March 22, 2005 9:00 PM PST

Yahoo bolsters e-mail storage to 1GB

Yahoo on Tuesday said it plans to once again boost its free e-mail storage limit--this time to 1GB, the same amount offered by archrival Google.

Beginning in late April, Yahoo will upgrade free users to the new storage limit of 1GB, up from its current 250MB. The company said it will take about two weeks for all Yahoo Mail users to see the boost.

Yahoo's storage upgrade comes one week after Google started offering Gmail accounts to random visitors of its home page. This has led to heightened speculation in news articles and blogs that Google plans to open Gmail's doors to the public on April 1, a year after it launched in its current test form.

Brad Garlinghouse, Yahoo's vice president of communications products, said in an interview that Yahoo Mail's storage upgrade was not in response to Google's latest moves. Instead, he said Yahoo is "paying attention to what users are doing and how they're using their in-boxes."

Since Gmail premiered last year, free e-mail has changed. Popular Web mail services such as Yahoo and Microsoft's Hotmail had offered strict storage limitations to their in-boxes, and required people to pay extra for additional space.

Shortly after Gmail was released, Yahoo announced plans to boost its storage to 100MB from 4MB, and then upgraded it again to 250MB in November. Subsequently, Microsoft said it would implement its own storage boost to 250MB.

Besides the 1GB of storage, Yahoo Mail will offer antivirus scanning. The service currently uses Symantec's Norton Antivirus to detect viruses, but prohibits people from opening the attachment instead of ridding the file of its infection.

Nice if hotmail delivered
Well Microsoft say you will get 250 MB but they are yet to deliver on mine.... no wonder I switched to gmail a long time ago.
Posted by imcdnzl (13 comments )
Hmmm
I thought all Hotmail users were going to get the increased mailbox size. I'm in New Zealand and in one of their help pages it says that it only applies to the United States and few other countries.
I think 1GB is a bit over the top (We have a 100MB quota at work), but if I'm away for the weekend and get 10 spam messages, my mailbox is alarmingly close to it's 2MB limit.
Posted by BazNZ (81 comments )
what about spymac.com?
What about spymac.com's free 1 gig email?
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://news.cbsi.com/Spymac+follows+Google+on+free+gig+of+storage/2100-1038_3-5185461.html" target="_newWindow">http://news.cbsi.com/Spymac+follows+Google+on+free+gig+of+storage/2100-1038_3-5185461.html</a>
Totally NOT true
Well, spymac, rediffmail, indiatimes, walla.com, gawab.com .. all offers 1GB of mailbox space. I am not sure of walla and gawab but rediff and spymac sure does !!

It would be real great if Hotmail came out with such storage space ... keeping fingers crossed.
Posted by (1 comment )
Who Uses That Much Space Anyway
Im sure some folks do but I certainly do not. I got my space from MSN an its rare that I ever use more than 2 percent of it.

I guess more people prefer to store their messages online but I download mine to my PC.
Posted by NPGMBR (281 comments )
Please check the truth first
""Company will join Google's Gmail as the only Web mail providers to offer 1GB of in-box storage.""

This is not true. There are other Web mail privider which give 1GB in storage.
Check rediff.com

Thanks,
Pathak.
Posted by (1 comment )
And check the fine print...
Yes, rediff.com does offer 1 GB of space... but only to those residing in India:

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://mail.rediff.com/registernewemail.htm" target="_newWindow">http://mail.rediff.com/registernewemail.htm</a>

Kinda leaves the rest of us out.

Gita
Posted by (1 comment )
Now if only...
If Yahoo allowed free POP3 access, it could be as useful as Gmail.
Posted by Jim Harmon (329 comments )
You Never Know
IF Yahoo! is boosting its storage because it wants to compete with GMail, then it is only a matter of time when Yahoo decides to drop the fee and let users freely use POP3 :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Don't be a Microsoft whore
Hotmail has always been the most inferior of all the main free e-mail service providers.

Don't ride Microsoft's ass.
Posted by ivand67 (40 comments )
Viruses and spammers
What with the attacks directed at warmmail and the spammers using it I don't want anything to do with tepidmail

so much for people who think it's coolmail
Posted by qazwiz (208 comments )
G-mail accounts to anyone who wants one.
If you'd like a G-mail account send me a e-mail to snharden@hotmail.com or snharden@gmail.com

I have lots of them to get rid of.
Posted by snharden (47 comments )
Agree!
Why WAIT for Yahoo when you can get GMail RIGHT NOW? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
What about the advertisements!!
They didnt talked about the ads!! my only problem with yahoo mail is theadvertisements.
Posted by (1 comment )
gmail
sent me a GMail account please!
Posted by (1 comment )