September 6, 2005 8:54 AM PDT

TiVo on promotion drive

Related Stories

TiVo taps Opsware for expansion-plan help

August 29, 2005

TiVo hints at future enhancements

August 5, 2005
A correction was made to this story. Read below for details.
TiVo boxes will be available with a $150 rebate through Nov. 27 this year, the company announced Tuesday.

With the mail-in discount, the Series2 40-hour digital video recorder will cost $49.99 including service activation, the DVR maker said, claiming that this is the lowest price ever for a DVR. The rebate does not pertain to DirecTV DVRs with TiVo. Buyers will have to activate their service before Jan. 15, 2006, to qualify for the rebate.

The marketing push comes after a recent drop in the company's business. Additions to its fee-based TV recording service in the second quarter fell to 254,000 subscribers from 288,000 in the same quarter a year earlier. The drop is mainly due to a 5 percent decline in new customers from DirecTV, TiVo's biggest source of new customers. DirecTV has said it plans to stop marketing products of Alviso, Calif.-based TiVo.

The service provider also unveiled a contest to encourage referrals. The winner will get $25,000 and a TiVo-branded Mini Cooper. Members of the TiVo Rewards program with 25,000 points to their credit before the contest start date of Nov. 27, will be eligible to participate. They also need to submit a creative video about their qualifications as a TiVo ambassador, an essay about TiVo and a testimonial from a friend recommending the service. The contest closes on Dec. 31.

"Every day I run into subscribers who tell me, 'You wouldn't believe how many TiVo boxes I've sold.' Now we're giving them a chance to prove it," Tom Rogers, CEO of TiVo, said in a statement.

Correction: This story incorrectly stated the duration of TiVo's mail-in rebate. The device will be available with the rebate until late November.

Approaching desperation....
n/t
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Approaching desperation....
n/t
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
TiVo's Great, But...
TiVo is great but it does not offer any content. I still need to pay for
a content provider on top of the fees to TiVo. That's not much of a
bargain.

Also, TiVo doesn't offer the same software set of features for their
Mac subscribes. To be able to get content off of the TiVo and on to
my Mac, I have to use one hack or another.
TiVo's Great, But...
TiVo is great but it does not offer any content. I still need to pay for
a content provider on top of the fees to TiVo. That's not much of a
bargain.

Also, TiVo doesn't offer the same software set of features for their
Mac subscribes. To be able to get content off of the TiVo and on to
my Mac, I have to use one hack or another.
Why bother?
My Cable company gives me a great HD-DVR for $6.00/mo. Why pay for a TIVO, THEN pay for cable on top of it?

Tivo needs to broaden their business model or else they are in trouble.
Posted by PerfectCr (17 comments )
Comcast's DVR
I tried out the Comcast DVR for about a week and have never been so appalled by a user interface in my life. Sure, you think you're getting a great bargain and you probably are conceptually, but then you try using the product and figure out that it is a waste of time and cash. The Tivo's interface is top notch, which is one of the reasons why they are still the top dog when it comes to DVRs.
Posted by David Dudley (446 comments )
Why bother?

Tivo needs to broaden their business model or else they are in trouble.
Posted by PerfectCr (17 comments )
Comcast's DVR
Posted by David Dudley (446 comments )
Tivo Rebates = Scam
I went and got myself a Tivo 2 a few months with the promise that Tivo would give me a check for 100$. So I fill out the rebate form just like Tivo wants me to, with their special number as requested and a few weeks later, I check on the status and it says I have been declined. The reason? An incorrect DVR number. So I check the copy I made and yep, Tivo is full of crap. Personally, I think their rebates are big scam to lure people into get a DVR for near free. The proof? My brother in law and one of my friends also didn't get their rebates from Tivo.

Personally, I would avoid the Tivo rebate offer.
Posted by David Dudley (446 comments )
Exactly
Yep, forget the rebates. If they want to sell it to me for $49.99, then charge that at the register! Until then, no Tivo for me.
Posted by PerfectCr (17 comments )
Screw up maybe... scam, no
I've received 3 rebates for tivos in the last several years. No
problems with any of them. One of them was sent late... I still got
the rebate.

I'll probably buy a new one with this new promotion, though I really
wish they would just drop the price. If they would just give you an
instant option for the discount as long as you add the service
option at the same time. Hm... Stupid retail model sucks.
Posted by mahuti (24 comments )
Tivo Rebates = Scam

Personally, I would avoid the Tivo rebate offer.
Posted by David Dudley (446 comments )
Exactly
Posted by PerfectCr (17 comments )
Screw up maybe... scam, no
I've received 3 rebates for tivos in the last several years. No
problems with any of them. One of them was sent late... I still got
the rebate.

I'll probably buy a new one with this new promotion, though I really
wish they would just drop the price. If they would just give you an
instant option for the discount as long as you add the service
option at the same time. Hm... Stupid retail model sucks.
Posted by mahuti (24 comments )
Tivo: Software=YES Hardware=NO
I LOVE the Tivo software interface. However, the hardware is wimpy compared to my Cox HD-DVR. I want to record in HD AND have two tuners. I also don't want to worry about the thing breaking. I was an early adopter of Tivo, but they failed to keep up the pace of hardware innovation.
To be fair, my Cox DVR has a totally suck-job interface that looks like a throwback to the days of bad MS-DOS apps. Tivo should just license its software and clean up on royalties while it can. I'd happily pay $5.00 extra a month for Tivo software on my Cox box.
Posted by Willie Winkie (123 comments )
They did indeed license their sw
Tivo licensed their sw to both DirecTV and now to Comcast. The DirecTV DVR could in fact record HDTV content (something Roku never did release) and hopefully, the future Comcast Tivo will be able to.

But, in a way, the Tivo has moved up a bit beyond just HDTV. You can also purchase a Humax Tivo/DVD Recorder and burn your recorded tv shows to a blank dvd. Kinda cool for those that don't want to spend 4 hours downloading a show from their Tivo 2.

I just want to mention that the new version of Tivo desktop software sucks a fattie. They attempted to stop users from transcoding downloaded shows to a different format by specifically blocking TMPEG and Dr.DiVX. Luckily, there are two easy ways to circumvent their locks, one involving a simplistic hex edit of a dll. So, the point is - if you like to transcode your Tivo movies, DO NOT DOWNLOAD Tivo desktop 2.1. Keep 2.0 installed since there is absolutely no reason to "upgrade" to the latest and greatest version.
Posted by David Dudley (446 comments )
Tivo: Software=YES Hardware=NO
Posted by Willie Winkie (123 comments )
They did indeed license their sw

Posted by David Dudley (446 comments )
ReplayTV could make a comeback
TiVo has had it's days. Time for Replay to make it's comeback under Denon/Marantz holdings. I'm still using my Replay3030 purchased in June of 2000, upgraded to a 160 gig hard drive. No monthly service fee. Cost me about $300 total from Mercata. Used every single day. Tried a TiVo, went with Replay and have never regretted it.
Posted by Anon-Y-mous (124 comments )
Agree agree
I too have a RTV and I love it. TiVo just has a pretty interface and a cute logo and nothing else. Oh, BTW, now TiVo users have to watch on-screen ads while they skip TV ads, how funny is that?
Posted by Jess McLean (61 comments )
ReplayTV could make a comeback
Posted by Anon-Y-mous (124 comments )
Agree agree
Posted by Jess McLean (61 comments )
Best Buy sells DirecTV DVR's for free
Price is $99.99 with a $100 rebate from DirecTV. But, the DVR
service costs still apply.

This unit is rapidly going obsolete as DirecTV shifts over to the
HDTV format. So they are anxious to get rid of them. I have a
hunch that TiVo is even more anxious to dump theirs.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Best Buy sells DirecTV DVR's for free
Price is $99.99 with a $100 rebate from DirecTV. But, the DVR
service costs still apply.

This unit is rapidly going obsolete as DirecTV shifts over to the
HDTV format. So they are anxious to get rid of them. I have a
hunch that TiVo is even more anxious to dump theirs.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )