February 10, 2006 8:43 AM PST

Display problem affecting some Intel iMacs

Apple Computer said Friday that it is looking into reports that a video problem with the new Intel-based iMac is preventing some graphics from displaying properly.

The issue, which has been the subject of a number of reports on Apple discussion forums, is particularly noticeable after launching Front Row, Apple's remote-controlled media software.

"Access the menus in Front Row, (and) you will get streaks of white lines across your screen," said Mike Stanton Sr., who bought the dual-core Intel iMac and has been experiencing the issue.

Stanton, who owns a Pool and Spa shop in Mandeville, La., said the streaking, which has been called "video tearing," is also present when moving the iCal window around and when using certain functions in iMovie.

An Apple representative said the company is examining the issue.

"Apple is aware of this and is looking into it," Apple said in a statement. "If a customer has any technical issues, they should contact AppleCare."

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company introduced the new iMac, the first Intel-based Mac, at last month's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

Some users have reported that the problem can be alleviated by setting the machine's display to "thousands of colors" versus the standard millions of colors. Enthusiast site ConsumerMachine has posted some other tips and more information about the issue.

In a research note on Friday, American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu downplayed the problem and said he doesn't think any kind of recall will be necessary. "We believe the video glitch with Front Row can be easily fixed with a software update," Wu said.

Stanton, meanwhile, said he loves the iMac and the iLife software but is nonetheless returning his new Mac until Apple solves the problem.

"Outside of this issue, the machine is a dream," he said, adding that it is "really fast, very stable, and the screen is great."

Apple Intel iMac, Apple iMac, Apple Computer, Intel, video

Strange
I just received my 20' Intel iMac with the 256 MB option and no
problems to report, frontrow and all the other apps work fine.

Maybe its widespread but not all 20' machines have it, mine is a
European version but i don't think thats making the difference.
Posted by Peter Bonte (316 comments )
It's a Software problem, not a Hardware...
It only occurs with Front Row, so hopefully they'll get that fixed
soon...
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
odd
At least in the PC world what they are describing hapens with games alot when you have the graphics pumped up higher then what your card can handle. -Or you aren't using the right drivers. It's not usualy aplication related per se. But what I don't know about MACs could fill a few books.
Posted by Bob Brinkman (556 comments )
ah
Then why am I having issues with video outside of Frontrow?
I have no audio in Front Row
I've had my iMac for a week. Playing DVD's in Front Row was fine until about 3 days ago. I get no audio when playing DVD's.
Posted by bdkennedy1 (58 comments )
:-)
did u accidentally hit the mute button?
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
Hmm
Hmm, say you weren't playing any one of those official release SONY Aarcos or or Alpha ripguard OEM encoded virii infected dvd's to stop them from being ripped were you?, for they have been known to want to install univited guests on the host computer!

Oh well, like any new TPM infected system, it will come with lots of teething problems!
Posted by heystoopid (691 comments )
similar problem
I had a similar problem in my Dual G4 right before my video card died. I got a new card and haven't had any problems since. It was happening in every app and pretty much all the time but I am wondering if there was a bad batch of video cards that went out.
Posted by dezago (5 comments )
Display is great?!
As a Mac owner the fanaticism of Apple users started to make me
afraid.

Did the guy say this? ""really fast, very stable, and the screen is
great.""

OMG. The screen that tears down?!
Posted by Ilgaz (573 comments )