July 20, 2005 12:39 PM PDT

Parents group urges 'Grand Theft' recall

Parents Television Council joins chorus of critics over game hack that unlocks sex content.

The story "Parents group urges 'Grand Theft' recall" published July 20, 2005 at 12:39 PM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from Reuters expires after 30 days.

I think
people need to chill out. People under the age of 18 shouldn't be playing this game anyway. Since the game doesn't come with this content unlocked then I don't see that a recall is needed. Also, if the sexual content offends you then you should be playing the game anyway and you shouldn't have bought it for you kids.

I think the crybabies need a bottle and the polititians need a swift kick in the butt for being so stoopud (yes I spelled it wrong on purpose). I am all for the ratings system and for making sure no child can just go in a buy a game like this, but this campaign against GTA is just ridiculas. I think it does show how people need something to hate.

The funny thing is that the moral majority is probably playing this game. And the parents who were to busy to notice this game had an M rating and bought if for their children should have their kids taken away from them. Why? Because they are obviously to busy to have children. (of course I am being sarcastic here)
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
I think

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
What the big difference between 17 and 18
Currently the game is rated M for people 17 and over. If they change it to Ao it will be for people 18 and over. There isn't some magical wave of maturity that hits people when they turn 18. The cut off is completely arbitrary. The fact that all this is because of sex scene (with no genitalia showing) that one has to download a mod to unlock and not the level of graphic violence avaliable right out of the box is truly sad. Hillary's posturing should be called for what it really is, an attempt to get contributions and votes from pro-family groups.
Posted by unknown unknown (1951 comments )
I See No Difference between 18 and 21
Lower the legal gamble and drinking ages, anyone? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
What the big difference between 17 and 18
Posted by unknown unknown (1951 comments )
I See No Difference between 18 and 21
Lower the legal gamble and drinking ages, anyone? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
god!!!
Don't people know that if A kid can unlock this game, then he's just as smart to download it off the net for free with out is mom and dad ever knowing it ever happened, he or she is also just as likely to deactive any parental block software that is out there. so should we recall all windows pcs because little billy can play GTA
Posted by joebuck (32 comments )
Not to Mention
There are tons of Flash based violent games on the Internet. Think we can all block that? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
god!!!
Posted by joebuck (32 comments )
Not to Mention
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Unbelivable!!
This has to be one of the most hysterical reactions from politicos that I have seen in all of my 42 years.

I am so fuming mad over this that I cannot state what is truly on my mind or else I would be banned from CNET for life.

Just think of every vulgar and derogatory term you can think of and apply it to Hillary, Joe, and the PTC and we will have a start.
Posted by Snowdog63 (44 comments )
PMRC all over again
it's the PMRC all over again! finding a scape goat to blame for the problmes of bad parenting. It's going to stop nothing and all it's going to do is hurt game makers because they will have to have more paranoid legal teams to check out the game before they release it. I hate the fact that it's getting in the news because most of the facts are not truthful. HELLO THE KID HAS TO DOWNLOAD THE THING. IF HE CAN DO THAT THEN WHATS STOPPING HIM FROM GOING TO PLAYBOY WEBSITE. whats stopping him from downloading anything he wants. it's just bad parenting is the only asnwer here. no goverment department can do anything about that.
Posted by joebuck (32 comments )
Unbelivable!!

Posted by Snowdog63 (44 comments )
PMRC all over again
Posted by joebuck (32 comments )
The game condemns itself...
GTA, with or without the mod, is violently antisocial and should be
pulled from the market immediately. There is no excuse for
tolerating this sort of psychological garbage. The foaming-at-the-
mouth complaints and defenses raised by the dim bulb gamers is
just more prrof of GTA's negative effects on the population.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Earl Benser
Hey Earl, the game has a good message it's just miss understood, that message is that crime does not pay, at the end of the video game guess what you lose, everything. you don't win and the violence is so cartoon like it's not even funny, you can't take it seriously and I find it funny people who do because it's a video game. it's like taking a bad Kung Fu movie's seriously.
Posted by joebuck (32 comments )
Right On Craig!
Craig - you hit the nail on the head.

Earl, people like you scare me a whole lot more than some kid or adult that has played GTA. The fact that you can post the dribble that you have without ANY firsthand knowledge (or clue) as to what you are talking about speaks volumes about the type of folks like the PTC.

You go play the game first, then at least I can respect your opinion. Otherwise......
Posted by Snowdog63 (44 comments )
As I expected....
... the dim bulbs are massing at the gates....
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Sticks and stones...
Well Earl, I would hardly refer to myself as a 'dim bulb' just because I like something that you find offensive.

I'm not 'foaming at the mouth' and I'm not even defending the game itself, other than to express that I liked the concept of the game so I bought it, played it, and enjoyed it! If you don't like it, then don't buy it and don't play it. Simple concept, it's called capitalism.

If there's a big enough demand for the game, then the suppliers will provide it, otherwise, if not, then they won't. I would find it VERY OFFENSIVE if the suppliers decided not to provide it simply because certain people who aren't part of the 'demand' are trying to outright abolish it altogether to prevent my right to obtain it.

It's not an illegal product, and it shouldn't become one just because you find it isn't to your liking. Let me make my own decisions as to what I do or don't purchase.
Posted by TMB333 (115 comments )
The game condemns itself...
GTA, with or without the mod, is violently antisocial and should be
pulled from the market immediately. There is no excuse for
tolerating this sort of psychological garbage. The foaming-at-the-
mouth complaints and defenses raised by the dim bulb gamers is
just more prrof of GTA's negative effects on the population.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Earl Benser
Posted by joebuck (32 comments )
Right On Craig!
Craig - you hit the nail on the head.

Posted by Snowdog63 (44 comments )
As I expected....
... the dim bulbs are massing at the gates....
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Sticks and stones...

Posted by TMB333 (115 comments )
PTC has less credibility than Geraldo Rivera
The PTC is the group who found itself issuing a formal apology to the World Wrestling Federation for wildly exaggerating the effects of an advertiser boycott.

They shoot first and ask questions later, in the name of "family." They really have no clout, except with editors who love exciting press releases.

And now they've put one over on CNet. Heh.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
See Ya M C
You won't be missed :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
PTC has less credibility than Geraldo Rivera

And now they've put one over on CNet. Heh.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
See Ya M C
You won't be missed :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Ridiculous
The problem here is emphasized by the first word in the title - parents. GTA has content which may not be appropriate for all audiences, and this is made clear by the ESRB rating. If you don't think a game is appropriate for your children, then don't buy it for them. As far as them downloading it etc, some parents need to get their act together and learn to control their children, rather than constantly search for people to blame for their kid's lack of discipline.

As far as the game is concerned, adults have the right to play mature games if they so choose. I think the game is fine if the player is mature enough to handle it (which goes back to the M rating).
Ridiculous

Interesting
This is just a form of a minority imposed censorship and repression by stealth, by these self appointed twits. Next they will be banning all types of computer games from tetris, the sim family and others(as mindless and non productive). Then they will commence the burning of books and computers on public bonfires! And thus onto, Salem style moral and ethics witch hunts! Still no one will ever ask the hard questions, just what is the true agenda! Ah, such is life
Posted by heystoopid (691 comments )
Their true agenda...
Ian, their true agenda is to become your Parent OR to actually replace the job that real parents should be doing.

Thankfully, Rockstar is in the UK so the Hillary Idiot Brigade can't touch them (hopefully).

And if I was Rockstar I would send the PTC a snidely worded retort that included the international symbol called "the middle finger".
Posted by Snowdog63 (44 comments )
Interesting
Posted by heystoopid (691 comments )
Their true agenda...

Posted by Snowdog63 (44 comments )
I'd rather have the sex game
Hey, give me Grand Sex Auto over GTA anyday. Sounds like a more healthy game.
Play "The Sims"
And control those small people to do whatever you want them to :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
I'd rather have the sex game
Hey, give me Grand Sex Auto over GTA anyday. Sounds like a more healthy game.
Play "The Sims"
And control those small people to do whatever you want them to :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Do something else with your lives
Oh ye who play this game nonstop 24/7, go find something
better to do with your life than play video games. Bottom line is
(and this game in particular), it's a waste of time, it's a waste of
money, it's a waste of brain cells.
Posted by hatandglasses13 (68 comments )
What do you suggest?...
I'm in agreement with you Ryan that if someone is playing this game 24/7 as you suggest, then they should find something better to do. However, I have yet to find any indication that someone is doing that.

So, while I didn't play it 24/7 when I first bought it, I played it a few hours a day until I fiinished it. Once I finished it, I moved onto a different challenge. So, is your message that playing video games is a waste of time, money and brain cells? Some people might say the same about sports. Others might say the same about camping.

The whole concept of 'entertainment' is subjective to each person's tastes. So, what do you do for entertainment? Couldn't it be classified as a waste of time, money and brain cells?
Posted by TMB333 (115 comments )
Well, Ryan...
It's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. However, your open criticism and blunt stereotyping speaks volumes to your character (or lack thereof, more specifically).

I've never met anyone who played anything 24/7. Or did anything, rather. Where you got that impression is a mystery to me.

The purpose of the game is entertainment. Guess this game: some people play it for a living, each game takes hours upon hours, and the players are typically highly anti-social as well as sleep-deprived and sickly pale. Did you guess the game yet?

That game is chess.

Video games are a waste of time and money to you because you don't enjoy it. That's fair. But a waste of brain cells? Please. Reading your post was a waste of brain cells. Playing interactive games keeps the mind sharp and studies have shown that gamers have on average 20% quicker reaction times than non-gamers. TV? Now that's for zombies.

Don't be so quick to judge other people's hobbies that you clearly know nothing about with brash accusations and blanket statements. I sincerely doubt that you're free of vices.
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Do something else with your lives
Oh ye who play this game nonstop 24/7, go find something
better to do with your life than play video games. Bottom line is
(and this game in particular), it's a waste of time, it's a waste of
money, it's a waste of brain cells.
Posted by hatandglasses13 (68 comments )
What do you suggest?...

Posted by TMB333 (115 comments )
Well, Ryan...

That game is chess.

Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
No need to recall, eBay it!
GTA:SA is going for $80-120 over on eBay. Why bother having it recalled or exchanging it? I've now sold 3 copies I grabbed from BB pre-pull for $30 a piece (Coupons from the CAG) and have made back 200% of what I spent.

I can't believe that people would think this is rare when there are currently over 5 million copies out there(or so I've read).
No need to recall, eBay it!

A horrible game anyway
Any game where you kill realistic looking law enforcement officers simply is an awful game anyway. Why do we need entertainment where you can stiff arm a stranger, steal a car and shoot policemen? It may be entertaining, and kids will like it - but it's on a whole other playing field than SOCOM, Unreal and other fantasy games.

The video game industry will eventually learn that while they make money here, their return is limited to teenagers who can get these games in the house despite what their parents would really think if they ever saw the game. The game industry should focus on titles that a just as cutting edge and close to reality, but have more appeal to all people - even teach the gamer something along the way...
Posted by Lanman1 (15 comments )
Some thoughts
>>Any game where you kill realistic looking law enforcement officers simply is an awful game anyway.<<
Nobody's defending the principle of the game or endorsing the killing of the elderly or law enforcement. To those who are supposed to be entitled to play the game (now 18 and over - a fair assessment, mind you), the morality of the above should not be an issue. The player should fully understand that the "protagonist," a term I use loosely, will at times be on the wrong side of the law.

>>Why do we need entertainment where you can stiff arm a stranger, steal a car and shoot policemen?<<
I'm guessing it's for the same reason we need books about heretical children, movies about glorified drug dealers and "tha gangsta lifestyle," and television shows about sexual promiscuity and homosexuality. Sex and violence not only sell in the free market, they sell quite well.

>>It may be entertaining, and kids will like it - but it's on a whole other playing field than SOCOM, Unreal and other fantasy games.<<
Kids are the root of the problem. That is to say, the game simply is not for them (and neither are SOCOM or Unreal, for that matter). Until we enforce that, the problem will exist in some form. The fact that the game exists is not the problem. The issue is that it's falling into the wrong hands and minds.

>>The video game industry will eventually learn that while they make money here, their return is limited to teenagers who can get these games in the house despite what their parents would really think if they ever saw the game.<<
As long as there are bad parents everywhere who don't pay any attention to the rating systems on games, there will always be 10-year-olds who play Grand Theft Auto.

>>The game industry should focus on titles that a just as cutting edge and close to reality, but have more appeal to all people - even teach the gamer something along the way...<<
There are plenty of games like that out there, but they either A) don't sell, or B) never make the news. As long as the public's knowledge of video games is limited to what the media and the politicians tell them to, we'll never get anywhere.
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
A horrible game anyway

Posted by Lanman1 (15 comments )
Some thoughts

Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
If I were Rock Star games.....
I would offer a replacement for $30. Then let's see how quickly those cheap excuses for parents react.
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )