April 5, 2006 5:53 AM PDT

Apple: Windows on a Mac is here

Apple Computer said on Wednesday that it has released a public beta version of Boot Camp, software that enables Microsoft Windows XP to run natively on Intel-based Macs.

The software, which will be included in Mac OS X 10.5, called Leopard, is available for download now. Apple will also preview Boot Camp in August at its Worldwide Developers Conference, the company said.

"Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware, now that we use Intel processors," Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in a statement. "We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users considering making the switch."

Apple didn't specifically mention plans to support running Vista, the long-delayed update to the Windows operating system now expected early next year.

Microsoft wouldn't comment on whether the Apple software will work with Vista. The company issued a statement Wednesday afternoon: "We?re pleased that Apple customers are excited about running (Windows), and that Apple is responding to meet the demand," said Kevin Kutz, director of Microsoft Windows Client.

Boot Camp

Also unclear is what the Mac maker's move will mean for sales of Windows-based PCs. Market researcher IDC has already scaled back PC sales forecasts for the year, due in part to the Vista delay. And some analysts expect Apple sales to rise as a result of the holdup of the new operating system's release.

With Boot Camp, Intel-based Mac users can choose between running Mac OS or Windows XP each time they boot their system.

The move in this direction began last June, when Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that Apple was shifting to Intel-based computers. Apple also said it had been developing Mac OS X with the intention that it would be able to run on Intel chips and IBM's PowerPC chips, which were previously the sole processors used in Macs.

In January, Apple released the first Intel-based Macs with Intel's Duo dual-core chips. The new computers run two to three times faster than similar Macs with PowerPC chips, Apple said. Since then, speculation had grown about whether the company would enable Microsoft's ubiquitous operating system to run natively on its computers.

Click here to Play

Video: Windows on the Mac
Apple releases software to run XP

While Apple has prohibited people from running Mac OS X on anything other than its own computers, it has never tried to prevent Mac owners from trying to run Windows on their machines. Still, the company has not been a large supporter of the idea. That's something Apple Senior Software Architect Cameron Esfahani made clear at the Intel Developer Forum in March.

Customers, however, have been clamoring to see it happen. There have even been XP-on-Mac contests in recent weeks.

"This solves a lot of potential holdups to Macintosh adoption. While a group of programmers already has demonstrated that this is entirely possible to do, that method for deployment is more of a clever hack that no sane end user would attempt," JupiterResearch analyst Michael Gartenberg wrote in a blog posting Wednesday.

"Overall, (this is) a nice tactical move by Apple that will make their platforms and systems much more attractive," Gartenberg wrote.

Mac fans might remember that this isn't the first time that Apple has supported Windows via a dual-boot option. In the mid 1990s, the company introduced--and soon discontinued--Macintosh models that supported a plug-in card, which included a separate x86 processor for running both DOS and Windows.

CONTINUED: Good news for Microsoft?…
Page 1 | 2

Apple Boot Camp, Apple Computer, IBM PowerPC, Apple Macintosh, Intel

hahhhhaha
WHAT a suprise....!!!!!

Watch and weep you doubters.

A year ago I said this?

teeheeeee

This is HUGE. Watch. Listen. Learn.
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
Backwards
Let's see...

Overpriced hardware running arguably inferior operating system.

This isn't huge. This is anti-huge.

Huge would be OX side-by-side with Wista on a Dell.
Posted by TV James (680 comments )
hahhhhaha
WHAT a suprise....!!!!!

Watch and weep you doubters.

A year ago I said this?

teeheeeee

This is HUGE. Watch. Listen. Learn.
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
Backwards
Let's see...

Overpriced hardware running arguably inferior operating system.

This isn't huge. This is anti-huge.

Huge would be OX side-by-side with Wista on a Dell.
Posted by TV James (680 comments )
Thank God!
As a Windows developer that also loves the Final Cut Studio apps, this is what I've been waiting for. Life is good.
Posted by Jeff Putz (302 comments )
Thank God!
Posted by Jeff Putz (302 comments )
Finally, virus on a Mac
Gotta love Apple's confidence to take these shots at Windows.

From the Apple website:

"Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes."

Here's another shot at Windows for Apple's website:

"EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

It's plain to see that Apple hasn't fallen in love with Windows. I think it's simply about selling more Macs and getting more Windows users to make the switch. Good move by Apple. I like it.
Posted by Juster444 (33 comments )
Well
Viruses were on Macs that had Virtual PC installed with Windows. You COULD actually get every kind of malware that regular Windows users could use, though I know you mean this is done Natively now.

It is a good move, I bet this will lead to hardware market dominance, now that users can use both (and who doesn't LOVE OS X?)
Finally, virus on a Mac
Gotta love Apple's confidence to take these shots at Windows.

From the Apple website:

"Word to the Wise

Here's another shot at Windows for Apple's website:

"EFI and BIOS

Posted by Juster444 (33 comments )
Well

Breaking news
It's finally happened! Two operating systems on one kick ass
platform. This is going to be huge!!!

If Boot Camp (like the name btw) is going to be released as part
of Leopard, which I recall is going to be realased around the
same time as Vista originally was (ie this year) I'm assuming that
it will be able to run Vista as well? I mean who wants to use XP
when Vista becomes available (assuming of course it is better
and does actually get released at this rate!!!).

Also, breaking news just in...yep we are getting confirmed
reports that Hell has indeed frozen over!!
Posted by Angelfire1982 (6 comments )
Breaking news
It's finally happened! Two operating systems on one kick ass
platform. This is going to be huge!!!

If Boot Camp (like the name btw) is going to be released as part
of Leopard, which I recall is going to be realased around the
same time as Vista originally was (ie this year) I'm assuming that
it will be able to run Vista as well? I mean who wants to use XP
when Vista becomes available (assuming of course it is better
and does actually get released at this rate!!!).

Also, breaking news just in...yep we are getting confirmed
reports that Hell has indeed frozen over!!
Posted by Angelfire1982 (6 comments )
And so it begins...
I just can't imagine that somewhere in Apple someone isn't trying to get to run XP as a OS layer.
Posted by JJWhitney (32 comments )
of course.

It's called Red Box and has been around for years.

Leopard will effectively be this solution ultimately.
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
And so it begins...
Posted by JJWhitney (32 comments )
of course.

It's called Red Box and has been around for years.

Leopard will effectively be this solution ultimately.
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
All right you maggots, insert Disk 2 and give me 20!
Of course, boot camp won't have a Wizard to help you install it.

Instead it'll have a foul-mouthed drill instructor. :-D
Posted by ewelch (767 comments )
All right you maggots, insert Disk 2 and give me 20!
Of course, boot camp won't have a Wizard to help you install it.

Instead it'll have a foul-mouthed drill instructor. :-D
Posted by ewelch (767 comments )
this is it
As of today, I see no reason, barring cost, not to buy a Mac. You're
getting the stability and power of Mac OS X and, really, the ubiquity
of Windows. Apple's even managed to write all the drivers so
everything your Mac computer has, even the eject key, work on
Windows.

It's a 2 for 1 deal. Apple's sealed it for me.
Posted by iKenny (98 comments )
You just said it..
Barring cost.

That would be a HUGE reason for the majority of home PC users. This isn't going to make anyone switch to the Apple hardware unless XP was installed at purchase and the price was comparable to a straight XP machine (ie OSX for free to boost hardware sales).

Mom and Pop purchaser out there is attracted to price not gee whiz I can boot two different OS.

So, although I think this is great for the geeks among us, its going to have little impact due to cost issues for the majority of people that just want a basic PC to get on the net etc etc.
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Not everything
Apple has already stated that with the current Boot Camp beta things such as the built in camera, bluetooth keyboards and mice, etc... will not yet work.

Those must be planned for the next release.
Posted by ddesy (4336 comments )
it is?
"As of today, I see no reason, barring cost, not to buy a Mac"

As of today, I see no reason, barring cost, for me not to buy a 140ft yacht and sail to Tahiti.

Truth is, if one's not already a Mac luva, there's no reason to spend all that extra money for the computer and TWO operating systems when you can get a Windows machine for less. Yeah, so the mac has an eject button. Yippie. Thats not justifying to me the extra cost. My $800 clone-of-the-week can use virtually any part off the shelf if I need to fix it.
this is it
As of today, I see no reason, barring cost, not to buy a Mac. You're
getting the stability and power of Mac OS X and, really, the ubiquity
of Windows. Apple's even managed to write all the drivers so
everything your Mac computer has, even the eject key, work on
Windows.

It's a 2 for 1 deal. Apple's sealed it for me.
Posted by iKenny (98 comments )
You just said it..
Barring cost.

Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Not everything

Those must be planned for the next release.
Posted by ddesy (4336 comments )
it is?
"As of today, I see no reason, barring cost, not to buy a Mac"

I'm doin my happy dance!
After years of having two computers to be creative and business
like now we will have both one one machine.
And so ends the mac vs. pc debate "have your cake and eat it"
then go get antivirus for mac, what! a new business venture you
heard it here first!!
Posted by doconn7 (42 comments )
I'm doin my happy dance!
After years of having two computers to be creative and business
like now we will have both one one machine.
And so ends the mac vs. pc debate "have your cake and eat it"
then go get antivirus for mac, what! a new business venture you
heard it here first!!
Posted by doconn7 (42 comments )
Superior Hardware?
Even I, a computer agnostic, get so tired of Apple's marketing crap. I'm sure most of it is directed at Mac fans who will just eat it up without consideration, but the constant flow of self-congratulatory statements and likewise insults to everyone gets very old.

Saying Apple's hardware is superior is like Chrysler claiming the Pacifica is superior. Sure, it's a fine car (I guess) and it is truly superior to other cars ... but NOT ALL CARS.
Posted by frankwick (413 comments )
hardware is hardware
In the end, though, hardware is hardware. You're getting a far
better deal here not because the hardware is better, or even
cheaper, but because you are buying the ability to run two vastly
different operating systems at once. If there's an attack on your
PC side, just switch back to the Mac and rescue your files. If
there's a PC game you really want to play, it's not a problem. You
can switch back to your Mac once you're done.

Most people aren't concerned enough about the hardware specs
to notice that difference (it's pretty small in the end anyway). The
Mac has become the final solution for a computer.
Posted by iKenny (98 comments )
There IS a difference...
I've been playing around for a couple of days w/ my new Toshiba
Qosmio laptop, one of the better reviewed PC laptop lines out
there (a flagship model w/ an excellent screen and Media Center
2005 support A/V hardware). There's no comparison between it
and my PowerBook, however, when it comes to total look/feel/
materials and attention to detail per dollar spent...it's the
qualitative difference between a Jeep Wrangler and a Lexus
RX330, and I paid roughly the same price for the two. It's not
hype, it's not imagined...I've experienced it. Have you sat down
w/ a Mac and really worked one over--if so, you'd know they
build great hardware.

I truly didn't understand what the real tangible difference was
until having them both side-by-side these last few days.
Posted by shanewalker (57 comments )
Umm...
I don't recall anyone saying the hardware is superior to ALL PCs, but considering all the low-end PCs sold it's quite likely a new Mac is superior to the majority of PCs out there. You can definitely buy/build a better system, but you will pay a lot more. More than an equivalent Mac? I don't know.
Posted by freemarket--2008 (5058 comments )
Yes Superior Hardware
Maybe you missed this article...the Mac bested the windows machines running windows by nearly 40 seconds in the PHotoshop test...yes this is only one test, but it goes to prove the point that it is superior hardware and not a chrysler pacifica...maybe you can explain how the mac ran faster if all pcs are the same

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,s=1565&#38;iid=127601,00.asp" target="_newWindow">http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,s=1565&#38;iid=127601,00.asp</a>
Posted by grossph (172 comments )
Yes Superior Hardware

And I am a computer agnostic as well, I am writing this on an HP laptop right now...running windows XP pro...though I would rather run it on my mac at home as I have had more issues with XP then OS X, and don't go telling me I don't know how to manage my XP systems. I do this for a living

Posted by grossph (172 comments )
Hardware Superiority
Apples Hardware is Superior to other computers. Anyone who knows about computers knows this.
Posted by soupdawg30 (9 comments )
Hardware Superiority
Posted by soupdawg30 (9 comments )
Superior Hardware?

Posted by frankwick (413 comments )
hardware is hardware
In the end, though, hardware is hardware. You're getting a far
better deal here not because the hardware is better, or even
cheaper, but because you are buying the ability to run two vastly
different operating systems at once. If there's an attack on your
PC side, just switch back to the Mac and rescue your files. If
there's a PC game you really want to play, it's not a problem. You
can switch back to your Mac once you're done.

Most people aren't concerned enough about the hardware specs
to notice that difference (it's pretty small in the end anyway). The
Mac has become the final solution for a computer.
Posted by iKenny (98 comments )
There IS a difference...
I've been playing around for a couple of days w/ my new Toshiba
Qosmio laptop, one of the better reviewed PC laptop lines out
there (a flagship model w/ an excellent screen and Media Center
2005 support A/V hardware). There's no comparison between it
and my PowerBook, however, when it comes to total look/feel/
materials and attention to detail per dollar spent...it's the
qualitative difference between a Jeep Wrangler and a Lexus
RX330, and I paid roughly the same price for the two. It's not
hype, it's not imagined...I've experienced it. Have you sat down
w/ a Mac and really worked one over--if so, you'd know they
build great hardware.

I truly didn't understand what the real tangible difference was
until having them both side-by-side these last few days.
Posted by shanewalker (57 comments )
Umm...
Posted by freemarket--2008 (5058 comments )
Yes Superior Hardware

Posted by grossph (172 comments )
Yes Superior Hardware

Posted by grossph (172 comments )
Hardware Superiority
Posted by soupdawg30 (9 comments )
Hardware Superiority
Posted by soupdawg30 (9 comments )
They're so full of it
"Superior hardware"? Gimme a break. Nothing in a Mac I could build on their website comes anywhere close to the hardware I slapped in my gaming rig in late 2004.
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
aww diddums
peecee users running scared already. Damn this is fun!

lol
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
Dont you mean...
like 2001?
Posted by SystemsJunky (409 comments )
again read and learn before you speak

maybe you can tell me why the crappy apple hardware bested the competition running windows if the mac stuff is so bad
Posted by grossph (172 comments )
You are comparing numbers on a side of a box
They are meaningless, and anyone who truly knows computers knows that speed numbers are extremely misleading.

Stability, heat, and many other issues are more important then speed. My old AMD 2500 custom built rig can easily outperform Intel processors with comparable equipment up to 3 GHz and my rig run at ~1.9 GHz. And it does it at far cooler tempertures, using stock fat/heatsink.

The fact is that the numbers may appear to be in favor of PC's, but the hardware on a Mac runs smoother and more efficiently. That is why it is better hardware.

This is leaving out the solid argument that all processor designs are poor.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
They're so full of it
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
aww diddums
peecee users running scared already. Damn this is fun!

lol
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
Dont you mean...
like 2001?
Posted by SystemsJunky (409 comments )
again read and learn before you speak

Posted by grossph (172 comments )
You are comparing numbers on a side of a box

This is leaving out the solid argument that all processor designs are poor.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
Funny
If Apple consider itself so greatly better than anything else in the universe, what is the needs to get their hands (and products) dirty with a full install of Windows? It's like a BMW saying: "you are driving the finest cars of ours. But just in case you can run old, obsolete, Chevy engines in it now". Nothing wrong with it, really, I understand the purpose of making their machines more attractive to windows users. But that's where the problem is. Macs and MacOSX, per se, are not enough to lure windows users, which will keep buying cheap boxes, with Windows in it. The rest of the "we are great, we are god" kind of Apple's attitude starts to be a bit tiring. Apple is just another PC maker, one of the many. It's not the holy grail. If it were, they wouldn't need windows to show it.
Posted by feranick (212 comments )
*rolls eyes*
You have pretty spectacularly missed the point.

That was like a comet missing the Earth by 500 million trillion
miles.

Congrats! :)
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
market reality
This is just another piece in puzzle to make the mac more
appealing to end users. While I don't believe it will bring a heap
of people to the mac paltform it will aid two user groups.

1. Mac users whom have to use windows for software reasons
due to some apps being windows only. This allows these people
to have 1 machine not two.

2. Windows users whom already are thinking of switching over
but like to have a back up plan (or hand holding) case they don't
like the mac.

Both of these cases do not point to Apple needing windows to
show how good their computers are just the market reality that
windows has a lot of software lock in.
Posted by David Turner (114 comments )
I am betting
there are plenty of people (like myself) who can afford a Mac but want to run specific programs that are only available on Windows. If enough of those people start buying Mac versions of software, there will be more incentive to make a Mac version for any new release. Eventually, we may not need the Windows boot at all, except maybe to run older games etc.
Posted by freemarket--2008 (5058 comments )
Windows Inferiority Complex
You couldn't sound more Pro-Microsoft.

If you actually tried maybe using a Mac for more than a week
and nothing else you'll see why Mac OS X is a good operating
system next to the default standard which is Windows XP.

And for that matter see why Apple is considered the BMW of the
Computer Industry (which I have no arguments with, because
Macs are just phenomenally cool looking computers). Any
reasonable person would agree.

But by having Windows on the Mac, its not only there to help
consumers decide which is a better Operating system but its
also there to give them a choice. Which PC manufacturers
haven't provided in this Industry which stifles innovation and
hurts consumers. Apple has, and is using Mac OS X as its
advantage by providing another alternative to the standard
which is Windows.

Windows has been the standard for atleast 10 years.

You can't convince the sheep the grass is greener on the other
side in a day you have to move the herd slowly. And thats what
Apple is doing by giving what other PC Manufacturers can't.
Choice.

Also I don't see how Apple at all portrays themselves as them
"being gods or being great" they just make great software and
great hardware and if they do show an ounce of bravado,
wouldn't you think its well deserved? They've been working their
***** off and it shows in their products. Can any company in
this industry boast such achievements? Not likely (I can bash
Microsoft right now but I'm tired)

But I think you have been schooled in the MS camp for so long
you can't tell that Microsoft has dominated your choice to
choose.
Posted by ServedUp (413 comments )
Funny
Posted by feranick (212 comments )
*rolls eyes*
You have pretty spectacularly missed the point.

That was like a comet missing the Earth by 500 million trillion
miles.

Congrats! :)
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
market reality
This is just another piece in puzzle to make the mac more
appealing to end users. While I don't believe it will bring a heap
of people to the mac paltform it will aid two user groups.

1. Mac users whom have to use windows for software reasons
due to some apps being windows only. This allows these people
to have 1 machine not two.

2. Windows users whom already are thinking of switching over
but like to have a back up plan (or hand holding) case they don't
like the mac.

Both of these cases do not point to Apple needing windows to
show how good their computers are just the market reality that
windows has a lot of software lock in.
Posted by David Turner (114 comments )
I am betting
Posted by freemarket--2008 (5058 comments )
Windows Inferiority Complex
You couldn't sound more Pro-Microsoft.

If you actually tried maybe using a Mac for more than a week
and nothing else you'll see why Mac OS X is a good operating
system next to the default standard which is Windows XP.

And for that matter see why Apple is considered the BMW of the
Computer Industry (which I have no arguments with, because
Macs are just phenomenally cool looking computers). Any
reasonable person would agree.

But by having Windows on the Mac, its not only there to help
consumers decide which is a better Operating system but its
also there to give them a choice. Which PC manufacturers
haven't provided in this Industry which stifles innovation and
hurts consumers. Apple has, and is using Mac OS X as its
advantage by providing another alternative to the standard
which is Windows.

Windows has been the standard for atleast 10 years.

You can't convince the sheep the grass is greener on the other
side in a day you have to move the herd slowly. And thats what
Apple is doing by giving what other PC Manufacturers can't.
Choice.

Also I don't see how Apple at all portrays themselves as them
"being gods or being great" they just make great software and
great hardware and if they do show an ounce of bravado,
wouldn't you think its well deserved? They've been working their
***** off and it shows in their products. Can any company in
this industry boast such achievements? Not likely (I can bash
Microsoft right now but I'm tired)

But I think you have been schooled in the MS camp for so long
you can't tell that Microsoft has dominated your choice to
choose.
Posted by ServedUp (413 comments )
That little download is gonna...
That little download is gonna sell a heck of a lot of Apple hardware!
Posted by sanjef (31 comments )
Yes... Especially When
Yes... this will help Mac sell more boxes. Especially when they differentiate their boxes and then sign a contract with Dell as I predicted last year.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.inaniloquent.com/PermaLink.aspx?guid=dbad4003-5b93-430c-87e1-313f766c04c3" target="_newWindow">http://www.inaniloquent.com/PermaLink.aspx?guid=dbad4003-5b93-430c-87e1-313f766c04c3</a>
Posted by William Squire (151 comments )
Why?
&gt; That little download is gonna sell a heck of a
&gt; lot of Apple hardware!

That's a large leap. Why buy a Macintel just for the privlege of running Windows? More revolutionary would be for Apple to give users the ability to run Windows applications inside of OSX without having to dual boot or even use XP. But that won't happen because Apple has just become another PC maker. Goodbye innovation and choice. This latest news isn't innovative, and might be better news for Microsoft than it is for Apple.
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
That little download is gonna...
That little download is gonna sell a heck of a lot of Apple hardware!
Posted by sanjef (31 comments )
Yes... Especially When

Posted by William Squire (151 comments )
Why?
&gt; That little download is gonna sell a heck of a
&gt; lot of Apple hardware!

Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
I'd rather....
Forget xp on a mac... Gimme an OS/x to run on my non-apple machines and I'd give windows the boot completely!
Posted by weezeal (4 comments )