June 29, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

Microsoft says Vista beta testers better hurry

For those who want to try out the current test version of Microsoft's Windows Vista, it may be now or never.

The company is nearing its self-imposed cutoff point and plans to stop allowing new downloads after Friday, according to Microsoft blogger Ian Moulster.

"In case you weren't aware, we are only providing a limited number of copies of Windows Vista Beta 2--either download or physical copies--and we're fast approaching the cutoff point, " Moulster wrote. "What this means is--if you want to get a copy, get it now (and I mean now)."

Microsoft released Beta 2 of Windows Vista in May but didn't make it available to the general public until earlier this month. Microsoft cautioned at the time that it might limit the number of testers.

According to the latest schedule, the oft-delayed operating system is due to be finished and available to large corporate customers late this year, with a mainstream launch in January.

As for the current beta, Moulster said people who start their download before the cutoff will be able to finish getting the software, even if it takes them slightly past the deadline. He cautioned that people should make sure that they get a product key for the software and also recommended that people activate their beta software. "We may be able to provide people who have activated copies with future...stuff," he said. "I'm being vague because I need to be. Just trust me and make sure you activate."

A Microsoft representative confirmed the company has nearly reached the amount of testers it plans to allow to try Vista Beta 2. "The Windows Vista Beta 2 code is available in limited quantities, and we've almost reached that limit and expect to close the program shortly," the representative said in an e-mail.

tester, copy, download, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Corp.

Hurrying the release of an operating system?
I don't think that's a good idea. Who wants a rushed operating system? If they delayed it this long, I think it would be best to make sure it's solid upon release.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.techknowcafe.com/content/view/554/42/" target="_newWindow">http://www.techknowcafe.com/content/view/554/42/</a>
Posted by mystereojones (46 comments )
Amazing what people post when they don't pay attention
Go back and read the story again, you totally failed to comprehend.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Hurry
It won't matter when they press CDS because Vista will have bugs, worms galore. Plus two years old computers will have to be replaced.
Posted by paulsecic (298 comments )
Tried it. Nothing to rave about.
Not a must have item.

And it behaves like a brat if you try to install it in a dual boot partition. Must use a mechanical dual boot switch with 2 drives.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
doesnt work with my ATI x1300 BFG motherboard
Once the install finnishes then the screen is black and the only way to view the OS is in safe mode.
Posted by inachu (963 comments )
huh?
I have installed on 5 machines with 3-4 oses each and it was one of the easiest installs by far...and what exactly does a "bratty" os selection screen mean
Posted by epiccollision (105 comments )
Just on the off chance that you actually did what you said:
What drive format did you put 3-4 OS's on? And what's the 3-4 OS's?
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Bratty
I think he is referring to how it has a different boot loader. (It is a valid point. I still haven't had the courage to install it on my main machine.)
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Drivers
I am trying to get these drivers My Lexmark X1100 Promise SATA 378 (tm) IDE Controller on Motherboard. I dumped these programs it said it didn't like Nero Image Drive, Power DVD CATALYST control Center. Maybe that is why the Ati guys X1300 don't work.. need drivers.. I hope I can go on the internet after I install Vista it don't like my 1394 Net Adapter either.. Is this really worth the trouble ???
Posted by Ralphdb (4 comments )
Vista Product key
Can anybody tell me how to get the product key for windows viat. I download the Vista Beta 2, but microsft never sent me the product key. yet the gave me a office 2007 key.
please help
Posted by guynel (1 comment )
depends on your pc and hardware situation
Well first of all the vista installer tells you beforehand what won't work. So I'm sure it wasn't a suprise when those things wern't working. You probably should have researched availible drivers before installing...

But in my case, vista installed a generic video driver for my radeon xpress 200m, and I was able to find catalyst drivers for Vista on ATI's site, so I was lucky there. Lexmark is kind of a crappy company so if you can't find drivers for their stuff it's probably their fault. Alot of companies have started making vista drivers already so that the people testing it and developing for it can use their hardware, but the more obscure the hardware probably the less likely you are to find the drivers.
Posted by DraconumPB (229 comments )