June 7, 2006 5:45 PM PDT

Microsoft releases public download of Vista

Related Stories

Vista gets out of PC sync

June 7, 2006

On the hunt for Vista bugs

May 30, 2006

Vista debut hits a delay

March 21, 2006
After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.

The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.

special coverage
Piecing together Vista
All the latest on the Windows update

"Microsoft today kicked off the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program (CPP), providing the broadest access yet to pre-release test versions of Windows Vista," the company said in a statement. Microsoft is aiming to wrap up testing and development of Vista later this year in hopes of a broad launch in January. The company released Beta 2 last month to a more limited group of testers and had promised the broader test would come shortly.

Elsewhere on CNET
Download it
Get Vista beta and more information at Download.com

The software maker is still cautioning that Vista is not ready for the average consumer, pitching the CPP as suited for developers and tech workers, as well as hard-core enthusiasts who don't mind a few bugs and have a spare machine for testing. Microsoft also recommends those interested in the CPP run its recently released adviser tool, which helps detect how Vista-ready a PC is.

People can either download the software from Microsoft's Web site or pay a small fee to get it on DVD.

Although Microsoft is looking for millions of testers, it has said it may cap the test program at some point.

Microsoft Windows Vista, software company, download, Microsoft Corp., Microsoft Windows

Download a Disaster!
The file servers are so unreliable that a download manager is COMPULSORY!

File transfer stops every 50MB.... on CABLE!
Posted by Nicholsa202020 (6 comments )
Agreed 100%
You are so right my friend. I think the only thing that Microsoft will ever have a market in is Windows, and even that has been somewhat of a failure. However, it's so hard to not use Windows, because everyone has it. I was actually considering changing to Mandrake (Linux), but unfortunately hardly any software that is used these days is compadible with it.

Cheers,
nic
Think
Maybe your download problems and the slow speed of 50Kb/sec is because of the number of people actually downloading it at the same time? Did you actually think of that?
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
Download Disaster? I Think Not
There is nothing unreliable about the servers. What you are seeing is an overload of download attempts that the servers dont have sufficient bandwidth to handle. That can and sometimes does happen with every major Microsoft download offering as it does with many other vendors sites as well.

A download manager will not cure that problem and if you were using a decent browser, none is needed because the better browsers will continue a download from the point at which it was cut off when the next attempt to download is made. In fact, Microsoft's site will automatically do the same as it has always done for major upgrades such as Service Packs.
Posted by gmcaloon--2008 (72 comments )
No Disaster Here
I downloaded Vista beta using my dsl and did not use the download manager and it worked fine.. It was pretty quick I was getting 300kb for most of the download.

Jim
Posted by dbarjim (7 comments )
download ?
I clicked and did save as, no download man. and in three hours, poof I was done... on cable modem
Posted by akbar_or_jeff (14 comments )
This is all I get upon trying to download...
Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista
Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available
for this program.

Note: Windows Vista Beta 2 can be installed and activated on up to
10 PCs using with one Product Key.
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
Download a Disaster!
The file servers are so unreliable that a download manager is COMPULSORY!

File transfer stops every 50MB.... on CABLE!
Posted by Nicholsa202020 (6 comments )
Agreed 100%

Cheers,
nic
This is all I get upon trying to download...
Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista
Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available
for this program.

Note: Windows Vista Beta 2 can be installed and activated on up to
10 PCs using with one Product Key.
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
Think
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
Download Disaster? I Think Not

Posted by gmcaloon--2008 (72 comments )
No Disaster Here

Jim
Posted by dbarjim (7 comments )
download ?
Posted by akbar_or_jeff (14 comments )
OMG
If the crap one needs to go through to even TRY to get the thing to
d/l, is any indication of the final product, LOOK OUT!!!
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
Agreed.
Sorry, I'm not going to LOG IN to try out your operating system.

Just say no to usertracking, and having to go through a circus act just to get access to an ISO file.
Posted by katamari (310 comments )
OMG
If the crap one needs to go through to even TRY to get the thing to
d/l, is any indication of the final product, LOOK OUT!!!
Posted by CentrOS (126 comments )
Agreed.
Sorry, I'm not going to LOG IN to try out your operating system.

Posted by katamari (310 comments )
For Free!
Vista should be for free when its finally released.
Posted by ServedUp (413 comments )
and worth every penny!!
ha, ha.
Posted by MacGregory (53 comments )
For Free!
Vista should be for free when its finally released.
Posted by ServedUp (413 comments )
and worth every penny!!
ha, ha.
Posted by MacGregory (53 comments )
IT'S a FREE BETA DOWNLOAD OF 3.5GB
Keep that in mind before you start trashing the download process. Use the download manager. Follow the instructions. Seems like some people don't have any other job but to just trash microsoft on any story that is published here as soon as it is published here.
Posted by dudegadget (14 comments )
sure
not that the manager even works in firefox/ suprise!
Posted by shawcables (2 comments )
"lol teh M$"
They're pathetic, aren't they? Their whole existence defined by their hatred for a corporation.

I think Penny Arcade said it best, when speaking on the so-called "zealots": "M$, from the depths of my parents' basement, I STAB AT THEE!"
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
People don't understand that when a swarm of people goes to download 3.5GB of data from the site, it slows down everyones download and people might have trouble downloading the file.
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
January is a no go
I'm guessing a million or more bug reports are on there way to
Mycro the next few weeks, how will they ever streamline and fix all
this information? Easy, they can't. Any january release will be just
another beta.
Posted by Peter Bonte (316 comments )
January a No Go?
>> Isn't OSX built off OpenBSD? If anything OSX should be FREE as well. <<

No. Although the underlying kernel is BSD, OS X is a licensed version of BSD originally developed by Jobs when he was out of Apple and running his own company. it is actually Jobs modified NeXT. Certain parts of the code are open source, but not all of it. The only really open source code Apple uses is for its browser, Safari.
Posted by gmcaloon--2008 (72 comments )
January is a no go
I'm guessing a million or more bug reports are on there way to
Mycro the next few weeks, how will they ever streamline and fix all
this information? Easy, they can't. Any january release will be just
another beta.
Posted by Peter Bonte (316 comments )
January a No Go?
>> Isn't OSX built off OpenBSD? If anything OSX should be FREE as well. <<

Posted by gmcaloon--2008 (72 comments )
All these Beta Releases
What is up with all of these companies and these Beta releases.

Everything is in beta. Yahoo.com, MyNewPlace.com, AIM Instant Messenger, Windows Media Player, Windows Vista....

dang...
Posted by darrius3365 (98 comments )
WOW
Where have you been for the last 10 years?
Posted by SeizeCTRL (1333 comments )
re:
I wasn't making the comment out of stupidity. I just notice that a lot of the programs I am using are betas. I didn't say that there is anything wrong with it or that it is wierd.
Posted by darrius3365 (98 comments )
All these Beta Releases
What is up with all of these companies and these Beta releases.

dang...
Posted by darrius3365 (98 comments )
WOW
Where have you been for the last 10 years?
Posted by SeizeCTRL (1333 comments )
re:
Posted by darrius3365 (98 comments )
System Reqs?
I'm a bit concerned about those system requirements. 0 out of the 4 computers in my house can get the "Premium" experience because of the video card's lack of support for Aero. Also, why does Vista need 15Gb of hard drive space?!? To me, that seems a bit on the heavy side. Windows is getting way overbloated now. I'm hoping for a shift of public opinion in favor of open source.
Posted by Jabib (8 comments )
Getting bloated?
It has been bloated for years. It is only getting worse.

You didn't think that MS could copy others work properly did you?
Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )
My Vista review
Being a M$ Gold Partner, we have been privey to all of the beta releases. I picked up the latest release from MSDN (no download problems) and loaded it onto one of our new Dell Optiplex GX520's (Dell's current Flagship workstation) and there has been mixed feelings about the new operating system.

Some immediately complained that the interface was too different and that it looked MAC'd out. Which with some degree I would agree, however we did get lucky and they did not remove the options for classic views and themes.

Among some of the first things I noticed. It was a 9GB install. Good grief! Second, this is a version of the 'Home Edition' which will not give corporate users like myself the ability to see exactly how this will affect our customers and users.

It was very apparant how this will affect home users. Any time you attempt to change a setting or delete a file. You are endlessly bombarded with confirmation screens. My guess is this is one of Microsoft's 'security' features to prevent viruses from changing system settings. However what this will lead to (as I already see with XP SP2) is that users (even plant managers) will download or even buy applications like 'Click Yes' that will automatically hit OK when presented with an OK or Cancel option. This is because users get fed up with having to click ok everytime they leave a secured site, or other similar requests and prompts that they do not know how to shut off. This leads to many problems. The first being with users having to confirm soo many items they don't even know what they're confirming anymore. If they were prompted to install a virus, they may just go ahead and click OK.

Another problem this leads to is when they do have these 'Click Yes' programs, it can be very difficult to diagnose problems until you figure out they have one of these applications.

Other issues we noticed were some of the network options had been removed, and navigation of the new theme tended to confuse even long time users of Windows. The 'Run' command was removed from the new start menu, however it is available in classic view.

One of the features we did like was the 'compatibility mode' When we attempted to install a piece of software it said it could not run as it was incompadible and asked me if I would like to attempt to re-run setup with recommended settings. I agreed, and the software began to install. Yay! No more having to fiddle with compatibility settings.

There is still alot to be seen with the Corporate and Ultimate versions, and other than the security updates and the MAC looking interface. I have yet to see anything that might compel us to begin recommending updates to the new O/S. I will be more interested to see Microsoft's new partition imaging tool and thier strategy for doing mass rollouts. In the past we have been limited on what we could do with remote unattended installations, and being able to update these images in a timely fashion.

So far we are still un-decided on our position, but I'm sure inevitably we will begin our migration to the new system. So far though Vista gets a 5 of 10 from us.

~Mr. Network
Posted by Mr. Network (92 comments )
Prompting
There are a lot challenges with the prompting system. They really have only 3 methods of preventing programs, viruses, or spyware from installing on the computer with out you knowing. One is to prevent any fancy features like javascript, activex, autorun, any automatic installion capability, etc. Second is to prompt people when a programs try to install on your computer and the third is to allow all programs to install with out prompting you or ask you for rights. You can't prevent people from just saying ok for everything and allowing everything to be installed with admin rights.
I think prompting the user is the best compromise. M$ is saying that they will tweak the amount of promting so it won't be overwelming for the consumer. Yeah... lets hope so. Currently it is too much.
Posted by Gasaraki (183 comments )
Thank you...
for the thoughtful and informative review. Much appreciated.

Curt
Posted by C.Schroeder (126 comments )
Can't you see the genius of it?
When Vista gets successfully mass attacked(you know this will happen in days of release), they can say it is the users fault for allow it to install.

See this way they get to shift the blame on someone else, and not have to be concerned about security.

Pure genius!
Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )
I CHALLENGE Microsoft
I have been reading these Blogs and several magazine articles for awhile on Vista and all I hear is Mac, Mac, Mac and more Mac for comparisions. I Challenge you Microsoft that for one time you can come up with an original idea of your own. Please don't tell me this was. I am not a Mac user but I do believe that thousands of reviewers who say it looks like a Mac cannot be lying. As long as the majority of offices use PC's I will be using one only because I need to not because I want to. Perhaps since you are copying the Mac then perhaps everyone should go uot and buy one. For crying out load FIRE the stupid copy cat idiot and come up with something better. You have the money just go and find the BRAINS.
Posted by Ted Miller (305 comments )
But they *are* lying
The iIdiots are indeed lying, "MS is copying Apple" has been their mantra for years and anything that MS does they'll claim that Apple did it first even though Apple nearly always copied someone else. For an example the new Aero interface in Vista is supposedly a copy of the (not so new now) Apple interface but the reality is that transparent windows and the like have been available for years on Unix systems before Apple even wrote OSX.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Apple should be flattered.
Really. They should be damn happy that Aero is a copy of their interface. All it does is prove that, for one, they chose the right look, and secondly, and more importantly, they have an influence on a larger portion of the market than just the Mac/Apple users (this excludes iPod's - yes, we all know...)

"Come up with something better."
You act like that's an easy task. Chances are, they could go years without creating something remotely liked by users (I found maybe 2 XP themes that would appeal to most people I know).
By copying Apple, they are doing the two things they have done for years, and will (probably) continue to do for years:

1)Make a profit. Copycats or not, they are the biggest kid on the block, and will keep that position at any cost.
2)Look out for consumers. Now, before you go on the whole "lack of security/crashing" crusade, hear me out.

I'm not referring to the computer being fully functional 100% of the time. I'm just talking about making it easier to use for new computer users while maintaining the interest of more advanced users. XP did this exponentially better than the previous Windows iterations, and Vista may be able to pander to both sides even better.

And if it takes a copy of Mac products for them to do it, then why shouldn't they go for it?
Posted by Tomcat Adam (272 comments )
I CHALLENGE Ted Miller...
... to take a chill pill, dude. You're getting way too worked up over this.

Ya know, Apple didn't invent the mouse, yet they chose to include one with their computer. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sure, others have come along and improved on it, but it's still a mouse.

It's a BETA, people. Be glad you get to play with anything at all. It's not like you get given a Corvette free to play with for months before it's ready to be put out for sale. Complaining that it doesn't do this or that right is just plain silly.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
of course...
I'm sure you are not a Mac user, let me guess, Linux? All software should be free and we should be rewarded for being "nice" people instead of on merit. Right. I have a news flash: improving UI isn't a new idea either. It is usually part of the release cycle to make apps and OSes more aesthetically pleasing.
Posted by georgerios (2 comments )
Cough*Frontrow*cough
Hey, im not evening trying to claim that many of the UI features in vista aren't copied of the Mac. They are. But seing video running as you toggle through your open windows in 3d is still pretty amazing looking. And everyone copies each other in business. Front Row is a copy of Media center is a copy of snapstream and other people who provided improved media interfaces for pc's. So yeah, they copied some(or many) features, but the MS users will benefit from the improvements, which is a good thing.
Posted by Rolndubbs (194 comments )
Your accusations are MISGUIDED...
eveyone (who has a brain) knows that Apple innovates and gets to
market with killer products. And they also know that M$ has
copied the MAC interface for years, and probably will in the future
as is shown by Vista. But what people don't realize is that M$ is so
bad they can't even copy well...which has been proven time and
again, and will probably be proven with Vista. I predict Vista will be
the final straw for M$, and they will be forced to open source 'doze
to get it working and compete w/Linux.
Posted by robot999 (109 comments )
Control dude.
Last Paragraph of this note is very offensive in nature and completely undermines months of labor and tons of sweat shed by top notch engineers from around the world. If you are so concerned please dont buy it. I am positive, there will be millions ( yes Millions ) other standing in queues to grab a copy, Not for nothing but for the Solid product, Excellent support, and value in it. Last but not the least, My apologies if i sounded harsh but yes i am opiniated and respect people's effort and hard work.
Posted by durlabhm (16 comments )
I CHALLENGE Microsoft
Posted by Ted Miller (305 comments )
But they *are* lying
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Apple should be flattered.

"Come up with something better."

Posted by Tomcat Adam (272 comments )
I CHALLENGE Ted Miller...
... to take a chill pill, dude. You're getting way too worked up over this.

Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
of course...
Posted by georgerios (2 comments )
Cough*Frontrow*cough
Posted by Rolndubbs (194 comments )
Your accusations are MISGUIDED...
eveyone (who has a brain) knows that Apple innovates and gets to
market with killer products. And they also know that M$ has
copied the MAC interface for years, and probably will in the future
as is shown by Vista. But what people don't realize is that M$ is so
bad they can't even copy well...which has been proven time and
again, and will probably be proven with Vista. I predict Vista will be
the final straw for M$, and they will be forced to open source 'doze
to get it working and compete w/Linux.
Posted by robot999 (109 comments )
Control dude.
Posted by durlabhm (16 comments )
Do you think vista beta 2 sucks
All of the media thinks so, check out this article on MSNBC on Vista Beta 2.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://zxo.blogspot.com/2006/05/windows-vista-beta-2-sucks.html" target="_newWindow">http://zxo.blogspot.com/2006/05/windows-vista-beta-2-sucks.html</a>
Posted by zxocuteboy (45 comments )
Yup it sucks
The sad thing is how many years they have been working on it, and still can't get it right.

Look at how many features have been pulled. The vaporous file system is a prime example. It has been in development since 1996, and if it comes out by 2008, it will be a miracle. Meanwhile, the features of this file system have been available to *nix users for at least 15 years. MS innovation in action.
Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )
Do you think vista beta 2 sucks
All of the media thinks so, check out this article on MSNBC on Vista Beta 2.

Posted by zxocuteboy (45 comments )
Yup it sucks

Posted by qwerty75 (1164 comments )
No thanks
I have enough "fun" beta-testing Microsoft's officially released products....
Posted by Get_Bent (534 comments )
No thanks
I have enough "fun" beta-testing Microsoft's officially released products....
Posted by Get_Bent (534 comments )
I can't even get in at all
stupid download servers
Posted by Tokimemofan (9 comments )
I can't even get in at all
stupid download servers
Posted by Tokimemofan (9 comments )
get real MS
so you expect me to buy a dvd drive and a dvd burner if i want to download.... BS i will stick to XP untill they release on a cd. thanks for free privew but no thanks.
Posted by gunit1234 (4 comments )
target audience
The target audience for this free release are Developers or Tech enthusiasts. I think MSFT believes that both the groups would have DVD burners, which is not totally inappropriate :D
Posted by YankeePoodle (785 comments )
get real MS
Posted by gunit1234 (4 comments )
target audience
Posted by YankeePoodle (785 comments )
1 byte per sec download speed.
They should have put some no of user restriction on download. With T1 connection and IDM I am getting 1 byte per sec download speed.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
1 byte per sec download speed.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )