February 9, 2006 6:20 PM PST

Bank of America cancels numerous debit cards

A security breach involving an undisclosed company has prompted Bank of America to cancel the debit cards of numerous customers, a spokesman for the country's largest bank said Thursday.

Bank of America refused to release the name of the company involved, the exact number of customers affected or whether the company in question was online or a traditional brick-and-mortar establishment.

The case is unusual in that debit cards appeared to be at risk. Credit cards are typically involved in security breaches at financial institutions because they are used more often than debit cards for retail transactions.

"These are intricate matters...and may involve information that is not exactly clear and concise," said Michael Chee, the bank's spokesman. "It would be premature to discuss any third parties until an investigation is conducted."

Chee said that to this point, there is no evidence that any of its customer accounts have been compromised. The move to cancel debit cards was a precaution, he said.

An investigation is under way, Chee said, but he added that he was unaware of what law enforcement agency was overseeing it.

Bank of America issued letters to many customers notifying them of the breach and that their debit cards were no longer good. The bank is also telling customers to watch out for any unauthorized transactions on their statements.

"As a proactive security-minded effort, we may take steps to replace people's cards," Chee said. "We know this can represent a minor inconvenience. The question is, would we rather risk inconveniencing customers and protect their information and accounts, or do we just do nothing?"

Bank of America Corp., debit card, bank, spokesman, security

BOFA cancels numerous debit cards
No beef no deal.

I think it is about time that banks like Bank of America start thinking about a platform solution that keeps ID offline rather than playing with flawed software, toys or gadgets that haven't been proven.

Everyone knows four level authentication with offline devices is mandated or fiated by the FFIEC and the result of all those relationships is users will benefit from single use credit card numbers that are kept offline.

So, wake up and do that because otherwise people like me are going to ask "Where's the Beef".

The patent has been given just do the right thing within the Federal time limit and the winner will end up being the biggest most reputable bank.

Saying you are giving me my money back after theft is like saying you are going to definitely repay me for bank rape.

Well, here's a clue guys, you invade my account and I'm gone because I cannot trust your promises anymore. So, whomever gets their act together, that's who I'm marrying my money with respectively.

I'm not mad just fed up and I am not taking all this double talk anymore. Ciao.
Posted by Iohagh (54 comments )
you need to get mad.
fed up is not going to cut it. dump your accounts NOW and show them the door. THEY'RE FIRED - just like they do to their USA employees after they FORCE them to train their counterparts in India who will earn 1/3 of what they earn.

FIRE THEM NOW! I did. Its great.
Posted by MS789 (17 comments )
BOFA cancels numerous debit cards
No beef no deal.

I'm not mad just fed up and I am not taking all this double talk anymore. Ciao.
Posted by Iohagh (54 comments )
you need to get mad.

FIRE THEM NOW! I did. Its great.
Posted by MS789 (17 comments )
I had a relative who was a victim
Not sure if it's the same company, but after a relative of my gave her debit card # to a "free watch" scam, her account was systematically chipped at every week. She had to close it. Here are some examples:

11/09/2005 CHECKCARD 1108 NUF*ACC INS 42770318 800-863-0641 NY [tx # deleted] $24.90

11/04/2005 CHECKCARD 1103 EASY SAVER 800-262-6199 PA [tx # deleted] $14.95

10/25/2005 CHECKCARD 1024 NCM*SAPPHIRE SET 3OF3 800-327-9076 NY [tx # deleted] $19.95

10/17/2005 CHECKCARD 1014 NCM*JEWELRY E & P P&H 800-835-9195 NY [tx # deleted] $5.99

10/17/2005 CHECKCARD 1014 NCM*JEWELRY E & P 800-835-9195 NY [tx # deleted] $29.99

10/11/2005 CHECKCARD 1010 NUF*ACC INS 42770270 800-209-3515 NY [tx # deleted] $9.95

10/11/2005 CHECKCARD 1010 NUF*ACC INS 42770318 800-863-0641 NY [tx # deleted]$24.90

10/07/2005 CHECKCARD 1006 EASY SAVER 800-262-6199 PA [tx # deleted]$14.95

09/28/2005 CHECKCARD 0927 NCM*SAPPHIRE SET 2OF3 800-327-9076 NY [tx # deleted]$19.95
Posted by MitchAllen (5 comments )
I had a relative who was a victim
I also would like to add my two cents, since that is all I have left in my checking account. I thought I was getting my Mom some nicely priced jewelry and thought what the hec. Now after going overdrawn three times due to this company I am livid. When I called and asked if they could set up withdrawals on a particular date and let me know how much would be taken all I was told was to send all jewelry back. Well, since my Mom happily opened her "little gifts" from me, God only knows! I am sending anything back I think might have come from this company and am changing my debit card, WHAT A MESS!!!!
Posted by hpp6937 (2 comments )
BankOfAmerica, PassPortToFun, Easy Saver
I recently noticed two charges from PASSPORTTOFUN (PASS PORT TO FUN 877-442-5780) and from EASY SAVER 800-262-6199 for 14.95 each. I have no idea how these charges got charged to my account. I immediately called both of the company?s and asked that they refund my money and that I did not want there server and that the charges were not authorized. After a runaround they told me that they would credit my account and cancel the service. They also told me that it was noted in there system that I ordered there service from a infomercial (I have never ordered from the TV). Several days go by and the changes were still posted on my account and I never received a refund. I then called bank of America and asked to dispute the changes. The dispute department told me that they are unable to dispute this charge because bank of America is affiliates with both of these company?s and that I would have to take it up with them. I asked for a supervisor /etc /etc to no avail. I then drove into a banking center and the manager tried to dispute the charges and was told the same. He also told me that it is common for "affiliate companies" to share information like checking / credit card numbers. I would bet that this is how they got my account numbers.
I ended up closing my account with bank of America and am much happier with my new bank. However I have still be unable to receive any refund from this company or there partner bank of America.
I?m sure that some day there will be a class action lawsuit against all three of these companies and I would love to be included.
Reference: bankofamericasux.com
Posted by E1337Knight (2 comments )
I had a relative who was a victim

11/04/2005 CHECKCARD 1103 EASY SAVER 800-262-6199 PA [tx # deleted] $14.95

10/07/2005 CHECKCARD 1006 EASY SAVER 800-262-6199 PA [tx # deleted]$14.95

Posted by MitchAllen (5 comments )
I had a relative who was a victim
Posted by hpp6937 (2 comments )
BankOfAmerica, PassPortToFun, Easy Saver
Reference: bankofamericasux.com
Posted by E1337Knight (2 comments )
Proactive my Aunt Fannie!
My Mom was affected by this. She finally got her notification letter on Feb 8, 2006, but was dated Feb 2, 2006. She found out by trying to make a purchase and being declined. The BofA support staff could not authorize the single charge. She had to leave her stuff at the store and go to a BofA that actually had people staffing it. Then the teller had no idea about the issue and my mom had to explain the whole thing to him. So after an extra hour and a half of driving and explaining the ordeal to uniformed staff, she returned to the store where she paid cash for her goods.

I can't believe BofA is calling this proactive. They are reacting to a possible security breach! Proactive means taking action to prevent these sorts of events.
Posted by swjost (4 comments )
BoA has NO CLUE
I just called them to check on my debit cards and the lady on the phone STILL HAD NO IDEA what I was talking about.

idiots.
Posted by The user with no name (259 comments )
Proactive my Aunt Fannie!

Posted by swjost (4 comments )
BoA has NO CLUE

idiots.
Posted by The user with no name (259 comments )
And we trust our personal finance data with
people in INDIA??????????? Thanks a lot Bank of INDIA - thats what we low-life CUSTOMERS call you now.

You are a shame to the United States of America. Hope you fold.
Posted by MS789 (17 comments )
And we trust our personal finance data with

You are a shame to the United States of America. Hope you fold.
Posted by MS789 (17 comments )
Re-read the article carefully
The breach was at a third-party company, not at Bank of America. Here's a link to another article about this incident with more information on who it was: <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1926121,00.asp" target="_newWindow">http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1926121,00.asp</a>
Posted by csgasman (2 comments )
Re-read the article carefully
Posted by csgasman (2 comments )
"undisclosed company" might be JcPenney
An hour after we used our BofA card on JCPenney's site, BofA called us and said the card was compromised and reissued a new card.
Posted by papabing (2 comments )
"undisclosed company" might be JcPenney
Posted by papabing (2 comments )
I'm one of those undisclosed customers that had my card canceled. This is the third time this year my card had to be closed due to fraud and it's really ticking me off! What's pissing me off more than anything is that they don't tell me about it and I don't know until I try to use the card! Plus, they won't say who the merchant is so I can blacklist them. Why couldn't they post an alert for me to see when I log into banker online? Why must I find out this way and be embarrassed because it takes them more than a week to send me a notice and issue a new card? They claim they closed my account and send a new card on the 24th, but I have yet to receive it. Of course, it happens right before I'm getting ready to travel out of state, making it even more convenient. I asked customer service what steps they were taking to prevent this happening int he future and her reply was, we'll cancel the cards and send notices. Hello! That's not a preventative measure!
Posted by seattle_reader (1 comment )
Hi dear
I asked for a supervisor /etc /etc to no avail. I then drove into a banking center and the manager tried to dispute the charges and was told the same. He also told me that it is common for "affiliate companies" to share information like checking / credit card numbers. I would bet that this is how they got my account numbers.[URL="http://www.chinesebanker.com/category/banks"]Royal Bank Of Canada Online Banking[/URL]
Posted by frenkstayl (1 comment )
Just had this happen to me. I went to use my card today and was denied. When I spoke with a representative online (as I did not discover this until after banking hours) I was informed that my card was closed and that I should have received a new one. I never received one, nor did I confirm/activate the receipt of a new card. BoA is rushing me a card, but it will take 2 bus. days....which means the middle of next week since tomorrow is a holiday. BoA has no issues with just closing cards and they could care less if you have access to your money. As I brought up to the representative, what would have happened if I was out of the country and all of a sudden couldn't use my card...would I just be screwed in a foreign country w/ no financial means? All I received in response was a 'We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused'. I just don't what else I can do but be broke for a week.... Anyone have this issue and actually have a way to solve it? I am open to any/all suggestions!
Posted by elong6283 (1 comment )
I found out last night that this happened. But i am in Besmaya, Iraq.
I am single and there is no one at the home address to get my mail, thats the reason i went "PAPERLESS" go figure. i do everything online. So i go to the Military PX to make a purchase a couple of days ago and my ATM card is declined, then the same last night. then i call BOA and finally get through past the autodummy system and get to talk to a person...After telling them NO i did not close my account they came back with oh were sorry your card was one that was compromised. so we closed your atm account on Sept. 11 and didnt notify you in Iraq. I use the online system weekly and nothing was there to give me a heads up. So after them telling me that they have sent a new card to my home address there should be no problem, well i had to explain that i wont be home for months and i use the card to pay for what i need here in iraq, including internet and telephone service. So the best they can do is send me another card USPS and hope that it gets here. They need to fix this type of problem for their customers, not for BOA. They wanted to send it FedX but those days of Amazon, and others shipping in Iraq are gone and it's tough for all of us still working over here. Many Merchants wont send or help to get things that are needed by U.S. Citizens over here. They use to help!
Posted by Dutch_Adkins (1 comment )