September 6, 2006 5:38 PM PDT

The winning ways of 'Warcraft'

AUSTIN, Texas--If there was one piece of noteworthy news that came out of the first day of the annual Austin Game Conference here Wednesday, it was that "World of Warcraft" publisher Blizzard Entertainment provided keynote entertainment.

Since the 2004 launch of the smash hit--which is now approaching 7 million paying subscribers and $1 billion in annual sales--Blizzard has been hard to find at the plethora of video game industry events, a rarity among major publishers.

And while Rob Pardo, vice president of game design, didn't reveal any news in his morning speech, he did pull back the curtain on what Blizzard sees as the keys to the company's runaway success with "WoW."

"What we thought would be cooler for most people is to give them a reason for killing other than that experience bar."
--Rob Pardo, Blizzard VP of game design

Around 2,500 video game industry professionals are gathering here for AGC, a conference focusing mainly on online games. During the course of the three-day event, attendees will choose from panels discussing things like "the future of virtual worlds," "moving beyond men in tights" and "the future of player interaction," as well as keynotes by Pardo, Academy Award-winning producer Jon Landau and Hugo award-winning author Vernor Vinge.

"Wow" sales have dwarfed those of competitors like Sony Online's "EverQuest" and "EverQuest II," NCSoft's "City of Heroes" and "City of Villains," and old massively multiplayer online (MMO) games like Origin's "Ultima Online." According to Pardo, the popularity of "WoW" is due in part to easier game play, a more intuitive interface and the broad appeal of millions of potential playmates.

"The first mantra of Blizzard is definitely 'easy to learn, difficult to master,'" Pardo said. "Depth comes first and accessibility later."

Blizzard had been developing well-received games like "Warcraft" and "Diablo" for years before "WoW" launched in late 2004. According to Pardo, one key to the company's approach is that developers first figure out how to make the game play fun and then they work on completing the many levels of play.

He said some other game companies make the mistake of trying to build all their games' levels at once, and in the process, they forget that a game must have a deep sense of fun or players won't stick around.

He also said that while "WoW" is a multiplayer game, Blizzard is aware that many users want to play solo, at least for a while. Thus, the company puts a lot of effort into designing experiences for players to enjoy alone.

For example, he said, "WoW" dungeons are built to appeal to the game's core players, but they are also a place where single players can have fun slaying beasts and accumulating loot. Further, he added, such experiences can help solo players see the benefits of playing alongside others.

"It becomes kind of a bridge for casual players to become a little more hard core," he said.

Once the depth of the game design is out of the way, Pardo said, Blizzard then works on accessibility, and that begins with usability.

He said that a common pitfall for MMO game publishers is trying to make too many things accessible from the user interface.

Instead, he said, Blizzard focuses on making the user interface easy to work with and giving players a way to find what they need immediately. But they have to dig a little deeper for more complex features and items.

Blizzard Entertainment, World of Warcraft, EverQuest, publisher, online game

Color Appeal
I think something too many people miss is how vibrant and colorful WoW really is. One of the first things players notice is how "cartoon" the characters look compared to other games that go for realism. Playing in a city full of grey brick walls is not as fun as a city with vibrant colors.
Posted by zaznet (1138 comments )
Actually one of my dislikes
I don't like the cartoony feel of WoW, makes it feel childish.
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
Definately
One of the first things I remember standing out about the look and feel of the game world was my first trip to Stormwind. The colors they used, the style of the structures and roads, right down to the background music, made me stop and say to myself:

"This place is just like Disney World."

From that point on I noticed that a lot of the game, particularly the capital cities, seem to take that approach. Even the Horde towns incorporate that feel.

Thinking about it, that makes sense. WDW is designed, down to the minute detail, to make a visitor's experience there to be an extremely pleasant one. The bright colors they use are a big part of that. Who better to copy than them?

I've seen games that go for a more "realistic" feel to their art. Honestly, I find those games to become boring quickly. Everything looks the same. Places blend together in a dull mix of greys and browns. Bleh.

I deal with realism every day in real life. I prefer my fantasy escape to be, well, a bit more fantastic.
Posted by LordSnotrag (64 comments )
actually...
"What we thought would be cooler for most people is to give
them a reason for killing other than that experience bar."

The game isn't that fun after you high level 60 currently the
highest level in the game. Your object just changes from XP bar
to spending 5hours a day running through an area with 40 other
people and trying to get that next piece of shiny armour, than
literally do it again for the Tier 2 set of that shiny armour. PVP is
the same kill as many other players as you can to get that next
piece in the PVP set. Can you say boring?
Posted by brian.lee (548 comments )
That's the downfall of MMO's
It is why I stopped playing EQ after a year and half. I haven't played an MMO in over three years. I have been playing a trial of WOW, and I can definitely agree they made it easier to play. There is much less grind to the game. If you can solve the puzzle on how to keep an MMO from getting stale when you reach the top, you will be a VERY rich man. :)
Posted by bemenaker (438 comments )
not fun after 60?
i don't agree that there is nothing new to do after level 60. yes, some people fall into into a raid guild and spend the rest of thier days grinding high level instances with little chance of winning those epic items. but there is of course pvp which has improved quiet a bit since the cross realm battlegrounds implimentation. there is a TON of reputations quests. you can work on your tradecraft/business, hel pother guild member to level as a mentor, or organize your own guild.
Posted by randymorris (6 comments )
I disagree...
I have played since the first day (probably need a support group). When I first got a lvl 60 I created another lvl 60 :P. Since I think levling the different classes is the most fun.

Since they have added the multi-server battle grounds an reps quests there is a ton to do. joining a guild and helping our the lower levels is great fun also.

Professions are extremely fun also collecing the recipes and loot required is a cool and exciting task most of the time (with a good group)
Posted by hippiex (2 comments )
hahaha L0SER!!!
Thats why I have a life and I make money at my job..

go flip some more burgers dude! the pimples will leave your face someday!
Posted by baswwe (299 comments )
Because its Stable
I have played both WoW and Star Wars Galaxies. WoW is successful because unlike SWG it has not had 2 major rewrites in 3 years with each re-write dumbing down the game even more. I have rarely is ever run into a game/enjoyment stopping bug, SWG it happens ever single log in and they can go years without being fixed. Where Wow has grown by leaps and bounds, SWG has done every thing possible to drive it's vetrean players away as fast as possible, many to WoW itself
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
WoW Players Looking...
There are a lot of WoW players looking for something "more" to do. Lots of other MMO games are coming out trying new things and using some of what Blizzard explains is responsible for it's own success.
Posted by zaznet (1138 comments )
You don't play much do you?
Stability is still a huge problem on many realms. Every month there is additional downtime for 12-20 realms to fix stability and latency issues.
Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )
Destroyers of the game
Blizzard invented an RPG with no locked doors or even doors, for that matter, and consolidated the loot and items to all mean basically the same thing, money, oh except for the fighting part. What really does fighting have to do with a game as a whole. A game should teach people how to think and react, not just kill with repetitive addictive game-play. When teaching someone an art form you shouldn't teach them how to kill first but how to defend and use brains to avoid heavy confrontation when able. I tried the whole Diablo demo and Warcraft is no different.
This has just propelled the WarFEAR generation

They can't skirt their responsibility to the community that they contributed heavily to the 40 percent of the gaming community addiction problem and there is a large drug abuse problem with gaming today as well that's getting worse.

Tom's Hardware:
Gaming's New Drug Culture: Sex, Drugs and Counter-Strike
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/08/29/gamings_new_drug_culture/" target="_newWindow">http://www.twitchguru.com/2006/08/29/gamings_new_drug_culture/</a>

A game shouldn't try to make people addicted to virtual reality. They should open source it in the future and allow content creators to create their own quests to allow more replayability and healthy behavior because they would interact with the game more and not be so addicted.

Playstation 3 is partially doing this by allowing game creators to create their own games for it with the open source hardware they are using but would be nice to have complete open source access to the games that are already on it not just a basic level editor.

I want to know how Blizzard is combating this addiction. Why isn't the government not forcing companies to change their games around to break the cycle?
Posted by Blito (436 comments )
Whats next
Sue or get the government to go after electronic companies that make T.V's because obviously people are getting stuck infront of the tube too much?
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
huh..?
You are quite the idiot. That is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard anybody say. Just shut up and stop making an ass of yourself.

There is no connection, at all, between the gaming community and drugs.
Posted by darkane (39 comments )
What a load of excrement....
You have some strong opinions, none of which are worthy of note in my opinion. There are so many things wrong with your post but I'm going to address one:

If people are addicted to WoW then it's a symptom of something wrong with their life. Treating the symptom would be ineffective and a huge waste of time.
Posted by drfrost (467 comments )
soo true....
that's the gameplay formula Blizz has perfected. One of my most favorite reviews on Amazon.com is for Diablo 2, altho it appears much of it can also apply towards WoW as well. Beating Diablo 2 myself I found this review hilarious b/c it's true...

Good game for rats, October 10, 2001
Reviewer: ira povey (Denver)

&gt;QUOTE
In psychology there is a concept called "variable reinforcement schedule". Basically, if you reward a rat for pressing a bar, say with a food pellet, he will want to press the bar. BUT, if you only reinforce the rat randomly as he pushes the bar, well, he'll push furiously, neglecting socializing, hygiene, and all else. Diablo 2 works exactly like the latter situation. You kill a baddie. Did he drop something good? Maybe, maybe not. Every random time a baddie does drop something good, it inflames your brain to want to repeat that behavior, just like a slot machine, or a rat pressing a bar. The priciple is PROVEN to be elegantly addicting. In one sense, that makes this an incredibly efficient game, based on sound scientific data, with a vicious hook. On the other hand, I could put you in a cage with an IV of endorphins that randomly activated occasionaly after you pressed a bar, and you'd all be giving it 5 star reviews on amazon and wasting your time playing it. Here's an idea: spend time with your loved ones, read a book, draw a picture. Life is short.
&gt;unQUOTE
Posted by ackmondual (199 comments )
What's your point?
That people can't control themselves so the gov't needs too? That's BS, there is a thing called personal responsibility.

That article from THG that you link to is horrible. It is riddled with inaccuracies, and the author should be questioned from the start. That author claims to be an expert in drug use, yet is completely befuddled by what was seen, and totally misunderstands all of it. That article was one of the worst written I have seen in a long time.
Posted by bemenaker (438 comments )
I'll admit I'm addicted to WoW
But in the process I dumped my Dish Network (who watches TV
anymore is just the same old passive experience). At least with
Wow, not only is the world they provide exciting and always
changing (love those constant updates), but the ease at which
you can converse with others and group up for raids and such
makes it a truly interactive experience.

And yes I do like the color scheme of the game, after all its
fantasy.

My character Neye (priest) has been a joy to play.
Posted by curtegg (38 comments )
The reason it did so well
I play WoW and it is enjoyable, although extremely flawed. It is static, you can't change the world in any meaningful way. You can't take over cities and towns. You get sent out to kill some guy, and the next day you see him walking around, so what was the point?

All MMOG suffer from static content. No one has yet to take an evolutionary step forward. These types of games have so much unrealized potential.

But one reason it did so well is because unlike Everquest, WoW actually has many quests. And most of them don't take thousands of hours to complete. And unlike EQ they are fun.

Essentially, the reason WoW did so well is because SOE can't make a stable, fun game to save their lives. They totally blew a concept that should have been a success(Staw Wars Galaxies), EQ2 is just more of the same, complete with lots of standard SOE timesinks, and ugly graphics that make your system sweat. Camelot, while good for its time, is now behind the times. All the other games range from decent to extremely poor.

I just wonder if any developer will have the guts to make a MMOG that doesn't revolve around static content and gear. Once you get to the end-game all these games are about gear and chasing more gear. When will true player skill, and a dynamic combat system(with no hitpoints) be implemented?

WoW is #1 becuase it is fairly fun, unlike the previous #1 MMOG, but when we it start to come close to its potential?
Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )
player cities
Player citites and the crafting system are the only things done right in SWG. players own houses, harvesters etc... build many items in game. unlike wow where you don't have player housing, cities etc...... thats the depth of a PRE-CU SWG vs. WoW and one fo the major reasons I don't care for WoW.
Posted by capfan12 (101 comments )
True.... BUT
People have been talking about this for years. If it were easy to do, someone would have done it already. Yes, some games are trying to allow more player created content but it can cause a lot of issues. And there is something to be said for a stable environment.

Like photorealistic graphics or 3d goggles... it's a good idea whose time will come when the technology is able to support it in a reasonable manner.
Posted by drfrost (467 comments )
EQII
I started playing WoW after playing EQ and EQII for a long time. I now have accounts for both EQII and WoW but I find I'm now spending most of my gaming time in EQII these days. After I hit level 50 in WoW I found there was less and less to do without finding 4 to 39 other people to do it with. The higher my level the worse it gets. I'm also tired of the cartoonish graphics in WoW. EQII has been going the other way. It now has two major expansions with a third on the way and is continually adding content for EVERYONE; not just raiders like WoW has done. I'll keep my WoW account until the expansion comes out and then I'll probably ditch it because I don't think they're going to fix the raid centric end game and the concomitant gear/power disparities between raiders and non-raiders.
Posted by Michael Grogan (308 comments )
There is another Option out there
Everyone Goes on and on about WoW, and they compare it to EQ and EQ2(which are really poor), but there are other MMOs out there of equal quality. Did everyon forget about the 2nd most popular MMO on the market right now, Final Fantasy XI(online) from SE? It is available for PC, XBOX360(in high def) and the Playstation. This i my game of choice. It is a game that is as much fun to play solo as it is to play in a group. Like any other game it does have it's drawbacks. In order for you to gain higher levels, and complete quests and mission, you need to form parties with others(as most of them can not be completed solo), but It also has a complete story line to it.

Then you also have the newest and probably most exciting addition to the ring, Dungeon and Dragons Online. I was a member of the beta team for this, and i must say that it is by far the most detailed MMO that I have seen. It takes everything that the old paper and dice version of D&#38;D had to offer and draws you into the world with 3d rendered characters. I have not played the released version(as I do not have the type of time it would take to maintain 2 online games), but would recommend it to anyone who asked
Posted by lstinpa (5 comments )
There is another Option out there

Posted by lstinpa (5 comments )
Dynamic MMORPGs
The MMORPG Horizons was actually a fairly ambitious step toward the dynamic content idea.

Nothing was looted and everything had to be crafted. There was content that needed to be unlocked by players building bridges to islands or gateways. Players owned buildings and cities were around, though regular cities were still placed for training and quest markers.

Still, even with their ambitious system things were flawed- instead of looted gear being valuable looted craft components were. Even though players had to interact with the world to drive content being unlocked or events happening it still smacked of being led around by the developers.
It was interesting to see someone trying, though, and it CAN be done. I think of Civilization. You start out with a black map and a settler unit. It'd be pretty interesting if the entire society had to be built. You could make the high-level players the "trainers" and "quest-givers" perhaps. That way at some point the players could work toward adding content to the game beyond just what gear they had.
Posted by Fireweaver (105 comments )
As to why a non-static game would not work
I would certainly love for it matter I just killed the necrolord or saved the kingdom, but what about the guy who was trying to do it too?
Do you say "Sorry bud, get a teleport spell next time" or something like that?

If you forgot, there ARE evolving contents in game, or did you miss the Ahn'Quiraji release?

If there was to be an ever evolving world, then that would mean that the producer is selling to a smaller market, and is much more labor intensive.

A world where you are changing every day requires you to be on almost at all times to be successful. I know a few people that could swing it, but how many people never have to leave the screen to go to work/school/family things?

Awe crap! I got the damn attunement crystal, but the boss just called a staff meeting! the other guy is gona kill the lich now!

It would also mean, that if per se, a group of skilled players banded together to do some serious hacking and slashing and casting, then they could concievably devour the content before any other players got a swing in. You've heard of the guild that hit Naxxaramas first, right? They killed Kel'Thuzad, which got them a nice reward, and a plot advancement of sorts, and would you not want your shot at the bony bugger too?

We all pay the same monthly fees, we are all entitled to the same content. If they ran out of content, they would have to grind out more on an hourly basis! Certainly, there is merit to that sort of thing, a new threat to the land every day! But thats entirely unfeasable due to the amount of effort going into a challenging event on a daily basis.

On the topic of Gear, what is a hero other than guts, blood, a magic sword, and a villain to stab at?

Also, the best reward you can give a player is gear, if you just keep leveling up, once again, you are designing content on a dangerously fast basis.

A content developer: "Hmm, that Warrior on Garithos is getting close to 103 now, damn him, Ragnaros isn't putting up much of a fight now, and the leveling increments we have been using for skills now are adding up. If he keeps going at this rate, open PvP with him will be all but mutilated.

Hitting max level is like running out of room to go up, and as such, means that your power does not increace at all for killing junk monsters. Therefore, it is needed to balance other content (such as bosses, which remain their own godly-damn level, which are around lvl 70 right now). If you did not get better gear at max level, you would be stuck in static abilities, and then it does come down to player skills, but thats not a whole lot to do now is it?

Chasing gear gives you two things. 1) More power, which you know you loved as you were going up in level

"Mhuahahaha! My Rank 4 Fireball is far more powerful than that puny Rank 3! Feel my searing hot wrath"

If you didn't get stronger, why play more? Secondly, it majorly slows down the rate at which more content is needed. How long will it take for 40 people to get their full tier 3 sets? Must be atleast a month or so for 1 full set if all resources are devoted to that person.

Plus, they need insentives to lure you to that ever so evil-ly difficult boss fight, which you know is going to cost a pretty penny to pay for repairs and consumables.

Gear gives you an advantage while not unbalancing the world by gaining more raw levels than the challenges.

If you want to let players govern' themselves a city, then look at guilds? How often do you see a new one crop up? If every guild had its own base city, then the world would also be over populated. The ability to temporarily knock out a town is the closest thing, because, once again, if some raid came and blew the crap out of Westfall, and you couldn't turn your quests in because your employer happened to get hacked up, you wouldn't be happy would you?

Making it so that "Real Player Skills" are needed, really does not make the game a breadwinner. Not alot of people have the reflexes of a night elven rogue, and if you attempt to say that only those with those skills should advance, then you'll realize that you and your friends very likely don't have the speed for it.

The removal of hit points would also make it difficult to heal and gauge how long you have till that axe your enemy is swinging finds that sweet spot between your head and your shoulders? That would remove the abstract concept of taking hits without suffering the slightest detriment to your fighting abilities till you hit 0 and drop to the floor?

That would make things very difficult, especially with lag, having to track how many times you have been hit, and other conventions of survival.

You spoke of wanting Evolving Content? The sword cuts on both sides. How would you like it if you got caught on a bad day, and someone decided to make it worse by ambushing you and killing you? Your evolving content would let you rest in your grave, because you've died, it really is quite a small chance you will be walked upon by a random good sumaratin every time you drop to the floor unconcious. The death of a powerful player is just as important as the death of a powerful npc.

People can kill city leaders, like the Stormwind leader is relatively easy to beat, and that means that every time a few orcs got an itchin to do some human chopping with royal limbs, there would be a new king or prince asending to power

Simply put, Evolving content is not a step that a coorporate game is willing to take, one written without the intent to make a profit and be fair (rather emulating the real world), would be better suited for this, but you would not recieve the same quality either. Think of this as a good medium, and if that displeases you, decide whether or not you want to quit your job and write a game that provides content updats around the clock because somebody else has done something relatively simple as compared to programming, say, an entire challenging dungeon with new and unique ideas that will force them to think in a new way, or if you were so lucky as to find someone else doing the writing, got stuck in the web of the ever changing content, missing every big thing because of the call of real life, or just shear inadquecy, you could have done it if you had just gotten the last boss of that last dungeon that was realeased yesterday, but that other group beat you to it, and now they have the bracers of such and such might and stronger than you, and now they are able to kill this boss and get even stronger.

If you evolve, those who aren't gifted with genius level skills and supported entirely by another person or persons, or independantly wealthy, you will find the game far from enjoyable. Be happy you get your shot at all the bosses still, I am sure they all have died a few times already.
Posted by MobiusKlein (2 comments )
Superheroes versus Magic -- CoH Rocks
I was a beta tester on Asheron's Call. Never played WoW because I am not a big fan of the Swords and Sorcery genre. I was on the original beta for CoH and have maintained two accounts, so my sons and I can play together. What do we love about that game? The variety of costumes, and abilities. I can say there are grind issues there too, but compare that to the moment you hit level 14 and start leaping from building to building, or soaring through the skies, its great. I wrote for over a decade about my character, Spectrum, and now on the Freedom Server I can really have fun playing him.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.eyrie.org/superguy/index.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.eyrie.org/superguy/index.html</a> for more info on that character.
My point is that I never got on the WoW bandwagon even though I enjoyed warcraft 1&#38;2. If only CoH had LESS of the damn demons and mages you find in every single genre, it might be more fun for folks that don't want to look at that all day long. Quick Tip: A great way to level fast for early players is to team up with 7 other players and do a sewer hunt out of Atlas. Good variety of villians, safe environment to learn your powers, and also the importance of teamwork and interaction.
Posted by Amigoid (12 comments )
Life is a grind
If they're trying to create some sort of virtual REALITY, then they're getting pretty close with the grinding. Not that different from real life's grind. Life's a blast when you're a kid, but all you think about is wanting to be an adult. Finally becoming an adult is analagous to finally hitting level 60. It gets boring and grindish after that.

Side note: I'm not really that negative, but it's an interesting way to look at it.
Posted by bukaroo12 (7 comments )
Life is a grind
If they're trying to create some sort of virtual REALITY, then they're getting pretty close with the grinding. Not that different from real life's grind. Life's a blast when you're a kid, but all you think about is wanting to be an adult. When you're playing, all you think about is hitting level 60. Finally becoming an adult is analagous to finally hitting level 60. It gets boring and grindish after that.

Posted by bukaroo12 (7 comments )
"Polish"
Pardo mentions the one thing that sets WoW a head above others in its genre -- "polish" as they call it at Blizzard, or, the attention to "fit and finish". Whether you are making a car, a game, or a sofa, attention to final fit is the key indicator of overall quality. It is something you need to think about from the your first plans through every stage.

In WoW, the NPCs have names, and different clothes, and their shops have unique art. It's not distractingly unique, but just enough to show that it wasn't stamped out of a mold. Though many floorplans repeat, you dont find unpainted corners or mindnumbingly repetitive dungeon levels. I remember finding a romantic shadow play on a remote stage which only alliance faction warlocks who complete a particular quest get to watch.

This extra effort, the fit and finish, the polish, and pride, speak of quality that is hard to find in any mass market product.
Posted by Quatrain (1 comment )
The real reason it did so well

Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )