February 23, 2006 9:47 AM PST

PC looks like a giant iPod

For years, Windows PC owners have been able to connect to an iPod. Now they can have a computer that looks like the iconic digital music player.

Logisys Computer this week added the ePod Soho case to its lineup of unusual PC shells. The white PC case has several "buttons" resembling those found on the scroll wheel of an Apple Computer iPod, as well as a blue LED light that gives the case a constant backlit glow.

ePod PC case

The ePod is a shell into which individuals or custom PC makers would need to add a processor, motherboard, hard drive and other components. It's just one of many unusual products offered by the Pomona, Calif.-based company. Other unique designs include a clear blue acrylic case and an optical mouse that resembles a Volkswagen Bug.

The ePod is currently shown on Logisys's Web site, but it is not yet available through any retailers. A Logisys representative said the company has not had any communications with Apple.

But even the company's motto--"We do different"--is somewhat reminiscent of Apple's "Think Different" campaign.

Apple has been known to take legal action against makers of PCs and music players that it thinks resemble its wares too closely. For example, it sued eMachines and a few others back in the late 1990s when they came up with PCs that Apple felt treaded too close to the design of the original iMac. Apple settled several of those suits in 2000.

However, it's unclear what the company will do with a PC that resembles its music player. An Apple representative was not immediately available for comment.

music player, Apple Computer, Apple iPod, PC

what's with...
the blue led craze on Windows boxes... really.. why not just paint it
lime green and put a spoiler on it.
what's with...
the blue led craze on Windows boxes... really.. why not just paint it
lime green and put a spoiler on it.
Is this news worthy???
Am I alone here to think that a silly case is not worth reading about?
I'm all for geeky specs, but a case that's got some resemblance to a popular mp3 player is not worth reading about. So what?
There's absolutely nothing worthy of reading in this story.

I love you CNET, but this story is worthless.
Posted by Dead Soulman (245 comments )
Agreed
There are dozens and dozens of PC cases available for sale
today. There are many cases of incredibly high quality that do
not get mentioned in publication at all. Just because a case
bears a vague resemblance to a popular mp3 player is no reason
to waste people's time on it. This is an apparently low quality
case that 95% of all people would pass over on newegg in an
instant. There is no reason for cnet to whorishly post an "article"
(read: advertisement) for a case that is ugly, poor quality, and an
obvious attempt to jump on the bandwagon of an actually useful
product with the least amount of effort possible.
Posted by montgomeryburns (109 comments )
..I guess cnet has to pay the bills with hits by cramming the word I-pod somewhere on it's site at any given moment.

But cnet hasn't been a real tech site for a few years now.
Posted by lewissalem (167 comments )
Waste of time
I agree... not sure why this is at news.com or on the home page for that matter. This case is a POS. This is just ridiculous. c|net needs to fire an editor or put this writer on a different assignment.
Posted by Jason Hillmore (9 comments )
Is this news worthy???
Am I alone here to think that a silly case is not worth reading about?
There's absolutely nothing worthy of reading in this story.

I love you CNET, but this story is worthless.
Posted by Dead Soulman (245 comments )
Agreed
There are dozens and dozens of PC cases available for sale
today. There are many cases of incredibly high quality that do
not get mentioned in publication at all. Just because a case
bears a vague resemblance to a popular mp3 player is no reason
to waste people's time on it. This is an apparently low quality
case that 95% of all people would pass over on newegg in an
instant. There is no reason for cnet to whorishly post an "article"
(read: advertisement) for a case that is ugly, poor quality, and an
obvious attempt to jump on the bandwagon of an actually useful
product with the least amount of effort possible.
Posted by montgomeryburns (109 comments )

But cnet hasn't been a real tech site for a few years now.
Posted by lewissalem (167 comments )
Waste of time
Posted by Jason Hillmore (9 comments )
That's gonna ...
... put some nice big blisters on my giant fingers and thumbs.
Posted by MrNougat (78 comments )
That's gonna ...
... put some nice big blisters on my giant fingers and thumbs.
Posted by MrNougat (78 comments )
I'm Convinced That C|Net Puts Out This Kind of Crap Because ...
they're being paid by the perpetrators of such products. At the very least, I wouldn't be surprised if their employees' homes are filled with this kind of garbage, provided as "samples" by the PR types.

As for why these companies keep coming up with these knock-offs, the reason is simple - it's just plain easier to rip-off a successful idea than to come up with something innovative. I just can't figure out how the people providing the financial backing for this stuff can possibly think that they're going to make back their investment, much less make a profit. Kind of reminds me of the old 60's sitcoms where the advertising dweebs are sitting around tossing out ridiculous ideas for pushing products that no one in their right mind would ever buy in the first place. I guess it keeps the shallow end of the gene pool off the streets, except during rush hour (which I avoid by telecommuting ;) ).

All the Best,
Joe Blow
Posted by Joe Blow (175 comments )
I'm Convinced That C|Net Puts Out This Kind of Crap Because ...

All the Best,
Joe Blow
Posted by Joe Blow (175 comments )
This is the perfect case for
all those geeks that are mashing (trying) OSX into their x86 boards!
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Hey...you forgot
to post your favorite link.
Posted by indrakanti (90 comments )
This is the perfect case for
all those geeks that are mashing (trying) OSX into their x86 boards!
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Hey...you forgot
to post your favorite link.
Posted by indrakanti (90 comments )
What a joke
I sure wouldn't even touch this computer, if its anything like an iPod it all looks with no features...
Posted by ccc1005 (3 comments )
What a joke
Posted by ccc1005 (3 comments )
No, it's not
But funny that you considered it a good use of your time to go after CNET for running it. It's one of a dozen pieces they'll run today -- they can't all be groundbreakers.

If you want to hate, hate Fox News for dedicating so much air time to murdered white girls.
Posted by eric.meyerson (22 comments )
No, it's not

Posted by eric.meyerson (22 comments )
A novelty item, a novelty story
I don't know why most of the people complaining have their
under alls in a wedgie. (The reason is obvious with the Apple
haters who responded.) The inventors created this case as a
cute novelty item that some people will buy for the fun of it. C/
Net ran this piece as what is called a 'bright' in the news
business. A bright is a light, often funny story. Wrote and
edited my share of them in my first career.

Will Apple take umbrage about the ePod? Perhaps. It has been
pretty forceful about protecting its intellectual property in
regard to the name, look and feel of the iPod. Recently several
podcast and software makers of conversion to iPod programs
were asked to desist in use of 'poddy' names.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
Nothing Bright About This Item
We call if fluff crap or filler... point is that it isn't news. This story serves the company behind the product, more than it serves cNet readers. Therefore, it was bad editorial judgement to allow this item onto the cNet 'news' page.

As for 'bright' stories, those are stories (usually involving animals) which are supposed to help viewers feel better about life after reading/watching a series of crime/bleed-leads. A 'bright' story is not a veiled public announcement for a product. Examples of bad 'bright' stories:

--McDonald's/Delta change employee uniforms to invoke a better PR
--Waffle House to accept credit cards
--woman tattoos "golden palace casino" to forehead (this would be an appropriate kicker without naming the casino)
--person wins $25,000 for solving first riddle of newly released book that's sweeping the country (with the name of book that I've forgotten)
Posted by ThreadSurfer (12 comments )
A novelty item, a novelty story
I don't know why most of the people complaining have their
under alls in a wedgie. (The reason is obvious with the Apple
haters who responded.) The inventors created this case as a
cute novelty item that some people will buy for the fun of it. C/
Net ran this piece as what is called a 'bright' in the news
business. A bright is a light, often funny story. Wrote and
edited my share of them in my first career.

Will Apple take umbrage about the ePod? Perhaps. It has been
pretty forceful about protecting its intellectual property in
regard to the name, look and feel of the iPod. Recently several
podcast and software makers of conversion to iPod programs
were asked to desist in use of 'poddy' names.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
Nothing Bright About This Item

--McDonald's/Delta change employee uniforms to invoke a better PR
--Waffle House to accept credit cards
Posted by ThreadSurfer (12 comments )
Lack of style is costing PC industry big bucks
You guys who complain about a story like this show how little you get the underlying issues. Big Bill Gates and other computer honchos have been declaring the PC would be moving into the living room as "convergence" takes hold, but they're not putting their money where their mouth is by addressing style/function/ergonomic issues needed to get consumers willing to converge. Styling is key, style is huge, and a little thing like offering stylish cases can break down the door and lead the industry into big new sales.
Posted by Razzl (1318 comments )
Style is good
I think the Japanese public is much more into style than Americans
are so far. The company that produces the ePod is channeling
that vibe. The product would be a hit there.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
where is the style in this
All they have done it pain the box white, and stick 4 useless buttons on the front. Its utter poo!
If they really want style, they first need to replace the single solid motherboard, until that is made bendy, or in multiple jigsaw like pieces, PC's are going to look the same.

Like everyone else said, this product, and story is crap.

There is no way in hell, this case is stylish. Besides the I-pod is last year anyway, make it look like a PSP and you might be onto something, but even then i doubt it.
Posted by Scrowshaw (25 comments )
Lack of style is costing PC industry big bucks
Posted by Razzl (1318 comments )
Style is good
I think the Japanese public is much more into style than Americans
are so far. The company that produces the ePod is channeling
that vibe. The product would be a hit there.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
where is the style in this

Like everyone else said, this product, and story is crap.

Posted by Scrowshaw (25 comments )
Why Not an X-Box 360 Case?
Why not re-design it to be a large X-Box 360? That would look really neat and more original, especially if you have a real X-Box 360 to place next to it. With interchangeable face-plates like the 360, it would be quite interesting, and more compatible with Microsoft software and PC hardware inside the case.

Take it back to the drawing board and re-design it as a large X-Box 360. Maybe even Bill Gates would be interested in promoting it, especially if you place a large Microsoft logo onto the sides.
Posted by Michael G. (185 comments )
Ehh..
*shutters* I dunno, I love the design of my 360, but I don't think I could handle a grownup version of it. Dimension-wise it would be almost impossible due to the skinny look of the 360. To have proper dimensions it would be like.. 6"x36"x24"
Posted by serotoninzero (4 comments )
Why Not an X-Box 360 Case?

Posted by Michael G. (185 comments )
Ehh..
Posted by serotoninzero (4 comments )
Plastic Junk
meh..looks like a big plastic pos...I would never buy one.
Posted by bonedog73 (9 comments )
Plastic Junk
meh..looks like a big plastic pos...I would never buy one.
Posted by bonedog73 (9 comments )
Antec P-150 case
I recently built a new PC, and I bought the Antec P-150 case. It has a glossy white metal body, with an aluminum-like front bezel, and shiny white plastic optical drive doors; so iPod-like!
Posted by Galley (55 comments )
Antec P-150 case
Posted by Galley (55 comments )
PC looks like a giant iLog
That means "turd".
Posted by X=0 (52 comments )