May 13, 2006 6:00 AM PDT

Why the world doesn't need high-def DVDs

Toshiba's HD DVD player is first volley in absurd format war among titans of movie, electronics, computer industries.
The New York Times

The story "Why the world doesn't need high-def DVDs" published May 13, 2006 at 6:00 AM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from The New York Times expires after 7 days.

DVD vs. HD-DVD
"What's wrong with the original DVD format, anyway? It offers brilliant picture, thundering surround sound and bonus material."

It is simple when viewing 480i/p DVD movies on a large picture ( mine is 110" ) the smearovision result simply sucks . This is why we need an HDTV resoultion 720P/1080i/1080P pixel count so when we view it on home theatre size screens we get stunning sharp picture .

The second part is the audio codecs have greatly improved and allow a much more dynamic surround sound track and and therefore enhance the audio experience for people who have hi-fi surround sound systems.

This in my case surpasses any Movie Theatre in my city of Ottawa ,Canada interms of total picture and surround sound experience.
Posted by rewjr (2 comments )
But...

they'll go and spend a few hundred bucks on upgraded hardware
and software.

If the winning format manages to build backward compatibility
in to the player (that is, allow the player to play all DVD format
discs in whatever region the player it sold in) then the current
market might be a bit more easily pursuaded. Otherwise it's
going to be a long uphill fight.
Posted by nightveil (133 comments )
DVD vs. HD-DVD

Posted by rewjr (2 comments )
But...

they'll go and spend a few hundred bucks on upgraded hardware
and software.

If the winning format manages to build backward compatibility
in to the player (that is, allow the player to play all DVD format
discs in whatever region the player it sold in) then the current
market might be a bit more easily pursuaded. Otherwise it's
going to be a long uphill fight.
Posted by nightveil (133 comments )
We do need high-def discs!
Although I think a lot of the concerns raised in the article are
right on the mark, I have a few quibbles with this notion of DVDs
being good enough.

DVD do not provide "brilliant picture". Their picture quality is
limited by the ancient NTSC video standard, and is basically the
same as what LaserDisc format provided since 1978. I, for one,
believe in progress and do not want to be stuck with 1978 video
quality from now on.

The whole transition to HDTV has been going on for years now.
Most TV stations are broadcasting some shows in HD. Stores
are full of big, wide-screen sets hanging on the walls. Cable
and satellite are showing HD. You can now get PVRs that record
HD. Everything is coming together. . . except some practical
way of buying or renting movies! The HD disc format is literally
years overdue, it's the main thing holding back HDTV.

As for planned obsolescence . . . Nobody forced you to throw
out all your old VHS movies and buy everything again on DVD.
Nobody is going to force you to replace all your DVDs with HD
discs.

The good news is that HD is the end of that cycle. With HD you
can view the whole back catalog of movies -- going back to the
1930s or even further -- pretty much the way they were meant
to be seen in theaters. HD is the end of the line, there's
nowhere to go after that. Oh, there could be 3D in the future, or
some kind of IMAX-like format, or even Smell-O-Vision, who
knows? But none of those things will make My Fair Lady look or
sound any better than it does in HD.
Posted by tonybelding (49 comments )
We do need high-def discs!
Although I think a lot of the concerns raised in the article are
right on the mark, I have a few quibbles with this notion of DVDs
being good enough.

DVD do not provide "brilliant picture". Their picture quality is
limited by the ancient NTSC video standard, and is basically the
same as what LaserDisc format provided since 1978. I, for one,
believe in progress and do not want to be stuck with 1978 video
quality from now on.

The whole transition to HDTV has been going on for years now.
Most TV stations are broadcasting some shows in HD. Stores
are full of big, wide-screen sets hanging on the walls. Cable
and satellite are showing HD. You can now get PVRs that record
HD. Everything is coming together. . . except some practical
way of buying or renting movies! The HD disc format is literally
years overdue, it's the main thing holding back HDTV.

As for planned obsolescence . . . Nobody forced you to throw
out all your old VHS movies and buy everything again on DVD.
Nobody is going to force you to replace all your DVDs with HD
discs.

The good news is that HD is the end of that cycle. With HD you
can view the whole back catalog of movies -- going back to the
1930s or even further -- pretty much the way they were meant
to be seen in theaters. HD is the end of the line, there's
nowhere to go after that. Oh, there could be 3D in the future, or
some kind of IMAX-like format, or even Smell-O-Vision, who
knows? But none of those things will make My Fair Lady look or
sound any better than it does in HD.
Posted by tonybelding (49 comments )
We do need high-def discs!
Although I think a lot of the concerns raised in the article are
right on the mark, I have a few quibbles with this notion of DVDs
being good enough.

DVD do not provide "brilliant picture". Their picture quality is
limited by the ancient NTSC video standard, and is basically the
same as what LaserDisc format provided since 1978. I, for one,
believe in progress and do not want to be stuck with 1978 video
quality from now on.

The whole transition to HDTV has been going on for years now.
Most TV stations are broadcasting some shows in HD. Stores
are full of big, wide-screen sets hanging on the walls. Cable
and satellite are showing HD. You can now get PVRs that record
HD. Everything is coming together. . . except some practical
way of buying or renting movies! The HD disc format is literally
years overdue, it's the main thing holding back HDTV.

Yes, I see a need for high-def discs -- and that's what makes it
so frustrating to see all this nonsense the industry is piling onto
them: draconian DRM, down-rezzing, the whole format war.
And, as the article notes, still not being able to skip the FBI
warning. If the companies really want their products to be a
success, why are they jerking us (consumers) around this way?

As for planned obsolescence . . . Nobody forced you to throw
out all your old VHS movies and buy everything again on DVD.
Nobody is going to force you to replace all your DVDs with HD
discs.

The good news is that HD is the end of that cycle. With HD you
can view the whole back catalog of movies -- going back to the
1930s or even further -- pretty much the way they were meant
to be seen in theaters. HD is the end of the line, there's
nowhere to go after that. Oh, there could be 3D in the future, or
some kind of IMAX-like format, or even Smell-O-Vision, who
knows? But none of those things will make My Fair Lady look or
sound any better than it does in HD.
Posted by tonybelding (49 comments )
We do need high-def discs!
Although I think a lot of the concerns raised in the article are
right on the mark, I have a few quibbles with this notion of DVDs
being good enough.

DVD do not provide "brilliant picture". Their picture quality is
limited by the ancient NTSC video standard, and is basically the
same as what LaserDisc format provided since 1978. I, for one,
believe in progress and do not want to be stuck with 1978 video
quality from now on.

The whole transition to HDTV has been going on for years now.
Most TV stations are broadcasting some shows in HD. Stores
are full of big, wide-screen sets hanging on the walls. Cable
and satellite are showing HD. You can now get PVRs that record
HD. Everything is coming together. . . except some practical
way of buying or renting movies! The HD disc format is literally
years overdue, it's the main thing holding back HDTV.

Yes, I see a need for high-def discs -- and that's what makes it
so frustrating to see all this nonsense the industry is piling onto
them: draconian DRM, down-rezzing, the whole format war.
And, as the article notes, still not being able to skip the FBI
warning. If the companies really want their products to be a
success, why are they jerking us (consumers) around this way?

As for planned obsolescence . . . Nobody forced you to throw
out all your old VHS movies and buy everything again on DVD.
Nobody is going to force you to replace all your DVDs with HD
discs.

The good news is that HD is the end of that cycle. With HD you
can view the whole back catalog of movies -- going back to the
1930s or even further -- pretty much the way they were meant
to be seen in theaters. HD is the end of the line, there's
nowhere to go after that. Oh, there could be 3D in the future, or
some kind of IMAX-like format, or even Smell-O-Vision, who
knows? But none of those things will make My Fair Lady look or
sound any better than it does in HD.
Posted by tonybelding (49 comments )
Very cautiou
I will consider spending money weh:

1. the HD-DVD/Blu-ray squabble is resolved - and NO dual
formals

2. Prices are reduced to realistic values

3. DRM is abandoned as draconian

4. Connections are simplified, and unrestricted

I assume that the big format DVD manufacturers have some
intention of including me a a customer. That is okay as long as
they come up with products worth buying. So far, they haven't
started.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
I could care less about
HDTV, HD DVF DD or whatever. Its crapola!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by paulsecic (298 comments )
Very cautiou
I will consider spending money weh:

1. the HD-DVD/Blu-ray squabble is resolved - and NO dual
formals

2. Prices are reduced to realistic values

3. DRM is abandoned as draconian

4. Connections are simplified, and unrestricted

I assume that the big format DVD manufacturers have some
intention of including me a a customer. That is okay as long as
they come up with products worth buying. So far, they haven't
started.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
I could care less about
HDTV, HD DVF DD or whatever. Its crapola!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by paulsecic (298 comments )
Finally! A Voice of Reason!
You are the lone Spock on a ship full of enterprising fools!

HD just isn't worth the cost. Yes, it's a big improvement over
standard DVD and TV but at what a cost! Re-buy all your DVD's at
up to twice the price, then buy an HDTV at somewhere in the
neighborhood of 10 times the price!?!

That is not logical.
Posted by Craig Stevenson (15 comments )
Finally! A Voice of Reason!
You are the lone Spock on a ship full of enterprising fools!

HD just isn't worth the cost. Yes, it's a big improvement over
standard DVD and TV but at what a cost! Re-buy all your DVD's at
up to twice the price, then buy an HDTV at somewhere in the
neighborhood of 10 times the price!?!

That is not logical.
Posted by Craig Stevenson (15 comments )
Talk to me after you've gotten a hi-def set
Regular tv is pitiful. DVD is a little better. Write this article again after you've purchased a nice hi-def system.
Posted by joshuaguttman (110 comments )
talk to me when...
... the average consumer can afford to upgrade to HDTV.

2 Key reasons why new formats fail:
- Price to upgrade
- DRM Overkill

Why should a consumer pay more for less because they don't have a super secure digital connection for Audio or Video?
Posted by TheShane (55 comments )
Talk to me after you've gotten a hi-def set
Posted by joshuaguttman (110 comments )
talk to me when...
... the average consumer can afford to upgrade to HDTV.

2 Key reasons why new formats fail:
- Price to upgrade
- DRM Overkill

Posted by TheShane (55 comments )
Another Beta vs. VHS war
I am usually an early adopter of new technology and was the first among my friends to own a CD player by several years. But I was also a Beta owner and will never do that again! Fool me once...
Posted by Shutterstuff (42 comments )
Another Beta vs. VHS war
Posted by Shutterstuff (42 comments )
I'll wait for blu-ray
This article presents an important point, so what I'm going to do is wait for the PS3's November release, and get one then. It's a pretty safe investment because even if Blu-Ray doesn't win, you're not disappointed because you're still left with an awsome game system. So It's almost a win-win situation, or more like a win--not-completely-lose situation.
______________________________
R.K.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com</a>
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
Same boat different ship
I will likely get the 360 add on for HD DVD if it's really cheap. I love the 360 so if I lose and it's only $100 then it will not hurt as much as the way UMD is doing.
Posted by Soulwolf (43 comments )
Same boat different ship
Posted by Soulwolf (43 comments )
I'll wait for blu-ray
______________________________
R.K.
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
Same boat different ship
Posted by Soulwolf (43 comments )
Same boat different ship
Posted by Soulwolf (43 comments )
Another NYT Make Believe News Report.
I think they also said: why would the world need DVD's? the CD's are enough. There was a prior NYT work on: why would the world need CD's? the floppy's can handle everything and is rewritable.

New York Times - All The News Fit To Lie About.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Another NYT Make Believe News Report.

New York Times - All The News Fit To Lie About.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Why the world doesn'n need the New York Times
When did you first become cynical about the press?

Was it when reporters started publishing opinion as news stories? Was it when some reporters just plain made up stories? Was it when the news being reported was spun with a political agenda? Perhaps it was "news" stories like this one that don't actually contain any news at all.

Probably more cynical than ever.
Posted by grangerfx (41 comments )
this is not a "news" story, it's opinion
Perhaps you fail to understand the difference between opinion and news. This is a column, opinion, not news. Certainly there are plenty of "news" stories in the NYT that contain a lot of opinion, which is wrong. But in this case, the writer is clearly offering opinion. It's a review. Hard to do those without telling people what you t hink.
Posted by daytona32174 (6 comments )
Why the world doesn'n need the New York Times
When did you first become cynical about the press?

Probably more cynical than ever.
Posted by grangerfx (41 comments )
this is not a "news" story, it's opinion
Posted by daytona32174 (6 comments )
Why the world doesn't need the New York Times
When did you first become cynical about the press?

Probably more cynical than ever.
Posted by grangerfx (41 comments )
Thank God for Fox News, eh?
sarcasm under deployment.
Posted by tundraboy (494 comments )
Why the world doesn't need the New York Times
When did you first become cynical about the press?

Probably more cynical than ever.
Posted by grangerfx (41 comments )
Thank God for Fox News, eh?
sarcasm under deployment.
Posted by tundraboy (494 comments )
Does Joe need this right now?
The author makes a great point, your not going to die or miss out if you just wait it out. This is a luxury you aren't going to miss see the pours on your favorite actors face. Also you NEED to have an actual home theater setup to fully appreciate HD. This isn't just buying a TV or DVD player it's more like buying your next car and you want it to last.
Posted by brian.lee (548 comments )
In regards to a home theater setup...
Most people could get much more out of their DVD setup with a home theater sound system. In regards to HDTV, it is a video bump. Though there is higher quality audio versions on it, it is nominal compared to dobly stereo 2.1 -&gt; dts 5.1 jump.
DVD didn't require you to get more than a player to get the MOST out of your current tv. It allowed you to expand audio in a new way that was not possible before. HDDVD requires new everything to get more out of it, and it's debatable if it was possible with DVD.
I'll be happy with an HD tv and upscaling DVD player for half the price.
Posted by ucffool (64 comments )
Does Joe need this right now?
Posted by brian.lee (548 comments )
In regards to a home theater setup...
I'll be happy with an HD tv and upscaling DVD player for half the price.
Posted by ucffool (64 comments )
Forgetting something?
Um, has any one else notticed that he forgot about one major thing? Good ol' DVD format is against the law to de-encrypt. So.....The new DVD formats will be legal to put on you computer and say, make a server for your whole house. Looks like: Turn on your TV, and your media extender (for windows Vista, of course) and BLAM! All you movies, just choose by cover art, by title or by genre. Hit play and you're there. That's where everything is moving. And when you can start just downloading movies, it just gets added to your list on the server. And life is good.

Try to do that with dvd's now and get sued (Case in point: Kelidescope is getting suied for their DVD server even though they "got permission")
Posted by cswifty2 (5 comments )
No, we're not forgetting anything
Any new technology will be so infected with DRM that your Vista
box, for example, will have to have a DRM compliant monitor
before it will allow you to play movies at full rez.

It's time to start reading books again.
Posted by rcrusoe (1305 comments )