April 3, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

MySpace to hold mock presidential election

MySpace.com announced on Tuesday plans to hold a virtual presidential election.

The mock election, to be held January 1 and 2, will be open to all MySpace users who reside in the United States, regardless of voting eligibility in the government-run election in November 2008.

Although the MySpace votes won't count for the official election, results compiled from the News Corp. social-networking site's millions of members may help candidates gauge their potential success in real voting booths next year. They also may provide a glimpse into overall public sentiment for the politicians.

"Iowa and New Hampshire may be selecting delegates, but the MySpace vote will be the first test of where candidates stand in the election year," MySpace President Tom Anderson said in a statement.

Prior to holding its mock online election, MySpace plans to conduct virtual straw polls of its members. The results of these polls and the virtual primary results will be posted on MySpace's Impact channel.

The channel, launched last month, aims to serve as an online hub for the 2008 elections, housing the MySpace profiles of such presidential candidates as Hillary Clinton, John Edwards and Barack Obama.

MySpace, presidential election, News Corp., election, candidate

Just what we need
A horde of jobless teenagers picking the president like its a vote on prom king and queen. I'm sure the results will end up big 'news' too as our 'journalists' suck up the fabricated story.

I bet Edwards wins Prom Queen.
Posted by LuvThatCO2 (187 comments )
Edwards?
First off, i'll say i'm from Canada so you can eat me up for that if you want. But from what i've seen and heard around the internet, the mind of jobless, hopeless, idea-less teenagers are quite happy with Mr. Obama right now...in fact, right now, he has over 70 000 more "friends" than Edwards, which may not mean much, but with Obama's online escapade over Second Life and other mentionable websites, it seems he may win over the vote-less teenagers..
Posted by Muskokas.Finest (1 comment )
Is it fair to generalize everyone on myspace as jobless teenagers?
Posted by andreasjh (2 comments )
what a joke
Geez, now who would a bunch of jobless teenagers who believe everything the liberal media tells them vote for? Hmmm...It's a joke because it's quite obvious the myspace community is overwhelmingly liberal and does not reflect any of the polls available. How many teens have actually heard of John McCain or Barrack Obama?

The media of course will eat this story alive.
Posted by Homer625 (4 comments )
teenagers
I've heard of them... I happen to be a teenager.
To tell the truth alot more of the youth is getting into politics or what have you right under your nose.

I believe my generation voices are going to be heard more then the adults in this presidential election.

-Tiff
Posted by Tiffanylotus (4 comments )
Is it fair to generalize everyone on myspace as jobless teenagers?
Posted by andreasjh (2 comments )
Is it just me?
Is it just me, or does anybody else think this is STUPID?

So the candidates are supposed to take MySpace fake votes seriously?

Not that it's an indication of my own voting, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the liberal leaning candidates would win that election.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com
Posted by chuck_whealton (521 comments )
Total joke ...can't wait
I mean, like, duh, George Bush is just a mean man.
Posted by esau999 (1 comment )
Good Point
You might have a good point, as there might be an overwhelming
liberal community on myspace, but to assume that teens and
young people no nothing of politics is ridiculous. I am willing to say
that the general population of older teens 17,18,19 probably have
a higher lever education thtat the general population of adults.
Posted by apachie2k (2 comments )
I highly agree with you.

Alot of people do not give my generation the benfit of the doubt. Not all are out there to party and have a good time.

Many, such as myself want their voice to be heard.
I believe many teenagers just need the chance to step forth.
Some adults don't care what's going on in the world, but people rather look to them the a teenager that "seems" to know what they are talking about.

-Tiff
Posted by Tiffanylotus (4 comments )