December 19, 2005 6:33 AM PST

Microsoft drops Mac IE

Related Stories

Apple releases OS X security patches

November 30, 2005

Firefox beta out of the foxhole

November 3, 2005

Apple releases Mac OS X update

October 31, 2005

Need a job? Don't use a Mac

October 27, 2005
The minority of Mac users still browsing with Internet Explorer need to consider moving to another browser very quickly, as Microsoft plans to discontinue support for IE beginning Dec. 31.

The news, which came in a statement on Friday, may not have come as a complete surprise to Mac users: Microsoft announced back in June 2003 that it was ending Mac support for IE. Microsoft has not upgraded the software in three years, leaving IE 5--rather than version 6, which is available for Windows--as the most recent version available to Mac users.

While IE for Mac will continue to be available for another month after support ends, Microsoft is advising all users to move to "more recent browsing technology such as Apple's Safari."

The lack of support for IE is unlikely to be an issue for Apple users, most of whom already use alternatives. The only potential difficulty could lie with some sites that have been designed to work with IE only.

This affects a minority of sites, but the issue hasn't completely gone away. In June, for example, Web-testing company SciVisum said that one in 10 Web sites in the U.K. failed to work properly with Firefox, the popular open-source browser.

Firefox, Safari and other browsers such as Opera are available for Mac OS X.

Colin Barker of ZDNet UK reported from London.

About time.
Utterly useless browser.

Everyone should be using Safari or Firefox by now, and if you are not then shame on you.

2006 is almost here - prepare to have your eyes opened peecee weenies.
Posted by Ty Tyson (8 comments )
By what?
Firefox 1.5? It is no better than Internet Explorer 7, its no better than Firefox 1.0. They barely have 10% marketshare and they're already bogged down in as many bugs as Internet Explorer with 80%+!
Posted by LordKalthorn (18 comments )
peecee weenies
Hey, I had to use a new Mac the other day do get into some of my old Mac files. I'm a designer and began on Macs but have since moved on to Windows. Wow, and how glad I am. I really think the only word to describe my recent Mac experience was that it sucked BIGTIME. I think PCs are 100% better and feel sorry for anyone stuck with Macs and Apple. Macs really, really suck performance wise when compared to new PCs. I could not believe how bad it was. I so glad I'm on a Windows machine now I just had to sit down and laugh for joy!
Posted by Stan Johnson (322 comments )
bah
Eyes open for what....Dells running OSX? That attitude is why iPods sells better than the entire Mac platform.
Posted by Buzz_Friendly (74 comments )
Now if we can just get them to drop IE for Windows!
I know, I know, wishful thinking -- though that's basically what they're doing since IE7 when/if released will not be available to older versions of windows.
Posted by zizzybaloobah (218 comments )
Look at it this way.
IE 7 could be better. :)
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
I won't miss it
Whenever I encounter a site that doesn't work in Safari, I can use Firefox, and vice versa. Internet Explorer 5 is the first thing I delete after installing my Mac.
Posted by MahRain (13 comments )
Nothing like...
closing the barn door after the horse is already out. Good timing
Microsoft announce that a product is discontinued years after
nobody cares....
Posted by corelogik (680 comments )
Finally
Apple don't deserve a great browser like IE. OSX make IE look bad with the buginess and unstability.
Good on you MS for letting that go!!
Posted by City_Of_LA (118 comments )
hilarious
Funniest thing i've read all morning.
Yeah...
Rotten ol' stinkin' wormy Apple. Dirtying up a nice clean browser like IE. Who do they think they are. You tell 'em. Somebody should juice Apple for all they've done to poo on Microsoft.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
IE wasn't doing anyone any favors
Let's face it  Internet Explorer was merely a crutch for Micro$oft
to show the DoJ that they were trying to play nice...which has all
the absurdity of Elton John marrying a supermodel rolled into a
nice, downloadable package.

Mac users were Microsoft's alibi, and evidently Redmond doesn't
feel like they need to lie any more.

Thanks, Microsoft. Don't let the screen door hit you in the hiney
on the way out. And take all the spam and virii you brought with
you, too.
Posted by mntechnogeek (2 comments )
Thanks, Microsoft
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.analogstereo.com/mazda_owners_manual.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.analogstereo.com/mazda_owners_manual.htm</a>
Posted by Thunder Johny (200 comments )
IE for Windows was already discontinued.
Microsoft announced they were discontinuing IE for Windows in
May, 2003. They just seem to have forgotten&.
Posted by the Otter (247 comments )
You don't have to use IE
You don't have to use IE
I use both myself but have been using Firefox more and more lately

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://sqlservercode.blogspot.com/" target="_newWindow">http://sqlservercode.blogspot.com/</a>
Posted by SqlserverCode (165 comments )
IE is useless anyway
IE was a security threat anyway, I don't even see why Microsoft users still use IE. There's at least three "better" alternatives out there: Firefox, Netscape, Opera, etc...

lol I thought the "Now lets just get them to drop Windows", was funny XD
Posted by AimsAlpha (21 comments )
Why even announce it
Obviously support is low, Microsoft didn't need to even tell the Mac world to switch. Mac users are more trendy than that, and IE for Mac was downright awful from the start so there's no loss at all.
Posted by lonewolf367 (5 comments )
"Support?"
I was very surprised to hear they were offering any support at all
after they stopped its development. It's a horrible old fossil, and I
can see why they decided not to spend any money on it after Safari
was released, and Firefox for OS X must surely have cemented their
decision to kill Mac IE that much more.

Good riddance. I haven't bothered testing my code with Mac IE for
ages, anyway.
Posted by The Cubelodyte (19 comments )
Bummmer...
My boss uses a Mac. Whenever something doesn't look right on Safari, he'll fire up IE and if it still looks odd, I have to say "It looks fine on the PC." That usually satisfies him, but now he won't be able to see for himself after he upgrades to a new machine that doesn't contain IE. (Is it me or do Mac people upgrade and/or reset their machines way more often than PC people in the corporate environment?)

Yeah, my woes simply indicate that my sites aren't 100% CSS/standards compliant. But when IE commands 90%+ of our the market share, and higher when it comes to our audience, that pretty much becomes the standard.

I've inherited and built onto these websites that have been around longer than CSS, but there's no time to just scrap everything and start over, and from what I've seen, some of the stuff we're doing can't even yet be duplicated by CSS because Microsoft went ahead and added stuff not (yet?) recognized by W3C.

So Macs finally move to Intel, suggesting an easier coding job for Microsoft and probably a bigger market-share in general for Macs, they finally decide to completely cut off IE? Ugh.

Thanks for nothing.
Posted by TV James (680 comments )
Oh, and before you say...
Before you say "Well you should get Firefox or Opera or Flock, etc., etc., etc." I want to suggest that anyone who says that is really living in a bubble.

It's no secret that those of us who frequent these sites are more technically advanced that the average person. Installing and maintaining other browers is no big deal.

But sometimes you can't dictate the policy handed down from above about what's allowed on your PCs (or in most cases on this campus, whether you even have the ability to install stuff on the workstations), and even moreso, it's impossible to dictate to your client what they should run. And when you try to force, good luck with that.

I guess if we use the "road" analogy, then you may be right in suggesting that I need to remove anything from my road that isn't lowest-common-denominator so that all of the "cars" can equally navigate it. Fair enough.
Posted by TV James (680 comments )
Re: mac upgrades
"Is it me or do Mac people upgrade and/or reset their machines
way more often than PC people in the corporate environment?"

Based on the fact that Apple accounts for only 4-5% of total
computer sales, but Macs comprise about 16% of the total
computers in use, I'd have to guess that it's you.

Those figures indicate that Mac users upgrade way less than their
wintel cousins.
Posted by rcrusoe (1305 comments )
Scary
Write your website to W3C standards and it will work everywhere, including IE.

Why lock yourself into MS, when it accomplishes nothing and serves to cripple your site in the future?
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
Guess you don't need the business
Since there is pretty well always more than one source for just
about anything, my solution to IE-only websites is to simply take
my business elsewhere. If these web companies don't mind cutting
out 10% of the market, especially a 10% that is concentrated in the
higher economic end of the scale, that's their choice.
Sometimes, in the case of local businesses, I've let them know my
thoughts and actually saw their websites change - the ones that
care about not arbitrarily turning down customer dollars.
IE & Yahoo
The only thing I use IE for is playing games on games.yahoo.com. So this is no big loss.
Yahoo sucks as bad as IE
They claim they support Firefox....Yea right....I don't know why anyone would use any Yahoo services anyway...
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Drop IE for Windows please!!!
Do us all a favor Microsoft and discontinue IE for Windows....PLEASE!!! :-(
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Amen to that, brother...
Think how far along the web would be in terms of the browsing
experience if developers weren't forced to support a non-standards
based, poorly written, intentionally proprietary, security-issues
riddled browser like IE.
Posted by lkrupp (1608 comments )
What an ill-researched report
C|Net: anyone can copy Reuters; I expect SOME intelligence on your site.

Fact 1: current active users don't need to look for another browser (think Mac OS9 users); their current copy remains working fine. You won't get an answer anymore from Microsoft's helpdesk, but I'm pretty sure you won't get an answer right now if you would phone.

Fact 2: IE/Mac and IE/Win have different HTML engines. IE/Mac was at launch way ahead of every other browser in the field. Websites targeted at or using IE/Win specific code won't work in IE/Mac anyway. And if a website does work in IE/Mac, but not in any other browser on the mac platform, well, you still can use IE/Mac if you have a copy.

It IS the end of an era though: IE/Mac was the first poke at IE. IE/Mac was the proof of concept of what a browser could be, what IE could have been. Sadly, Microsoft saw better business in developing the windows version of IE and the Mac version became orphaned software. It's a miracle it has hold out so long.
Posted by tennapel (22 comments )
better business
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.analogstereo.com/jaguar_owners_manual.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.analogstereo.com/jaguar_owners_manual.htm</a>
Posted by Thunder Johny (200 comments )
This is old, old, old news.
Microsoft announced over a year ago that they were not going to extend any future versions to Mac. With this in mind, it was only a matter of time before they publicly stated that they would cease support for the product. IE5 on Mac was buggy to begin with, the fact that they weren't going any further with new versions essentially cut off the support chain over a year ago.
Posted by sumwatt (69 comments )
No Mac IE Vista? DARN!
I've been holding my breath waiting for IE Vista for Mac to be released so I can see how much MS has ripped of Mac Safari 1.0 Browser...

Darn! Now I will never know...

GOOD RIDDENS IE!
Mac &#38; Open Source Community blew IE out of the water YEARS AGO.
Old news from a Jurassic Software Monopoly in Redmond, WA.
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
what a virus ridden P.O.S. that is - I'd never use it, doesn't have
tabs, and is slow as molasses.

Safari and FireFox baby
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
Only problem I can think of...
since I don't use IE much, pertains to my neighbor's kid, who loves to play Disney's Toon Town MMORPG. You can only play it with IE, though. If you use a different browser, it won't even let you on the site.

A minor issue in the grand scheme, but it does irk me when someone with the resources of Disney doesn't take the time to make their product work on other browsers.
Posted by Musmanno (101 comments )
Come to think of it
that may only run on a Windows machine to begin with - though the only computer they have is a Mac and the girl talks about playing the game all the time. She must play elsewhere.

Well, consider this a generalized grievance against Windows-specific and browser-specific services.
Posted by Musmanno (101 comments )
What about Opera??
I ;m surprised Opera has been scarcely mentioned....
It works flawlessly....only a little trouble with some online-banking.
But those people only work with IE or netscape....(surprisingly still
out there)
Posted by efabo (3 comments )
What is it good for...?
Lyrics:
What is it good for...Absolutely nuthin!

Macintosh now, Macintosh tomorrow and Macintosh forever!
Posted by BentonBear (18 comments )
Macintosh tomorrow
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.analogstereo.com/chrysler_town_and_country_owners_manual.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.analogstereo.com/chrysler_town_and_country_owners_manual.htm</a>
Posted by Thunder Johny (200 comments )
I Could Not Care Less
Of all the browsers that I have, I use IE the least. I find it crude. This announcement will only result in my deleating the program from my computer tomorrow!
Posted by biggarthomas (20 comments )
Is Bill Gates getting stupid?
WOW what a decision, instead of expanding into other platforms, spacially with FireFox gaining huge ground on IE, the infinite wisdom of Bill Gates has decided to cut on the only other platform that IE support other than Windows. I give IE maximum two years and it will dissapear just like the old good Netscape.
Posted by chkaiban (20 comments )
I Agree
While Internet Explorer for Mac might not have been a great
browser Microsoft could have improved it with a new version.

I think its stupid and bad business sense for them to discontinue
IE for Mac because with the esception of the Macintosh the only
other platform Internet Explorer has ever run on is Microsoft's
own Windows operating system.

I agree IE was not that great a browser to begin with whether it
was used on a Mac or a PC. It would probably be best for
everyone even Windows users to dump Internet Explorer as soon
as possible.

Had Microsoft continued IE for Mac they could have brought
their MSN Toolbar possibly to Mac to work in IE. There is a new
browser war emerging (this one I am viewing from Mac and PC
desktops) and now a search war with Google.

It would be great if Apple made Safari for Windows and with
Netscape's resurgence (or rebirth) and its commitment to
recontinue development of their browser, the addition of
Mozilla Firefox, and other Mozilla based browsers including
Camino, Opera etc and possibly even a Gbrowser from Google
Microsoft would face intense competition in the market,
consumers would have more choice and be made to play nice.

Because this time they can't win the new browser war by
monopolization, by bundling of Internet Explorer with Windows
(and/or Macintosh which must have had an effect on Netscape's
Macintosh browser development business as well as its Windows
business) but have to play fair. Innovation will emerge and
everyone will benefit.
Posted by maneeshpan (69 comments )
Good Business Sense
First, this really isn't "news" since this was a decision made two
years ago, around the time Apple introduced Safari. Microsoft
made the decision that, since Apple was developing its own
browser, MS didn't need to waste resources or money on a
product that was quickly losing market share. Many Mac users
simply downloaded Safari when it was released and relegated IE
to second fiddle.

Firefox has gained some ground on the Mac platform, but many
users use Safari for much the same reason that Windows users
tend toward IE. It's there and, for most folks, it works.
Posted by nightveil (133 comments )
Live ...
I'm just guessing but this move is more about limiting the acess to
features like local.live.com.
Posted by iakor (1 comment )
Life is good!
My iBook has been a Microsoft-free zone for about five years now. Ah, life is truly good!
Posted by Norseman (1319 comments )
I'm wIth you
I have been Microsoft free in my life for a year now, and it is
amazing how much more I love computers.
Posted by philpacker (50 comments )
Microsoft-free zone
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.analogstereo.com/smart_roadster_owners_manual.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.analogstereo.com/smart_roadster_owners_manual.htm</a>
Posted by Thunder Johny (200 comments )
Resetting
My boss seems to get new Macs pretty frequently, but every few months he's standing around for half a day while formatting and reinstalling all his software.
Posted by TV James (680 comments )
Then he doesn't have Mac's.
Or he's little more than an idiot. Maybe you should ask him which??
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Then your boss...
&gt;My boss seems to get new Macs pretty
&gt;frequently, but every few months he's standing
&gt;around for half a day while formatting and
&gt;reinstalling all his software

...doesn't know what he's doing.

There's no reason to have to reformat and resinstall OSX unless he had a hard drive failure. Why is he reinstalling software so often?
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
Odd
Windows is the only OS that requires reformatting and reinstalling every 6-12 months.

No other OS degrades over time.

Either your boss is an idiot or this is just silly FUD
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )