While Yahoo's earnings haven't been exactly stellar over the past few months, its Web traffic certainly has. According to new data from analytics firm ComScore, Yahoo had more than 195 million unique US visitors from desktop computers in December -- that puts the site ahead of Google, Microsoft, and Facebook for desktop traffic.
- Yahoo buys Vizify, firm that visualizes social-media data
- Yahoo to require Yahoo ID; no more Facebook or Google logins
- Yahoo testing app-install ads similar to Facebook's
- Yahoo taps TrustyCon co-founder Alex Stamos for chief information security officer
- Yahoo, ICQ chats still vulnerable to government snoops
After Yahoo, coming in second place was Google with more than 192 million unique visitors, in third place was Microsoft with more than 175 million unique visitors. These three companies seem to have been shifting around the top three spots for the last couple of years. Typically Google takes the No. 1 ranking, but Yahoo dethroned the Web giant in July 2013 and has kept a strong-hold on this position ever since.
Of social media sites, Facebook ranks the highest -- taking the fourth spot overall with more than 140 million unique visitors. And, of e-commerce sites, Amazon seems to be doing the best with sixth place overall and more than 116 million unique visitors. See the full top 50 list below.