March 30, 2007 10:53 AM PDT

Microsoft starts testing Office 2008 for Mac

Related Stories

Office 2008 for Mac to come this year

January 9, 2007

Microsoft readies Mac Office update

April 5, 2004
Microsoft has started private testing of the next version of Office for the Macintosh, which is due out in the second half of the year.

Office 2008 for Mac, as the product is known, helps bring the desktop suite back into compatibility with two key technologies. First, the product is the first version of Office that runs natively on both Intel- and Power PC-based Macs. The new software also adds support for the XML file formats that Microsoft added to the Windows version of Office--Office 2007, which hit store shelves in January.

Microsoft did not say how many people are taking part in the private beta or whether it will have a public test version, but a representative said Friday that the company is still on track to have the final product out sometime in the second half of the year.

While the biggest changes in Office 2008 are the compatibility moves, Microsoft has detailed several new features. One is a program called My Day, which gives users quick access to calendar information without requiring them to first go into the Entourage e-mail program.

Also on tap are improved page layout controls in Word and new Excel templates, called ledger sheets, which allow users to handle tasks like producing invoices without having to create or understand the underlying formulas.

Microsoft has taken longer than its normal 18 to 24 months to come out with a new version of Office for the Mac. The current version, Office 2004 for Mac, debuted in April 2004.

Microsoft Office, Apple Macintosh, XML, Microsoft Corp., Intel

I just can't wait...
To download a copy of it!
Posted by SLOCableTech (5 comments )
Me Too!
Me too, of course I'll need to develop a brain tumor first or start taking hallucinogens.

Seriously, NeoOffice has pretty much eliminated the need for M$ Office as far as I'm concerned.

Apple should start bundling NeoOffice with the Mac and really stick it to Ballmer & Butthead.
Posted by felgercarbnaysay (49 comments )
Just so everybody's aware:
Neo Office is free, and it can read and write MS Office files.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15797/neooffice" target="_newWindow">http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15797/neooffice</a>
Posted by Macsaresafer (802 comments )
I thought the only alternative was Open Office. But it seems to be a big pain to install on mac.
Posted by yacahuma (530 comments )
Question
Even the office 2007 formats? MS still supports the old formats but has changed the formats for 2007. Just curious.
Posted by suyts (824 comments )
Microsoft is GREAT for keeping Apple alive
Thank God Microsoft has kept Apple alive as a company by investing in it and making colorful software for the simple minds of Apple users. Microsoft is so great. Without Microsoft keeping Apple alive, we wouldn't have anything to compare the greatness of Windows against.

Apple should put a big THANK YOU to Microsoft on it's home page and inside of it's OS Y or whatever it calls it's Unix OS.
Posted by iZune (58 comments )
At least
At least it keeps the trolls alive.
Posted by Lee in San Diego (608 comments )
crack head
stop smoking crack
Posted by rmiecznik (224 comments )
I am PC, I am Mac Ads
Yes, at least, Apple still consider the existence of Microsoft, by producting variety of "I am PC, I am MAC" advertisement.
Posted by Gunady (191 comments )
More troll postings from iZune
Microsoft wouldn't make Office for Mac if there wasn't a market for
it. Besides if you wanna think Microsoft is keeping Apple alive you
might be right, who else would MS have ripped off for Vista's look if
it wasn't for all the innovative ideas Apple created in Mac OS X. So
stop now with the 12 year old troll remarks..
Posted by imacpwr (456 comments )
office 2008
Don't really care, do not use Microsofts products on my Mac.
Cannot see the point as I changed to a Mac about 12 months ago
to specifically avoid the disaster that is Microsoft and their
products. Sooo glad I did, I finally have a computer that works
properly, straight out of the box as it says in the ads. And as a
bonus I can sit back and laugh at the disaster that is Windows
Vista. Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!
Posted by gavandtra (5 comments )
What office suite do you use
Can you do advanced analytics such as ANOVA and regression? Can your spreadsheet download sheets from the web after a login menu added to it? Can your email store and quickly scan through 4GB of email from 7 years? Can your presentation software embed Flash and so on?

I am not a big fan of MS Ofice but all my attempts to try OpenOffice's bloatware, or the online tools that are coming up, have just been utterly miserable. Email for instance. Euroda, Opera M2, and a bunch of others -- they lack one feature or the other, and none offers the handling of gigabytes of emails quite as reliably as Outlook. If they include Windows Desktop kind of search functionality right within Outlook, and the ability to edit the HTML that we creare in emails (as Outlook Express allows), I think it's a great software.
Posted by shanx24 (17 comments )
really
And what office product do you use, or does your work not involve an office type environment..lol..by the way if MS product are so bad why does apple feverishly try to produce software like boot camp etc to allow their users to use MS products?
Posted by ITprosupport (30 comments )
neo office uninstaller
Question: Does neo office include an uninstaller file?
Posted by mvokla2 (6 comments )
Uninstaller not needed
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php#uninstall" target="_newWindow">http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php#uninstall</a>

Unninstalling NeoOffice 2.1

To uninstall, just drag the NeoOffice application from the Finder
into the Mac OS X trash can.

Uninstalling NeoOffice should have no effect on any
OpenOffice.org installation that you may have as NeoOffice and
OpenOffice.org have completely separate configuration and user
files.

But on a more philosphical note, why uninstall? This is a good
opportunity for you to compare the two and decide which is
better for your work. I have Office 2004 and Neo on my
machine, I used Word and Excel for documents from the office
where I have to edit documents that PC users read, edit, and
print. I use Neo for my own documents, rosters for my soccer
team, etc.
Posted by softweyr (7 comments )