October 12, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

Apple unveils video iPod, new iMac

SAN JOSE, Calif.--Apple Computer on Wednesday unveiled its long-rumored video iPod, as well as a new iMac and an updated version of iTunes that lets users buy music videos, TV shows and movies.

The iPod has "been a huge hit for us, so it's time to replace it," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said as he showed off the new video-capable MP3 player at an event here. "Yes, it does video."

The music players, which come in black or white with a 2.5-inch screen, will be available in a 30GB model for $299 and a 60GB version for $399. The new devices hold up to 15,000 songs, 25,000 photos or more than 150 hours of video, Apple said.

Apple products

Jobs kicked off the event by revealing a new iMac G5 desktop computer that will be similar to the current model but thinner. The 17-inch 1.9GHz goes for $1,299; the 20-inch 2.1GHz model is $1,699. The iMacs will come with a built-in, Webcam-style iSight camera with still and video capabilities, and a new Apple remote that lets consumers control music, photos and video from 30 feet away.

At the gathering, Jobs used the tiny white remote control like an oversize iPod Shuffle to play a Black Eyed Peas video and an "Incredibles" DVD and also to play home movies and photos.

The new lineup of features for iMac and iPod finally point the company more directly at the living-room space that Microsoft has attempted to carve out with its Media Center edition of Windows. Jobs introduced the iMac's new remote control and multimedia functions, called Front Row, saying they would enable people to experience music, video and photos "from the sofa."

However, the differences between the two platforms remain striking. Media Center PCs plug directly into a television or a television input device such as a cable TV box, allowing the devices to record television shows much like a TiVo digital video recorder, for example.

FAQ
Some details behind Apple's announcement
Following the announcement of new iMacs and a video-capable iPod, CNET News.com responds to some questions.

Many of today's Macs (and the new iPod) have a TV-out connection, but not a TV-in connection. Jobs highlighted only the ability to watch video on the iMac and iPod, without mentioning watching the programming on a television.

Indeed, for now, the video highlighted by Jobs is best suited for small screens, although Apple's software enhances the quality significantly for watching on a large screen. The 320-by-240 resolution can be expanded for a full-screen LCD (liquid-crystal display) TV or computer monitor, but will not have the quality of a DVD.

The cost of content
Then there's cost. With the new version of iTunes, unveiled five weeks after the debut of iTunes 5, consumers can buy non-burnable music videos for $1.99.

Tim Deal, an analyst with Technology Business Research, said he's unsure how consumers will take to the per-video cost.

"While I can appreciate the cool factor of portable video content, the price is a little difficult to digest," he said. "I think consumers are accustomed to seeing music videos for free from services such as Yahoo Launch and Comcast On Demand. Apple should give the videos away and charge for exclusive content only.

Related video
Steve Jobs shows off iPod with video
Jobs unveils latest iMac
Video comes to iTunes

"This will, however," Deal added, "be a real boon for video podcasting and provides another distribution channel for independent content."

In addition to music videos, consumers will be able to purchase TV shows one day after their initial broadcast. Offerings will include ABC television's "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" and the Disney Channel's "That's So Raven." It will take 10 to 20 minutes to download an episode, Jobs said. Each will cost $1.99 and will be ad-free.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger took the stage with Jobs to introduce the sales of Disney- and ABC-owned TV shows through iTunes.

"We believe this is a breakthrough," Iger said. "This provides a

CONTINUED:
Page 1 | 2

new ipod
i hope there will be a software update for the current 60GB to allow it to "see" video
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
new ipod
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
Apple strikes again!
WOW! I was just looking at the specs for the new iMac and I have to say that this is totally a Windows Media Center killer!!! It's amazing that Apple doesn't have a bigger user base. Maybe this will change things. Also the new iPod is really cool. I own a PSP and wish the thing had a video out. But I can still play the few games for it. I think I might have to get me a new video iPOD.
Posted by ZP (19 comments )
Apple strikes again!
Posted by ZP (19 comments )
Just Ordered Mine!
The 60gig jump is a nice touch...I never thought I would ever fill my 20gig, but it only took a few months. This will be a nice upgrade. (Also, did you see the new multimedia dock w/ remote! That is gonna be the edge over the comp.)
Just Ordered Mine!
video format
I'm assuming some type of protected quicktime here or something? Can one encode their own videos on it? So many questions and of course so little information. The biggest thing I hate about press releases in tech.
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
video format
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
what kind of remote?
Is it a bluetooth remote (given that bluetooth is built in)? The pictures I've seen give me the impression it is infrared; that would be too bad,
I think, since that means you have to be pretty much line of sight for it, right?
Posted by lwvirden (83 comments )
what kind of remote?
Posted by lwvirden (83 comments )
I'm going to sell my current iPod for the new one!
I gotta have it! Even if it's teeny.
I'd love to be able to pull it out if my pocket and show people my
video projects, just to give them a flavor of the project.

Definite cool factor.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
I'm going to sell my current iPod for the new one!
I gotta have it! Even if it's teeny.
I'd love to be able to pull it out if my pocket and show people my
video projects, just to give them a flavor of the project.

Definite cool factor.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since steve jobs loves to F over older mac users.

(macs only started shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)
Posted by Don Key (186 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod

(macs only started shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)
Posted by Don Key (186 comments )
Cnet LOVES rumors, so why no speculation on Pixar-Disney reunion?
I mean, it should be an obvious topic that could keep a reporter (who might otherwise be saddled with the task of finding actual news) busy for days!
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Cnet LOVES rumors, so why no speculation on Pixar-Disney reunion?
Posted by M C (598 comments )
I doubt they'll play on your 4G, but you can store them...
...in hard disk mode.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
I doubt they'll play on your 4G, but you can store them...
...in hard disk mode.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
And one mor thing....
The Emac is gone from the Apple Store web site.
Posted by winmanjr (11 comments )
And one mor thing....
The Emac is gone from the Apple Store web site.
Posted by winmanjr (11 comments )
battery life?
I wonder what the battery life on the new Ipod is like. The video capability and the larger screen would consume a lot of power, and what interests me is how long the Ipod would work between charges. Because, even the current Ipod isn't known for it's battery life.
__________________________________
R.K.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com/" target="_newWindow">http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com/</a>
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
battery life?
__________________________________
R.K.
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
For the love of God
shut up. It's a computer. It's meant to be improved upon and left in the dust. Either keep up with technology or don't. Don't complain about it.
For the love of God
Divx/Xvid Support
The first thing I thought of when I read this is, will it be able to play non-drm'd mpg4 files. Like many others, my computer has a pvr and i encode my favorite shows into xvid. I downloaded itunes6 and tried to import my favorite xvids and it did not add it to my video library. My mpgs did however load and play properly.....

If they dont support peoples favorite format (like they did mp3 with the original ipod) how can this take off?
Posted by Favic (5 comments )