July 29, 2005 1:08 PM PDT

Microsoft sees Xbox 360 in driver's seat

REDMOND, Wash.--Although some have suggested that the upcoming PlayStation 3 might have a more powerful engine, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said he's happy with the Xbox 360.

"Our view is basically we've got a Ferrari, they've got a Ferrari," Gates said in a question-and-answer session at Thursday's meeting with financial analysts. "Our Ferrari is leaving the starting line substantially before their Ferrari is, and in most races that's a very nice thing."

Microsoft's Xbox 360 is due to go on sale this holiday season in the United States, Europe and Japan. Meanwhile, Sony's PlayStation 3, with its powerful Cell processor, is slated to arrive next spring.

Gates noted that the last time around Microsoft was beaten to the punch and said overall sales suffered as a result.

"We tried it the other way last time," Gates said.

Robbie Bach, the Microsoft senior vice president who heads up the Xbox, said he doesn't see Sony having a demonstrable advantage with its hardware.

"They're going to be a little faster in a few areas, we're going to be a little faster in a few areas," Bach said. "The net result from a hardware perspective is going to be kind of a toss-up."

A Sony representative was not immediately available for comment.

Bach said that Microsoft should also benefit from greater developer support this time around, saying the company's easy developer tools are its "secret sauce." Developers have expressed some concern about the escalating costs of developing console video games.

Bach said there are 160 games in development for the Xbox 360, with 25 to 40 titles expected to be released this year, including around 15 at launch.

The analysts got to see a demo of one of those titles in the works--"Project Gotham Racing 3," which is being published by Microsoft.

However, the analysts did not get to drive the console for themselves. The one Xbox 360 console on display was underneath a thick plastic display case, a disappointment to more than a few in the Wall Street crowd.

I have an XBOX but will wait for PS3...not XBOX 360
I have an XBOX but will wait for PS3...not XBOX 360. The Sony machine is twice as fast as the XBOX 360 and is backwards compatible with all PS2 games. Sony built a better Ferrari for sure. I would have bought the XBOX but it has only limited backwards compatibility. I feel that is a waste of my older game that we still like to play. So for our family it is bye-bye XBOX 360 and hello Sone PS3. We are more than happy to wait for the BETTER Sony machine.
Posted by Stan Johnson (322 comments )
XBOX 1.5 Sucks Anyway
Buying a PS3 is a smart choice :)
you're a moron, plain and simple
what you wrote: it made no sense, at all, not even a little. if you're choosing the PS3 because you feel the XBOX 360 won't have backward compatibility with your current xbox library, what sense does that make? Are you assuming the PS3 will play your xbox games? No? then what you're saying is it doesn't make any difference to you either way: right? neither system will play the games you own, so that won't affect your purchasing decision, right?

that is what you were saying, wasn't it? ... or do you not know what you were saying?
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
Backwards compatibility
So you think that the PS3 will do a better job of playing your current XBox titles than the XBox 360? Good luck with that!
Twice as fast?
There have been several reviews of the hardware contained in both systems. arstechnica.com has a good review for one. The conlclusion has been that the speed of the hardware is about the same for both systems. When it comes to real world games the XBOX 360 may even be faster. While the PS3 has some advantage in pure floating point performance the XBOX 360 has advantages which make up for this (such as EDRAM). The XBOX 360's unified shader architecture is also an advantage. Sony's claim of being twice as fast are not even remotely accurate.
have fun playing your old crappy games
who cares about old games?! might as well use them as frisbees.
it's all about the latest and greatest. some of those new xbox 360
titles look great.
Posted by mikefas (7 comments )
I have an XBOX but will wait for PS3...not XBOX 360
Posted by Stan Johnson (322 comments )
XBOX 1.5 Sucks Anyway
Buying a PS3 is a smart choice :)
you're a moron, plain and simple

Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
Backwards compatibility
Twice as fast?
have fun playing your old crappy games
who cares about old games?! might as well use them as frisbees.
it's all about the latest and greatest. some of those new xbox 360
titles look great.
Posted by mikefas (7 comments )
...But PlayStations Ferrari has a Turbo engine...
...So it WILL catch up.
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
...But PlayStations Ferrari has a Turbo engine...
...So it WILL catch up.
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Microsoft sees Xbox 360 in driver's seat
Microsoft opting for a standard DVD drive over HD-DVD or a Blu-Ray drive has Gates driving a Yugo!!!
That's Why XBOX 360 is Actually XBOX 1.5
Because the "new" machine just adds little horsepower and a new look, but nothing innovative here. XBOX 1.5 will lose big time :)
Microsoft sees Xbox 360 in driver's seat
That's Why XBOX 360 is Actually XBOX 1.5
PS3 for me
Yes, half my reason is because I'm a Anti MS weenie but the other half is the fact that I think overall PS has better titles. I also think that PS really puts some thought behind their consoles.

If anything I think MS realeasing the xbox early gives Sony the ability to up the hardware (if possible) and come out ahead.
Posted by Atari05 (45 comments )
Me Too
I have nothing for or against MS, but MS simply did a dumb move to jump into the game industry "just because." Now by releasing XBOX 1.5, MS really thinks it can outsell the much bigger PS empire? Keep dreaming :)
PS3 for me

Posted by Atari05 (45 comments )
Me Too
XBox 360 is really XBox 2
Bill Gates ought to remember when comparing the XBox360 with the PS3 that his "ferrari" is a whole generation BEHIND the PS3. The PS3 is the 3rd generation of Play Station, while the XBox 360 is only the 2nd generation of the XBox. I for one am not fooled, and will be buying the PS3.
Rubbish
What the? Just because Playstation was out 10 years ago doesn't mean that the Xbox 1 is equal to that. Put some thoughts into your posts before you type them.
XBOX 2 Just Sounds Lame
And I agree, it "sounds" like XBOX "2" is inferior than PS "3". But hey, why buy XBOX 1.5 when you can get tons of games on PS3? :)
f***ing moron!!
what kind of a fool would write something that stupid? what relavance does anything you just wrote have? none, nada, zip! here's a comparable moronic analogy for you: ford had the first mass production facility for a car, therefore: generations more efficient than anyone else... hmm... i dunno...
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
Wow! My apoligies to the marketing guys of AOL and Mozilla
All this time I thought that no one would be so <insert firm but un-offensive insult> to actually compare version numbers of competing products to determine what product was better. Thus I thought the trend of skipping version numbers was just plain stupid. Obviously I am wrong. Looks like it is time for my software to go from version 1.27 to 6.0!
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
XBox 360 is really XBox 2
Rubbish
XBOX 2 Just Sounds Lame
f***ing moron!!
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
Wow! My apoligies to the marketing guys of AOL and Mozilla
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
I'll be buying the one that has the best games.
I love the posts here.

"I won't buy Xbox 360 because it's M$ hardware."
"Sony have had 2 previous machines so they must be better."
"One machine can do "Function X" faster so I'll buy that one"

For Gods sake people what age are these posters.

Here's my criteria for what machine I'll be buying.

The one that has the best games will get my vote.

I'm not stupid enough to ignore Xbox because it's done by Microsoft. I'm not going to buy Xbox just because it's out first. I'll wait 6 months after both are released and see which one is the best price and which one has the best games. That's the criteria. I don't give a **** about Ferarris or which company their from. Grow up people.
finally someone with sense.
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
finally some common sense
I've read a few post lately and have come to the conclusion that many readers base their "opinions" on the most ridiculous factors.

If I were to read that a purchase decision was based on price, future proofness and upgradability, backwards compatibility, playability, technical support, community networking or online connectiveness, stability, robustness, innovation, versatility, developer support... and the list goes on, just use your imagination.

However, I'm glad to see that someone has a bit of unbiased common sense.

I will buy whatever console meets my needs, not based on some of the nonesense that I have read from the other posts.

For those who based their purchase decision solely on power, perhaps buying a V8 and heading for the 1/4 mile strip might be a better fit.

There's more to a thoroughbred than just raw computational power. As a developer, I am more than convince that the enabling technologies that permit richer and more creative content will win more hearts... only when both consoles are out will we know for sure.

All that said, let's have a bit of wisdom and try to ignore the hype for a few months before we commit ourselves to an uneducated opinion.
I'll be buying the one that has the best games.
I love the posts here.

"I won't buy Xbox 360 because it's M$ hardware."
"Sony have had 2 previous machines so they must be better."
"One machine can do "Function X" faster so I'll buy that one"

For Gods sake people what age are these posters.

Here's my criteria for what machine I'll be buying.

The one that has the best games will get my vote.

finally someone with sense.
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
finally some common sense

However, I'm glad to see that someone has a bit of unbiased common sense.

Here is an opinion
For god sakes i want Sega to come back into the Hardware buisness ;) ,as far as it goes for NeXt gen consoles im more biased for the PS3 because 1.) I am a nvidia fan ever since they bought key properties of 3DFX, and they are building the VPU for PS3 and 2.) Final Fantasy will undoubtfully be on PS3, currently i own the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, and a outdated Dreamcast system, not counting the older machines i have, but really also from the previews i have seen of XBOX 360 didnt impress me very much. PS3 Backward compatibilty is also a factor for me.
Anyone considered what Nintendo is offering, the revolution? No has mentioned them yet as they are still in the console wars.
Here is an opinion
XBOX 360 has enough HP to kick Sony's butt!!!
You can crunch the numbers to make it look as if the Playstation is better but reality dictates otherwise. Sony is going down in all of its markets because of poor decisions at the top. Eight controllers??? What for? That is the biggest waste I have ever heard of. Are all the players going to have a 2 inch screen. Ridiculus!!!
Playstation. by at least 3 laps.
As Playstation portable proves, Sony knows gaming systems; No one was fool enough to question this point. And Xbox doesn't. Anybody miss that point? People who buy Xboxes OVER playstations right now are really getting off on the features a properly configured computer will do anyway(and loving the great deal on all that give-away-priced electronic equipment in a box).
The reason why Xboxes aren't being made backwards compatible is because the only game on it that made a blip that was worth a blip was Halo-- so there's really no point. PS3 is backwards compatible, playstation is the IT console for new games, and PS3 is the future; Xbox is just 1.5 so why bother with that if you're going to choose which of the two to upgrade. This is the point the totally flamed first replier tried to make, I believe. People who want to play with electronics buy xboxes. people who want to play games will be buying playstations-- even (and especially) if they wait a few months to see who's delivered the best system. I hate sony's bungle of proprietary restraints almost as much as microsoft's, but let's be for real. We know playstation will be better, despite all the micro-noise spinning out of the starting Gates' mouth right now. Microsoft's move into consoles is more about the aggresive use of extra cash to conquer new territory and contain the threat of consoles-online: read: ie, their "territory"-- than the desire to host great games. (remember their sucka** computer games back in the day with the one or two gems that their monkeys hacked out?) When sony gets its game together, it beats all competition at making specific products for the end user of an applied technology (except ipod, course, sony's latest generation of mp3 players look pretty sexy though). I know this and say it, giving the OTHER devil his due despite the fact that actually I don't really even like corporateSony, and prefer strategy games (loved atari. now they make civ3!). Poor gamecube, sega, nintendo. Yay firefox --C
Posted by w8less (12 comments )
8 Controllers
1. The PS3 supports two screens at once.

2. Who said that the controllers will be used by 8 people? They could, for example, a wireless steering wheel with separate gearstick and pedal.
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Keep Dreaming
Blu-Ray VS standard DVD. And you are telling me XBOX 1.5 has more HP? Ha !
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
XBOX 360 has enough HP to kick Sony's butt!!!
Playstation. by at least 3 laps.
Posted by w8less (12 comments )
8 Controllers
1. The PS3 supports two screens at once.

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Keep Dreaming
Blu-Ray VS standard DVD. And you are telling me XBOX 1.5 has more HP? Ha !
brand name
like i said in a vista post, brand name is all important. i played an x-box and wasn't impressed. the games were too average (including halo). ps2 on the other hand, blew me away. being honest i don't think that the next-gen console wars are going to be as exciting as the two that passed previously since games are going mainstream. if i do buy a console it will be PS3. i have never forgiven MS for creating the worst OS known to man and the fact that they are integrating winwoes into their x-box 360 means that we can look forward to blue screens and being hacked repeatedly. no thanks MS, sony may be pretty evil but compared to you, they are the good guys. :D
Posted by Scott W (419 comments )
XBOX 1.5 is Already a Lame Brand Name
Not to mention games are lame too :)
brand name
Posted by Scott W (419 comments )
XBOX 1.5 is Already a Lame Brand Name
Not to mention games are lame too :)
It is hard to predict
It is hard to predict what is going to happen. I can see most points from both sides, but it is too early to tell on several issues. I would consider the following:

In the current generation of consoles, XBOX has more than twice the processing power of the other consoles (it is a fact, that can be tested, analyzed, etc. The difference is much greater than what you see in the next generation of consoles), yet due to lack of titles, coming late to market, etc. XBOX is clearly behind PS2 in total sales. However, it is also proven that in the US XBOX has outsold PS2 for many months, once titles started to catch up.

On the other hand, MS is aware, that even with this twice or more power on their current platform, most publishers never took the full advantage of the console graphics or sound, because it would be too different from what they were doing on their other platforms, and so it would have cost more. So even though the XBOX has lots more power, in most games the difference is small.

Given all this, a similar XBOX 360 and PS3 platforms would produce similar games. XBOX would have an advantage right off the gate, but depending on titles PS3 could easily surpass XBOX 360 sales. To be sure, the titles are what is going to make the difference. In today's market most games still come out for the PS2 first.

I have not seen the details of compatibility, but that will also be an issue. Mainly because people that spent money on games will feel betrayed if the console doesn't play their old titles and might jump ship, simply because the other platform provides full compatibility. Of course not to the games the person has, but at least is a sort of "guarantee" that it won't happen to him again.

And last, there is the issue of the developer platform. MS is trying to reproduce what it has done in the PC world, and provide a simple, fast, productive development environment. If game developers and publishers start using it, that could make a difference. But maybe they won't use it to try to keep their development the same in many platforms. Or many developers will jump in the gaming market because of the simplicity of these tools.

All in all, it will be an interesting next 18 months.
PS3 is simply better for gamers...
Hey listen, PS3 is fully backwards compatible and twice as fast. It also has a deeper developer base. There is no question who will win this round. SONY WILL WIN EASILY. XBOX really screwed this one up in my IMO. They could have put a little more thought in compatiblility and the power of their unit but they didn't. My first consol was an XBOX but I can clearly see what the best choice would be for my next consol. I'll be happy to wait for PS3. Who wouldn't? It's just a better situation all the way around for the gamers. Also PlayStation has more good games the are oriented for younger gamers like my son. I think most XBOX titles are stupid.
Posted by Stan Johnson (322 comments )
It is hard to predict

All in all, it will be an interesting next 18 months.
PS3 is simply better for gamers...
Posted by Stan Johnson (322 comments )
One of these days....
... I might find some reason to care about who wins this 'contest'.
Or maybe not.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
As Long As People are Happy with their Consoles
Winning or losing just doesn't matter anymore :)
One of these days....
... I might find some reason to care about who wins this 'contest'.
Or maybe not.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
As Long As People are Happy with their Consoles
Winning or losing just doesn't matter anymore :)
It's about the games
The PS3 is faster with it's cell chip it only a certain number of games will push either box to the limit. Both sets of demos at E3 were amazing.
Selling the xBox 360 for this Christmas and it's ability to interact with Windows PC's is an advantage but it will come down to which games are the most popular. If Halo 3 rocks then the xBox will sell well. I don't think Microsoft will over take Sony this go round but they will do well. If the PS3 is over $500 and the xBox 360 is under $350 then that is another advantage.
My question for both Sony and Microsoft is which of you will help the smaller game development shops the most. $15-$20 million to develop one game is allot of cash. We are not all EA but most of the best talent is in the smaller shops and that is where the more interesting games will be created and that will help drive sales of your new consoles.
Posted by KinsmanRedeemer (2 comments )
Of Course It's All About Games
But the problem is, XBOX has no good games whatsoever :)
It's about the games
Posted by KinsmanRedeemer (2 comments )
Of Course It's All About Games
But the problem is, XBOX has no good games whatsoever :)
PS3 Wins
The reason I believe this is because people as a whole are stupid. They buy the thing that is marketed best and by reading the posts here you can see that the sony lovers are finding random reasons why one theoretical system is not as good as theirs. The reality is both are good systems and have good games coming up but as long as sony can out brainwash Microsoft for long enough, they will have this race in the bag.
Posted by brendanluc (6 comments )
Don't See Any Good Games on XBOX 1.5
Without good games, a powerful console is just a piece of trash :)