Mac4Ever and MacGeneration say France Systemes, an Apple authorized reseller, sent a newsletter to customers that mentioned the launch of the new Mac Pro to replace older systems that will be banned in the European Union as of March 1. The letter said Apple informed the company that a new Mac Pro line will be released this spring.
Apple last week told retailers and distributors in most European countries that it will stop selling the Mac Pro on March 1 because the desktop system doesn't meet electrical regulations. The Mac Pro's ports and fans apparently don't comply with a new amendment -- which goes into effect at the beginning of March -- addressing safety and electrical standards for electronics.
Apple has not really upgraded the Mac Pro line in more than two years aside from some minor tweaks last year. In 2011, reports claimed Apple was planning to update the computer, but that refresh never came. Since it's highly unlikely that Apple would abandon the European desktop computer market, it was only a matter of time before it updated its Mac Pro line.
However, right now it appears this report is coming from only one French reseller, and it's uncertain what -- if anything -- Apple has told its partners. The company's last official word on a Mac Pro update came last summer when CEO Tim Cook told customers that Apple was "working on something really great for later next year," meaning 2013.
Apple today declined to comment.
(Via Mac Observer)
Updated at 9:30 a.m. PT with details about a second French publication, information about Tim Cook's earlier comments, and Apple declining to comment.