December 4, 2006 4:35 PM PST

Sirius disappointed by holiday sales

Related Stories

Sirius launches portable satellite radio

September 26, 2006
Sirius Satellite Radio said Monday that holiday sales have not met expectations, though the company still expects to end the year having added more than 2 million subscribers.

"While strong, this year's retail sales results since the Thanksgiving weekend have not been at the pace we had anticipated," CEO Mel Karmazin said in a statement. The company said it now expects to end the year with between 5.9 million and 6.1 million subscribers.

The satellite radio firm said in November that it expected to have 6.3 million subscribers by year's end.

Sirius still hopes to post its first quarter with positive free cash flow, after capital expenses, as early as this quarter, the company said.

In after-hours trading, shares of Sirius were trading at $3.99, a drop of 18 cents, or more than 4 percent, from where the stock ended regular trading.

Sirius, Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., subscriber, satellite radio, satellite

Get Sirius, everyone wants an iPod!
Get Sirius, everyone wants an iPod!
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
Two different uses
I have both. There are times when I don't even want to hear a shuffle mix of something I've put on one of my iPods. that's when the talk/sports/humor offerings of Sirius are an excellent alternative. That said, I'm sure that for some people iPods and the like are eating some Sirius radio sales.
Posted by EmmaFrost (83 comments )
The reason..
Their units stink, they need to offer more of a selection of portable/car audio units, then sales would pick up.
Posted by BayshoreTommy (11 comments )
The reason..
Posted by BayshoreTommy (11 comments )
Sad to say I agree
I wish the technology was better for portable sat radio. Also, I don't understand the logic of "one subscription, one radio." Can't they tell that a given subscriber has only one unit turned on?
Posted by EmmaFrost (83 comments )
I'm sorry but...
There's no way I'll pay for radio. If you forked out the monthly dollar amounts that every vendor wants to get from you (satellite radio, Tivo, etc.), the average consumer wouldn't be able to afford their mortgage.

It's ridiculous.

On the other hand, if there were advertisements that paid for it, I'd be glad to shell out a couple hundred on a radio.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com
Posted by chuck_whealton (521 comments )