April 11, 2005 9:27 AM PDT

Microsoft sets date for Xbox 2 debut

Microsoft will give the public its first glimpse of the next Xbox during a global MTV broadcast next month.

MTV outlets in North America, Europe and Asia will air a 30-minute program titled "MTV Presents: The Next Generation Xbox Revealed" on May 12 and May 13, the software giant announced Monday.

Gaming blog
Pre-emptive strike
At the E3 show, Sony plans to get a 3-hour head start in the next lap of the game console race.

The successor to the current Xbox has been the subject of much anticipation and rumor over the past few years. Microsoft has filled in many technical details, such as the processor and development tools the next Xbox will utilize, but key information such as the name, price and on-sale date for the console have remained secret. Other hotly debated topics about the next Xbox include whether it will run games for the current Xbox and if it will include a hard drive.

Microsoft executives have also talked about the next Xbox in general terms. Chairman Bill Gates told CNET News.com that besides eye-popping games, the next Xbox would include an array of multimedia tools.

"We didn't do Xbox just to do a video game; we did it to be part of our vision of the digital lifestyle, and with the next generation, we really get to go there," he said. In the first generation, we had one simple goal, which was to establish credibility as a great video game platform. We've done that.

"As we go into this next generation, it's much broader," he added. "So just for the games alone you'd go, 'wow,' but the concept now of bringing in your music, your media, connecting to the PC, connecting Xbox Live to Messenger--that just makes it a very big deal."

Microsoft had been expected to save the unveiling of the next Xbox for the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) trade show next month. But the TV event gives the company a head start of a few days and should ensure that Microsoft's news won't be lost among announcements regarding competing consoles, including the expected unveiling of Sony's PlayStation 3.

"We are ecstatic about our alliance with MTV and unveiling a video game platform in a way that has never been done," Peter Moore, vice president of worldwide marketing for the Xbox division at Microsoft, said in a statement.

The program will air at 6:30 p.m. PDT Thursday, May 12 in the United States and at various times Friday, May 13 in other parts of the world. The show will be hosted by actor Elijah Wood, best known as Frodo in the "Lord of the Rings" films.

sweet!
carpel tunnel here I come
Posted by vinayd (6 comments )
Oh, so does this mean...
That all the "required" accessories will be included? Case and point: The DVD remote. Unlike with PS2, which doesn't require a remote to play DVD's, the Xbox say's it is "Required", and yet, you have to go out and drop $30 for one....Wait, we're talking about Microsoft here, we'll be lucky if it comes with a controller.
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Huh?
I thought the PS2 DVD ability was a add on as well.
Is this not so?
Posted by Sboston (498 comments )
Well..
With the PS2 at launch you had to go out and buy a $30 memory card, and later on $40 for the network adapter and $100 for a harddrive.
Posted by wazzledoozle (288 comments )
The more I hear, the less I like
Disclaimer: I'm a rabid video gamer and have been collecting since I could walk. I've never, in good conscience, refused to purchase a video game or system that had promise.

But the way things are gearing up now, I'm tempted not to get the Xbox on premise alone. First they "seriously consider" naming the thing "Xbox 360," which might very well be the worst name of a videogame console ever conceived. Now they're catering to their "hip crowd" who watch MTV as what's likely to be their key demographic. I don't identify or agree with either of those business decisions and quite frankly, I'm downright insulted by them.

Microsoft, you can take your Xbox 360 and your MTV. I'll be over here playing everything else under the sun (not the least of which your previous, SUPERIOR console).
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Where else aside from MTV?
Look, despite my feelings for Microsoft (not very warm & fuzzy), MTV seems like a good choice to reveal a next-gen console. What other cable channel caters to (or has the viewers of) the target audience (youth to younger adults, e.g. up to 35)?

I can think of two other good matches -- SpikeTV (self-proclaimed television for men) and G4 (former G4TechTV). G4 would be perfect as it's for gamers but it doesn't have the reach or widespread populatiry of MTV.

I hope Sony one-ups M$ (like they did with pre-E3 announcements) and gets some airtime on Spike/G4.
Posted by Rusdude (170 comments )
I think I'll pass...
I haven't watched MTV. I don't like rap, the only game I bother
with is solitaire, and I already have a few DVD players. So, it's
rather obvious that MS's XBOX, PSP, Whose Cube, and other such
devices are just not for me. And i really won't miss them. BUt it's
interesting reading other peoples opinions on the items.

So far, it seems that MS is about to lay another XBOX egg. That
makes two losers in a row, if you don't count Windows.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
hey you, moron...
what prompted your idiotic post? if you nothing relevant to say, keep your damn thoughts to yourself!
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
If you don't really care...
then why are you posting, really? Sounds like flamebait, and I'd take you up on it but apparently someone else beat me to it.

Go back to solitaire and leave the rest of us alone.
Posted by Karios Kasra (62 comments )
sounds like overkill once again
great. we have cellphones that do everything except make good
phones calls. now we have a game console that is going to
annoy the hell out of us with useless features...features that will
jack the up price of the console and offer MS more inroads to
controlling more media. how is DRM going to work for songs i've
purchased on my computer for my ipod on the new xbox? why
would i want to use a game console AND a tv to IM people
unless i was unemployed and needed to talk to other
unemployed peeps. i guess kids would like it, but wouldn't it be
easier to use a headset (unless they plan on making some kind
of keyboard or touch-pad available)? i certainly won't pay to play
other people online when i can do it with my computer for free
(i'm already paying for internet access for my home PC). "digital
lifestyle"? ***? i just want to play games, not have MS dictate
that my "digital lifestyle" should revolve around a TV set, game
console and messaging. i don't even use MSN
messenger...maybe if they had AOL IM and voice recognition ;)

just another case of overkill in anticipating what your
competitors might do. as usual, they'll screw it up. they're
probably worried that apple will come out with some media
center PC, since theirs doesn't seem to be catching on.

btw: the remote control for the first gen xbox suck. there's not
even a power off button on it. i do loves the splinter cell though
Posted by muntz (34 comments )
Business loves their buzzwords. . .
In this case. . .convergence.

It's the buzzword in the electronics industry, so they'll apply it often even it doesn't make much sense. That always seems to be what happens when a new idea gets a buzzword.

After all, if it has a buzzword, it must be good, right? :)
Who needs X box live?
Ther are alternatives.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.xbconnect.com/" target="_newWindow">http://www.xbconnect.com/</a>
Posted by Sboston (498 comments )
To Earl
Hey Earl, how are you playing this "solitaire"? Is it on a MICROSOFT OS??
Ok, MTV might not have a majority of xbox's target audience, but I think having millions of viewers exposed to a product can do nothing but very good things for this product they're trying to push. What happened to no publicity is bad publicity? However, this might make a handfull of gamers feel "cheated," but I don't think ms cares about this minority, they've never had the best pr.
Posted by Wassim17 (3 comments )
I never use a MS OS for any of my computer work.
I do happen to have five PC's (4 on XP) but they get used just for
my software program I license to clients. Actually, my HP laptop
also is the world's biggest iPod, plus ebook, plus DVD/DIVX/AVI
player for when I take trips.

Anyhow, if you like MTV, good. If you're some sort of gamer, my
opinion isn't really important, as long as you're not working for
me. You like Windows? It's your choice. I've seen Windows,
beginning with Windows 1. You like the PC? That's also your
choice. I've built and sold hundreds of PC's, with one form of
WIndows or another.. And I learned not to trust either the PC
platform or the MS OS.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Cards
He could be using cards.
You might say they are multi platform. :D
Posted by Sboston (498 comments )
That was my worry
As a card-carrying member of the hardcore gamer crowd for more than twenty years, I feel very left out by the decision to use MTV as their venue of introduction. I realize they're trying to break new ground and invite new people to the hobby, but I feel I've done quite well distancing myself from the MTV networks over the years. I'm not the least bit comfortable embracing them now.

For all we know, Microsoft probably assumes that those who were sold on the first Xbox are probably already brand-loyal and are therefore already sold on the next console. I would still give the world exclusive unveiling to the crowd that already loves you, then do the MTV afterwards. That way you don't alienate those who helped you get where you are.

And that about sums up my feeling right now: alienation. This hobby's taken care of me over the years and I always found it to be very people-driven. That is to say, the people behind the games and the people who play the games are not only very real, but develop very real connections. I have favorite developers, favorite artists, favorite musicians, et cetera. And the people were always nerds. And it was good. Now they're trying to get the "stoner idiots" in on the hobby, and I don't know. I'm still discomforted by it.
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
What idiots!
So, this MTV special airs at 9:30EST. Is it airing at 6:30PST? Nope. They are delaying it 3 hours later at 9:30PST!!!!!

Don't these morons understand that one of the millions of Xbox modders out there will DVR the special and post it to the web long before it hits the air 3 hours late on the west coast.

This is exactly what is wrong with the **AAs and TV broadcasters. Wake up out of the fifties. People aren't going to wait for you to spoon feed them. Especially with something as important as the unveiling of the next Xbox.

Here is another question: If Microsoft is a West coast company, why (besides "That is where MTV is located") is this being aired for the East coast first?

BTW: I neither have the equipment or the know how to post this special to the web, but I will bet money that others do and will.
Posted by SteveBarry687 (170 comments )