July 23, 2005 11:01 AM PDT

Windows Vista draws jokes, scorn, approval

Technology blogger Josh Phillips is atypical of his fellow online community members in his unimpassioned, rational response to the newly announced name for the next version of Windows: Windows Vista.

"I have been giving myself a few days to adjust to the Windows Vista name before passing too much judgment on the selection," he wrote. "As with most product namings, this was probably driven by the marketing side of the house which, we jokingly say, has a two-drink minimum."

Thousands of others, however--including those who've left 135 comments so far in response to CNET News.com's story on the new name--couldn't help but form and offer an opinion.

About 45 percent of 3,000 readers who took a News.com poll said they will get used to Windows Vista. But 40 percent didn't like it, and only 15 percent thought it was the right choice.

News.com Poll

Like the name?
What do you think about "Vista," Microsoft's new name for Longhorn?

Perfect
I'll get used to it
Rubs me the wrong way

View results

Web discussion on the issue ranges from debates over definitions and interpretations of the word "vista" (apparently it means "hen" in Latvian), to arguments over whether the code name "Longhorn" would have been a better choice.

"The primary definition of 'vista' is 'a scenic or panoramic view,'" said News.com reader Jason Beaudreau, who likes the name and is looking forward to the new OS.

But referencing the delayed release of the OS, another News.com reader, "Jim," preferred the definition of "vista" as "a distant view or prospect, certainly descriptive of Longhorn," he said.

One of the more than 750 comments about a related story on Slashdot.org was from an anonymous reader whose reference to "vista" is the old Oldsmobile wagon. "Yeah, Vista Cruiser--perfect name for my computer when I install the 'Vista' version of Windows. Vista Cruisers are slow, dodgy and old."

Using a similarly sarcastic tone, blogger Veggiedude sees "VISTA" as an acronym for "the top five Windows problems: viruses, infections, spyware, trojans and adware," he wrote.

Others who are lukewarm on the name understand the marketing rationale for it. They say a name like "Windows 2006" would sound dated in a couple years, and Longhorn isn't a name that's easily understood around the globe. And they admit that the name might just take some getting used to.

"Had Vista been the code name, and Longhorn the proposed commercial name, you would have preferred Vista," a Neowin.net reader said in one of almost 500 comments left to a related post.

"That's a terrible name," another Neowin responded to the Vista news. "I hope it's not true."

"That's what people said over Windows 95, ME and XP," someone else responded.

Microsoft's advertising tagline for Vista is "Clear, Confident, Connected: Bringing clarity to your world," according to a video of the announcement posted by Microsoft on Friday.

The first beta, or test release, of Vista is expected Aug. 3. The beta will be targeted at developers and IT professionals, while a second release for consumers will likely debut ahead of Vista's final release in the second half of next year, the company said.

Does it really matter?
Does the name of the new Windows OS really matter? Look at from
this prospective. The question(s) will be: Has Microsoft solved the
security problems that they have had? Will everything work the way
it is supposed to? Will it be vulnerable to the ever increasing
number of viruses that plague previous versions of Windows?
Whatever the name. The best advice is wait until the release od the
second service pack before you get it. Or better yet switch to Mac.
Posted by HawaiiBob (46 comments )
It's really just XP SP3
All the cool and innovative stuff has been stripped out because MS
could not make it work. So your left with another XP service pack,
but this one you have to pay for. No thanks MS.

I started switching to Mac 3 months ago. OSX really does make
Windows look amateurish. So at this point I guess I don't really care
what MS does with Windows.
Posted by miketkrw (86 comments )
Will never approach the Mac OS
I switched to a Mac a couple of years ago. I think it's crashed once
on me when I did something stupid. Windows also only crashes
when you do something stupid...like start it up.
Posted by ismism123 (2 comments )
I agree -- who cares
You know, if they had called it Windows Secure that wouldn't make it so. The software will still be referred to as 'Windows' and it'll still suck. Crap still smells like crap no matter what you call it.
Posted by dmj23 (2 comments )
Does it really matter?
Does the name of the new Mac OS really matter? Look at from this prospective. The question(s) will be: Has Apple solved the security problems that they have had? Will everything work the way
it is supposed to? Will it be vulnerable to the ever increasing number of viruses that plague previous versions of OSX? Whatever the name. The best advice is wait until the release od the
second service pack before you get it. Or better yet switch to Windows Vista :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Does a name matter?
No, Of course the name does not matter. And yes there will be security issues. Bill has some fairly intelligent people on his payroll creating these software spaghetti's and as much as they are trying to make it secure there are even more brainiacs out there trying even harder to make them look bad.If it wasn't for the people intentionally trying to make Microsoft look bad "Windows" would for sure be the most productive, stable and secure software of all time. The little guy has to pick on the big guy to be accepted on any level. Personnally from a user's and from a technical point of view I am tired of all the petty remarks and criticism. Try to build a "Windows" OS of any size or complexity and watch. Someone will try to screw it up for you just because you are doing it. "Build it and they will come" and come they will with the technical expertise at a level equal to if not above that of Microsoft. Only they don't have any rules. Get over it people. Microsoft has the best product period. You dont become an 80 plus billion dollar man by selling crap. Man I could go on forever. I am so tired of this virtual war. Forgive me please but it's old news.
Posted by Tailwind (4 comments )
Windows Vista, VI, NT6, 2006
The first two letters in Vista are V and I. VI is the Roman Numeral for 6... Vista is technically Windows NT 6, and it's being released in 2006.

That being the case, I think it's a fitting name, but it will take some getting used to !
Posted by (1 comment )
Uh, what?
I cease to see the logic in your statement.

You're left having to explain what STA stands for, if VI is specifically in reference to Roman numerals.

gg next map
Posted by katamari (310 comments )
I din't like the name XP too...
I did not like the name XP too... but I am so used to it today. When the codename longhorn was announced I thought it was a silly name.. again I got used to it.. there is no reason why I would not get used to Windows Vista either!
Posted by walletless (63 comments )
Always thought it fitting
...because I've always understood XP as the common smiley-face (pronounced 'windows bleh'). To wit: it displays crossed eyes and a tongue sticking out, usually implying extreme dislike or displeasure, more rarely used as one of the smilies denoting death or being dead. Vista, unfortunately, offers less chances at humor. Back to constructing acronyms...
I never like the name "Tiger"
I never like the name Tiger too... and I will never be so used to it. Same as Panther :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
How about
..XP Reloaded?
Umm,wait...not good.Or XP Revolution?
How about
Tiger Trinity? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Windows Vista
Sounds like one of those cheap apartment complexes for low income families. Personally, I know I will get use to it, but does Microsoft really want its products to sound like a low income operating system?

At least with low income housing you can get government assistance. :)
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Rich People Use Mac
Personally, I know I will get use to it, but does Apple really want its products to sound like a high income operating system?

At least with high income housing you can get Mr. Job's assistance :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Hasta la vista windows
If you look at the extreme delays with the release of new version of windows and an everincreasing popularity of GNU/Linux (with Macs following), it might not be so silly to say that this might actually be the last Windows OS.

In that case, the name is really appropriate. It is basically saying bye bye: Hasta La Vista Baby. (says Schwartzeneger before shooting it) ;)

One of millions that got 'nuxified
Posted by cosmicall (27 comments )
Windows AltaVista.
gg next map
Posted by katamari (310 comments )
Vista will be great
XP is stable, highly usable and does a great job of working reliably with a wide range of hardware. Unfortunately security has been an issue since it was developed without a wide understanding of security needs in the internet era. But I still don't know anybody who has had a real 'problem' as a result of security and Vista will have the advantage of having been designed with a security minded approach.

Vista will be way better than OSX. Remember, Panther was released 2 years after XP and only then did it include features like fast user switching and OS supported file-system encryption which XP had all along. And I had to pay for Panther too.

I've used OSX as well as XP. Sure, XP has it's faults, but OSX can provide similar frustrations.

Now I will wait for the angry replies...
Posted by cturkin (59 comments )
A polite reply
Here's a thoughtful reply (at least I think so): OS X may offer its
own set of frustrations, but remember that the number of OS X
viruses, four years after its initial release, remains at 0. I'm
willing to put up with a few annoyances of OS X (I have some,
but not many) for an operating system that in my book is a safe
bet against constant viral onslaughts.

Also, please don't make evaluative statements at this point. No
one has really seen Vista yet; you can't compare it to OS X at this
stage. Also, remember that OS X Leopard (10.5) will be released
simultaneously with Vista, so Apple has an opportunity to catch
up (if needed) with Vista before it even is released.
Posted by iKenny (98 comments )
No angry reply...
...just a question. Have you seen the system requirements to run the thing? Any OS that needs that much power to run has to be garbage! It's just an OS; it shouldn't use up all my system resources by itself!
Posted by Michael Grogan (308 comments )
Don't know anybody with real security "problem" REALLY??
On using XP/WIndows: "I still don't know anybody who has had a
real 'problem' as a result of security"

REALLY????

How about the Billions spent on _prevention_ by the industry (do
you own virus protection??). I know lots of Windows folks who
regularly reformat due to attacks and infestation - sometime it's
easier to reformat than it is to clean up. For Mac users,
reformatting is relatively very rare, not "normal".
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Vista why its bad
The windows name "Vista" is crap, I seriusly recommend they should keep it as longhorn its a good name anmd also catchy, they need to think of a better name then that its not really a name i could like to get use to Longhorn is way better

Danny
Killerz-Tech.net
Posted by (1 comment )
Vista Windows or Medicare?
It is interesting that Microsoft chose Vista as the name of the next major release of Windows, the same week that Medicare announces that it will give away Vista to physicians. No, they are not the same thing, but there is bound to be some confusion. The Medicare "Vista" is an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system for physicians that was developed several years ago. Will Vista (Medicare) be running on Vista (Windows)? It would have been nice if Microsoft would have picked another name.
Posted by (1 comment )
VISTA = VASTLY INFERIOR SYSTEM TO APPLE
N/M
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
Windows Vista - Right Choice but ya?! Does it really mater?
Windows Vista is going to be great. I mean i have been following the road to longhorn and it certainly looks promising!
Posted by saurp7 (2 comments )
Apple's only good product is the IPOD
Come on this is an idiotic stament, Apple's OS Markets share is steadily declining and it's going to continue with the switch to Intel's Processors. Oh you forgot that Steve has switched camps to Intel? Hmm I guess they're not inferior processors anymore.

Stop dreaming and get back to creating silly web pages and useless flash spamination! Its sad because OS X is pretty solid but thats only because its built on UNIX, I bet you don't even know how to use your UNIX shell jackass!
updating it
Nearly ten years after last updating it, IBM has finally brought an end to the PC market's first Intel-based 32-bit multitasking operating system.
Posted by ip_fresh (59 comments )
You Never Know
Vista could be more stable and easier to use than XP. Vista could
be free of viruses, worms, spyware and the like. Vista could be
secure. You never know...

Then again, you could have all that by switching. I switched
three years ago, not because I didn't like Windows, but because
Dell customer support was so bad that I sent all my equipment
back to them and bought a Mac. Since then I've grown to
actually like OS X. If Vista is anything like OS X it'll be a good
thing for PC users.

Then again, the likelihood of that happening is pretty small
We will get used to it...
We will get used to "Vista", like people have got used to, "XP", "98", "Windows" etc...

Barbie,
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.vistaarticles.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.vistaarticles.com</a>
Posted by BarbieVista (2 comments )
Hope it's better than their video
The online video of the release of the name was TERRIBLE. Small,
poor quality, and poor thought out content. Looks like more of the
same from Microsoft.
Posted by billd222 (4 comments )