"Existing domain and open graph sponsored stories will cease to have delivery after April 9," the announcement said.
The practice has caused the company problems since Sponsored Stories launched in early 2011. Facebook was on the receiving end of a class action suit filed in 2011, alleging that the company didn't get proper consent from consumers to use their names and profile pictures. Facebook ended up settling to the tune of $20 million.
The writing was already on the wall for Sponsored Stories last June, when Facebook announced that it was streamlining its advertising offerings. In a statement sent to CNET, the company said the changes to its ad platform made Sponsored Stories redundant:
As announced in June of last year, we're bringing the best of Sponsored Stories -- social context -- to all ads. Since this update makes Sponsored Stories redundant, we will no longer offer them as a stand-alone ad unit for marketers. Social context will continue to appear with all ads where eligible. Our social advertising honors the audience that people choose, so nobody will see information in social context for an ad that they couldn't already see.Interestingly, the very program Facebook is shutting down is similar to the one Google+ is just beginning to ramp up. In October, Google's fledgling social network announced changes to its terms of service that explained how a user's name and profile picture might appear in "Google products," including display ads.