July 26, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

Microsoft tags IE 7 'high priority' update

Microsoft plans to automatically push Internet Explorer 7 to Windows XP users when the browser update is ready later this year.

IE 7 will be delivered in the fourth quarter as a "high priority" update via Automatic Updates in Windows XP, Gary Schare, Microsoft's director of IE product management, said in an interview Tuesday. Automatic Updates is a Windows feature typically used for security updates, but Microsoft has also used it to push its antipiracy tool WGA Notifications.

"The justification, of course, is the significant security enhancements in IE 7," Schare said. Microsoft recommends that all Windows users install the new browser when it ships, he added.

IE 7 installation

IE 7 will be the first major update to Microsoft's ubiquitous Web browser in five years. Security was the No. 1 investment for the update, Microsoft has said. Critics have likened predecessor IE 6 to "Swiss cheese" because of the many security vulnerabilities in it. A third and final beta of IE 7 was released late last month.

Although IE 7 will be pushed out over Automatic Updates, people will be able to choose whether they want to install it or not, Schare said. Automatic Updates will first notify people when IE 7 is ready to install and then show a welcome screen that presents key features and the choices to install, not install or postpone installation.

Additionally, Microsoft on Wednesday plans to make available a special tool to block automatic delivery of the new browser version, Schare said. The tool is meant for business users who might not be ready for an IE update. Microsoft learned a lesson about this when it pushed out Service Pack 2 for Windows XP via the update function.

"Many enterprises out there have some users rely on Automatic Updates," Schare said. "Those typically want to have tighter management of any software that is going to do more than just patch a security vulnerability."

The free Internet Explorer 7 Blocker Toolkit will not expire and includes a template for use with Microsoft systems management software. It will be available from Microsoft's Download Center Web site, Schare said. "We're really trying to get the world ready for a major new browser release," he said.

Automatic Update, Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, priority, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Corp.

/flame on (eom)
eom
Posted by Bob Brinkman (556 comments )
Answer to the problem
Here is an article that details the solution to the problem:

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/10/ie-7-breaks-outlook-hotmail.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/10/ie-7-breaks-outlook-hotmail.html</a>
Posted by intelliadmin (9 comments )
Oh Great
Now we have to install a block kit to protect us from Microsoft
Updates. All our computers run Mozilla. We have IE locked on high
security, no cookies, and pointed to a non-existant proxy.

How about a kit to totally remove IE? THAT would be something of
real value.
Posted by rcrusoe (1305 comments )
Anythign but IE
I have to say I use IE at work but Firfox @ home. Why hassle with IE at all. This Ram hog is hurting peoples internet experience, Default Apps usually are not that great even with Apples safari
Posted by jaystring (12 comments )
Mozilla is the one that sucks
And it has since it was Netscape.
Posted by demner (62 comments )
memory hog
Firefox calling IE a memory hog? Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?
Posted by jdmccol (5 comments )
IE7 isn't a RAM hog or a hassle.
I have both IE7 Beta 3 and Firefox 1.5.0.4 installed right now and in my experience Firefox uses much more RAM than IE7 ever does. For me, FF uses between 40 and 89 MB of memory. IE7 uses between 25 and 32.

I agree that IE6 is a hassle and should not be used, but IE7 is a very good browser, on par with Firefox.

P.S. jaystring, do you even have IE7?
Posted by rrrperson (8 comments )
Untrue
I use Firefox too. I moved from IE as well, but it is not correct to call IE a ram hog in comparison to Firefox.

Firefox can and will use massive amounts of memory and start to hog up your CPU, especially if a flash file is playing. These two things are much less noticable in IE, especially IE7.
Posted by flimflambeta (6 comments )
IE7 vs. Firefox
Actually IE7 uses less memory than Firefox.
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
No IE7 for me
Downloaded IE7 beta ... didn't work ... couldn't back out (IE6 unusable) ... reinstalled IE7 ... javascript errors on start page ... javascript errors on search engine assignment ... broke MSN games ... broke toolbar assignment (select Google to get Developer toolbar) ... MS forums are worthless ... how can you ship code with javascript errors on the start page? how can you ship code that breaks your captive money-making games site? ... IE7 has driven me to use Firefox ... wonder whether Mozilla (Mole-zilla!) is present in the IE7 development team. Can't think of a good excuse for IE7.
Posted by softshell (3 comments )
Beta?
Well thats what you get for installing a beta, now I am not saying that final release software is at times any less buggy, but most of the time beta software is much like vegas it's a gamble.
Posted by pmfjoe (196 comments )
Its Beta..
ITS IN BETA!!! What did you expect, it to work without any errors?

You shouldn't of downloaded it on a working functional computer, that is your ignorance..
Posted by aSiriusTHoTH (176 comments )
Uninstalling IE 7 Beta
I called by computer techs at Winbook. This real nice guy said just uninstall it with add/remove programs. He assured me that IE 6 was still there under the IE 7. Sure enough after a reboot, Voila I had my IE 6 back and none of my sites were any longer blocked. Do this when you're not online using the IE7. 6 took a couple of minutes to totally kick in.
Posted by pecabo1338 (1 comment )
Good Idea!
Dumping bad, old, insecure, IE6 _should_ be a high priority.

I use Firefox, but we need to keep in mind that most people use IE.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
As a web developer, I like this
This means a majority of people will be running a more standards compliant browser. To be thats progress, I'd be upset if that did not push this out automatically
Posted by Tyrax (10 comments )
IE 7 Not Standards Compliant
Unfortunately, IE 7 is NOT standards compliant. What makes you think it is? They care little for CSS standards, af far as I can tell.
Posted by deko (7 comments )
Closer, anyway!
Well, closer (standards) anyway.

The designers here are happy about the rollout as IE7 has fixed some CSS annoyances and issues, but we are very concerned with older websites that currently work in IE6 will break in IE7 (due to the workarounds for IE6).

Oh well, come what may. I guess the sooner IE7 comes out and the old IEs are behind us, the sooner we'll be pulling out our hair (less). Of course, wouldn't surprise me if IE7 introduces some new quirks that make you say the tired phrase of webdesigners "Why is IE doing that?" :)
Posted by MondayNgt (4 comments )
So IE is "High Priority" while .Net is not?
Great job! Replace the old buggy app with a new one with (we all hope) fewer bugs. But this does bring up another point.

This is exactly what they should be doing with the .Net frameworks but don't.

Instead, they make developers include an additional 25+ MB of .Net installs to your apps - bloating the installs and making distribution slower and more difficult.

MS says that the .Net framework is the future of Windows programming.

As far as that goes, why don't all MS Apps update themselves automatically? Thousands of freeware apps do it everyday - why doesn't MS?
Posted by Jim Hubbard (326 comments )
Well -
"[i]So, why aren't the .Net frameworks (all 4 of them) marked as "High Priority" and downloaded automatically? [/i]"

Two words: Dial Up.

"[i]As far as that goes, why don't all MS Apps update themselves automatically?[/i]"

Because of a little thing that still exists (in spite of denials) called ".dll Hell".
Posted by Penguinisto (5042 comments )
so if you can prove...
So if you can show that firefox has a lot of security fixes beyond IE7, can we get it listed as a high-priority update and list the added benefits it provides too?
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
so if you can show...
So if you can show that firefox has a lot of security fixes beyond IE6, can we get it listed as a high-priority update and list the added benefits it provides too?
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Not surprising
Microsoft knows its customers are fed up with IE6, but many of them don't know about alternatives. So, they push this medicore (I'm not saying it isn't better than IE6 -- it is) upgrade out to customers, hoping they won't try other browsers.
Posted by chris_d (195 comments )
IE 7 breaks Outlook Express with Hotmail
If you have an older Hotmail account you may know that you can retreive email from your Hotmail account using Outook Express. This is a great feature for those of us who have been using Hotmail for a while - we never have to log in online. (Note: newer Hotmail accounts are not allowed to be used with OE - MS started disallowing this about a year ago).

I have 4 different Hotmail accounts configured in OE and it works great. But after installing IE 7, this functionality is lost. If you have Outlook Express, and use it to retreive email from a Hotmail account, try installing IE 7 Beta - you will find that you can no longer retreive email from your Hotmail account. This is why I am sticking with IE 6 and will disable automatic updates and NEVER upgrade to IE 7 - until they fix it so I can still get my Hotmail with Outlook Express!
Posted by deko (7 comments )
Probably intentional
How will they make their advertising dollars if you are bypassing hotmail.com adds with OE? They had to break it.
Posted by nmcphers (261 comments )
Probably...
....because for the new accounts, this is a pay-for feature, is it not?
Posted by djcaseley (85 comments )
patch required
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=904942" target="_newWindow">http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=904942</a>

This patch fixed it.

But I use OE mainly as a newsreader.
Posted by deko (7 comments )
Use their Thunderbird mail client
There are extensions that let you use Hotmail, Yahoo, and others
free webmail services.
Posted by rcrusoe (1305 comments )
'You'll take our bloated browser and you'll like it!"
Man - I'm glad I don't have to use Windows anymore... if I ever get sick of Firefox, I can ditch it and go w/ Opera. If I ever get sick of Opera, I can ditch that and go with Konquerer (or just use it's OSX port, Safari). Or, I could use links, lynx, Mozilla, or whatever-the-heck-I-want.

Either way, I get to choose, and not the OS maker Enjoy your enforced updates, suckers...
Posted by Penguinisto (5042 comments )
Yeah, sure, Lynx is better
You have a political bias, nothing to do with the quality of the software. Most Linux morons are like this... get a life.
Posted by deko (7 comments )
dumb...
Nearly all OSs you get to use. I use iMac, Windows, linux, and unix computers daily. I can easilly install 4+ different browsers on each system.. get off your "low" horse...
Posted by aSiriusTHoTH (176 comments )
Suckers?
Depends on your opoint of view.

PC: Stuck with Windoze (rather be using Amiga OS)

Mac: Stuck with over priced hardware, and over priced repairs.

I know several people who switched from Mac to PC just because their iMac broke down, and it was so expensive to repair they went and bought a whole PC for less than the repair cost of their Mac.

Talk about suckers....

Merg
Posted by Mergatroid Mania (8395 comments )
I welcome the upgrade to IE 6, BUT
my banks and credit card companies WON'T..

My bank and credit card companies will not allow me ACCESS to their websites without a FINAL browser version.

No beta or test version of a browser like
MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 7 (test or beta)
is what I'm talking about.

I would like to accept the #7, but the # 6 has all the automatic upgardes, and I'm happy with that.

As a matter of fact, I have all the MICROSOFT UPGRADES, and I'm still happy.

so my IE will remain the same thank you.

If some of you think that I could install the IE7 beta, and still use the IE6, and have them both work separately, you have no pennies in your pocket.

Do you have a solution, like do a partition, and keep one on one drive, and the test on another, etc., etc..

Now you have no pennies in your bank account, because you can't get there on the internet.

anyway, I'm just joshing you all.. all level headed solutions accepted. thanks
Posted by graupma (19 comments )
Ok, take a deep breath.
Microsoft is not putting the beta of IE7 as a critical update, that would be very irresponsible and really tick off the cororate users.

But they will be putting the final release as a critical update. So dont worry your bank will support the final release.
Posted by pmfjoe (196 comments )
They must be desparate
If MS have to push the new browser that they have so much faith in they must be getting desparate.
Binding IE6 to Windows was bad enough but calling IE7 a 'critical update'is a bit to far.
If it is so good why can't users just download it for themselves and see if they like it.
Mozilla really got them going on this one!

Oh and, Camino forever!
Posted by grandmasterdibbler (78 comments )
use some reasoning....
let's see... if IE7 downloads as automatic download... there could be two scenarios

First scenario is that you use Firefox/Opera/Netscape. In this case, you can continue using your preferred browser. It's not that installing IE7 will cripple other browsers. Why even care about it?

Second scenario is that you use IE6 (that's what ~85% people use). In this case, you get a better browser with IE7 install.

For a browser whose market share is more than four times the market share of all other browsers combined, I don't think they need to be desperate.
Posted by ggupta7 (137 comments )
Just switch to Firefox or Opera NOW!
And don't waste Microsoft's bandwidth downloading IE 6.5.....
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
I did actually
I needed a second browser on my linux box, I already have Firefox, so I downloaded Opera, and I must say that apart from a few issues, Opera is great!
Posted by tutenstein (13 comments )
Did a while back, but...
I've been using Firefox since v.1.0. But I'm about to dump it for IE. Since Feb, every time it updates - I have problems. Most of the time the bookmarks go away, and up until this last time - I've been able to get them back. But it's just wasting too much of my time to have to fix the issues every few weeks. Maybe I'll try it again when they get all the bugs worked out.
Posted by Pascal33 (1 comment )
so it's OK if Firefox does the same thing?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have seen Firefox browser push people to update to newer versions. I don't know how often it checks for updates (perhaps every time it starts), but if a new version is available, it downloads the version without asking me and then prompts me whether I want to install it.

All this is no different than IE7. They both download as updates and both give an option not to install.

And it's not just the browser. Yahoo messenger downloads newer versions automatically. iTunes does the same. What's the big deal here? If it gives better functionality and more security, why not do it?
Posted by ggupta7 (137 comments )
and Opera too!
forgot to add that to the list
Posted by ggupta7 (137 comments )
Firefox does not do the same thing
Firefox is not part of your operating system, and does not have itself updated when you select auto windows update.

Simple: IE part of Windoze, Firefox NOT part of Windoze.

Therefore Firefox does not "Do the same thing"

Merg
Posted by Mergatroid Mania (8395 comments )
Majority doesn't mean standard
The fact that 90% of the market uses it doesn't make it right. At one time, most people probably thought the world was flat but that didn't make it true.

IE does have big faults when it comes to standards, addings silly quirks to things coded correctly (like three pixel margin bugs, etc). So fustrating when a properly-coded website works perfectly in all other browsers tested, then you turn to IE and groan. Web designers have joked that if you're not asking yourself "Why is IE doing that?" on a somewhat-frequent basis, you aren't really a web designer ;)

The designers here tested the IE 7 beta a while ago and while it isn't perfect, it's a step in the right direction as it didn't trip up on a site that looked fine in Firefox/Safari (and completely broke in IE 6).
Posted by MondayNgt (4 comments )
Sorry, wrong reply
This is intended as a reply to "Let me get this straight" under the "As a Web Developer, I Like This" thread.
Posted by MondayNgt (4 comments )
Just remember kids...
To install IE7, you have to prove that you have a legal copy of windows. This is the reason why they want to push the update to customers.

If you bought you copy or it came with your name brand machine, you don't have anything to worry about.

If your job cut corners and installed one copy of xp all over the place or your custom made pc was loaded with a pirated copy of windows, then you'll have problems.

In the end, you still have choice. You can use Firefox or Opera. Both are free, although it's Firefox that's the memory hog, and not IE7. Actually, if you want to get technical, Opera uses the least amount of memory, runs faster, and is now a free download.

So, when it comes to browsers, pick one, keep it updated and always use a firewall.
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
Bug fixes not virus like autoupdates says geo http://www.globalboiling.com
I just think all these autoupdates are no more than viruses and privacy invasions disguised as features enhancements. Imagine if GM were allowed to "fix" a recall by exchanging parts with those that were less functional and mandated calling GM to say where you were driving everyday.

Legislation is needed to demand that bug fixes are released as such as mandated by most consumer contract law (demanding you get what you pay for). If you paid for a functional reasonably safe browser you shouldn't have to accept new "upgrades" to get what you paid for originally.
They should maintain the EXACT same feature set and release bug fixes for that feature set to make it work properly.

Geopilot
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.globalboiling.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.globalboiling.com</a>
because the warming already happened
Posted by nadapapa (3 comments )
Uh...
Microsoft is part of the consortium that sets the web standards. That being said, they choose to ignore the standards they themselves have a hand in creating. As for "deciding that the standards set forth by the browser that has over 90% of the browser market is either inadequate or unreasonable", the first CSS, DOM and HTML standards used IE as a base, because at that time IE's way of doing things was better than Netscape's. The problem came when Microsoft chose to shut down IE development for 6 years, assuming the Internet would shut down with them. These standards people have been screaming about? CSS2 was finished in 1998. DOM2 in 1999 or so. HTML4 in 1996, and XHTML around 2000. There have been major version releases of IE since then, but none of them have upgrades in this direction.
Posted by DarkPhoenixFF4 (206 comments )
Uh...
One more time with feeling. W3C is not an international standards body. It only makes recommendations.
Posted by roger.d.miller (41 comments )
MS ADMITS IE 6 is a SECURITY DISASTER
By making IE 7 "HIGH PRIORITY" and FORCING AN UPDATE" via Automatic Updates, Microsoft has admitted that IE 6 is a security disaster of the worst kind.

Get Opera:
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.opera.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.opera.com</a>

Get Firefox:
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/" target="_newWindow">http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/</a>

If you are in a corporate environment and know how INSECURE Internet Explorer is, what the hell are you waiting for?? Another Breach??

You must like putting your boses and company at risk and creating more work for yourselves. What's wrong with you?

If you are a home user - well, it's your money and your time - good luck!
Posted by randombits (16 comments )
like Firefox admits every month
If I remember, 1.5.0.4 had security flaws, and 1.5.0.3 had some, even 1.5.0.2 had some, and yes, 1.5.0.1 had some. You can find all about these flaws right here on CNET. I can go on and on, but the list is too long. So by your definition, all those versions were SECURITY DISASTER.. weren't they?

And yes, you don't need to visit any website to install it... just let Windows update do the job
Posted by ggupta7 (137 comments )
VISTA OS DEMO CHOKES AT REDMOND ONE
Windows Vista Voice Recognition software demonstration in Redmond at Microsoft more like a "voice - wreck"

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ&#38;%20eurl=" target="_newWindow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Jp6PxsSQ&#38;%20eurl=</a>
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
Educating a Windrone Newbie
LOL... and very big sigh....

Do you understand the term "Unsupported Operating System"? Do you realize that Operating Systems using IE 6 hardly exist any longer because, well... they are NOT SUPPORTED!

Do you understand that MS is in the business of making money? Do you realize that they can only do this if they rebuild their OSes and force users to upgrade? Have you an inkling that Internet Explorer is so tied into an Operating System that the only way to protect the users from the security holes is to continue to issues Service Packs. You do know what a Service Pack is, don't you? It's an OPERATING SYSTEM UPGRADE!

The US government tried to tell Microsoft that it was a stupid thing to do but the brain dead clogs over there fought it with every dollar they had. So the only way to fully protect users is to update the OSes - which are NO LONGER SUPPORTED. Can you see the vicious cycle?

Here are some useful links for your edification - please study them:

"Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition Support ends on July 11, 2006"
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean18" target="_newWindow">http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean18</a>

"Windows NT Server 4.0 Life Cycle"
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/ntendlife.mspx?mfr=true" target="_newWindow">http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/ntendlife.mspx?mfr=true</a>

"Windows Life-Cycle Policy"
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx" target="_newWindow">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx</a>

"Fifty-six percent of companies still run Windows 2000 on some of their computers, and 19 percent use Windows NT 4.0, which was released in 1996"
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=107" target="_newWindow">http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=107</a>

"Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 98 (and Windows Me) on July 11th of this year. That means that any vulnerability discovered after this date will go unpatched. Essentially, you should assume that every Windows 9x system in your network will be compromised."
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://desktopchannel.everdream.com/blog_2006/05/start_preparing_now_for_window.php" target="_newWindow">http://desktopchannel.everdream.com/blog_2006/05/start_preparing_now_for_window.php</a>

"Analyst firms estimate that there are still between 50 million and 70 million computers running Windows 95, 98 or ME. Hardest hit by the cancellation of support will be home users and schools....."" ... ""Microsoft has not fixed every hole in Win9x""
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://news.cbsi.com/Microsoft+puts+end+to+Windows+98+support/2100-1016_3-6092653.html" target="_newWindow">http://news.cbsi.com/Microsoft+puts+end+to+Windows+98+support/2100-1016_3-6092653.html</a>

Wow, 50-70 million and we are ONLY talking about Win9x and ME. Hackers, Terrorist and every other tumor in society are probably the ONLY ones not complaining. They should be the ONLY ones NOT complaining.

Now... which version of the new OS would you recommend again?? Oh, yes - you said DO NOTHING... because Microsoft is your friend...

Why kill Win9x, ME, etc... when Vista is "just around the corner..". Because and I repeat - Microsoft is in the business of MAKING MONEY. So they want to force users to upgrade to XP NOW and then again to VISTA. You finally get it?? They couldn't wait another six months, NO... they really had to squeeze the last little bit of money out of XP now..

Now which version of Vista, you ask?

"Microsoft announced that Windows Vista will ship in six editions. All versions will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, except Windows Vista Starter which will only be available for 32-bit architectures."
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=74768&#38;cat_id=610" target="_newWindow">http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=74768&#38;cat_id=610</a>

1] Windows Vista Starter
2] Windows Vista Home Basic
3] Windows Vista Home Premium
4] Windows Vista Business
5] Windows Vista Enterprise
6] Windows Vista Ultimate""

Isn't that nice... More Duplicate Operating Systems, more money and another slew of forced upgrades a few years from now starting with Windows XP!!
Posted by randombits (16 comments )
hold on a second! Professor Doofus
You don't seem to understand English very well! Let me explain to you what I was trying to say!

When I wrote about Windows 98, I was trying to prove that Microsoft doesn't stop supporting the older versions (of OS or browser) as soon as the newer versions are released. When Windows ME was released, Microsoft didn't say "All people using Windows 98 will have to upgrade to Windows Me because we won't support Windows 98 any more" No! Microsoft didn't do that. MS supported Windows 98 for six more years. That was long enough for an outdated product which is now used on only 2% computers. Tell me, can you really blame GM, if it doesn't make the carburetor for your 1975 Chevy? In both cases, it's not worth the time and money to continue supporting an obsolete product. They have to put a stop somewhere. Well, who knows, tomorrow another whiny baby like you will come and demand support for Windows 3.1

I never said that "the only way to protect the users from the security holes is to continue to issues Service Packs". You can read my previous reply if you don't believe me.

As far as IE 6 is concerned, Microsoft has not stopped giving updates and security patches for it and will continue to do so for quite some time after IE 7 is released (just like MS gave patches for Win 98 for long time after Win XP was released). People who use older OS like Windows 98 and Windows ME (who can't upgrade to IE 7), can download Service Pack 1 for IE 6. Yes! it's a service pack, just for the browser, not for the whole OS. Search on Microsoft website and you will find it. Microsoft will continue to provide more updates for IE 6 till the time when number of people using this browser falls to a very low level.

By the way, it's funny to see how you contradict yourself. In the first paragraph you said "Operating Systems using IE 6 hardly exist any longer..." and later you said that "Analyst firms estimate that there are still between 50 million and 70 million computers running Windows 95, 98 or ME" Do you even know what you are trying to prove here? And on top of that, to support your theory, you are quoting blogs!

"they want to force users to upgrade to XP NOW and then again to VISTA" Seriously, that would be really stupid, if someone will upgrade to XP, just for five months! Even if people upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP, it will be supported for atleast 1-2 years after Vista is released. So people won't have to quickly upgrade from 98 to XP to Vista. don't you think so? Besides, a computer running Windows 98 which was bought five or six years ago, can't run Vista anyways.

"More Duplicate Operating Systems, more money and another slew of forced upgrades a few years from now"
Dude! all six versions of Vista you mentioned will be released at the same time. You can choose whichever you fits your needs. It's pretty much like Windows XP which had different versions (Home, Media Center Edition, Tablet PC edition, Professional and Professional 64 bit) for different type of users or how GM has whole range of models depending on your pocket!

"Microsoft is in the business of MAKING MONEY" yes, and so is almost every other company on the planet. Even Mozilla is a money making corporation. Since when making money became an evil thing? What about you? Do you work for free?
Posted by ggupta7 (137 comments )
Quit whining
If we could bottle all the energy spent complaining about how bad Microsoft is, and harness wasted effort condemning MS for being a "company that makes money" maybe we could...

...find a cure for cancer, invent a cheap renewable fuel source, or best of all, we could stop the boring, unceasing blah blah blah.
Posted by playhard1999 (1 comment )
IE 7 Nonsence
I already tried the IE7 and removed. No thanks!! Surely it still has to be in Beta so they can push their Vista.
Posted by KittyMe (1 comment )
look at this :P
Well here's a nice damper for IE7...look at these websites: <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.msie7.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.msie7.com</a> and <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.microsoftie7.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.microsoftie7.com</a> and <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.microsoftinternetexplorer7.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.microsoftinternetexplorer7.com</a> :P :D
Posted by moire (3 comments )