May 23, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

Nike runs with an iPod

Your Nikes can now talk to your iPod.

Apple Computer CEO Steve Jobs and Nike CEO Mark Parker on Tuesday unveiled new products that connect the Nike+ Air Zoom Moire, a new running shoe outfitted with a sensor and receiver, with an iPod Nano to report running data in real time and track joggers' progress.

Nike+iPod Sport Kit

The Nike+iPod Sport Kit, which will be available through the Apple Store in about three months, is expected to cost $29.

"Information on time, distance, calories burned and pace is stored on the iPod and displayed on the screen," according to a statement released by Apple. This information is also reported via iPod users' headphones as they run.

Runners can program a particular workout into their iPod Nano using "The Nike+ Experience" software, available July 13. While running, a woman's voice will inform runners of their progress. When the workout is done and the iPod is synced with the runner's computer, progress is charted.

The announcement took place at a New York event with Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France bicycling champion, who is training for his first New York City Marathon.

"If you can incorporate time, distance and calories burned together, and make it function for both the fitness runner and the high-level athlete, it will take working out to a whole other level," Armstrong said in a statement.

Nike Inc., Apple iPod, Apple iPod Nano, progress, Apple Computer

Nice!
Great idea! Another hurdle for Apple competitors.
Posted by edgedesign (290 comments )
Nice!
Great idea! Another hurdle for Apple competitors.
Posted by edgedesign (290 comments )
OK, $29 Is Below the Threshold of Pain ...
so I'm probably going to try it out (I wonder if it can be returned if it doesn't meet my expectations after being in a sweaty running shoe, as long as I wore socks, like you're required to wear underwear under a clothing in order to be able to return it? :) ).

I also wonder how much material has to be gouged out of a non-Nike shoe in order for the sensor to fit? I have a pair of very nice cycling shoes that this sensor might fit into, and even if Nike ever does offer a cycling shoe with a pocket for the sensor, I'm most likely never going to buy it. At least Nike had the smarts to realize that they would make a lot more money selling sensors that can be inserted into any shoe, than limiting sale of sensors to only those in their own shoes. Give the people that came up with that idea, and those who approved it, a big bonus, tied directly to the volume of sales of the sensors.

Just for fun, I'm going to check on-line and see what the costs of such a sensor, the likely piezoelectric/inductive power generator (assuming and hoping it doesn't use something like a watch battery), the receiver/processor, Nano docking connector, etc. I'm almost certain I couldn't buy just the parts in unit quantities for $29, much less an integrated, ruggedized product (the sensor has to survive a humid, high G force, chewing-dog environment that may also include being left outside in freezing and/or sweltering weather, and possibly running in the surf), not to mention the software that needs to run on the Nano.

Finally, is the docking connector on the Nano different from the one on the Video iPod (which I just bought)? Is there any reason why this system wouldn't work on a Video iPod (the software should download and run the same, modulo getting the receiver connected). I sure hope Apple didn't paint themselves into a corner in this regard, but it just seems like one of those things they usually find so tempting to do, and they may try to do that if they think Nano sales need a boost. I will not support that kind of short-sighted decision, if that's what they've done, and I hope that others who share this opinion make it abundantly clear that it't completely unacceptable, in that case.

All the Best,
Joe Blow
Posted by Joe Blow (175 comments )
Re: OK, $29 Is Below the Threshold of Pain ...
it is probably nano-only because -

A) the video ipod has a HARD DRIVE and thus should NOT be used
during running

B) the other flash ipod, the shuffle, has no screen

that's not short-sighted business, that's sound engineering
Posted by tedk7 (66 comments )
OK, $29 Is Below the Threshold of Pain ...

All the Best,
Joe Blow
Posted by Joe Blow (175 comments )
Re: OK, $29 Is Below the Threshold of Pain ...
it is probably nano-only because -

A) the video ipod has a HARD DRIVE and thus should NOT be used
during running

B) the other flash ipod, the shuffle, has no screen

that's not short-sighted business, that's sound engineering
Posted by tedk7 (66 comments )
French require all shoes to talk to each other
Yes but now the French in their zeal for interoperability will want all
shoes to communicate with each other and every mp3 player out
there.
Posted by holycow (44 comments )
Perfect!
LOL! Great post!
Posted by ssmiroldo (53 comments )
Perfect!
LOL! Great post!
Posted by ssmiroldo (53 comments )
French require all shoes to talk to each other
Yes but now the French in their zeal for interoperability will want all
shoes to communicate with each other and every mp3 player out
there.
Posted by holycow (44 comments )
Perfect!
LOL! Great post!
Posted by ssmiroldo (53 comments )
Perfect!
LOL! Great post!
Posted by ssmiroldo (53 comments )
Pedometers Already Do That
The inexpensive New-Lifestyles (YAMAX) brand pedometer I use counts steps, miles, and calories.

Fancier pedometers have additional functions.

The Nike/iPod unit may have merit, but other devices have been doing that for years.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Tell that to the millions of iPod owners
and see if they care. They will probably tell you but this is so much cooler!
Posted by daveworld (123 comments )
You should look more closely at this
There's more to it than meets the eye.

For starters, while you do get in-progress reports on your
workout the same as other devices out there, you;re getting it
within the same unit you listen to your music with as you
workout. ONE device; a device that already fits into peoples lives
in other ways, fits into their physical activated already, but NOW
does so on a whole new level.

The other thing that happens is that it tracks your progress and
shares it on the web with others if you so choose. you can track
and plan your progress right on your computer.

And then, of course it all works together well like everything
Apple makes.

No other MP3 maker thinks of this stuff.

So yes, you are right that it has merit. You are right that Apple
didn't invent it (not that anybody said they did). They didn't
invent the MP3 player, they didn't even invent online music
retailing. BUT, they turned these paradigms on their heads and
made them WORK like never before. Thois Nike thing -- and
everything Apple makes -- has Apple's prized attention to detail
and execution. THAT is where Apple's innovation lies. Building
the best damned mousetrap even seen.
Posted by MacDuff (62 comments )
Pedometers Already Do That

Fancier pedometers have additional functions.

Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Tell that to the millions of iPod owners
and see if they care. They will probably tell you but this is so much cooler!
Posted by daveworld (123 comments )
You should look more closely at this
There's more to it than meets the eye.

For starters, while you do get in-progress reports on your
workout the same as other devices out there, you;re getting it
within the same unit you listen to your music with as you
workout. ONE device; a device that already fits into peoples lives
in other ways, fits into their physical activated already, but NOW
does so on a whole new level.

The other thing that happens is that it tracks your progress and
shares it on the web with others if you so choose. you can track
and plan your progress right on your computer.

And then, of course it all works together well like everything
Apple makes.

No other MP3 maker thinks of this stuff.

So yes, you are right that it has merit. You are right that Apple
didn't invent it (not that anybody said they did). They didn't
invent the MP3 player, they didn't even invent online music
retailing. BUT, they turned these paradigms on their heads and
made them WORK like never before. Thois Nike thing -- and
everything Apple makes -- has Apple's prized attention to detail
and execution. THAT is where Apple's innovation lies. Building
the best damned mousetrap even seen.
Posted by MacDuff (62 comments )
Very Cool!
Very impressed! Have you all visited Apple's site and checked
this out ( <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/run.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/run.html</a> ). They
have examples of what it sounds like and how it works.

Apple keeps coming up with some fantastic innovations.
Melding the basic functions of an iPod with benefits and uses for
what that iPod may be used for.
Posted by ssmiroldo (53 comments )
Very Cool!
Very impressed! Have you all visited Apple's site and checked
have examples of what it sounds like and how it works.

Apple keeps coming up with some fantastic innovations.
Melding the basic functions of an iPod with benefits and uses for
what that iPod may be used for.
Posted by ssmiroldo (53 comments )
Brand Recognition
Is placing the Nike swoosh and the bitten Apple logos side-by-
side overkill? Or maybe it's a Brand Manager's wet dream.
Posted by baquiano (18 comments )
Brand Recognition
Is placing the Nike swoosh and the bitten Apple logos side-by-
side overkill? Or maybe it's a Brand Manager's wet dream.
Posted by baquiano (18 comments )
Lame `product
Take the tempurature of my nutz..while im jogging, now that more like it...

If I am jogging, I already know what distance im going, burning calories doesnt mean anything unless ur a fat ass who inturn would rather be sitting in a park bench distracted by just one more device to leverage the power of his hunger for another candybar.

"Convieniance store in 1 minute, calories burned 1"

Didnt a company already do this that has a range of gadgets to complement the need? So I guess this is the first armsttrong has seen to take everyone to the next "level"

-State of Mind-
Posted by sysjunky (16 comments )
Lame `product
Take the tempurature of my nutz..while im jogging, now that more like it...

"Convieniance store in 1 minute, calories burned 1"

-State of Mind-
Posted by sysjunky (16 comments )
Music will keep tempo with your jogging pace!
Rumor has it that new iPod Firmware may have the ability to
make your music keep tempo with the speed of your running or
walking. That would be neat, I have always want some songs to
play a bit faster or slower... The downside is that if you
slowdown for a hill or something your upbeat motivational rock
song might turn into a slow dance...

Mike
Founder-Switching to Mac
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.switchingtomac.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.switchingtomac.com</a>
Posted by mkaye (5 comments )
Matching music tempo to jogging pace
jogtunes.com is a website that provides lists of songs that
match jogging and running cadences.
Posted by joggernut (3 comments )
Music will keep tempo with your jogging pace!
Rumor has it that new iPod Firmware may have the ability to
make your music keep tempo with the speed of your running or
walking. That would be neat, I have always want some songs to
play a bit faster or slower... The downside is that if you
slowdown for a hill or something your upbeat motivational rock
song might turn into a slow dance...

Mike
Founder-Switching to Mac
Posted by mkaye (5 comments )
Matching music tempo to jogging pace
jogtunes.com is a website that provides lists of songs that
match jogging and running cadences.
Posted by joggernut (3 comments )
Nike tried this before
I believe Nike tried this before with one of the Rio MP3 players. This player I think had the built in software to due all the things that they are trying to do now. The only problem at the time was that the Rio Mp3 player only had 256 MB storage. It wasn't much of a player overall.
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )
Nike tried this before
Posted by sanjayb (538 comments )