April 19, 2006 2:40 PM PDT

Mozilla users urged to upgrade

Users have been urged to upgrade to the latest versions of Mozilla's software to protect themselves from a series of critical security holes.

The U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team warned on Monday that earlier versions of Firefox, and other Mozilla software based on Firefox code, contain a clutch of vulnerabilities that expose users to attack.

The Mozilla Foundation released a new version of Firefox last week, version 1.5.0.2, which it said contained fixes for several security flaws.

According to security firm Secunia, there are a total of 21 flaws in the older versions of Firefox, such as Firefox 1.5, some of which it described as "highly critical."

US-CERT advises people who use Mozilla's e-mail software, Thunderbird, and the Internet application suite Seamonkey to also upgrade to the latest versions (Thunderbird 1.5 and Seamonkey 1.0.1). US-CERT warned that any other products based on older Mozilla components, particularly the Gecko rendering engine, may also be affected.

Firefox has traditionally been seen as being more secure than other Web browsers such as Microsoft's Internet Explorer. This is thought to be the first time that multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Firefox and the Mozilla suite.

Secunia warned that hackers could exploit the security holes to gain control of computer systems, conduct phishing attacks and bypass security restrictions.

One error that occurs in Firefox would allow arbitrary JavaScript code to be injected into Web pages as they load.

The vulnerabilities were discovered by Mozilla researchers, including Bernd Mielke, Alden D'Souza and Martijn Wargers, as well as by 3Com researchers working on the TippingPoint Zero Day Initiative.

This initiative encourages "responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities" to vendors, to give them time to put out patches before holes are disclosed to the public. TippingPoint started to disclose the holes to Mozilla from December last year.

Tom Espiner of ZDNet UK reported from London.

Mozilla Corp., TippingPoint Technologies, Firefox, vulnerability, researcher

Automatic Updates
It's a good thing that from Firefox 1.5 on we have automatic updates.
Posted by julianrodriguez (13 comments )
That's not new
Automatic Updates are not a new thing.
Internet Explorer has them since the release of Windows Millenium Edition.
Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates.
;)

And about browser flaws, I just have to say "nobody's perfect" ;)
Posted by okelococnet (2 comments )
Automatic Updates
It's a good thing that from Firefox 1.5 on we have automatic updates.
Posted by julianrodriguez (13 comments )
That's not new
Automatic Updates are not a new thing.
Internet Explorer has them since the release of Windows Millenium Edition.
Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates.
;)

And about browser flaws, I just have to say "nobody's perfect" ;)
Posted by okelococnet (2 comments )
Not so easy now is it?
Everyone is always so quick to hop on the MS bashing bandwagon, but as you can see, its just not so easy to make an application 100% secure now is it? When something is under the scrutiny of billons of people, even a browser made by The Almighty himself would still be exploited.
It seemed everyone was SOOO quick to talk about how great and secure firefox was back when it was released. Same with mozzilla, netscape, opera, etc. now look at them. Yet another browser thrown ontop of a pile-of-crap browsers.

IE is still the god of web browsing for end-users in Windows. If you cannot figure out how to use it securely and correctly then you should not be infront of a keyboard; Youre slowing down our bandwidth.
Posted by dahkness (26 comments )
Darkness
Your userid should be "darkness" as you seem to be in total darkness.

No one reasonable is claiming any software as 100% secure. Like I said in another post, it's about how many serious holes a software has and how quickly it's being patched. In that regard, Firefox has the upperhand compared to IE.

Besides, Firefox is lightyears ahead of IE in turn of customization and features. Anyone who makes the laughable claim that IE is the "god of web browsing" should not be in front of a keyboard; you're lowering the average IQ of the web population.
Posted by dysonl (151 comments )
Not A Strong Argument to Use IE over Firefox
I don't think Firefox users switched from IE because they felt it would be 100% secure. Instead, I think they switched because it is tested to be faster and more reliable than IE, as well as the open source community's involvement and approach to timely security fixes/updates/performance.
Posted by backgroundnoise (32 comments )
Sure it is.
People bash Microsoft because of personal feelings toward Microsoft. Just because Firefox isn't "100% secure" doesn't change the fact that a lot of people don't like Microsoft.

As far as IE being the "god of web browsing". Well, I suppose if you believe that then that's your right. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way you do. As for me, I feel like IE6 is a junk browsers. IE7.x shows more promise, but then again so does Opera. I say use what you like.

My only real complaint is that I can build a web page that works fine in Firefox and Opera, but always renders like crap in IE. Fix it for IE and it lessens the effect in Firefox and Opera. My only other real complaint is websites designed to only work in IE. In my opinion those who develop IE only pages are hacks developers or they work for stupid people (since I'm sure most of them do as they are told).

My opinion: IE is crap. Firefox and Opera rock. Remember though that's just my opinion.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Dee Dee Dee
IE has 10,000 flaws to every FF flaw.

No software is perfect, but IE is as far as you can get from perfect.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
not for profit vs, for profit
Ok lets put it this way, your web browser is being paid for by every user. It comes with the operating system over 90 percent of all computers users are provided with. How can you compare that to a web browser that was picked up out of the grave and was brought back from the dead, and is now the most inovative fastest growing browser on the net, is contantly being updated and is coming out constantly with new inovative features. I don't think we can say that about IE that MS left for dead, because they won the browser war that was hardly a fair fight to begin with.
Posted by cranbers (12 comments )
not for profit vs, for profit
Ok lets put it this way, your web browser is being paid for by every user. It comes with the operating system over 90 percent of all computers users are provided with. How can you compare that to a web browser that was picked up out of the grave and was brought back from the dead, and is now the most innovative fastest growing browser on the net, is constantly being updated and is coming out constantly with new innovative features. I don't think we can say that about IE that MS left for dead, because they won the browser war that was hardly a fair fight to begin with. Let's also not forget to mention the developers for IE and Windows most likely make over 6 figures a year. Now does it sound like they are doing their job? I think not. So let's just put it that way.
Posted by cranbers (12 comments )
Not so easy now is it?

Posted by dahkness (26 comments )
Darkness
Your userid should be "darkness" as you seem to be in total darkness.

Posted by dysonl (151 comments )
Not A Strong Argument to Use IE over Firefox
Posted by backgroundnoise (32 comments )
Sure it is.

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Dee Dee Dee
IE has 10,000 flaws to every FF flaw.

No software is perfect, but IE is as far as you can get from perfect.
Posted by Bill Dautrive (1179 comments )
not for profit vs, for profit
Posted by cranbers (12 comments )
not for profit vs, for profit
Posted by cranbers (12 comments )
Cannot trust IE or Firefox
I was using firefox because IE had so many holes. Now firefox seems to have same problems!
Posted by Tanjore (322 comments )
RE
You're not going to find any useful software devoid of flaws.
Posted by unknown unknown (1951 comments )
trust who ?
months (sometimes years) with known, admitted to, flaws in IE, active exploits

Firefox patches some flaws, then publish what they patched...

a 500k patch in Firefox fixes 20 flaws....

how many hundred megs of patches have been put into IE ?

nuff said
Posted by dillergaff (8 comments )
Check out Oxygen browser - free of security Holes
Check out Oxygen browser by NetDIVE, it is free of security Holes that plague IE or FireFox:
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.netdive.com/htms/products.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.netdive.com/htms/products.htm</a>

And it is Free, of cost &#38; advertising.
Also it is very fast because it does not have extras you don't need for web browsing, such as email, IM, etc., which BTW are one of the main reasons IE &#38; FF have so many security holes.

Cheers :)
Posted by Dean_Ansari (61 comments )
You're Simply Naive
It's not about which software doesn't have holes and which does; it's about which has fewer and how quickly holes are being patched.
Posted by dysonl (151 comments )
You're Simply Naive
Posted by dysonl (151 comments )
Cannot trust IE or Firefox
Posted by Tanjore (322 comments )
RE
You're not going to find any useful software devoid of flaws.
Posted by unknown unknown (1951 comments )
trust who ?
months (sometimes years) with known, admitted to, flaws in IE, active exploits

Firefox patches some flaws, then publish what they patched...

a 500k patch in Firefox fixes 20 flaws....

how many hundred megs of patches have been put into IE ?

nuff said
Posted by dillergaff (8 comments )
Check out Oxygen browser - free of security Holes

And it is Free, of cost &#38; advertising.

Cheers :)
Posted by Dean_Ansari (61 comments )
You're Simply Naive
Posted by dysonl (151 comments )
You're Simply Naive
Posted by dysonl (151 comments )
FF is just fine.
I will continue to use FF given that the Moz Foundation does seem to address security issues quicker than MS and I like the ability to tweak with addons that are not spamware toolbars.

I'm not married to FF but until I hear that it is critically worse than IE I'll stick with it.
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
FF Faster, Better, More Advanced
Security issues aside, Firefox makes Internet Explorer look really backwards.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
FF is just fine.

Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
FF Faster, Better, More Advanced
Security issues aside, Firefox makes Internet Explorer look really backwards.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Check out Oxygen web browser - for security free browsing

And it is Free, of cost &#38; advertising.

Cheers :)

P.S., Sorry if this message appears Twice. Not sure the system took it 1st time.
Posted by Dean_Ansari (61 comments )
Anakooks at work
Another Anakook advert...ah well...

Any FireFox user (which I assume would be the majority of people reading this story) already know about the alternatives out there since they sought this one out in the first place.

Please stop advertising for Anakooky...its unpleasant.
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Thank you for oxygen, it really saved my life
Thank you so much for letting us know of Oxygen web browser. And thank you for giving it to the Internet for free. Because otherwise I would not have tried it and found out what a great browser it is. You see I have been having literally a night mare experience with my IE &#38; FireFox. 1st it was my IE that was wrecked by Viruses.
I tried all Spyware &#38; Virus removes, spent days on this and nothing. 2 minutes after launching IE the Spyware &#38; Viruses were back.
I even spent like $300 with geeksoncall who came to my house to fix the problem, but nothing, just a day gone and $300 gone :(

So i was at the end of my wits until i read about Oxgen and downloaded it. Now for the 1st time in months I can surf the web without having my PC attacked by pop up ads and other
strange problems that were really preventing me from accessing the web and getting my work done.
You wont believe how grateful I am to you for this free browser.
Posted by kathy_torez (26 comments )
Check out Oxygen web browser - for security free browsing

And it is Free, of cost &#38; advertising.

Cheers :)

Posted by Dean_Ansari (61 comments )
Anakooks at work
Another Anakook advert...ah well...

Please stop advertising for Anakooky...its unpleasant.
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Thank you for oxygen, it really saved my life

You wont believe how grateful I am to you for this free browser.
Posted by kathy_torez (26 comments )
Apples and Oranges of Open/Closed Source
Firefox = open-source transparency, more bugs discovered and reported.
IE = security through obscurity, more bugs hidden.

Firefox's transparency will ultimately create a far superior product, but not without a whole bunch of yellow journalism along the way. Apparently "Firefox crushing more bugs" isn't a sexy headline.
Wow! A Non-Microsoft browser security issue
C|Net usually does the 'ol copy/paste of titles like "Microsoft IE security issues disclosed". How many times since the last non-Microsoft browser? 20, 30 times perhaps? Yeah, nothing is perfect. But keep the perspective true.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Wow! A Non-Microsoft browser security issue
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Wow! A Non-Microsoft browser security issue
CNet usually does the 'ol copy/paste of titles like "Microsoft IE security issues disclosed". How many times since the last non-Microsoft browser? 20, 30 times perhaps? Yeah, nothing is perfect. But keep the perspective true.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Wow! A Non-Microsoft browser security issue
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
what's the point?
Firefox has automatic updates and so does windows. When such flaws are found, a fix is issued and is often downloaded and installed automatically. My copy of firefox updated itself so fast, I didn't even have a chance to find out why it updated. Now I know, but it updated itself a week ago and now is when I hear about why it updated?
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
what's the point?
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
Not only that...
Not only that, but you can continue to use the same browser once you migrate to the Macintosh. =)
Posted by booboo1243 (328 comments )
You Mean the PC that Runs WinXP?
Do you mean that piece of hardware that will allow me to run WinXP? :)
Posted by backgroundnoise (32 comments )
You mean the one
that just plugged its own java problems?

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://news.cbsi.com/Apple+issues+Java+security+update/2100-1002_3-6062766.html?tag=nefd.top" target="_newWindow">http://news.cbsi.com/Apple+issues+Java+security+update/2100-1002_3-6062766.html?tag=nefd.top</a>
Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Not only that...
Posted by booboo1243 (328 comments )
You Mean the PC that Runs WinXP?
Do you mean that piece of hardware that will allow me to run WinXP? :)
Posted by backgroundnoise (32 comments )
You mean the one
that just plugged its own java problems?

Posted by KsprayDad (375 comments )
Autiomatic updates don't work well
Now FF tells me that it downloaded a new version and that I should click to install or postpone. So I postpone (and so did my kids on their PCs). Now when FF restarts it tries to install the new version - and of course it fails because it has no permisions! (why do they think I would surf the web from an admin account, or let my kids use one?) So it says I need admin rights to do it, but doesn't tell me where it put the download so I can activate it with sdmin rights (just putting the installer in the downloads manager would be sufficient because then I can open the folder and activate the installer with an admin password. But then it's another vulnerability. Anyone can put an alert in a website saying "here is your security update, run this installer using admin rights" and install whatever they want on my machine if I have no way to verify the source of the installer!).
Posted by hadaso (468 comments )
Autiomatic updates don't work well
Posted by hadaso (468 comments )
Looks like its time to switch to IE!
Slowly but surely it's becoming evident now that millions are using FF and hackers are starting to examine it that FF is no more secure than IE. I'll stick to IE, thank you very much.
You're clueless.
&lt;eom&gt;
Posted by anarchyreigns (299 comments )
Looks like its time to switch to IE!
You're clueless.
&lt;eom&gt;
Posted by anarchyreigns (299 comments )
Huh?
Hackers already crack things before you can shake a stick at
'em.

Firefox, Safari, iCab, IE 6/7, Netscape, Opera . . .

All can be cracked. The best bet is find a way to secure yourself
on whatever PC or Mac you use the best you can.

For instance, I'd love to upgrade my Mozilla 1.2.1 on my old-ass
laptop Mac, but since there isn't a way to do it, I'll continue
using it because it's the most secure I can get on the particular
computer.

Same goes for my older-ass Color Classic Mac, which can only
use either IE 4 or iCab 2.9.x, which neither is really secure, but
secure enough.

On my newer stuff, I download Betas of browers to see which is
good and meets my security needs.

I think Mozilla's advice is good. Keep upgrading. Regardless is
it's automatic or not.
Posted by fakespam (239 comments )
Huh?
Hackers already crack things before you can shake a stick at
'em.

Firefox, Safari, iCab, IE 6/7, Netscape, Opera . . .

All can be cracked. The best bet is find a way to secure yourself
on whatever PC or Mac you use the best you can.

For instance, I'd love to upgrade my Mozilla 1.2.1 on my old-ass
laptop Mac, but since there isn't a way to do it, I'll continue
using it because it's the most secure I can get on the particular
computer.

Same goes for my older-ass Color Classic Mac, which can only
use either IE 4 or iCab 2.9.x, which neither is really secure, but
secure enough.

On my newer stuff, I download Betas of browers to see which is
good and meets my security needs.

I think Mozilla's advice is good. Keep upgrading. Regardless is
it's automatic or not.
Posted by fakespam (239 comments )