September 12, 2006 6:12 PM PDT

Symantec updates Norton products

Symantec on Tuesday announced Norton AntiVirus 2007 and Norton Internet Security 2007, updated versions of the company's widely used security software for consumers.

Slated to be available later this month, both products have been updated to provide better protection and system performance, Symantec said in a statement. Norton AntiVirus 2007 protects against viruses, spyware and related risks. Norton Internet Security 2007 is a suite that includes antivirus and anti-spyware protection and adds a firewall, intrusion prevention, and for the first time includes a phishing shield.

Among the technology updates is protection against entire families of malicious software without the need for signature updates, Symantec said. Also, the antivirus technology can now detect malicious software that tries to hide using stealth technology known as rootkits, the company said.

Symantec has also worked to make its software nimble. The new versions are better in memory usage, boot time, scan speed, user interface launch speed, and download speed, the company said. An improved system scan feature now requires less processing power, for example, Symantec said. Performance is often criticized when it comes to Symantec products.

The updates to Symantec's traditional Norton products precede the launch of a next-generation security product called Norton 360, which is due by the end of March. Symantec has pitched Norton 360 as a complete overhaul of its security products and as a formidable rival to Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare, which launched in late May.

McAfee, Symantec's chief rival in the consumer security space, launched revamped products last month.

Norton AntiVirus 2007 is priced at $39.99 and Norton Internet Security 2007 at $69.99. Both products include a year of updates and are slated to be available later this month. Current users will be offered upgrades, Symantec said.

Symantec Corp., Norton Co., Norton Internet Security, Symantec Norton AntiVirus, malicious software

2 little 2 late
Symantec's desktop products have been all but considered legacy since 2002, even though they change the date every year.

They've lost touch with the consumer a very long time ago. Sure, its possible they can make a come back, but then again, so can Dell... HA!
Posted by gmycyk191 (32 comments )
AGREE!
This new version HAS to be an improvement over what they have now! Left them several years ago, even though I had 6 months left on my subscription. The software was so BUGGY and the support (If you can call it that) was totally nonexistent! They will NEVER get another dollar from this guy!
Posted by Bad Tom (2 comments )
Bloatware
Don't waste your time or your money Symantec is garbage bloat/software.
Posted by lolio (4 comments )
I agree!
I'm really suprised they still in business! SOftware is so bad! I removed it from all friends PCs, and recommended FREE afternative,

Why CNET is wasting time even talking about Norton????
Posted by kriskl (2 comments )
I agree

Why CNET is wasting time even talking about Norton????
Posted by kriskl (2 comments )
Bloatware is only part of it
Huge drain on resources (big overhead), absolutely. But I think worse is the fact that its software simply fails to protect your PC from all the online nasties out there today. Then, try and un-install it - imposable. Its own software removal tools are one of the most popular downloads.

Symantec is another "big guy" corporation, motivated solely by increasing its own stock prices, etc. Theyve turned into Microsoft  fat, old, bald, wealthy and complacent. Winfax has been abandoned like an unwanted step child, Norton Utilities has had little change since before Windows XP in 2001, and with services like Goto MYPC, and XPs built in RDP, PcAnywhere is practically obsolete.

I fondly remember the Norton software of the late 90s; that was good stuff back then. Too bad. I havent recommended one of their products since Clinton was president. Now Bill, what did you really do with dress? Never mind, I dont want to know.
Posted by gmycyk191 (32 comments )
Has anyone ever wondered...?
Now I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I can't help but wonder if it is Symantec and the other Anti-virus companies who actually create a lot of the viruses their software claims to defend. How else can they justify constant updates and "new" versions of their software? Are there really that many intelligent losers out there who have nothing better to do that to create a virus solely designed to wreck havoc? Yes, there are some ligitimate threats out there, but I can't help but wonder what motivates these Antivirus companies. By the way, as a Comcast high-speed internet customer, I get McAffee for free. I had been using Norton Utilities for several years. No more.
Posted by ebeamsales (36 comments )
Has anyone ever wondered...??
Virus makers = Programmers = Intellectuals = anarchists?

Some ones is making a profit.
better late than never
I see several advantages in this offer. For one thing the price for the internet security package is for up to 3 PCs and users will be offered a free software upgrade to make the software compatible for Vista when it launches. Norton 360 however, is too far behind. Can Symantec play catchup after so many years of being number 1?
Posted by robert1275 (46 comments )
They've already lost my clients
I've railed against Norton for years now with my clients, having them pull it off their systems for all the problems they now claim they have addressed.

I'm sorry, Symantec, but it has taken you so long that it will take a while to again trust your software.

It is, in many ways, too little, too late.
Posted by Aaron1710 (1 comment )
Take processing to anohter appliance
I wish more would be done with creating an appliance to do the antivirus-IPS-IDS work and simply load a light client to the user stations.

This is the whole client server idea but use one stand alone box to protect you whole home network......

This is not a unique idea.

We will all be there in a few years....but why wait...they need to cut the time and head there now.

This is more efficent and would be cost effective for the home user to pay $ 70.00 a year for your whole network versus per machine pricing......

Get with it Symantec......or pay the price.
Posted by maxmillius (1 comment )
Way too late in the game...
While they were forced on end-users as an integrated part of Microsoft's OS pre-installed Anti-Virus package... they had a hit regardless of how bad it's performance was.

Now that the MS relationship is off... they're finally coming to their senses... but only after the Microsoft Novacaine wore off!!!

Bottom Line: Microsoft assists in staving off development of better products... just like with their own OS's...

When you don't have to worry about rivals... you tend to slack off in the performance department.

Walt
Posted by wbenton (522 comments )