May 18, 2004 12:53 PM PDT

Apple to slow pace of Mac OS X tweaks

SAN FRANCISCO--Apple Computer plans to continue rapidly bringing out new versions of Mac OS X, but it won't continue at quite the pace it's maintained in recent years.

Since rolling out the first version Mac OS X in 2001, Apple has released three updates, and it plans to show off a new version of the operating system, code-named Tiger, at its worldwide developer conference next month.

However, during a talk at the SIIA Enterprise Software Summit 2004 here, Apple Chief Software Technology Officer Avie Tevanian said, "We're slowing that (pace) down a little bit...because that's not a sustainable rate. But you'll still see us go really fast." Tevanian had previously headed OS X development but was promoted last year to oversee the company's broader software development efforts.

Apple has not said when Tiger will ship.

By contrast, Microsoft has released just one major desktop version of Windows--Windows XP, which debuted in 2001. The company has added Tablet PC and Media Center versions of the OS as well as updates such as the forthcoming Service Pack 2. The next major version of Windows, code-named Longhorn, is not expected until mid-2006.

During his talk, Tevanian said Apple has made great progress in making its products a good fit for businesses but said it will take time before they are seen that way.

"We've not been strong in that market in the recent past at all," he said. "We don't expect people to automatically just believe that this product is the best thing for them."

In recent years, Apple has come out with new servers and storage gear. The company has also made some forays into clusters and high-performance computers. Tevanian promised that more is on the way, pointing out that there is an opportunity for Apple to make servers easier to manage and storage cheaper to buy. But Tevanian said most companies need to give Apple's gear a try and become comfortable with it.

"Our goal right now is to just have people take a look," Tevanian said. "I think most people who take a look and have an open mind will be very pleasantly surprised."

updates? i don't need no stinkin updates!
Even though I always update and I recommend updating to my family and friends, it does not mean we all have to. It is like the old saying,"If it is not broken, don't fix it!" My folks just uses the computer to do the budget, send me the seldom email and now browse to occasional web site had the same Mac for 9 years, until recently. They had to get another to appreciate the internet after I left with my modern Windows XP machine.
Posted by cwxpffkd (12 comments )
updates? i don't need no stinkin updates!
Posted by cwxpffkd (12 comments )
Tiger better be free
Paid for OSX, Paid for Jaguar, Paid for Panther
now a new OS update,
I think apple is releasingOS updates so often
because they are shipping flawed OS
systems requiring constant updates,
and they are greedy.
I have never owned a PC but may soon own
one
There is no need for a update
Panther was supposed to "stabalize" OSX"
Sounds like the 99 dollar Ipod battery
replacement.
This makes me a very unhappy mac user
if another paid update is planned soon!!!
Posted by dwwave (11 comments )
yes, everything else better be free!
i want your consultation service for free, i want your
research
and developement for free, i want your time for free, i
want
your labor for free, and also i want your knowledge for
free
because i feel somewhere after making payment at the
cash
register everything from you should be free of charge.
heck, why
should i care if you need some income to maintain the
free
service. they all better be free!

nothing is free, but a lot of things are over priced.

sincerely,
daniel chow
Tiger better be free
Paid for OSX, Paid for Jaguar, Paid for Panther
now a new OS update,
I think apple is releasingOS updates so often
because they are shipping flawed OS
systems requiring constant updates,
and they are greedy.
I have never owned a PC but may soon own
one
There is no need for a update
Panther was supposed to "stabalize" OSX"
Sounds like the 99 dollar Ipod battery
replacement.
This makes me a very unhappy mac user
if another paid update is planned soon!!!
Posted by dwwave (11 comments )
yes, everything else better be free!
i want your consultation service for free, i want your
research
and developement for free, i want your time for free, i
want
your labor for free, and also i want your knowledge for
free
because i feel somewhere after making payment at the
cash
register everything from you should be free of charge.
heck, why
should i care if you need some income to maintain the
free
service. they all better be free!

nothing is free, but a lot of things are over priced.

sincerely,