January 3, 2006 10:00 AM PST

Studios announce next-generation DVD titles

Studios to detail next-generation DVDs due later this year in an industry that risks being bogged down by a standards war.

The story "Studios announce next-generation DVD titles" published January 3, 2006 at 10:00 AM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from Reuters expires after 30 days.

When will they learn? We the people want Standerds!
I am not Going to go through another VHS/BETA war!
I WILL NOT MOVE to HD DVD till there is just one standerd for HD DVD!

I suggest to Every one out there Don't Get HD-DVD or Blue RAY..Stay away from it all till there is just one HD Format!

James Farmer
migraine@knology.net
Posted by Migraine (95 comments )
Misguided Advice
Standards will exist, and they will be chosen by the cystiner. Both products should go to market and the consumers will vote with their pocketbooks... the way it is supposed to work.

Suggesting that nobody buy anything until a "standard" is decided upon is ignorant. It assumes that some all-mighty power will don leadership robes, grab a jeweled scepter and stand upon the mountain to proclaim that all people must conform to a particular dictated standard.

No thanks. I prefer the freedom of choice as offered by capitalism. I'll be voting with my dollars, and in doing so, will help identify the companies that deliver desirable products while at the same time growing the economy.

Customers willing to vote with dollars will decide the standard. Those boycotting choice will be left with the decision of the active consumer. Whether they like the results or not.

Such is how it should be in a free, capitalistic republic.
Posted by David Arbogast (1709 comments )
HDTV
I don't even have HDTV yet. Hopfully in 5 to 6 years when I buy one, this issue will be resolved.
Posted by paulsecic (298 comments )
No Blu-Ray for me
The one reason not to select Blu-Ray can be summed up in one word. "Sony"
Posted by yrrahxob (77 comments )
Wow, insightful!
The best comment I've ever read on CNET, keep it up!
Posted by PerfectCr (17 comments )
BlueRay = Sony = PS3 = RootKit = Spyware
eom
Posted by bobby_brady (765 comments )
Minimual advantages for HD DVD - Not worth it
First, who wants to get caught in the BlueRay, HD-DVD format war? Second there is only a marginal improvement in picture quality from current DVD to HD-DVD. Buy a decent progressive scan DVD and a good television, you'll barely notice the difference. Third, Hollywood wants to force new DVD DRM down our throats.
Posted by bobby_brady (765 comments )
THANK YOU!
Thanks for pointing out the shortcomings in new DRM schemes. I've invested over $30k in building a very high-end home theater and was one of the early adopters for DVD (I own about 700 movies), but I will NOT be buying either format until DRM shortcomings are addressed. I'm literally chomping at the bit for 1080p movies on a BIG screen at home, but for the moment I'm telling everyone I know to hold off. Read this before you buy: <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.dvdsite.org/" target="_newWindow">http://www.dvdsite.org/</a>

Cheers!
Speleo.
Posted by speleofool (60 comments )
History can repeat itself
Wasn't that a great war? VHS vs BETA. If you look back at the performance of both you'll find that BETA was a better format but VHS won when it started selling extended play allowing you to record 6 hours on a tape. There was even a small war over the format for hand held video cams.... 8mm or VHS-C. The higher quality 8mm won that one. Hey, remember when video was first produced on a digital format? It wasn't DVD, it was those 12 inch platters and they were expensive and never really went anywhere. Of course we could really go back into history and take a look at the lifetimes of old formats... records, cassette, 8-track, reel to reel. It seems that the farther back we go, the longer the format reigned. In today's world, the format is a fleeting thing. Every few years there is something new and improved forcing us to replace all that "now" obsolete hardware. I think I've finally reached the point where I just don't care anymore about new formats, no matter how improved they are. I'm going to stick with what I have now till the day I die... or until I can con the wife into letting me have a shopping spree at the electronics store!
Posted by Seaspray0 (9714 comments )
go DVD!
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.analogstereo.com/cassette_deck_nakamichi_1000.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.analogstereo.com/cassette_deck_nakamichi_1000.htm</a>
Posted by 208774626618253979477959487856 (176 comments )