First off, congrats to Jason B. of Morrisville, Pa., who snagged an XtremeMac Luna SST alarm clock with detachable speakers in last week's Crave giveaway. We're sure Jason will never be late to work again.
Now, on to this week's giveaway. If you've been wanting to join the tablet-toting masses, here's your chance to do it for free, nada, bupkis. We're offering up an 8GB Archos 101 touch-screen tab, one of a few Android 2.2 tablets with a large 10.1-inch screen.
The Archos 101 sports an ARM Cortex-A8 1GHz processor. Considering the tablet's low price of $299, extras such as Mini-HDMI output; USB host and sync ports; MicroSD memory expansion; and a front-facing camera that can shoot both video and stills at a VGA resolution of 640x480 pixels are impressive, says CNET tablet reviewer Donald Bell. Note that while the tablet can't record HD video, it can play it at 720p.
The tablet has a built-in kickstand on the back that folds out far enough to prop the device at a slight angle, which helps with typing; the stand can also be used to keep the tablet upright for videos or photo slideshows. Instead of the aluminum-and-glass construction of the iPad, the Archos 101 is mostly plastic, meaning it's lightweight (around 16 ounces), if not rugged. As long as you don't plan to use it as a hard hat, you should be just fine.
So how do you try to win this week's prize? Let me enumerate the basic rules. Please read carefully; there will be a test.
- Register as a CNET user. Go to the top of this page and hit the "Join CNET" link to start the registration process. If you're already registered, there's no need to register again.
- Leave a comment below. You can leave whatever comment you want. If it's funny or insightful, it won't help you win, but we're trying to have fun here, so anything entertaining is appreciated.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified.
- The winner will be chosen randomly. The winner will receive one (1) 8GB Archos 101 Internet tablet with a retail value of $299.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via e-mail. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the contest. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Monday, August 29, at 12 p.m. ET.
And here's the disclaimer that our legal department said we had to include (sorry for the caps, but rules are rules):
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENT OF ONE OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR D.C., 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AT DATE OF ENTRY INTO SWEEPSTAKES. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, ALL U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Sweepstakes ends at 12 p.m. ET on August 29, 2011. See official rules for details.