April 27, 2006 10:40 AM PDT

Nintendo Revolution renamed 'Wii'

For more than a year, Nintendo's forthcoming next-generation video game console has been known by its code name, Revolution. But on Thursday, the company unveiled the machine's real name, "Wii."

The name--which is pronounced "we"--is meant to invoke the feeling of cooperation that comes when people play games together. Further, Nintendo said, the written name is meant to visually conjure up the image of two people standing together.

"The goal is we are a highly innovative company and we want the name to speak to that innovation and uniqueness," said Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs. "If you were to look at (the name of the controller) visually, the point isn't just how you pronounce it, but it symbolizes the controllers, which are one of the most innovative and unique parts of the system.

The Wii, which is expected to launch in the fourth quarter, is Nintendo's answer to Microsoft's Xbox 360, which launched last fall, and Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3. Nintendo has, so far, been differentiating what has been known as the Revolution by promoting its controller, which players will hold in a single hand like a remote control.

In any case, Kaplan admitted that some people won't know how to pronounce "Wii" but said Nintendo will embark on an ambitious campaign to ensure that's not a problem come the console's expected fourth-quarter launch.

That push will include disseminating a Web video--currently available at Nintendo.com--as well as television ads that will begin airing later this year.

"We think that after some time," Kaplan said, "people will become comfortable with it. But it will strike people as different, and that's what we're after."

Nintendo Co. Ltd., Nintendo Wii, controller, console, Microsoft Corp.

Why?
I liked Revolution better.

(And in the subject, yes, pun intended.)
Taking the WiiWii
I think its Japanese for 'a cheap piece of plastic you get free with your breakfast cerial'
Posted by richto (895 comments )
Why?
I liked Revolution better.

(And in the subject, yes, pun intended.)
Taking the WiiWii
Posted by richto (895 comments )
Wii-diculous
They should have stuck with "Revolution" - that is a much more marketable and appealing name than "Wii".

How can anyone or third-party publisher consider it a serious gaming machine with that name?

Nintendo better have a very considerable library at debut and I don't mean the usual "Mario", "Linx", or any other cuddly Nintendo "disney-esque" character games with this unit (Wii) or they have spent a lot of money on a turkey because of the "turn off" sounding name.

Seriously, if this unit don't fly, Nintendo better stick with portable gaming or consider going the same route that Sega did about five years ago.

My two cents,
Ned
Posted by techned (200 comments )
Super Wii-diculous
This has got to be the hands-down dummest move I've ever seen in a company. I woke up this morning sure that I wanted a Nintendo Revolution when it came out but now I'm not so eager to run up to the store and snatch a wii out of some kids hands and flopping it out on the counter and saying "Ring me up Scotty" (actually that sounds fun). I like to invite friends over to play games sometimes but i don't want them to touch my wii. I cannot even begin to explain my dissapointment with this name hopefully the negative feed-back will make them awaken from their comas down at Nintendo.

As far as I'm concerned they can site on their wii and go for a spin!
Posted by itcool (8 comments )
Super Wii-diculous

As far as I'm concerned they can sit on their wii and go for a spin!
Posted by itcool (8 comments )
Super Wii-diculous

As far as I'm concerned they can sit on their wii and go for a spin!
Posted by itcool (8 comments )
Wii-diculous

My two cents,
Ned
Posted by techned (200 comments )
Super Wii-diculous

As far as I'm concerned they can site on their wii and go for a spin!
Posted by itcool (8 comments )
Super Wii-diculous

As far as I'm concerned they can sit on their wii and go for a spin!
Posted by itcool (8 comments )
Super Wii-diculous

As far as I'm concerned they can sit on their wii and go for a spin!
Posted by itcool (8 comments )
Dumbest marketing move ever for Nintendo
Can you see it now? "Hey, wanna play with my Wii?" Or, "My Wii is yellow, what color is yours?"

Stupid.
Posted by Jeff Putz (302 comments )
Dumbest marketing move ever for Nintendo

Stupid.
Posted by Jeff Putz (302 comments )
I like it.
It's catchy. Sticks to your brain. Sure it has childish interpretations but being a creative person myself, I think the name is perfect. I dig the multiple meanings it has.

People who don't like the name are probably the same people who giggle when they hear words like "penal code".
Posted by Bob_Barker (167 comments )
I like it.

Posted by Bob_Barker (167 comments )
Depends on how they spin it
This name could either be good or bad, depending on the ads.

If the ads seem goofy and childish, it will resonate against those qualities already represented by the name itself.

However, if the ads are sleek and classy, and the logo is clean and simple (which looks to be the case), then the "Wii" thing could be spun off as "it's cool to be a kid again."

I expect the latter case, of course, and I imagine an ad campaign similar to the DS. At the end of each commericial, if a child's voice whispered "wee" in sort of a mystical way, it would do wonders in changing the perception of the name.
Posted by alucinor (71 comments )
Depends on how they spin it
This name could either be good or bad, depending on the ads.

Posted by alucinor (71 comments )
this invokes a hmmm...
Well I guess they are certainly moving out of the more hardcore gamer segement of males 8-35 and into the market of gamers 4-120 men and women. I'm not sure if the market everywhere is ready for it but it certainly has logic if you live in Japan where gaming has become something that is enjoyed by the masses. Yes the cool games with the best graphics and biggest budgets will probably be reserved for MS and Sony but the others the many many others beyond the few blockbuster a year will still be with Nintendo. I would think this whole idea is crazy if I did not actually know a number of 50+ female gamers who play WoW and so many other online games now, it's kinda weird. Though that demographic is small I think the system will try to cater to a broader market. Will this take off in areas outside of asia? I don't know, only time will tell on that one but there is a sleeping giant of soon to be retirees who played pong and are looking for fun over graphically intense explosions and shiny cars.
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
Grandmother
There was a news story on here awhile ago about some 80 year old who was a grandmother of 5. She went and beat a bunch of people at halo. won the contest and everything. was crazy...
Posted by Amazingant (146 comments )
this invokes a hmmm...
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
Grandmother
Posted by Amazingant (146 comments )
The new "Nova"
Did Nintendo bother to run this by some english-speaking folks by any chance? I agree with the previous comments saying that "Revolution" was much, much better. This really sounds silly, awkward and downright dumb. Kinda reminds me of the Intel "VIIV" nonsense.
Posted by Neo Con (428 comments )
Viiv and Wii and WiFi
You know, good point bringing up Viiv. Viiv and Wii are both going to become big at the same time, and yet we're supposed to pronounced one as a long I sound and the other as a long E sound? This -- and also WiFi -- is exactly why my first thought was "Why," not "We."
The new "Nova"
Posted by Neo Con (428 comments )
Viiv and Wii and WiFi
Mixed feelings...
Having a crazy name like "Wii" is Nintendo's style. Right now
everyone is shocked but the mainstream will get used to it in a
while. They aren't going for the hardcore gamer group, so this
name could be perfect for the young, kid at heart, and women.
Posted by Henry Frohlich (6 comments )
Mixed feelings...
Having a crazy name like "Wii" is Nintendo's style. Right now
everyone is shocked but the mainstream will get used to it in a
while. They aren't going for the hardcore gamer group, so this
name could be perfect for the young, kid at heart, and women.
Posted by Henry Frohlich (6 comments )
Too much fun to be had
I can't wait until I hear people saying:
"I wanna Wii" or "I gotta Wii" or "I can't wait for a Wii"

I think there may be a cultural issue here Nintendo might want to look at.

Sony and Microsoft are going to have a field day with this.
Posted by schubb (202 comments )
Too much fun to be had
I can't wait until I hear people saying:
"I wanna Wii" or "I gotta Wii" or "I can't wait for a Wii"

I think there may be a cultural issue here Nintendo might want to look at.

Sony and Microsoft are going to have a field day with this.
Posted by schubb (202 comments )
Me Like-eee Wii
I dig the name. It's nice and short. You can play around with the design of it. It's easily memorable as a web address.
Posted by alvisbrigis (6 comments )
Hell yeah
This name is awesome. I work in marketing for a game company so I can see where Nintendo is going with this. It's a great idea.
Posted by Bob_Barker (167 comments )
Me Like-eee Wii
Posted by alvisbrigis (6 comments )
Hell yeah
Posted by Bob_Barker (167 comments )
Wii would be a good marketing term but bad name for the actual thing
The adds should be the Revolution then a bunch of cool clips of video games and people having fun then the tag line Wii. Then in a year when the tag line Wii gets old( and it will get old) they can change it. If its the name of the thing they're stuck with it. I mean whats the updated version going to be called. The mega Wii or the super Wii or man that was a good Wii.
Posted by membacher (2 comments )
the Wii 2 would be called...
the "OUS"...pronounced "us" as it inspires the imagery of an obese American playing with very skinny conjoined twins. And a snake. Can't forget the snake. That snake would infact be the new controller, as it wriggles around in your hand you not only battle against the various iterations of Mario, Link, Metroid, etc. on screen, but against the semi-venomous snake-controller in your hand. It would also be a throw-back to Centipede!
Posted by Shazbot42 (2 comments )
Wii would be a good marketing term but bad name for the actual thing
Posted by membacher (2 comments )
the Wii 2 would be called...
Posted by Shazbot42 (2 comments )
Terrible!
This is the worst name choice since the Sony Wega (pronounced "Vega") television sets.

Wii that sounds like We?!? Why not go with WE for Wireless Entertainment or something? Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, those all were easy to understand. But instead of marketing, Nintendo will be wasting money on getting people to call it "We" and not think that someone messed up an abbreviation for WWII (World War II.)

The Revolution name was good: it fit with the younger image and market that Nintendo had the niche for. But the Wii?!? More like Why did they do this?
Posted by Lou Pickney (2 comments )
Terrible!

Posted by Lou Pickney (2 comments )
Terrible Name, Undo This Idea Now!
"Revolution" is a good name.

"Wii" sucks.

This ideas needs to go into the dustbin of history down below where new Coke has sunk.
Posted by SuezanneC (10 comments )