April 9, 2007 7:54 AM PDT

Apple ships 100 millionth iPod

Apple said on Monday that it has sold its 100 millionth iPod, marking a major milestone in the product's history.

Since introducing the iPod in November 2001, the company has unveiled more than 10 new iPod models. The music player has also sparked an ecosystem of more than 4,000 accessories, ranging from fashionable cases to speaker systems. More than 70 percent of 2007 model cars in the United States currently offer iPod connectivity.

Apple's iTunes Store has seen comparable success in selling items from its catalog of more than 5 million songs, 350 television shows and 400 movies. The company says it has sold more than 2.5 billion songs, 50 million TV shows and 1.3 million movies, making it the world's most popular online store of the digital media.

Apple's success with the iPod continues despite a plethora of music player competition from other companies, including Microsoft. The software giant in November introduced its Zune music player, whose sales thus far haven't come close to challenging Apple's dominance in the portable-music market.

iPod fans are now awaiting Apple's iPhone, which combines the functionality and design of the iPod with a cell phone. AT&T's Cingular Wireless is set to begin exclusively selling the iPhone for $500 or $600 in June.

Even though initial sales of the iPhone are still two months away, and the device wasn't on display in March at the CTIA Wireless convention in Orlando, Fla., it continues to generate a steady buzz throughout the gadget and cell phone markets.

music player, Apple iPod, Apple Computer, success, cell phone

MS just ships its 10th ZUNE
I gotta get it ----ZUNE.
They are coming up from BEHIND.
Look over your shouldr.
Posted by SteamChip (594 comments )
wow, 10 whole zunes?
That is a millestone for mycrosoft. I've seen two lonely zunes at a bestbuy. Both don't work and I was looking forward to squirting files back and forth between them! Oh Poo!
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
Exagerations
Typical. Not 10, more like 6 Zunes.

Bill Gates owns 3, 2 are owned by Steve Balmer, and some guy from the general public owns the other one.
Posted by t8 (3716 comments )
What's next for apple?
With their cash cow hitting 100 million sold, I wonder what's next for apple?

I think an ipod with the iphone touch sensitive screen is the next logical choice, but who would pay for an iphone-less ipod with a touchscreen?
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
I.
I would pay for such a device (assuming it has much greater
storage capacity than the iPhone). I hate Crapular, an dwould not
get an iPhone for that reason alone. Besides that, I just don't want
an iPod that is as large as the iPhone, but has so little storage
capacity.
Posted by ronjay (109 comments )
Meanwhile the AppleTV withers on the tree
The AppleTV has been out for about three weeks ago and the only news it has been generating has been bad. Even the Apple friendly sites have reviews that sum up the device as "***?"

Quality control, design failures, and serious limitations in the offering seem destined to make this device a forgotten and unwanted item.

Apple isn't even advertising their own product. That has to tell you something about the confidence they have in this device. :/
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
Cube revisited (N/T)
*no text*
Posted by ronjay (109 comments )
Withering???
The major reviewers (and non-major) have all given the Apple TV good reviews. They aren't great, but what I have read is that the Apple TV is better than Microsoft's own Media platform.

Of course, what was the 1G iPod's review? It was just "ok". Three weeks do not make a trend in electronics sales. Apple TV will become an extension of iTunes, especially since the explosive growth of media sales will drive iPod users to expand and purchase either a Mac and/or an Apple TV.
Posted by jypeterson (181 comments )
Don't get out of News.com domain much?
Um, not only is the AppleTV selling well (esp compared to 1st
gen iPod at launch), but its a hacker's dream. Not only do people
now have essentially full versions of OSX running on it, with all
the apps and games that implies, but its even simpler to hack it
so you gain SSH and NFP access, then you can add whatever
codecs to it you like and watch virtually any downloaded file
(except WMV, they're working on that). If you somehow missed
all of that in the last 2 weeks, check out www.appletvhacks.net
and <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/" target="_newWindow">http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/</a> , they'll set you straight. Apple
isn't advertising AppleTV yet because from all reports they're
barely keeping up with demand from hardcore mac heads like
myself, once they have a more robust channel we'll start seeing
TV spots mention it.
Posted by DaiMac (62 comments )
Apple TV
Hi,

I looked at the apple TV and was disapointed, very small hard drive and a waste of time. It may attract some customers, that don't know any better, but it seems too basic.

If apple sticks to this, they need to come out with something that has a large storage unit inside of it, atleast 300GB or 500GB drive!

What they put in there is a joke. I love apple products, but I wouldn't buy this, maybe after they revise it later on.
Posted by RompStar_420 (772 comments )
Don't kid yourself
Outside of tech circles not that many people even know what Apple
TV is. It's been out less than a month and you say it is "wither(ing)
on the tree"? Please.

Most of the reviews I have seen anywhere are good. What have you
been reading? What quality control issues are you talking about?
What design failures? What serious limitations?

I think you have something against Apple.
Posted by lesfilip (496 comments )
Yah, Like SlingBox Annoucement Today
Please,

You remind me of the original iPod Naysayers back in 2001.

Wait and See.

Check our the SlingBox announcement today regarding streaming
Audio Collections via Apple TV to Digital Music Players and get
back to me.
Posted by dansterpower (2511 comments )
See Dan with EGG on his Face
Ironic Dan, that today, April 9th, the new Apple TV ad premiered on
CBS, NBC, ABC and CNN.

Just watch it wither.
Posted by dansterpower (2511 comments )
What color is the sky in your world?
Just wondering.
I must be reading all the good news and reviews then, and not from
Apple-head sites.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Apple isn't even advertising . . . ?
Really?

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com</a>

Right on the front page.
Posted by K.P.C. (227 comments )
Apple TV is Good. But its Potential is Great.
I think that the Apple TV does a great job at doing a relatively small number of things. But personally, I want it to do a lot of things that Apple could add for (almost) free.

Allow the USB port to be used for extra storage, then the 40GB limit is gone.

Allow Apple TV to play some Mac games, perhaps games purchased through iTunes like the iPod games.

Enable Safari (or something similar) so Apple TV can surf the web. Allow USB devices to be used for control, and make sure it works with YouTube.

Make it easier to get any/all video content that's on your PC/Mac into the Apple TV.

Basically, I want it to be a simplified Mac Mini with a remote and DVI connector. I would pay $500 for that before I would pay $300 for the current Apple TV.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
See more comment replies
How many of the 100 million still work?
My impression is that most iPods die after about a year.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
BS+FUD
Dude, I bought the very first iPod in 2001 &#38; it still works just fine... (yes I have upgraded, but this one works today as a backup portable drive.)

Obviously you've never seen one, used one or bought one &#38; are only here to spread FUD.

Stick to your brown Zune turd dude &#38; good luck finding someone to share a "squirt" with...
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
probably around 70-80
There are alot of horror stories about failed iPods, and I could
have been one. I got a green iPod Mini in 2005, just before
leaving for china, as a free-after-rebate item with a new iBook.
The device worked well, until it started showing the sad iPod
icon about 2 months later (which is a nostalgic kick in the balls
to old-skool macheads like myself, btw). I couldn't find any
place in Beijing that would cop to being an "authorized" apple
repair center, and I wasn't in China long enough at that point to
send it back to Apple and get it back before getting to the
states, where I figured I would just bring it back to the Apple
Store I got it from. When I did get back 3 months later, I gave it
to the Apple Store, they took it, tested it for a few minutes, and
then brought out a brand new mini and handed it to me. That
was March 2006, and its worked great since then, although the
wheel has gotten a bit icky from me messing with it in the car ;)

My Bro has a Gen2, the battery life on it is low now but you can
get new batteries, people assumed that since Apple refused to
mess with it there wouldn't be a way but the market will answer
consumer demand, always does and always will, at least
eventually.

Also, I think AppleTV should count as an iPod, albeit the most
powerful one ever :)
Posted by DaiMac (62 comments )
my 2 iPod
I won the 30gig and 60gig Video iPod, I owned them for about 2 years now and they work flawlessly.

I looked at the ZUNE and I didn't like it, clunky buttons and interface, a poor imitation of iPod.
Posted by RompStar_420 (772 comments )
FUD
Your impression that "most iPods die after about a year" is
nothing but FUD.

You did not claim your own iPod died after a year. Can I assume
you don't own one?

If you don't own one, then why would you bother making a
comment about their longevity? There is no widespread
reporting of "most iPods dying after about a year."

If you do own one, and it doesn't work, I assume you would have
said so in support of your comment.

If you owned one for more than a year and it does work, you
would have had at least some proof against your baseless
comment.

If you have owned one for less than a year and think most will
die after about a year, then you will be pleasantly surprised
when is lasts much longer.

Have a nice day!
Posted by lesfilip (496 comments )
Your impression?!?!
Your impression is that most die after a year? You must not have
one. Probably afraid to buy because of your impression. My wife
and I have bought 6 between us. 2 originals, now in the hands of
relatives because we upgraded, bought many years ago and they
still work wonderfully. We each have a video iPod that is used often
for trips to the east coast and to Europe. No problems there. We
each have a Nano with Nike+ that we use for running every day. No
problems there. So, did your impression come from personal
experience, or did you pull it out of your a$$?
Posted by i,Jimbot (65 comments )
Sandisk, not Zune, is #2
Sandisk, not MS-Zune, is the second largest seller of MP3 players.

Here are the NPD-January share numbers:

Category: MP3

Rank Brand Unit Share
1 Apple 72.7%
2 Sandisk 8.9%
3 Microsoft 3.2%
4 Creative Labs 2.9%
5 Samsung 2.0%
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
So what?
This is a milestone event news announcement about Apple's iPod for Macs &#38; Windows computers.
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
Not a surprise
Flash-based units have always tended to be more popular, even back when Creative, iRiver, Rio and Archos ruled the market. Even Apple sells considerably more nanos and Shuffles than video iPods, despite the obvious content storage advantage with the HD units.

What IS surprising is how S-L-O-W MSFT has been in bringing a flash-based player to market. Did they NOT realize that such a device (or family of devices) was going to do better than another HD-based (sales) slug?
Posted by make_or_break (3747 comments )
Somewhere in Redmond Washington...
Big Brother Ballmer is throwing a chair at the Zune Team &#38; raving like the madman he is...

INCOMING!
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
He's an ape, not a rhino..
I imagine he just lopes around the conference room in a rage,
occasionally stopping to hoot and holler incoherently, then
proceeds to fling negative Zune sales reports at them like the
proverbial feces.

Ok, that indulgence to MS-hate aside, no need to be too hateful
to the PC dudes Setag, all it does is rile the trolls and turn off
potential switchers. Whether you love or hate the ads, I do like
the attitude of the Mac character, which is basically "I have no
problem with you PC, I just like to do things a little differently,
lemme know if you wanna know more about it, etc". People (esp
Gates) take that as specifically against PC users as being dorky,
slow, etc (although truth be told John Hodgman is the cooler of
the two, so I don't know what the complaint is about), but its
really more about how PCs aren't even bad machines, they just
have some serious flaws in the way their dominant OS works and
some of their lesser quality manufacturers put machines
together (Dell, etc). Much of the anti-Mac trolling and hate is
based not just on ignorange/FUD/etc but also on experiences
with Mac fanboys being rude and elitist. I know (been a mac user
for 20 years) better than most the litany of reasons why
Macintosh is a better, simpler to use system than Windows, but I
really try to combat FUD with fact without inserting invective and
ad homind attacks.

Just a thought.
Posted by DaiMac (62 comments )
100m iPods v. 1m Zunes...
MSFT has a really big job ahead of it if it even wants to hope to catch up... discounting breakages and such over time, 100m is roughly 1/3 of the entire US population. MSFT Zunes could barely cover 1/300th by comparison.

(cue lots of gripes about year-on-year sales, etc etc... but seriously; I'm just looking at raw totals here, and I see one hell of an entrenched market that the Zune simply is not going to crack).

/P
Posted by Penguinisto (5042 comments )
Doubt the Zune will be around 2 years from now
MS's commitment to the Zune isn't that great and they took a perfectly good player from Toshiba that had more features and worked better than the iPod and.. well, crippled it.

I don't know why they did it, but the results speak for themselves. I don't think it will be around in a couple of years.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
Doubt the Zune will be around 2 years from now

Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
What makes me laugh is...
What makes me laugh is Apple is focusing on Apple iTunes, TV, and that elusive iPhone (is Cisco playing nice yet?).

Where is the new latest and greatest Apple OS, and those fantastic business solutions and applications?

I find it comical that at nearly every turn there is someone to conclude that with a sales milestone such as the 100,000,000th iPod being sold, that Microsoft gives a rat's ass.

You have to be kidding, if you think Steve, or Bill, or Santa Clause gives a rip about this milestone. Naturally Apple cares, as well they should. This is quite a sales milestone, and I too would be proud of it if I had been part of the team that brought this innovation to the market.

But don't forget that Apple is now hocking TV and Music players, and perhaps phones in place of computers and OS X (?).

Meanwhile, despite the horrible reviews, the luke warm response (according to the media), and all of the bashing that happens at just literally every level and in every venue of news, Microsoft is still a highly profitable company with truly useful products.

Bash them all you want, but if you want a centralized management solution for business, or if you simply want to play video games, or anything in between, you CAN do it with Windows. You can do some of it with Linux, some of it with Mac, or even some of all of it with both, but you have to be careful, pick and choose, compromise, and in the end, you will still end up using Windows unless you are very technically astute.

With all that being said, Apple appears as though it depends on entertainment gadgets at the end of the day for a revenue stream to maintain profitability. Apple will always play 2nd fiddle to Microsoft (on balance), and maybe even 3rd fiddle to Linux as Linux surpasses Apple is usefulness.
Posted by UltraMegaChicken (24 comments )
UltraMegaChicken's FUD
"What makes me laugh is Apple is focusing on Apple iTunes, TV,
and that elusive iPhone"

You might want to look up "focus". Aside from your list they are
also "focusing" on computers, software, iPods, and who knows
what else.

"(is Cisco playing nice yet?)"

That's a joke, right. That's been over for a while now.

"Where is the new latest and greatest Apple OS"

Coming out right on time, just around the corner.

"...and those fantastic business solutions and applications?"

Check the Apple web site.

"I find it comical that at nearly every turn there is someone to
conclude that with a sales milestone such as the 100,000,000th
iPod being sold, that Microsoft gives a rat's ass."

If they did not care they would not be in the MP3 player
business. Since they do care, you can bet they are watching iPod
sales closely.

"You have to be kidding, if you think Steve, or Bill, or Santa
Clause gives a rip about this milestone."

Nope, not kidding.

"Naturally Apple cares, as well they should. This is quite a sales
milestone, and I too would be proud of it if I had been part of
the team that brought this innovation to the market."

No disagreement there.

"But don't forget that Apple is now hocking TV and Music
players, and perhaps phones in place of computers and OS X (?)."

And they are doing a fine job, too. What's the problem?

"Meanwhile, despite the horrible reviews, the luke warm
response (according to the media), and all of the bashing that
happens at just literally every level and in every venue of news,
Microsoft is still a highly profitable company with truly useful
products."

For now they are profitable and useful. Give them time.

"Bash them all you want, but if you want a centralized
management solution for business, or if you simply want to play
video games, or anything in between, you CAN do it with
Windows. You can do some of it with Linux, some of it with Mac,
or even some of all of it with both, but you have to be careful,
pick and choose, compromise, and in the end, you will still end
up using Windows unless you are very technically astute."

Sounds like a sales pitch to me.

"With all that being said, Apple appears as though it depends on
entertainment gadgets at the end of the day for a revenue
stream to maintain profitability."

You need to look up the numbers on this yourself if you believe
that. You will never believe me when I say you are wrong.

"Apple will always play 2nd fiddle to Microsoft (on balance), and
maybe even 3rd fiddle to Linux as Linux surpasses Apple is
usefulness."

And you know this because you have used your time machine to
look into the future? It is your opinion, and I believe it is wrong.
Only time will tell.

Have a nice day!
Posted by lesfilip (496 comments )
I laugh at your lack of Logic
Obviously, another rant by a WinBloz FanMan who has no clue
where our industry is headed or about the quality of the MacPro
and the power of OSX.
Posted by dansterpower (2511 comments )
Hmm do you even know how many laptops Apple sold...
last year? No? Pity. OS X? Next version will be out within 4 months. Hell of a lot less time then it took MS to get Vista out. Oh but OS X is only a rev update. Why? Because Apple has had a solid OS for year as is, even if Finder does suck butt.
Go away FUDboy.
Posted by Jonathan (832 comments )
Too funny
If Microsoft doesn't give a rats ass about iPod, then they don't give a rats ass about Zune.

Of course the Zune is not designed as a competitor to the iPod.
Posted by t8 (3716 comments )
"using Windows *unless* you are very technically astute."
Yeah, that kinda says it all.

So, if you are technically astute, you use something other than
Windows? Yes, that's correct. I use an Intel Mac running OS X, and
Windows too.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
I think you are misguided
You seem to imply that Mac X is not useful, and you will be wrong. Max X is all that windows vista would like to be and them some. By default(being a unix variant) its more secure and stable. Hell, Did you missed Vista problems with the cursor?? The same problem with all windows version. They are still using very OLD, OLD code from an insecure OS. All Mac applications I use so far are extremely stable, wasting a lot less time.

Xp was my last MS OS. No Max X is my default OS and I am not planning to go back.
Posted by yacahuma (530 comments )
Whiny response
UltraMegaChicken sounds like a guy that has a beef with Apple.
Apple is a company that sells more that just software or
hardware. Is that so difficult to understand? Isn't Microsoft also
trying the same thing with Xbox and Zune? So why laugh that
Apple has profitably sold 100m iPods? I laugh also, but that's
because I own AAPL stock which has soared recently!

You ask where their latest and greatest OS is? They have had at
least 5 major releases of OS X since 2000. All of them have been
ahead of Vista. All have been delivered on time. None of them
have been delivered with security holes so big you could drive a
truck through them. The next has been promised sometime this
spring, meaning before the end of June. It promises to be even
further ahead of the already lagging Vista.

In case you didn't hear, a Mac is a HARDWARE product. The Mac
can run Mac OS X, Vista, XP, VMS, DOS, Linux, Solaris, or just
about any OS you might want to drop on it. So, while my Mac
can run all of these natively, your PC cannot. That means that if I
want to run PC apps, I can do it just as fast as you can. If I want
to run Linux apps, same thing. If I want to run Mac OS X apps
like iLife, I can do that and, uh...you can't. So get off your high
horse about Windows.

Until you try it, UltraMegaChicken, you can continue to laugh
from the outside and never know what you are missing. Sucker.
Posted by i,Jimbot (65 comments )
OK all you Apple Bashers
I'd really like to know what the Apple bashers beef is? Why hate
on Apple? What reason? Did you use OS 7, 8 or 9 and hate it that
much? Have you actually tried any of the Apple products you
bash? Or have you just disliked Apple from the beginning? If
you'd actually give it a shot, you might actually see why Mac fans
are so loyal to their products. There are a number of tech
journalists lately that have given the Mac a 30-day test drive and
have been converted. Is that maybe what you are afraid of? You
sound as though you are afraid that you'll actually like it and
have to eat crow. That's stubborn, stupid and funny!
Posted by i,Jimbot (65 comments )
Not an issue with Apple, but with Apple Zealots
Apple has fine products. It's the few OS zealots that ruin the reputation of the products though. Look at those that repeatedly rant against anything non-apple and it doesn't take a genius to realize why people don't want to be like them. It's downright embarassing for Apple users with those folks working so hard to destroy any respect they may have had otherwise.

It really doesn't take much in the way of a bad apple to ruin the crop.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )