June 30, 2006 4:09 PM PDT

OfficeMax bids farewell to mail-in rebates

Related Stories

OfficeMax: No evidence of security breach

March 14, 2006
Citing overwhelming customer dissatisfaction with its mail-in rebate system, OfficeMax said it will eliminate the program beginning this weekend.

After a year of working with suppliers to implement the change, the office products retailer decided to do away with mail-in rebates in favor of in-store discounts.

The decision was the culmination of almost uniformly negative feedback regarding the lengthy and often-frustrating process of mailing in a rebate form and proof of purchase, followed by weeks of waiting for a check, a company spokesman said on Friday.

"Rebates were the No. 1 customer complaint we were getting," said Ryan Vero, OfficeMax's chief merchandising officer.

Customers would often call the company or question store staff as to the whereabouts of their reimbursement checks, Vero said. Because OfficeMax has no control over rebates--they come from the product manufacturers--the company decided it "needed an easier way to do this."

Vero said the decision will benefit customers because the new discounts will make shopping simpler and will apply immediately.

"In our stores, they'll be able to save that money right at the register; they don't have to pay taxes on that or wait four to six weeks," he said.

In 2005, Best Buy announced it would end its rebate program in two years.

OfficeMax Inc., discount

Good
I've lost over $1000 in mail in rebates, over the last year (none for OfficeMax). I had $250 for a cell phone - where I had to wait 6 months, then send in 2 separate forms, within a 5 day period.

I hope we can reach a stage where the unobtainable mail-in rebates totally disappear - right now, I ignore them. I expect to get screwed & figure purchase price for a product, on the assumption that I won't get the rebate.
Posted by DryHeatDave (79 comments )
Good

Posted by DryHeatDave (79 comments )
Never lost an OfficeMax rebate; will miss this program
I have received hundreds of dollars' worth of OfficeMax rebates over the years. Every rebate request I filed was honored. Only twice did I have to call in, and in both cases, agents validated the rebates over the phone. OfficeMax rebates were indeed slow -- my worst one took 4 months to arrive.

I must also say that the staff at my local OfficeMax store were stellar. Employees would go out of their way to tell me about rebate specials, arrange substitutions for sold-out items, print two copies of each receipt (in the days before automatically-generated rebate receipts), etc.

I will miss the fun of rebate shopping at OfficeMax, and the sense that an hour spent filling out and mailing 10 rebate requests was earning me perhaps two hundred dollars. The great thing about rebates was that many people didn't bother to claim them, so the deals could be made quite generous. Now that everyone will get the discounts -- immediately and automatically -- the deals are bound to be less generous.

While I have no doubt that some people did have legitimate complaints about OfficeMax rebates (there were even some lawsuits years ago, I believe), most people probably didn't bother to read the rules, fill out the forms properly, or keep copies.

RIP MaxMyRebates.com!
Posted by rpms (96 comments )
can you read?
they aren't eliminating the discounts -- they are eliminating the frustrating rebate program. the manufacturers make it difficult, hoping you will forget or do something wrong, and you never send in the rebate material. OfficeMax is IMPROVING it by making it INSTANT rebates at the cash register.
Posted by ChazzMatt (169 comments )
Rebate Programs
While you may have had decent luck with the rebate programs, a sizable number of people do not. Manufacturer's have found that many people, indeed, do not take advantage of the rebate. Since this saves them money, it is more attractive than issuing coupons, which historically have a higher redemption rate.

Part of the problem with rebates lies in the fact that the manufacturer's contract processing out to a third party company. In order to get the business, the processing company makes promises such as guaranteed redemption rates, etc. These promises often leave the consumer in the dust. Even if you keep 2 copies of everything and make sure all the forms are filled out correctly, there is no guarantee that you will get the rebate due to these unscrupulous practices. When the rebate company is called one may hear "we didn't receive it" or "it was rejected because you forget <insert ridiculous item here" or "we haven't been paid by the manufacturer yet so we can't pay you until we get the money". If the manufacturer's handled their own rebates, there would be more accountability and more incentive to make sure that everything is handled. But then again, maybe the manufacturer's could price their items a little better. That way, there would be no need for such a program.
Posted by 04Outlander (16 comments )
I followed the rules
I followed the rules and I still had a problem. You shouldn't assume it's the persons fault just because you've been lucky.
Posted by MrHandle (71 comments )
Never lost an OfficeMax rebate; will miss this program

RIP MaxMyRebates.com!
Posted by rpms (96 comments )
can you read?
Posted by ChazzMatt (169 comments )
Rebate Programs

Posted by 04Outlander (16 comments )
I followed the rules
Posted by MrHandle (71 comments )
Best Buy rebates
Best Buy has not had any mail-in rebates on PC purchases for almost 6 mo. or so. The process of eliminating rebates is great for the consumer. BEST BUY ROCKS!!
Posted by Phil Anderson (4 comments )
Rebates
You say Best Buy has not had mail-in rebates for almost 6 mo., I purchased a PC from them 3 mo. ago and there was a mail-in rebate.
Posted by wbdace (8 comments )
Best Buy rebates
Posted by Phil Anderson (4 comments )
Rebates
Posted by wbdace (8 comments )
Rebate scams
Most people never realize that these rebate programs are scams
anyhow. The Makers of the products hire 3rd party vendors to
handle the rebates. They pay them a base fee to implement the
program for them, and tell the vendors as a added bonus for a
base fee, that they can keep the monies (rebates) they don't
have to pay out. This in turn makes the 3rd party vendors work
hard to denie your claim. i.e., you didn't put the right bar code
in the rebate, you put a copy of your reciept in instead of the
real reciept, you didn't put the correct model # on the rebate,
ect., ect., or you did everything right, and they hold off for at
least 8 weeks (why should it take 8 weeks for a rebate to get
back to you) so that you forget about the rebate, and if you
finally call in and complain, they will try and find your rebate
information. If you are persistant, ( you shouldn't have to be)
you will eventually get your money back, but the 3rd party
vendors will make it as hard as posible for you to get it back.
The makers and retailers really don't care, because they have got
their money already and put the burden of getting your rebate
back to you. I say stick with a store that has a low price, and
does not use that rebate scam, even if it is 10 dollars cheaper
with the rebate, because of all the hassle you have to go through
to get it. Think about it this way..., what is your time worth?
Would you pay yourself $10 an hour to deal with a rebate over a
period of time including the time that you spent fileing the
information to get your money in the 1st place?
Posted by smithjones (103 comments )
"SIGN PETITON " TIGER DIRECT REBATE RIPOFF'S
"Sign Petition " Tiger Direct Rebate Ripoff's
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ReBateRipoff" target="_newWindow">http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ReBateRipoff</a>

I have started a petition to have the FTC bring charges against "Tiger Direct (AKA)OnRebate (AKA)Rebate Processing Center" companies for not honoring their responsibilities towards sending rebate monies to the individual applicants who qualify under the terms of that rebate. Also the section that asks for rebate clients to pay "OnRebate" one dollar of the original amount to have the rebate expidited within three to five days of approval.

There has been a Search Results Criteria in Ripoff Report:
In All Reports: 448 Entries Found, Showing since 7/15/2004 to present. There is 52 alone since Jan 1-07 to present(March 7-07). As a result of this finding the FTC should be putting a stop to this kind of business practice and force "Tiger Direct (AKA)OnRebate (AKA)Rebate Processing Center" to send mony to all applicants who qualify ASAP.
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION TO STOP THIS NOW!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
UPDATE

I took the time to call OnRebate again today (MARCH 16th-07) and as usual waited a long time to get through to a person. After the wait I spoke to a call person "Pablo" who said once again "PAYMENT WILL BE SENT IN 7 to 10 BUSINESS DAYS", a promise that I'm sure will be broken again. Keep in mind that I applied in the beginning of January and the rebate was accepted on Jan. 12th and it was supposed to be sent within 5 day from then. That was 79 days ago and I'm told to wait another 10 days. I asked to speak to his boss but he couldn't oblige that request.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION www.ipetitions.com/petition/ReBateRipoff/ AGAINST THESE SCAM ARISTS LOCATED IN ORIGINAL REPORT...
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&#38;q4=&#38;q6=&#38;q3=&#38;q2=&#38;q7=&#38;searchtype=0&#38;submit2=Search%21&#38;q5=onrebate&#38;Search=Search" target="_newWindow">http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&#38;q4=&#38;q6=&#38;q3=&#38;q2=&#38;q7=&#38;searchtype=0&#38;submit2=Search%21&#38;q5=onrebate&#38;Search=Search</a>
Posted by Jack_Z (4 comments )
Rebate scams
Most people never realize that these rebate programs are scams
anyhow. The Makers of the products hire 3rd party vendors to
handle the rebates. They pay them a base fee to implement the
program for them, and tell the vendors as a added bonus for a
base fee, that they can keep the monies (rebates) they don't
have to pay out. This in turn makes the 3rd party vendors work
hard to denie your claim. i.e., you didn't put the right bar code
in the rebate, you put a copy of your reciept in instead of the
real reciept, you didn't put the correct model # on the rebate,
ect., ect., or you did everything right, and they hold off for at
least 8 weeks (why should it take 8 weeks for a rebate to get
back to you) so that you forget about the rebate, and if you
finally call in and complain, they will try and find your rebate
information. If you are persistant, ( you shouldn't have to be)
you will eventually get your money back, but the 3rd party
vendors will make it as hard as posible for you to get it back.
The makers and retailers really don't care, because they have got
their money already and put the burden of getting your rebate
back to you. I say stick with a store that has a low price, and
does not use that rebate scam, even if it is 10 dollars cheaper
with the rebate, because of all the hassle you have to go through
to get it. Think about it this way..., what is your time worth?
Would you pay yourself $10 an hour to deal with a rebate over a
period of time including the time that you spent fileing the
information to get your money in the 1st place?
Posted by smithjones (103 comments )
"SIGN PETITON " TIGER DIRECT REBATE RIPOFF'S
"Sign Petition " Tiger Direct Rebate Ripoff's

There has been a Search Results Criteria in Ripoff Report:
PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION TO STOP THIS NOW!

UPDATE

Posted by Jack_Z (4 comments )
Thank God!!
Maybe this is the beginning of the end of this horrid practice. Even assuming you get you rebate eventually, somebody else has use of your money until you get the rebate check. And you have paid a sales tax on money you get back. A $100 rebate rebate in Tennessee amounts to only a $90.75 rebate since you have to pay tax on the full amount.

It seems like CompUSA has a mail-in rebate on every item in their sales brochure. That's why I *NEVER* shop there. This practice drives me from from the brick-and-mortar stores to online stores where I can usually find the same items without rebates for the same overall price. It costs the local stores my business to continue what I believe is basically a deceptive practice.

So OfficeMax, thank you for the change. I'll start shopping with you again. All of you other pro-rebate stores, you're losing my business to the online stores and to OfficeMax.
Posted by TotallyMadeUpName (170 comments )
Thank God!!

Posted by TotallyMadeUpName (170 comments )
Thank God!!

Posted by TotallyMadeUpName (170 comments )
Thank God!!

Posted by TotallyMadeUpName (170 comments )
It's about time!!!

Posted by TotallyMadeUpName (170 comments )
It's about time!!!

Posted by TotallyMadeUpName (170 comments )
I will add OM to my shopping list.
I hope Fry's and Staples will follow. Every time I see a mail in rebate.. I take for granted that they will never send it, not all the time, and not every company is the same, Canon is very good, once only took 3 weeks to get a rebate from Canon but others are a nightmare. As a consumer if I don't get a dicount never will purchase the same brand again, and my memory is excellent once I black list a brand or a retailer.

I'll keep it in mind and give OM the first visit, in a long time.
Posted by gerardogerardo80 (28 comments )
I will add OM to my shopping list.

I'll keep it in mind and give OM the first visit, in a long time.
Posted by gerardogerardo80 (28 comments )
Still Won't do Business With Them
It took me 6 months of fighting with them to get a rebate they owed me. I've never had a rebate problem with any other company. I won't do business with OfficeMax anymore.
Posted by MrHandle (71 comments )
Still Won't do Business With Them
Posted by MrHandle (71 comments )
Never Had Prob with Rebates. But now I LOVE OfficeMax.
I never had a problem with any of my rebates. My calendar program keeps track of them for me. And my yahoo supplied multiple email addresses for each vendor lets me receive confirmation email without the attendent spam.

But the wait for my own money is annoying. OfficeMax will definitely see more of me now.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Never had a problem.... Not me....
There's only one place where I've bought a lot of stuff that came
with a lot of rebates and never had a problem.

That was the MacMall.

I have to say I expected them to do whatever they could to screw
me over, especially considering the number and dollar value of
them.

Not a chance - I got every last one in a timely fashion. I couldn't
believe it. I went back a little while back, same deal. That's one
place that didn't try to rip me off, but I will say, that you have to
use rebates at all makes me sick.

I agree with another reader that the discounts will be less
generous if everybody is getting them now. I don't care. I'd
rather get less generous discounts right away then wait for
weeks while a company tries to come up with various schemes
to rip you off.

Not to mention, there are companies that are there solely to
manage rebate programs for the companies that offer them.
What a complete and utter waste of resources.

Charles R. Whealton
Chuck Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com
Posted by chuck_whealton (521 comments )
Never Had Prob with Rebates. But now I LOVE OfficeMax.

Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Never had a problem.... Not me....
There's only one place where I've bought a lot of stuff that came
with a lot of rebates and never had a problem.

That was the MacMall.

I have to say I expected them to do whatever they could to screw
me over, especially considering the number and dollar value of
them.

Not a chance - I got every last one in a timely fashion. I couldn't
believe it. I went back a little while back, same deal. That's one
place that didn't try to rip me off, but I will say, that you have to
use rebates at all makes me sick.

I agree with another reader that the discounts will be less
generous if everybody is getting them now. I don't care. I'd
rather get less generous discounts right away then wait for
weeks while a company tries to come up with various schemes
to rip you off.

Not to mention, there are companies that are there solely to
manage rebate programs for the companies that offer them.
What a complete and utter waste of resources.

Charles R. Whealton
Chuck Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com
Posted by chuck_whealton (521 comments )
Discounts will be less generous, now that everyone gets them
I didn't say that the discounts would be eliminated, only that they would necessarily be made less generous.

For example, certain items were regularly offered as "free after rebate". You might have paid $10 + tax for a pack of blank CDs, and then been eligible to file for a $10 rebate. It is unlikely that OfficeMax will now begin handing out packs of blank CDs for free, i.e. with no exchange of money at the cash register. The economics of "free after rebate" worked only because some shoppers never bothered to claim their rebates.

Cranks who want the deals but don't want to do the work (filling out the form legibly, attaching the right proof of purchase, keeping copies, and respecting the postmark date) have spoiled it for everyone.
Posted by rpms (96 comments )
Sorry, this was a reply to ChazzMatt's "can you read?" posting
Posted in the wrong spot.
Posted by rpms (96 comments )
Maybe smaller but definitely more fair
Rebate programs stink, if it were polititions receiving them they'd be called "kickbacks".

Yes you may see fewer and smaller discounts than you did in the past but this way everyone will get them instead of just the obsessive.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Discounts will be less generous, now that everyone gets them

Posted by rpms (96 comments )
Sorry, this was a reply to ChazzMatt's "can you read?" posting
Posted in the wrong spot.
Posted by rpms (96 comments )
Maybe smaller but definitely more fair

Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Excellent move, OfficeMax!
I really *hate* the mail-in rebate process. Just discount the price! Lets hope the other big box stores follow suit and get rid of these things.
Excellent move, OfficeMax!
Rebate take too long
Rebates take forever and half of them you never get back. Rebates take from 4-6 wks, then to 6-8 and now 8-10 weeks. Months of waiting and something they find someway to say its incomplete.

Personally, I dont like it and trouble with it.
It about time some Retailer get rid of some rebate.
Posted by xader (53 comments )