November 9, 2004 4:34 AM PST

Mozilla releases Firefox 1.0

update After 19 months of development, two name changes and more than 8 million downloads of its preview release, the Firefox browser is finally turning 1.0.

Firefox, a browser based on the Mozilla Foundation's open-source development work, was made available for free download at 1 a.m. PST Tuesday. (Later in the morning, the site was responding very slowly.)

Download Firefox here:
Windows users
Mac users

If the download statistics from preview releases of Firefox are any indication, the open-source browser could be headed for a big debut.

"Our browser is moving into the mainstream," said Mitchell Baker, president of the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, based in Mountain View, Calif. "Being an alternative browser in today's market is a challenge, but people have begun to realize that the browser matters, that the browser you get with your computer can be a beginning point and not an endpoint."

News.context

What's new:
The Mozilla Foundation has released Firefox 1.0, a browser based on the group's open-source development work.

Bottom line:
The release could make a big impact if pre-release trends propel the open-source browser into serious contention with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

More stories on Firefox

The browser Mozilla released in the wee hours of Tuesday morning won't be significantly different from the preview releases that have launched in recent months. Mozilla changed its default start page to appeal to new users, but other changes are minor performance improvements and bug fixes.

But the release could nonetheless make a big impact if prerelease trends propel the open-source browser into serious contention with Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

While Web analysts have largely ignored the browser market since declaring IE the winner of the browser war, scattered Web site measurement statistics have suggested gains for Firefox and other minority browsers against the IE juggernaut.

IE continues to command more than 90 percent of the market, with Opera Software's namesake browser, Apple Computer's Safari software and other Mozilla-based browsers making up the difference. Firefox has set its sights on gaining 10 percent of the market by the end of 2005.

In addition to making apparent market inroads and shattering its own download goals, Firefox has succeeded in blazing an open-source fundraising trail that backers call unprecedented.

To place full-page ads in The New York Times, the Mozilla Foundation raised more than $250,000 in donations in the first 10 days of a fundraising campaign.

Mozilla owes part of its Firefox success to widespread security concerns about IE. While all the browsers have faced security bugs, IE's security reputation has suffered chronic damage amid a steady torrent of security bugs and spyware schemes targeting IE users.

The Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT), the computer threats division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, earlier this year issued an advisory urging Americans to consider ditching IE in favor of its competitors. Independent groups have launched their own campaigns urging Web surfers to consider IE alternatives.

Microsoft in August updated IE with

CONTINUED: significant security measures…
Page 1 | 2

Speedy uptake
The article about the release of Firefox 1.0 is the first item browsed since downloading and installing the new version of this 'refreshing' application and using Sage.

I have been converted.............
Posted by geraldofrankenhopper (2 comments )
Sage rocks
This is the best, absolutely best way to aggregate RSS feeds - it only operates on demand, not constantly pinging your news sources and feeding you popup windows which you don't need. And takes less resources to do so.

I loved the RSS Reader it was based on, too.
Posted by worstellr (4 comments )
Seems to be working now.
I just downloaded 1.0 off the main website, it moved a little slowly when I was navigating the site but the download (4.7MB) was speedy. I'm glad its come out, my trust in MSIE finally waned to naught when the pop up on bank websites exploit came out a few months ago. I also like Opera but FF seems a bit more widely used.
Speedy uptake

I have been converted.............
Posted by geraldofrankenhopper (2 comments )
Sage rocks

I loved the RSS Reader it was based on, too.
Posted by worstellr (4 comments )
Seems to be working now.
Breasy.com
I recently heard about this site Breasy.com (<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://breasy.com" target="_newWindow">http://breasy.com</a>). It lets you do tabbed browsing inside IE without downloading anything. Kinda neat if you're stuck with IE at work.
IE with tabs
I myself use Firefox, but it is possible to get IE (in some form) with tabbed browsing. check out Maxthon (formally MyIE2) <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.maxthon.com/." target="_newWindow">http://www.maxthon.com/.</a>. also got a whole lotta other features, all of which can be disabled aswell, if you like a minimal browser GUI like myself..
Posted by Meij (2 comments )
Breasy.com
IE with tabs
Posted by Meij (2 comments )
other download server
As some of you guys are aware, all of the official firefox download servers are going quite slow. Here is a unofficial download server that has Firefox 1.0 that i got from Mozilla's servers early this morning.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://download.hmstudios.net/Firefox1.0Setup.exe" target="_newWindow">http://download.hmstudios.net/Firefox1.0Setup.exe</a>
(download sponsored by HMStudios and PHPWebHosting)
Posted by HMHackMaster (3 comments )
other download server

(download sponsored by HMStudios and PHPWebHosting)
Posted by HMHackMaster (3 comments )
Firefox is the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eom
Posted by grey_eminence (153 comments )
Firefox is the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eom
Posted by grey_eminence (153 comments )
Firefox is the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eom
Posted by grey_eminence (153 comments )
Firefox is the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eom
Posted by grey_eminence (153 comments )
Encourage IE users to switch
If you're running a dynamic website, you can easily tell when an IE user is browsing and (gently!) encourage them to switch to Firefox. See <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.ericgiguere.com/articles/how-to-detect-internet-explorer.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.ericgiguere.com/articles/how-to-detect-internet-explorer.html</a> for the details.
Posted by Eric Giguere (13 comments )
Encourage IE users to switch
Posted by Eric Giguere (13 comments )
Firefox has some resources hogging
I have been a firefox user for a while. It is generally a very good browser, easy to use, feature rich but not too much. But it has resources leak problem. Sometimes use up all my CPU and memory resources.
Posted by audiophilecc (65 comments )
Re:
Firefox takes up more memory than it actually needs so that it performs much better while you're using it. If you switch to another application for a while you'll find that the memory usage goes down, and then back up once you switch back to Firefox. At least that's what happens to me on my 3 computers.
Posted by hion2000 (115 comments )
Re:
Posted by hion2000 (115 comments )
Too bad MS is scared of real competition
Since MS likes to blather on about how they are for giving customers choices, lets see them allow computer makers to preinstall firefox in windows boxes.

Of course they won't since they know IE would be history, along with a good chunk of their monopoly.
Too bad MS is scared of real competition

Firefox has some resources hogging
Posted by audiophilecc (65 comments )
I like the old Firefox home page which included forward and back buttons. I don't like the alt and arrow combination. If I can't download an older version like 1.0. I won't use firefox at all. It's a shame , it was my favorite browser. I just removed Mozilla from my computer. Please advise. Thank You, MARTY P.S. Let's keep it simple, It worked , Why are you messing with it?
Posted by mcmm9ss (2 comments )