April 24, 2006 4:00 AM PDT

'World of Warcraft' battles server problems

With 6 million subscribers, each of whom pays $15 a month, Blizzard Entertainment's online game "World of Warcraft" has become a billion-dollar enterprise.

Now comes the hard part: Making sure WoW is always up and running. Some players are angered by ongoing server problems that have led the game to crash without warning while they were playing. Complaints have also surfaced about long lag times and frustrating waits to even play.

Despite Blizzard's contention that it's been keeping WoW customers informed of system problems at all times, some players contend that the company has been slow to react to complaints and reluctant to offer support when problems arise.

According to players, the problems have been especially acute since Blizzard implemented its last major patch to WoW, in late March. At that time, the company acknowledged it had some temporary server problems but said they'd resolve themselves within hours. But some players say that ever since then, they're routinely encountered "urgent maintenance" that can result in being booted from the game at any time.

"Being a system administrator myself, I have some understanding of what goes on in a corporate data center," said Evgeny Krevets, a sometimes-frustrated WoW player. "I don't know Blizzard's system setup. What I do know is that if I kept performing 'urgent maintenance' and taking the service down without warning for eight-hour periods, I would be out of a job."

Blizzard blames some of the problems--such as the disconnection, for several hours on Friday, of players linked to several servers--on AT&T, its network provider. (AT&T did not respond to a request for comment.)

It also argues that online games like WoW that have to manage hundreds of thousands, or millions, of accounts, are simply prone to network issues.

"Due to the complex nature of massively multiplayer games like 'World of Warcraft,' technical issues such as the ones some of our players have experienced recently may occur on occasion," Blizzard spokeswoman Lisa Jensen, said in an e-mail to CNET News.com. "Our commitment to our players is to provide effective solutions as quickly and carefully as possible whenever any such situation occurs."

WoW is what is known as a "sharded" online game. That means the game's many players are divided up among a large number of servers, or "shards," because no individual server could handle the full player base. This is common in the online games space.

As a result, players can usually choose which server they wish to play on, and each server can take on its own characteristics due to the specific guilds that play on them. In some games, like "EverQuest II," different servers can even have different operating rules.

Certainly, WoW is hardly the first online service to be hit by network and server problems. Over the years, services like eBay, Amazon.com and E*Trade have all dealt with various forms of outages.

And even some WoW players who are frustrated by the inconsistency of their game acknowledge that providing constant uptime is tricky, especially considering how fast the service has grown.

"I don't know how much I fault (Blizzard), since many of my own companies have had scaling problems," said Joi Ito, a venture capitalist who has put money into well-known online outfits such as Technorati, and who runs a WoW guild--or team--filled with other tech executives and well-known bloggers. "However, the uptime is really not (at an acceptable) level for a real commercial service, so I hope they get better."

Ito said the server problems have been particularly frustrating for him and his guild members because of the particular flavor of virtual "quests" they often run in WoW.

"Difficulty logging in (and) servers going down--it's become a normal part of our lives," Ito said. "It really does suck for us because we're running higher-level (quests) where it takes us a few hours to get to the (goal) and sometimes the server suddenly goes down right near the end before we finish. And they are unannounced (and) you just see people on the server--guild list--start dropping off."

Another member of Ito's guild said he too had been having problems with the WoW servers, though of a different nature.

"I have waited to get online the last couple times I have played," said Eric Haller, a San Francisco blogger and investor. "We moved (servers) because the old server was doing that, and now the brand new server is having the same issues."

Haller said he attributes the wait times--often about 10 to 15 minutes--to WoW's growth being so fast. He joked about how long he has to wait.

"When you live on Internet time, 10 minutes can seem like an eternity of delayed gratification," Haller said, "so it can be pretty frustrating."

Not all WoW players have experienced the server problems, and even some who have complained note that the issue may be slowly resolving itself.

"I decided to switch to another server over a week ago," Krevets said. "The amount of issues and problems I experienced were just too much for me. The new server that I've been playing on has not experienced any log-in problems or queues, so I've been quite happy so far."

In any case, with no shortage of massively multiplayer online games, such as "EverQuest," "City of Heroes," "Ultima Online" and others, on the market, some might wonder why angry WoW players don't just walk away.

But some say WoW has reached its 6 million subscriber threshold--no other American massively multiplayer online game has even broken a million--because its game play is easier to grasp for mainstream players. And because there are few other practical options for many such players, they feel Blizzard should take the performance problems more seriously.

"The thing is, there is no other real alternative" to WoW, Ito said. "So they sort of have a natural monopoly, and that's why people are so mad, I think. They can't vote with their feet. They just have to wait. And 'Blizz' has to realize that they have millions of hours of people's time hostage and should feel that responsibility."

Blizzard Entertainment, World of Warcraft, online game, Amazon.com Inc., server

Star Wars Galaxies!
I have been playing this and it's really unbelievavle to capture the Lucasarts adventure look all in realtime.
The missions are veery basic so far but read they grow in intensity over 90 levels of charecreer building. The world really feels real so far.
It's more of the total experince of being able to reach out and touch or 'live in' all of that science fiction art I've seen in previous 2D or some 3D more lighthearted adventure games. The artwork is just amazing.
Posted by Blito (436 comments )
SWG good post NGE? BWHAHAHAH
Your kidding right?

They destroy crafting
They destroy entertaining
They destroy creature handler
A vast majority of quest are broken

SWG Post NGE is worse then an ALPAH stage game
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
You're kidding right?
I started playing SWG the third day that my server was up. I was
about 75% of the way through the hologrind when they decided
to change that. I then managed to get my Jedi, only to have my
profession nerf'd because SOE dealt with a bunch of bounty
hunters who complained that they couldn't gank us anymore.

Then came the Combat Upgrade. I'm still waiting on what exactly
it "upgraded" because all it did was break everything. I had a
toon deleted because I logged out inside my house. Of course,
there was nothing SOE could do, because they said you shouldn't
log out inside houses (although, I thought that's what they were
there for... way to train your CSR's SOE!).

After all the adjustments that we made for the CU, and after
everything was finally getting back to normal.. they go and
alienate their fanbase by changing the entire game. My whole
guild on WoW are SWG refugees. I've kept in touch with some of
my friends from SWG, and out of the 48 in our guild that I had
contact info for, 45 have switched to WoW. 1 went to DDO, and
the other 2 just got so fed up with the way they were treated,
they won't play MMORPGs again.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but by your post, I'd assume that
you had only been playing since the NGE. You don't know what
an amazing game they ruined. Its not just what they did to the
game either. Its their customer service team, its their devs, its
their player liasons, its their whole attitude. I was banned from
the forums on SWG for asking when they were going to fix the
creature handler profession, and I made the comment that I paid
for a 3 month subscription, only to have them break my
profession. No cussing, no outright attitude.. and they banned
me.

SOE just wants your money.. they don't care about their players.
Don't let them fool you into thinking they do either.
Posted by thatxbxtchxnicoll (46 comments )
It is from SOE
One of the worst(and greedy) game companies in existance.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
Star Wars Galaxies!
Posted by Blito (436 comments )
SWG good post NGE? BWHAHAHAH
Your kidding right?

They destroy crafting
They destroy entertaining
They destroy creature handler
A vast majority of quest are broken

SWG Post NGE is worse then an ALPAH stage game
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
You're kidding right?
I started playing SWG the third day that my server was up. I was
about 75% of the way through the hologrind when they decided
to change that. I then managed to get my Jedi, only to have my
profession nerf'd because SOE dealt with a bunch of bounty
hunters who complained that they couldn't gank us anymore.

Then came the Combat Upgrade. I'm still waiting on what exactly
it "upgraded" because all it did was break everything. I had a
toon deleted because I logged out inside my house. Of course,
there was nothing SOE could do, because they said you shouldn't
log out inside houses (although, I thought that's what they were
there for... way to train your CSR's SOE!).

After all the adjustments that we made for the CU, and after
everything was finally getting back to normal.. they go and
alienate their fanbase by changing the entire game. My whole
guild on WoW are SWG refugees. I've kept in touch with some of
my friends from SWG, and out of the 48 in our guild that I had
contact info for, 45 have switched to WoW. 1 went to DDO, and
the other 2 just got so fed up with the way they were treated,
they won't play MMORPGs again.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but by your post, I'd assume that
you had only been playing since the NGE. You don't know what
an amazing game they ruined. Its not just what they did to the
game either. Its their customer service team, its their devs, its
their player liasons, its their whole attitude. I was banned from
the forums on SWG for asking when they were going to fix the
creature handler profession, and I made the comment that I paid
for a 3 month subscription, only to have them break my
profession. No cussing, no outright attitude.. and they banned
me.

SOE just wants your money.. they don't care about their players.
Don't let them fool you into thinking they do either.
Posted by thatxbxtchxnicoll (46 comments )
It is from SOE
One of the worst(and greedy) game companies in existance.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
Star Wars Galaxies!
Pretty good so far. Actaully being able to live in a Lucasarts adventure romp is pretty dam amazing.
You can fight or just build cites and mine for resources all in fully renederd 1st person 3d.
Warcraft seems more just about fighting as I'm not sure about the dungeon traps or if there are any other.
Posted by Blito (436 comments )
Star Wars Galaxies!
Posted by Blito (436 comments )
Star Wars: Galaxies is great.
I would just like to say, I left WoW for Star
Wars: Galaxies. I like the game much more, The professions are much better... plus, you can get a light saber!
Posted by Micron Spike (2 comments )
What, was WoW too hard for you?
Might as well jump to SWG so you don't actually have to work for
your jedi now.. you can just click and choose it.
Posted by thatxbxtchxnicoll (46 comments )
Star Wars: Galaxies is great.
I would just like to say, I left WoW for Star
Posted by Micron Spike (2 comments )
What, was WoW too hard for you?
Might as well jump to SWG so you don't actually have to work for
your jedi now.. you can just click and choose it.
Posted by thatxbxtchxnicoll (46 comments )
World Server is Down
Regularly I get a message after being booted from the server I play on "World Server is Down". This is after the server I play on was migrated to a new server in a alledgedly new data center. The lag issues have subsided somewhat. I still get lag spikes when looting or selling to vendors.

These issues are a constant threat to gameplay. You never know when a server might crash or when an "emergency maintenance" session will take place. So you could very well spend an hour or two working your way through an instance only to get booted near the primary goal.

All in all I am adicted to the game so I am forced to suffer through whatever issues arise. I am not required to like them. If I could find a online game as complex or that I liked as much ; I would immediately cancel my WoW subscription and move to the new game.
Posted by mmcduffie1 (2 comments )
World Server is Down

Posted by mmcduffie1 (2 comments )
I moved from SWG to WOW
I have never had a problem logging in (Etrigg)
I Sometimes in the login queue for 15 seconds or so, big deal.

The game has never crashed, it works, and CS is responsive.

WOW is everthing SWG wish it could be.
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
I moved from SWG to WOW
I have never had a problem logging in (Etrigg)
I Sometimes in the login queue for 15 seconds or so, big deal.

The game has never crashed, it works, and CS is responsive.

WOW is everthing SWG wish it could be.
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
I play WOW everyday and don't see too many problems
Since I have played(going on 3-4 months)

I have been booted off 4 times and had login issues
about 5 times.

Lag 6 times.

Overall game play is fun fast and I forget about everything else.

The only major problem I see is the Shooting bugs.
Bullets leave teh body then the arms raise up then down quickly. FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried Guild wars but threw out the game cd 3 days later. GW interface really did not go down well with me. So yeah Guid wars was a waste of money. I haven't tried EQ yet....... I will soon.
Posted by inachu (963 comments )
Boo hoo
I don't have your 'shooting bug'... maybe it's just like you how you don't get lags and servers crashes like everyone else except you get this 'shooting bug'. How bout we trade?
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
I have
Played alot of MMo's since UO then went to Shadowbane DAOC
and SWG. Tried Rubies of Eventied (free at the time) and a few
other free ones. Then went to WoW. Played that since release till
this last patch. Was getting bored and tired of the lag, 2 server
moves and 5 lvl 60s later I am now playing EQ2. So far EQ2 has
no server issues, servers have been up every time I have tried to
log in. WoW wasnt to bad before the .10 patch but after about 2
days of not being able to play since the server were not up.. im
threw. Your milage may varry with WoW depending on server
also.. but who knows maybe they will fix it...
Posted by Tiemmothi (16 comments )
I play WOW everyday and don't see too many problems
Since I have played(going on 3-4 months)

I have been booted off 4 times and had login issues
about 5 times.

Lag 6 times.

Overall game play is fun fast and I forget about everything else.

The only major problem I see is the Shooting bugs.

Posted by inachu (963 comments )
Boo hoo
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
I have
Played alot of MMo's since UO then went to Shadowbane DAOC
and SWG. Tried Rubies of Eventied (free at the time) and a few
other free ones. Then went to WoW. Played that since release till
this last patch. Was getting bored and tired of the lag, 2 server
moves and 5 lvl 60s later I am now playing EQ2. So far EQ2 has
no server issues, servers have been up every time I have tried to
log in. WoW wasnt to bad before the .10 patch but after about 2
days of not being able to play since the server were not up.. im
threw. Your milage may varry with WoW depending on server
also.. but who knows maybe they will fix it...
Posted by Tiemmothi (16 comments )
= (
"What I do know is that if I kept performing 'urgent maintenance' and taking the service down without warning for eight-hour periods, I would be out of a job."

Their outages are too frequent for people who pay $15 a month. They really need to get with the program.

Its been better this week so far... we shall see after the Tue maintainance if thye break more stuff.
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
1.10.1 patch
It seems that after they released 1.10.1 things got a lot better. After the release of 1.10 I was having even more issues than prior to the patch... and then once 1.10.1 was released it seemingly cleared up a lot of the issues I was having on my server.
Posted by Niekon (2 comments )
= (

Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
1.10.1 patch
Posted by Niekon (2 comments )
Sen' Jin
There are times we wonder if Sen 'Jin is the bad stepchild of realms. I moved over to WoW from GW a few months ago when SJ was a "new" server, when I inquired about the problems I was told it was normal. We were constantly getting major lag issues, logon delays and system shutdowns but things have seemed to get a little better since the 1.10 update.

As mentioned in the article I constantly hear remarks from other IT people that if our servers had this much of a problem we would be fired. The customer service does have a lot to be desired. I have seen people lose items due to server crashes, I had a leatherworking quest to make the same boots that I was wearing and when I turned in the quest it grabbed the enhanced boots I was wearing instead of the sets in my bags. I reported it the answer was tough luck we will not help which was the same response to items lost during the crashes.

Yet we still pay Blizzard for the abuse because it is addictive and should come with a warning label. :)
Posted by jwissing (11 comments )
Sen' Jin

Posted by jwissing (11 comments )
No different from when they first came online
These problems have been occurring with the WoW servers since WoW was first released a year and a half ago..it's nothing new. We canceled our accounts 4 months after release because of that, renewed them 6 months later, and canceled again. Unreal that after all this time they can't get it figured out.
Posted by mhedstrom (3 comments )
Not Surprising
Blizzard has a reputation for poor servers and performance
issues. Anyone who was shocked by the lag and problems
exhibited in World of Warcraft must not have played Diablo II on
Battle.net.
Diablo II is an older game, but to this day modern games like
Quake 4 run far much faster and with less crashes than v1.11
Diablo II does. The fan-run BnetD servers (that were shut down
by Blizzard) were a response to the rampant lag on Battle.net
that is still there to this day.
Blizzard also has legendarily bad customer service, even back in
the Starcraft/Diablo II days.

Everyone seems so shocked that there are major problems with
World of Warcraft's network performance, bugfixes and
customer service, but if you look at Blizzard's track record it's
not surprising.

Lots of people find Blizzard games fun, and that's fine, but it is
folly to not acknowledge that flaws that Blizzard has had for
years.
Posted by hamdoken (2 comments )
No different from when they first came online
Posted by mhedstrom (3 comments )
Not Surprising
Blizzard has a reputation for poor servers and performance
issues. Anyone who was shocked by the lag and problems
exhibited in World of Warcraft must not have played Diablo II on
Battle.net.
Diablo II is an older game, but to this day modern games like
Quake 4 run far much faster and with less crashes than v1.11
Diablo II does. The fan-run BnetD servers (that were shut down
by Blizzard) were a response to the rampant lag on Battle.net
that is still there to this day.
Blizzard also has legendarily bad customer service, even back in
the Starcraft/Diablo II days.

Everyone seems so shocked that there are major problems with
World of Warcraft's network performance, bugfixes and
customer service, but if you look at Blizzard's track record it's
not surprising.

Lots of people find Blizzard games fun, and that's fine, but it is
folly to not acknowledge that flaws that Blizzard has had for
years.
Posted by hamdoken (2 comments )
10 minute wait? not in our house
My son plays on Illidan, and he often has to endure a wait of 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the time and day he tries to log in. My waits on other servers aren't as bad, but my troubles generally occur during the authorization process or exhibit themselves as lag spikes. I pay only by game card and often go a month or two in between cards. With better service, Blizzard would certainly be making more money off me.
Posted by farthing01 (5 comments )
10 minute wait? not in our house
Posted by farthing01 (5 comments )
Problems are to be expected
The problems experienced with wow would have happened to any of the other MMORPG's had they success that blizzard has had. Their sucess has backed them into a corner technologically, and it takes time to resolve some of the issues they have been having. It's not as simple as building a new server and moving a realm to new hardware. They are building whole new datacenters to accomodate their growth. That is something that cannot be done overnight. It is what it is, and I disagree with Joi Ito's comment about their being no recourse. Several of the MMORPG's our there are just as fun to play. I do feel however that Blizzard could continue to offer more credits to make up for the downtime.
Posted by Fleabiscuit (10 comments )
lies!!!
The problems have been going on since the start of the online service. Dont you think they should have come up with something by now? And ok you say they building a new datacenter or whatever but when is that happening? When is it going to be done? Its been to long with lies about improving the service. Yet the customer gets the shafted left and right.
Posted by FFXI2006 (9 comments )
yeah right
Screw that man, you can build a data center in a week with the kind of money they have. Finding a site maybe take a min building the room with climate control and ups/power generators and getting all the equipment installed cables ran isp up. yeah it might take a little bit, but not years or months even. I would say 60 days would be more then enough time to get a 300 server data center up, with the kind of money they are raking in I would say that's doable. Now hiring training personnel that know how the game needs to be setup on the servers tweaking everything yeah OK maybe not over night.
Posted by cranbers (12 comments )
Problems are to be expected
Posted by Fleabiscuit (10 comments )
lies!!!
Posted by FFXI2006 (9 comments )
yeah right
Posted by cranbers (12 comments )
An interesting possibility
Has anyone else considered the possibility that a large botnet operator is wreaking havoc on Blizzard with an intent to extort?

I've seen a surge in what I like to call 'digital protection rackets' where larger botnet operators extort large (for them) sums of money from sites that rely completely upon online revenue.

The notion of course being, "Pay us $10,000 a month or have your authentication servers taken out by my 500,000 system botnet".

Or am I just seeing this through the lense of my profession (that of a security analyst)?
Posted by Niteo (3 comments )
An interesting possibility

Posted by Niteo (3 comments )
well if problems
If problems are expected dont you think they should put that in the cover before buying the F*&#@$ game? Also they should refund the money for the time lost. What is that called again?... lets say you pay for $15 a month then $15 dived that for the days in the month you pay for. And then divide the hours you lost not playing the game and just have them refund it. Sh*t people just throwing money away left and right. Yes they can make a kick a$$ game but can they really support the back end?

Hell no. and also how long has this game been out? Dont you think this issue should have been corrected long ago but no they still have problems squeeze every penny form there investment/hardware. Other Online games not as big I admit but they handle, and analyze there back end much better then WoW.

My friends and I left do to this. We are the consumers dont you think we deserve better service? They just take our money and we just have to pray you have a few hours of fun before the next crash. We use games as a gateway from reality please who us you can do better then we might return.

FFXI gamers
Posted by FFXI2006 (9 comments )
re
$15/30days/24hours=pittance

Have you played EQ? The servers never had the numbers of a WoW server, yet crashes(individual, zone and world) were nearly a daily occurance. If you spent even a week under the incompetance of SOE would you know that overall Blizzard is doing a good job.

4 times getting booted in over a year. Can't really complain. The queues however, are completely unforgivable. But whining for your $0.005 is pointless and sad.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )