cut opened or damaged to certain extinct) he said it is just not possible. He also said ," If we receive a pkg damaged while in transit we notify the originating post office of the damages. " He even went through some pkgs while I was on the phone to assure me of the labeling that was put onto pkg
From Seller: Monica Franklin on 10/24/2007 09:32 PDT
I received payment and sent pkg to Ms. Hill on 10/16/07. pkg was 5lbs 3.50oz sent at Halsey Street station 11207 USPS phone number 718-455-8743
From Buyer: Celeste hill on 10/24/2007 06:57 PDT
Monica, I've tried to reach you at all emails given for two days. Your package was empty and the Post Office is stating fraud by shipper. I've filed a fraud report with the US Post Office and now a dispute with pay pal. If you have any information your immediate response would be appreciated, I'm simply trying to get my purchase or money back.

Claim Resolution Tips
How long will it take PayPal to make a decision on my claim?
What is the status of this claim?
How can I submit information to contest a claim and what kind of information would be most useful?
What is the Seller Protection Policy and how can I qualify for coverage?
What can I do if I believe a buyer's claim is fraudulent?
How long do I have to respond to a claim?
What is a temporary hold?
What is the difference between a dispute, a claim and a chargeback?

Report Fraudulent Claim

If you believe that this claim is fraudulent, please let us know.

Previous | Next | Back to Messages
DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...
Printable View This message is not flagged. [ Flag Message - Mark as Unread ]

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Monica Franklin" <monicafranklin2@yahoo.com> View Contact Details Add Mobile Alert
Subject: RE: textbooks for sale
To: "Nikki Hill" <NikkiHill@outback.com>
Your package should arrive by US parcel post by Saturday this week no later than Monday of next week. shipped from 11207 Brooklyn, NY

Nikki Hill <NikkiHill@outback.com> wrote: No my address is correct, the post office just added our zip code, use my old zip code it will still get to me xxxxxx