September 30, 2005 8:22 AM PDT

Microsoft confirms next XP service pack

Microsoft has revealed plans to release a third service pack for its Windows XP operating system.

"There will be a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP," Bernard Ourghanlian, technical and security director at Microsoft France, confirmed, revealing that Microsoft's OS is set for another major update.

Windows XP's Service Pack 2, which came out last September, deeply modified the operating system by updating its security.

Windows XP SP3 will be available sometime next year--after the launch of Windows Vista, which "is the priority for the development teams," according to Microsoft France.

Microsoft has yet to reveal details about the contents of the service pack. Laurent Delaporte of Microsoft France said: "Historically, certain functions of new versions of Windows are integrated in the service packs of previous versions."

And this SP will make you have to buy Vista!
I'm just kidding here, but it would be a good / bad marketing
scheme to make the SP pack make your computer a little limited,
and to get the full power of your machine you'd have to buy Vista.

Granted, this would all be a <hush, hush> conspiracy, and it would
make the machine slowly get limited over time... and then once
Vista is installed everyone would clamor for it, not realizing it's
where they used to be a few months ago! LOL.
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
Correction
It wouldn't "limit" your computer's functionality, it would simply break it altogether. The cure? Windows Vista!
Posted by J_Satch (571 comments )
They don't have to
Microsoft doesn't have to do things like this to make people upgrade. Not that Vista is likely to offer much that helps a business make more money, and the return of investment will probably be just awfully bad, but when XP isn't supported anymore people will ugrade. Most companies will se the upgrade as a fact of life and they will pay for it just like they pay taxes.
Posted by unoengborg (19 comments )
You're and IDIOT!
You're not kidding. Face it! You don't know what you're talking about.
Posted by phoenix8603 (79 comments )
I am gonna go ahead
And beat the trolls on this one, I am sure they will let me know if I miss anything.

Sillie wind0ze (l)users, LOLOL!!111! you have to p4tch uR machine. And you smell bad, live below the poverty line, eat babies, get touched in your bathing suit area by Bill Gates, spend 70 hours a week fighting spyware, have cousins for parents, live in waste.....
Posted by Bob Brinkman (556 comments )
That makes you the troll...
That level of immaturity is the problem with Windows users...
Posted by ddesy (4336 comments )
Now...
show me on the dolly where he touched you.
Service pack
I wouldn't be surprised to find that the security upgrade is to break the cracks that are already out there for service pack 2.

I don't have XP. I'm still using Win 98 when I HAVE nothing else that will work. Xandros works great for me.
I Thought The Service Pack was Vista.
Oops, my bad.
Posted by Darryl Snortberry (96 comments )
Windows Shmindows Blaaa
If you want a secure computing environment with no BS copy
protection nonsense.....get a MAC. I made the switch after
almost 15 years of windows use and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I
still keep a windows box around for essoteric stuff like copying
DVD's from Netflix, but most of my everyday computing is now
done on the MAC. I don't have to worry about this or that patch
hosing an important app.....it just keeps working as it should.
OK....yes....I had to pay more up front for my MAC. But its like
paying more for a Lexus vs a Chevy. And let's not forget that OS
X is based on Unix....one of the most stable OS's that ever
existed. Hey.....I loved dinking around with Windows over the
years. God knows the continual debugging and reformating of
my PC taught me a lot of valuable problem solving skills. But as
time went by.....I just grew tired of doing MS's dirty work for
them. Actually, Windows reminds me of those silly used cars you
see on the road. You know, the $1500 chevy Chevette with the
$2000 set of rims, front and rear spoiller and grey primer paint
job. The kid who built it thinks he's got some "Hot Wheels" and
maybe some of his friends agree. But those who can afford a
new Lexus just shake their heads.
Posted by Willie Winkie (123 comments )
You mean...
you are NOT patching your mac? Apple is releasing patches for the mac as if they didn't get a single line of code right, so you should be patching it or do some frequent backups. Yes, even an unpatched mac might feel reassuring just because there are nor many hackers targeting macs, but that might change any day, and that's the kind of thing you shouldn't do reactively.
Besides, if you keep a Windows machine, you still have to patch it, right? So now instead of having to patch one machine (that has automatic patching), you have to patch two? How's that an improvement?
Posted by Hernys (744 comments )
Windows Shmindows Blaaa
If you want a secure computing environment with no BS copy
protection nonsense.....get a MAC. I made the switch after
almost 15 years of windows use and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I
still keep a windows box around for essoteric stuff like copying
DVD's from Netflix, but most of my everyday computing is now
done on the MAC. I don't have to worry about this or that patch
hosing an important app.....it just keeps working as it should.
OK....yes....I had to pay more up front for my MAC. But its like
paying more for a Lexus vs a Chevy. And let's not forget that OS
X is based on Unix....one of the most stable OS's that ever
existed. Hey.....I loved dinking around with Windows over the
years. God knows the continual debugging and reformating of
my PC taught me a lot of valuable problem solving skills. But as
time went by.....I just grew tired of doing MS's dirty work for
them. Actually, Windows reminds me of those silly used cars you
see on the road. You know, the $1500 chevy Chevette with the
$2000 set of rims, front and rear spoiller and grey primer paint
job. The kid who built it thinks he's got some "Hot Wheels" and
maybe some of his friends agree. But those who can afford a
new Lexus just shake their heads.
Posted by Willie Winkie (123 comments )
Correction to your comment
I am happy to hear that you like your Mac, but if the only
reason to have Windows around is to copy your movies... well,
you know you can do that with a Mac right? Infact it's cheaper.

MactheRipper = Freeware

Roxio Popcorn = $19.99

Thats all ya need my friend.

Out
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
Correction
Yeah, I am happy to hear that you like your Mac, but if the only
reason to have Windows around is to copy your movies... well,
you know you can do that with a Mac right? Infact it's cheaper.

MactheRipper = Freeware

Roxio Popcorn = $19.99

Thats all ya need my friend.

Out.
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
You're an Idiot! Re-Correction
Those two programs are BUGGY and SLOW as heck!
Posted by phoenix8603 (79 comments )
Suggestion for SP3
Bring back raw sockets in SP3!
Posted by Simbey (2 comments )
2 years later and no SP3 Grrrrr!!!!!!
Billy Gates is soooo slow!
Posted by inachu (963 comments )
2 years later and 1 more year to go...
yes indeed, bill gates is friggin slow, we should conside in service packing HIM, see how he likes that!
Posted by Original HinD (6 comments )
2 years later and no SP3 Grrrrr!!!!!!
Billy Gates is soooo slow!
Posted by inachu (963 comments )