August 21, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

Samsung strives for LCD record

Samsung Electronics' upcoming LCD could set a record for the electronics industry.

At 70 inches, the display is aimed at the consumer HDTV (high-definition television) market, but it will likely become available in the business market at an early stage. According to Samsung, the screen is five inches larger than any current one. The company is unveiling the 70-incher at this week's International Meeting on Information Displays 2006 in Daegu, Korea.

Samsung LCD TV

The screen offers a conical viewing angle of 180 degrees. The video signal is reproduced at 120Hz, compared with the 60Hz offered by conventional high-definition LCD (liquid crystal display) panels, enabling "rapidly moving video images to be reproduced with crystal clarity," the company said Monday.

Samsung plans to begin mass production of the new 70-inch LCD during the first half of 2007. With the introduction of the 70-inch LCD, the company will be in a position to compete head-to-head with plasma and projection TV makers.

For example, one of the largest LCD screens seen by ZDNet UK is the 56-inch V562D1 display from Chi Mei Optoelectronics. That screen debuted at the CeBit trade show in Germany in March, and has a resolution of 3,840 pixels by 2,160 pixels.

Samsung has not yet named a price for its 70-inch screen. The screen from Chi Mei is expected to retail for about $11,400.

Colin Barker of ZDNet UK reported from London.

pixel, LCD, Samsung Electronics, display, HDTV

Author should learn about High-Def TV before writing.
The article states: "Samsung's display has a resolution of 1,920 pixels by 1,080 pixels, which qualifies it as a high-definition TV but isn't incredibly high for a screen of this size."

Colin Barker doesn't appear to know the difference between a display made primarily for television viewing and one for other purposes, like a display for a computer. HDTV manufacturers are only now beginning to introduce 1,920 x 1080 pixel displays, which no only "qualifies it as high-definition," but meets the exact requirements of 1080i, which is the highest definition available -- and as cutting edge as you get. Any more pixels would be superfluous, which the author does not seem to understand.
Posted by RufusRyker (3 comments )
I want to add...
According to cnet's own article on the V562D1 from Chi Mei Optoelectronics, that super hi-res display is to be "used in the medical and satellite pictures industries." This is not comparable a Samsung HDTV display geared towards the consumer market.
Posted by RufusRyker (3 comments )
1080p is the highest resolution for HDTV
If you're going to slam the writer, moron, you should get your facts straight as well.
Posted by jeffrey36363 (1 comment )
Actually it is 1080p
1920 x 1080 resolution makes this LCD panel capable of 1080p resolution, which is the highest HDTV standard. 1080i, because of the interlaced display, really isn't much better than 720p for resolution.
Posted by Chris Baumgardt (9 comments )
The point is
that with that screen size and that resolution you're looking at some fairly big pixels.
Posted by Jackson Cracker (272 comments )
How can it have 180 degree view angle?
Once you get so far, the case of the television is going to block your view. And not only that, if you look at it from the side, you will only see a row of pixels. Which would not be considered a reasonable discription of viewing anything that the display is showing.
Posted by aka_tripleB (2211 comments )
True
You are not even seeing the screen itself. You are basically seeing
the enclosure to the screen. More than likely you won't even see the
screen due to the bezel. But in any case, if you could, it would just
be a row of light.

A true viewing angle is when you can see the whole picture clearly.
Which you definitely can't do at 180.
Posted by MidniteRaider (94 comments )
Learn some manners...
I accidently typed an "i" instead of a "p", but my meaning was clear and correct. I obviously was NOT referring to the refresh rate but rather the overall resolution.
Posted by RufusRyker (3 comments )
electronics companies have work to do
I think this entire discussion proves the story here:

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://news.cbsi.com/HDTV+hardware+makers+fight+customer+confusion/2100-1041_3-6106509.html" target="_newWindow">http://news.cbsi.com/HDTV+hardware+makers+fight+customer+confusion/2100-1041_3-6106509.html</a>

The electroincs manufacturers have done a poor job of educating consumers about HD and what it means.
Posted by herkamur (115 comments )
What do I have?
Having just emerged from a pissing match with someone who bought a Samsung and boasted about 1080p, I tried to find THE DEFINITION of this. Luckily I found the discussions in CNE explaining i and p. But now I am looking at my owner manual for a Panasonic TC-26LX20, a 26" LCD machine. I love it! And Comcast who set up my box made sure that I was receiving a 1080p signal (?), or so it says on the info when I check the settings. But my manual never mentions 1080, p, or i except when discussing the HDMI interface. My cable box goes through the Component 2 inputs. So what am I getting? Should I point out to the other guy that he is a blowhard techie? How in hell should I separate marketing from value? Etc. Etc. Etc
Posted by BlackieBernard (2 comments )