April 9, 2007 12:31 PM PDT

Microsoft to push fix for patch trouble

Microsoft on Tuesday plans to push out a fix to repair problems caused by last week's emergency cursor flaw patch.

The fix will be delivered as a "high priority" update alongside Microsoft's regular security updates, Christopher Budd, a Microsoft security staffer wrote on a corporate blog on Friday.

Microsoft has identified three additional applications that conflict with last week's "critical" MS07-017 security update. Originally the company listed only the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel as software that would not function and cause error messages to appear. CD-Tag, ElsterFormular and TUGZip have been added to that list.

"While the impact of these issues is clearly not widespread, it is affecting some of our customers," Budd wrote. For example, in Germany the issue with ElsterFormular is causing headaches because companies use it to file their taxes, according to the Elster Web site.

Microsoft broke with its monthly patch cycle to repair a bug in the way Windows handles animated cursors. Cybercrooks had been using the hole to attack Windows PCs. Microsoft knew about conflicts with Realtek's audio software before releasing the fix and published a support article with the security bulletin.

Microsoft's Automatic Updates, the Windows feature that automatically downloads and installs fixes, will install the fix only on PCs that run conflicting applications, Budd wrote. The Windows Update and Microsoft Update Web sites will also offer it only if conflicting software is found on a PC, he wrote.

For organizations, Microsoft will make the fix available through its Windows Server Update Services and Software Update Services patch installation tools, though with a possible delay until later next week, Budd wrote. The fix is already available for download from Microsoft's Web site.

Microsoft on Tuesday also plans to release five security bulletins, four of which will address Windows flaws. The bulletins, part of Microsoft's monthly patch cycle, will provide fixes for an undisclosed number of security vulnerabilities.

fix, Microsoft Corp., security, Microsoft Windows, PC

I'll try to cover the most likely threads...
Get a Mac
Microsoft(M$, Microsux, etc) sucks
Apple Sucks
Windows(winblows, Windoze, etc) sucks
Marketshare
IIS vs. Apache
Cost comparisons of PCs to Macs
Random posts on Captain Caveman
Posted by Charleston Charge (362 comments )
:-D
Funny one. You are right about that. That's all I read and from the same repeated aliases.
Posted by dudegadget (14 comments )
You forgot
Should be using Linux

Linux Sux

Linux is a Unix Ripoff

Bill Gates is going to give everyone $1000,000 just pass this email on to everyone in your address book.
Posted by ajbright (447 comments )
What? No Linux?
Sorry, you missed that one.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Patch, patch the patch, patch the patches patch.
It is the way of Microsoft.
Posted by Microsoft_Facts (109 comments )
Can you find "MS Win" ?
patch patch patch patch bandaid patch patch patch
patch ducttape patch patch patch patch patch patc
bailing wire patch patch patch rubberband patch p
patch patch patch patch patch patch string patch
file patch patch patch hacksaw patch patch patch
patch ms win patch patch patch patch patch gauss patch patch patch patch glue patch patch patch pa
patch patch patch cement patch patch patch patch.

Sorry, I just could not resist. I believe this says it all. In truth I do like Windows I feel I have a right to punch my favorite supplier for a job under done.
Posted by Ted Miller (305 comments )
I couldn't find MS Win...
But I did find MS Lose!!! (* GRIN *)

FWIW
Posted by wbenton (522 comments )
Same old tune over and over...
{Sung to the tune of Old McDonald had a farm}.

Old McMicrosoft had a flaw... E-I-E-I-O.
And for that flaw they made a patch... E-I-E-I-O.
And with that patch they made a flaw... E-I-E-I-O.

With a patch patch here and a patch patch there... here a patch... there a patch... everywhere a patch patch.

Old McMicrosoft had a flaw... E-I-E-I-O.

(* CHUCKLE *)

Walt
Posted by wbenton (522 comments )
dont know anyone that feeble to have bought vista
Oh no hold on thats not true,... one is so stubborn he insists it is all the other vendors that have poor drivers, the other has a dual boot and vista stays dormant.

Best security tip: live it in the shrink wrap.
LOL
Posted by Dragon Forge (96 comments )
umm... err... uh... well...
I did (Hanging head in total shame) and I paid dearly for it. I bought a HP with Vista on it because I needed to know and understand the operating system. Its a part of my job. I will complain about the Areo and Basic GUI this time. They really are not as good as they are Hyped up to be. The colors are so light where they should be dark, so you could see where to put text in and scroll bars are difficult to see also. Navigation is also a real headache also locating documents can be a challenge and where are my pictures that should have been in the documents folder and by the way, why is the folder called documents and not MY documents? Is this so someone can legaly steal all the things I write???

People in a word: DON'T
Posted by Ted Miller (305 comments )