January 12, 2006 4:28 PM PST

Music stops for Mac Windows Media Player

Related Stories

Jobs: New Intel Macs are 'screamers'

January 10, 2006

Microsoft drops Mac IE

December 19, 2005

Microsoft to kill MSN for the Mac

March 11, 2005
Microsoft has officially halted development of its Windows Media Player for the Mac and plans no future Apple Computer versions of its music-playing software.

"We have no plans to provide future updates or product support for Windows Media Player for Mac," Adam Anderson, Microsoft public relations manager, said in an interview Thursday.

The company will continue to offer the current version for download. It also has announced a deal to offer for free the Flip4Mac plug-in from Telestream that will allow Mac OS X users to play Windows Media video and audio directly from Apple's QuickTime Player software.

Microsoft has not released a significant update to Windows Media Player for Mac in some time. The current Mac OS X version, Windows Media Player 9, was released in November 2003. Microsoft also offers an even older Mac OS 9 version.

Anderson said the decision to halt work on Windows Media Player for the Mac was a matter of prioritizing for Microsoft's Windows Media unit.

"It's basically a business decision for Microsoft," Anderson said. "Like any other company, we have business priorities. Our focus really is in delivering the best experience to Windows customers."

The move comes just as Microsoft announced a pact with Apple that guarantees that the software maker will deliver new versions of Office for Mac for the next five years.

Despite the recent pact, Microsoft has scaled back the number of Mac products it offers over the past several years. The company has halted work on its Internet Explorer for Mac Web browser and also shelved an MSN for Mac Internet service.

Microsoft has said it will come out with new versions of Office and MSN Messenger. The company has not announced definitive plans for its other main Mac product, Virtual PC.

Word that Microsoft would stop development of its Windows Media Player for the Mac was earlier reported by BetaNews.

Who cares about WMP for music, it's about video compatibility!
Telestream's Flip4Mac is not the same. It conflicts with other
software that QuickTime handles.

Unfortunaltely, I need WiMP for video, because some
exclusionary websites (and devices, and the increasingly
important burgeoning mobile video) offer only Windows Media
video, shutting out Real and QuickTime. This is in large part due
to the Windows monopoly which in effect stifles competition.

There's more here than meets the eye. Didn't Microsoft submit
it's codec VC-1 to the Standards body for approval in a
purported effort to offer compatibility? Sure, as long as it's
Windows. Hey about the noew kids on the block, Linux and
resurgent Apple Computer.

Long live the monopoly. "Emerging markets" (other than the
desktop PC) will, by default, end up using Microsoft-Windows
technologies, not for their merit, but once again, becuase of
volume.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Won't be missed...
Still have Quicktime. Realmedia and WMP will be gradually dumped
for Flash all across the internet. MS is canceling the development
of a dead concept. I would expect WMP for WIndows to follow in
the not too distant future
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Who cares about WMP for music, it's about video compatibility!
Telestream's Flip4Mac is not the same. It conflicts with other
software that QuickTime handles.

Unfortunaltely, I need WiMP for video, because some
exclusionary websites (and devices, and the increasingly
important burgeoning mobile video) offer only Windows Media
video, shutting out Real and QuickTime. This is in large part due
to the Windows monopoly which in effect stifles competition.

There's more here than meets the eye. Didn't Microsoft submit
it's codec VC-1 to the Standards body for approval in a
purported effort to offer compatibility? Sure, as long as it's
Windows. Hey about the noew kids on the block, Linux and
resurgent Apple Computer.

Long live the monopoly. "Emerging markets" (other than the
desktop PC) will, by default, end up using Microsoft-Windows
technologies, not for their merit, but once again, becuase of
volume.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Won't be missed...
Still have Quicktime. Realmedia and WMP will be gradually dumped
for Flash all across the internet. MS is canceling the development
of a dead concept. I would expect WMP for WIndows to follow in
the not too distant future
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
What people want is choice!! (or at least that's what MS tells us)
So MS, I thought your mantra was that people want choice when it
comes to buying Music online. With no further development on the
Mac of WiMP, how would Mac users ever buy your music? You can
have any choice you want, as long as it's Windows!

Oh, and MS, I DON'T want choice, I want 1 thing that works really
really well. Oh look, I already have that. Thanks Apple!
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
so why you crying?
you said it yourself you dont want choice and you are already happy.... so why do you CARE what MS does?

Now go play with your happy self and be sure not to run that windows emulator since you already happy with Apple....

yeah thats what I thought...
Posted by The user with no name (259 comments )
What people want is choice!! (or at least that's what MS tells us)
So MS, I thought your mantra was that people want choice when it
comes to buying Music online. With no further development on the
Mac of WiMP, how would Mac users ever buy your music? You can
have any choice you want, as long as it's Windows!

Oh, and MS, I DON'T want choice, I want 1 thing that works really
really well. Oh look, I already have that. Thanks Apple!
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
so why you crying?

yeah thats what I thought...
Posted by The user with no name (259 comments )
Only half of the movies worked
while the others said I needed a codec that MS thought we Mac
users didn't need? Just stopped even trying to view wmvs after a
while. Won't miss it at all.
Only half of the movies worked
while the others said I needed a codec that MS thought we Mac
users didn't need? Just stopped even trying to view wmvs after a
while. Won't miss it at all.
WMP for Mac is junk
I hate the worthless Windows Media Player for Mac. Is there an alternative? I feel like I have to use this pathetic software when I want to listen to WMA files because I know of nothing else that can handle such formats. Any suggestions?
Posted by andyengle (74 comments )
Yes there is
It is called VLC.

VLC is open source, is multi-platform (Windows, OSX, Linux, BSD, etc.), has many Codecs, can read CD/VCD/DVD, can stream (oh yes), and more!
iTunes
iTunes converts .wma's to .mp3 when you import..itunes is 100000000000000000000000000 times better than WMP. i think winamp has a mac version also, and that plays vids.
Posted by michael902 (4 comments )
Great plugin
that allows you to watch WMP video and audio within Quicktime.
Check it out here: <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/" target="_newWindow">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/</a>
windowsmedia/player/flip4mac.mspx
Posted by steve19150 (3 comments )
WMP for Mac is junk
Posted by andyengle (74 comments )
Yes there is
It is called VLC.

iTunes
Posted by michael902 (4 comments )
Great plugin
that allows you to watch WMP video and audio within Quicktime.
windowsmedia/player/flip4mac.mspx
Posted by steve19150 (3 comments )
Typical Microsoft
Let's see, so MS gets a bunch of content providers to go exclusively with the Windows Media format, and now they are ditching support for the format on Macs. Sounds kind of like their usual MO. I think it's time to dump my PC and buy a new Intel based Mac.
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
You won't be disappointed
I love my Mac. It's crashed only two times in the four years I've owned it. Unlike windoze, I don't have to reinstall the operating system once a year (I've never reinstalled the OS, for that matter), don't worry about viruses, and it still runs like a charm after four years of near daily use. My windoze machine at work can't touch it. You might pay a little more, but unlike windoze, you actually get a quality product.
Posted by andyengle (74 comments )
Go ahead the water is fine
Go for it. People are way too married to this company (MS). Thier
products are almost second or third rate, their support is
ridiculous, and they make you pay for their lack of product quality
with either time or money. I gave up MS 18 months ago and have
enjoyed computing ever since. I miss nothing except the
headaches of virus attacked, re-intalling software, and
combersome licencing protection schemes.

I now wonder why I didn't do it years ago.
Posted by philpacker (50 comments )
I switched and never looked back
After 10 years of Windows and several PCs, I switched to a Mac, and it was the best computing decision I've made in my life. In fact, I had totally forgotten that using a computer ISN'T worrying about the next virus/spyware, patching the system, reinstalling XP twice a year and living in fear.

Like another poster said, my only regret is that I should have done it sooner.
Posted by Giuseppe S (2 comments )
Typical Microsoft
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
You won't be disappointed
Posted by andyengle (74 comments )
Go ahead the water is fine
Go for it. People are way too married to this company (MS). Thier
products are almost second or third rate, their support is
ridiculous, and they make you pay for their lack of product quality
with either time or money. I gave up MS 18 months ago and have
enjoyed computing ever since. I miss nothing except the
headaches of virus attacked, re-intalling software, and
combersome licencing protection schemes.

I now wonder why I didn't do it years ago.
Posted by philpacker (50 comments )
I switched and never looked back

Like another poster said, my only regret is that I should have done it sooner.
Posted by Giuseppe S (2 comments )
Headline missed the good news entirely
It seems like the headline (as usual) totally skipped over the
important part of the story and the commenters also seemed to
have missed it. There is an alternate already (MacWorld just
gave it high praise). And the story specifically does eventually
mention that Microsoft has arranged for the alternate to be
made available for free (currently it is shareware).
The alternate, as per the story, is Flip4Mac. So, since just
about everyone thought that the Microsoft software was crap (as
I did), Flip4Mac is supposed to be very good and works with
QuickTime and Safari as a plug-in. Sounds like we all win on
this one.
Posted by jhunk2001 (16 comments )
Video on MSNBC and other sites
Where this becomes a serious problem is when a site such as
MSNBC check to see which version of Windows Media Player you are
using before it allows you to see video. Flip4Mac may be a great
plug in (it is, I've been using it), but it won't give us access to
MSNBC's videos.
Posted by Flernk (8 comments )
Headline missed the good news entirely
It seems like the headline (as usual) totally skipped over the
important part of the story and the commenters also seemed to
have missed it. There is an alternate already (MacWorld just
gave it high praise). And the story specifically does eventually
mention that Microsoft has arranged for the alternate to be
made available for free (currently it is shareware).
The alternate, as per the story, is Flip4Mac. So, since just
about everyone thought that the Microsoft software was crap (as
I did), Flip4Mac is supposed to be very good and works with
QuickTime and Safari as a plug-in. Sounds like we all win on
this one.
Posted by jhunk2001 (16 comments )
Video on MSNBC and other sites
Where this becomes a serious problem is when a site such as
MSNBC check to see which version of Windows Media Player you are
using before it allows you to see video. Flip4Mac may be a great
plug in (it is, I've been using it), but it won't give us access to
MSNBC's videos.
Posted by Flernk (8 comments )