June 13, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

Microsoft draws fire for stealth test program

Millions of Windows users may unwittingly be test subjects for an unfinished Microsoft antipiracy tool.

The software maker has been delivering a prerelease version of Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications software to PCs as a "high priority" item in the built-in update feature in Windows. The tool, also known as WGA Notifications, is used to validate the authenticity of Windows software installed on a PC.

The move is a first for the software maker. Microsoft normally asks people to join test programs before it initiates the download of any such trial software.

"I don't think that we have done it before," David Lazar, director of the Windows Genuine program at Microsoft, told CNET News.com on Monday. "WGA Notifications is a unique program."

Microsoft has been expanding its effort to distinguish pirated copies of Windows from legitimately acquired ones. The original WGA program, launched in September 2004, calls for people to validate their Windows installation when they download additional Microsoft software from a Microsoft Web site. In November, it introduced the separate WGA Notifications program. It now sends prerelease WGA Notifications software to people in a number of countries, including the United States.

But some security experts are troubled by Microsoft's decision to deliver prerelease software to millions of Windows users without clearly notifying them. People may not realize they are participating in a trial and have in essence become unsuspecting guinea pigs, they said.

"It shouldn't be offered to such a wide audience without more notification of the fact it is beta," said Russ Cooper, a senior scientist at Cybertrust, a security vendor in Herndon, Va. "Even with more notification, I think it should not be offered in the way it is."

Microsoft notes that this is "prerelease software" in the user license, which is displayed when WGA Notifications is about to be installed. People can decline the download at that point, but experts believe that most won't understand the license and that many don't read user license details.

No immediate benefit
Some suggest that pushing the antipiracy tool out as a "high priority" update in the same way as security fixes is a ploy to get people to install it.

"I don't see any way for Microsoft to get the software run by a large fraction of the user base except by calling it 'high priority,'" said David Walker, an IT professional in Las Cruces, N.M.

Running the tool doesn't offer any immediate benefit for users, Walker noted.

WGA download screenshots

"You could argue that this is mislabeling," he said. "I suppose it is a high priority for Microsoft to get rid of counterfeit software...It's not critical for the continued operation of the user's computer."

Michael Cherry, an analyst at Directions on Microsoft, agreed.

"While I have been supportive of Microsoft's Genuine Windows Program, there are no circumstances that I can think of where it makes sense to use Windows Update or Automatic Updates to distribute beta or nonfinal code," he said. Automatic Updates is the update feature in Windows.

Microsoft needs to find a better way to distribute noncritical or test software, Cherry said. The company should consider coming up with better labels for updates so that customers can understand when an update is needed to resolve a security problem or when it is needed to improve reliability, he said.

No warning label
Indeed, most consumers won't know what to do when Automatic Updates offers them the piracy tool and thus will simply accept it, said Michael Silver, a Gartner analyst.

"There's not a lot of benefit for consumers to allow this to be installed, but most won't know what it is and will probably just allow it," he said.

Although the WGA Notifications tool isn't finished yet, the software doesn't come with the same caveats as other Microsoft beta software, such as warnings that it could cause system crashes or otherwise affect PC performance, Microsoft's Lazar acknowledged.

"It is prerelease software. We're still testing it end-to-end, including the delivery mechanism," he said.

But, he added, "I want to assure everyone that WGA Notifications has been rigorously tested, and we're confident that the software can be installed and used safely."

Microsoft does understand the distribution concerns, Lazar said.

"We can see that people are very concerned about this particular feature or this particular aspect of the rollout, and it is something that we will consider in our future plans," Lazar said, indicating that Microsoft is not about to change the way it is testing WGA Notifications.

CONTINUED: An exception to policy…
Page 1 | 2

antipiracy, priority, Automatic Update, software company, Microsoft Corp.

Why it's being pushed
A few days after the first WGA notification program was released, a workaround was found, so Microsoft reworked the program so the workaround doesn't work, then pushes the software onto people's systems under the guise that it's a critical update. It's not a critical update to users, just microsoft.
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
I never trust MicroShaft. Download WGA hack 905474.exe.
I have licenses for ALL my PC's - it's a holographic label stuck to the side of my PC's cases. But I DO NOT trust MicroShaft when they insist on collecting my personal data like a Gestapo. That's why I reinstall Windoze and refuse the "check" it's legitamacy.

Just search the Web or Usenet for 905474.exe. Install that WGA spyware as MicroShaft insists you do. Than shut down Internet Explorer. Install this hack. Boot your PC. You're in business, PRIVATE business.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Not the case
You cannot know if you are legit or not. Those Windows boxes could be fakes, some of them have very good quality holographs. The activation process and the associated activation key is the only way to know (or buying directly from Microsoft, but few companies get to do that).
So you might be a pirate and you don't know. And if the lawyers come to check, you have no excuse. You deliberately disabled the piracy check, so they might even suspect you knew your copies were pirate.
What's the big deal? Enable the thing and let it go.
WGA is not spyware, no matter what you claim. It does what it tells you it does, it can be uninstalled and it is installed with an adequate prompt. So if you don't like it, it is because of something else, not because it is malware.
Posted by Hernys (744 comments )
What fool trusts a random hack executable off the net???
Install this hack, and risk your PC and every piece of data on it. Anyone who downloads some random hack executable off the internet to "protect their privacy" is naive and asking for trouble. How do you know your "hack" doesn't come with a built-in keylogger or spam trojan? How many versions of this executable are out there?

Either you're completely naive, or you authored this and are sitting back watching peoples personal data roll into your scam web site...

Get a clue.
Posted by gbrayjr (5 comments )
WGA
Anyone ever thought about what happens when XP reaches the end of support, like do the activation servers get shut off? I'm betting this is what will happen. I dont know about anyone else but if I buy a piece of software I expect to use it as long as I want too.
Posted by mlinder69-21063211865664677784 (36 comments )
what microsoft thinks
Microsoft thinks that you're too stupid to think for yourself, so it holds your hand on everything, including when they think you need to upgrade. I like thinking for myself, been doing it all my life. I've been seriously considering either using linux or just getting a mac because I want to be in control of when I upgrade my software and hardware and not have a company shove their pre release software down my throat because they're trying to nail pirates!
Posted by thedreaming (573 comments )
c'mon
I'm sure you're ready to up and install Windows 95 or Windows 3.1 on the computer you bought yesterday...no company supports more than a few older versions, and it's not like activation is that hard to bypass.

Anything before Windows 98 is essentially useless since these OS's didn't support: FAT32, USB, AGP and a myriad of other technologies.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
STOPPING WGA DEAD IN ITS TRACKS- AND STILL GET UPDATES
This post will illustrate:
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://zxo.blogspot.com/2006/06/stopping-windows-genuine-advantage.html" target="_newWindow">http://zxo.blogspot.com/2006/06/stopping-windows-genuine-advantage.html</a>
Posted by zxocuteboy (45 comments )
What? M$ using backdoor software in it's OS? Nah, say it ain't so
Gratuitus Jab at MickeySoft:

They've been releasing pre-release quality software since DOS, this isn't any different in that regaurd. Heck, even DOS had to be finished during the plane ride to IBM. Those pesky last minute boot loaders.

Seriously though:

Does this not smell a lot like that Win98 snaffoo where windows update was sending M$ system spec and software lists at each visit? An "oh, by the way" software installation under a false pretence isn't any better.

Granted, any business has the right to protect it's product from theift even if it is an absurdly over priced bile sac of bloated code. The issue is not that they are trying to reduce the number of pirated copies, it's the unethical way in which they go about it each time.
Posted by jabbotts (492 comments )
I have a legal copy and WGa messed up my system
I can no longer up date my Windows Media Center.

I have asked several Microsoft MVP's and technets and they cant fix the 299 error.

I have spent over 20 hours trying to get the OS updated but microsoft update refuses and says validation failed.. I know the step by heart to FIX IT THE MICROSOFT WAY but so far no fix is available. releasing beta code killing my LEGIT install that is not a pirate copy IS full of BS!
The programmers of WGA need to be fired PERIOD!
Posted by inachu (963 comments )
I have a legal copy and WGa messed up my system
I can no longer up date my Windows Media Center.

I have spent over 20 hours trying to get the OS updated but microsoft update refuses and says validation failed.. I know the step by heart to FIX IT THE MICROSOFT WAY but so far no fix is available. releasing beta code killing my LEGIT install that is not a pirate copy!!!!
The programmers of WGA need to be fired PERIOD!
Posted by inachu (963 comments )
wga
Inachu, did you mean to post this message three times, or is there something wrong with your computer??
Posted by pansy (1 comment )
I have a legal copy and WGa messed up my system
I can no longer up date my Windows Media Center.

The programmers of WGA need to be fired PERIOD!
Posted by inachu (963 comments )
Two Words
CLASS ACTION!

Listen when sleazy malware companies do this they are now charged under the new federal legislation that specifically prohibits this incredibly ILLEGAL behaviour.

Someone had better clue MS in to the fact that our PCs and what every the hell is one them is our PRIVATE and PERSONAL PROPERTY and is subject to the same RIGHTS and any other piece of PERSONAL PROPERTY!

God damn I hate the ******' company!

CLASS ACTION! CLASS ACTION! CLASS ACTION! CLASS ACTION! CLASS ACTION! CLASS ACTION! CLASS ACTION!
Posted by 206538395198018178908092208948 (141 comments )
Mac just keeps looking better and better and better and..
That's it Microsoft, just keep shooting yourself in the foot. Before
you know it you'll be on your knees begging the public to come
back..
Posted by imacpwr (456 comments )
Then be on your way
and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Yes, I think MS can and should do better then this incident; but I'll admit it won't make me switch back to the Mac(I left the Mac years ago and have been much happier for it).
If you'd be happier on the Mac, then be off.
Posted by catch23 (436 comments )
hehe.. ehh.. ok..
Im typing this out on my laptop with Debian installed...

Microsoft easily the #1 OS in the world.. begging for users to come back is quite funny.. yea.. im sure there is a huge exodus to other OSs right now.. yea.. its not happening.
Posted by aSiriusTHoTH (176 comments )
Their Experiment Backfired in my Case
My update log shows a string of failed attempts downloading this thing (fortunately, I guess)... Just "Error downloading"... And yes, I have a perfect legal copy of XP/Pro. Now that I realize I'm an involuntary tester, I won't bother trying to figure-out why I get the errors.
Posted by ByteTraveler (1 comment )
WTF???
I'm getting tired of Microsoft trying to protect their OS. I own legal copies of XP and frankly I am disturbed by this "call home" software. I usually install everything and even installed WGA. The first time that Notifications was installed on one of my machines a virus seemed to infiltrate immediately thereafter. I uninstalled it, which was a pain, cleaned up the virus and have been both Notifications and virus free since. Needless to say, I won't be installing these call home software anymore and if they are made critical updates I guess I will be turning off automatic updates too.
Posted by MythicalMe (51 comments )
mindful consumerism
no one should actually be surprised by this, and we should read the license terms. though it may be tedious, its the way things work here. the fact is, if you're installing anything without finding out what it is, you deserve what you get. no one is forced to use microsoft software, there are plenty of alternatives. consumers need to be more mindful of what choices they have and what effects those choices might have.
Posted by xauf93 (2 comments )
mindfulness
Posted by xauf93 (2 comments )
BIG BROTHER. Wha cha gonna do? _Switch_ Macs do Windows too
Don't ya just love Microsoft's "we're doing it for our users" ploy.

Right, for the users benefit. Uh huh.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Windows Update & Beta
Windows Update should only be used for delivering completed, nonbeta, software - PERIOD.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Only pirates can complain
What a bunch of idiots complaining?
If someone has legit version of winodws - there is nothing to worry about.
Only people who have pirated version (and I would say 50% have pirated versions) are trying to put Microsoft down with stupid comments about privacy. Those people should get their privacy in jail.
Pirates are always trying to say they will change to Linux or Mac, but interesting that they never do. Probably because nothing can replace good old windows?
Guys I am very technical guy, I used MSX2, OS2, all version of windows (including Vista), most versions of linux (and latest ones), many versions of Solaris, all version of Mac OS and I know that once people try to go for anything else than windows, they come back to their senses pretty quickly.
So just shut up and let Microsoft do their job. And they do the best job.
Posted by alenas (181 comments )
One word
Amen.

I dont get it either. If you have a legit copy then you are fine. Dont extrapolate...and go off on some conspiracy theory like well if they did this what is next. You are either a pirate or not. Stealing is stealing plain and simple.
Posted by Lindy01 (443 comments )
Not just pirates
I spent several hours trying to fix an office machine which slowed to a crawl or froze after this update was installed. It's beta. It's flawed. It should not have been released as an update.
Posted by umbramistweave (5 comments )
Um.. it affects legit computers
"What a bunch of idiots complaining?"

Ummm.. obviously you are the idiot who doesn't seem to comprehend that a lot of "legit" computers seem to have problems with this crapware.

I maintain more than 20 computers in an office where 9 of them I had to call Microsoft to finally convince these are legit windows XP computers.. licenses in hand.

So now.. your generalization of just "pirated" people complaining is moronic and small-world.
Posted by aSiriusTHoTH (176 comments )
Yar matey!
The issue is whether forcing users to beta test your software, and not only failing to adequately inform them but actually imply that they are getting a "high priority" update that does nothing to make their system run better, is ethical (and, if some enterprising lawyer starts thinking "class action," legal).

The outcry is, of course, all a bit silly. Everyone knows that every piece of software Microsoft releases is essentially beta software, hence the endless patches. The release of Windows Vista will be yet another adventure into paid beta testing. And you kind of blew your cred when you said "once people try to go for anything else than windows, they come back to their senses pretty quickly." And did you actually say "good old windows"? Non-ironically? I thought that even Windows fans pretty much held it at arm's length.

I actually doubt there are too many documented cases of Windows recidivism, and anyone who comes trudging back is likely doing so because they feel they have no choice.

Anyway, I can't really blame Microsoft for wanting to lock down Windows, given that entire countries are running pirated copies, it's really just a matter of whether they overstepped by making this a mandatory update before it's finished.
Posted by Ikthog (43 comments )
Do you even kno what BETA means?!?
I find it very difficult to believe that you "[sic] very technical guy,
I used MSX2, OS2, all version of windows (including Vista), most
versions of linux (and latest ones), many versions of Solaris, all
version of Mac OS." My guess is I could quiz you right here and
now about various aspects of Linux, Solaris or OSX, and you
would not have a clue, even with Google at your beck and call.

That being said, you should be a little more reticent in regards
to words like "idiot." Do you even know what beta software is?
The issue is not just that it is an invasion of privacy and is, at
best, duplicitous. The issue is that this software is still in beta
form, which means that even Microsoft is unwilling to stand
behind it and say that it has no significant bugs that can destroy
your system. That is why they supposedly have a policy to
ALWAYS inform users that certain packages are beta. (I say
supposedly since it is ridiculous for MS to claim that this policy
is still in effect when this, per se, violates it.)

Considering the low level at which this software resides and
does it's work, its potential to wreak havoc on your system, even
destroying entire drives due to unforeseen buffer overflow
issues (you SERIOUSLY trust Microsoft not to have released
buggy software, especially in a beta release?!!!!!) is enormous.

Your inability to see this indicates that the idiot moniker might
better be applied a little closer to home.

-Mark
(someone who DOES work with various versions of Linux, UNIX,
and OSX, and, reluctantly, Windows.)
Posted by DeusExMachina (516 comments )
Legit users complain.
I service PC's. I have seen several PC's com in recently complaining that the software was not Genuine. I happen to know that the software WAS GENUINE! I am the system builder that sold the computer originally and preloaded the windows I purchased from a genuine DSP.

One reason that the system complains about counterfeit software is that the firewall they were using asked the users whether to allow the program access to the internet and not knowing any better they blocked it.

Other reasons that the counterfeit message appears is that any of 5 or 6 active x controls may not be working correctly or accessing the internet.

And all of these were on legitimate PC's !!!

Each instance required a technician to spend 15 to 30 minutes to diagnose and repair the problem.

While i know that MS must protect itself against piracy, punishing legitimate users is not the way.
Posted by thewizardofahhs (3 comments )
That is a very closed mined way to look at this issue.
I have to agree with "SilveryRose". I have a Dell Dimensions desktop that was messed up after this Microsoft download. I seriously doubt that Dell is selling computers with pirated copies of Windows installed on it.
Posted by CraigBryan (1 comment )
I am not a prirate
I am not a pirate. I paid for my computer and its software. It's not theirs to install beta on or phone home from.
By the way, Who left you in charge of "shut up"?
PWS
Posted by Miditone (5 comments )
(Byte that hand M.S.--Only pirates can complain
Gee I'll have to say that the statement (Only pirates can complain) must have came straight from Microsoft because thats the feeling customers have been getting from them for sometime now; Everybody is a pirate ! yep thats right,now why is it that no one takes in to account the innumerable copies (O excuse me I meant licensed not sold copies) re-purchased because a lot of people give in (for various reasons) rather than deal with the repeated phone calls for to M.S. for example, when trouble strikes and lets not mention the countless copies on OEM software due to bios or board changouts (my mother has one of those OEM dead beat machines.) O thats right piracy runs in the family I guess, Yea right! along with my neighbors machine too. It must be hard to stay afloat with so many pirates surrounding you Microsoft.! If there were as many pirates as you people claim then you'd be sunk right now (well except maby for those high prices) so continue to bite the hand that feeds you and watch yourself grow skinny.
SpyResearch
Amen
Posted by spyresearch (2 comments )
(Byte that hand M.S.--Only pirates can complain
SpyResearch
Amen
Posted by spyresearch (2 comments )
Genuine Advantage?
My version of XP automatically downloads &#38; installs updates. This included the anti-piracy beta. My version was pre-installed on a new, legally purchased Dell computer. My computer froze during the update installation process &#38; "blue screened". After a forced re-boot, my login screen was watermarked to tell me that I was a victim of piracy. I had to wait for a countdown to complete before I could log in. Fortunately, after the third re-boot I was able to resume the update &#38; re-booot safely back into a "legal" XP!
Posted by p.romany (1 comment )
Legit users affected
"What a bunch of idiots complaining?"

Posted by aSiriusTHoTH (176 comments )
maybe your coworkers used the keys at home?
beat ya to it! haha
Posted by baswwe (299 comments )
Windows lacks safety and stability
Always has and always will, 21 years with remedies and band-aids but no cure. All version had unresolved issues that MS could not fix
I've found that Windows has many popular applications that have not been developed for Linux because there is no money in Linux. But file sharing with a LinuxOS is a real pleasure, surfing the net is as safe as one can dream no worms, virus, spyware you name it. I'm sure MS is going to make a killing with Vista and One Care, and I'll buy the stock. But my daily computing will be done with Linux. Life without Microsoft is possible. But what is next to come, will be spending money to buy Vista and then $50.00 a year for OneCare forget Norton and Mcaffe, they are already out of the picture, and on top of that, keep reintalling Vista every time gets infected with God knows what new malware will come in the future.
After all Linux has Open Office, CD/DVD Burning and many more tools that work, You don't get every thing in life. Windows lacks security, there is no such a thing as peace of mind while running Windows, you are always on the edge and many times ,in serious trouble. Restoring, reinstalling, reformating, updating, patching twice a month.
Now MS wants the public to test and give them feedback, for free?? and pay later for a version of Vista??
Posted by gerardogerardo80 (28 comments )
Updates don't work now
Yep, problems... Since I installed this "vital" WGA update, further Windows updates fail with no explanations. (My Windows XP came with with my new Gateway computer, so I assume it's "genuine.") Sigh. Linux, anyone?
Posted by vestige (4 comments )
Redmond thinks they rule the world.
What a load of cr**! With the MacOS, software updates from
Apple are open and above-board. The Mac Software Update tells
you what updates are available, describes each of them in a brief
synopsis, and allows the user to select or de-select which ones
he wants, all before starting the download process.

If enough large network users, such as businesses and
academia, started switching to Mac, maybe Micrsoft would start
to do what's good for the customer, instead of what's good for
Microsoft.
Posted by jerrymacGP (248 comments )
not just macs
If you used Windows Update, you'd know that if you disable automatic update (which only downloads what MS considers high priority updates), and manually go to the site yourself, you can choose to list all available updates and read a brief message about each update telling you what it is for. The updates are also seperated into three categories: high priority, hardware, and software.

So, its not just apple.
Posted by techguy83 (295 comments )
Updates are disabled totally
I went to try and use windows update since I haven't updated in about a month and a half, when I went to the windows update webstie, I was greeted with a message saying there is a required update in order to use Windows update, what is this required update? When I click on "what is updated", the only thing listed was "Windows Genuine Advantage". I couldn't get any other updates, I couldn't bypass it, I couldn't do anything unless I choose to "update" my Windows Update software with the WGA update. My XP Pro is a valid licensed version and I think this is stupid that I can't even get IMPORTANT updates unless I get this BETA software that I don't have a choice to install and let it "phone home". Switching to a Mac is looking better and better every day.
Posted by zyphbear (6 comments )
Work-Around for those of you whose settings got hosed.
Go to Googles, select Groups. Search for WGA in Groups. Than specifically look for Ghost's 905474.exe hack. This replaces the WGATray and other WGA codes that messes with your PC and allows a clean Update profile.

Like I said, I have legit licenses for all. It's stuck like an ugly pimple on the side of my PC cases. But I don't like MicroShaft being so nosey into my personal data. If they want to stick their noses up my arse, they can come over and do it physically.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
YOUR WARNING NOTIFICATION
An executive from Redmond will be contacting you shortly to set up an appointment time to come do that nose in your a$$ thing...as a sidenote... be sure that it's only his nose, those redmond guys have a penchant for sticking it to you in more than one way! lmao

;-)
Posted by The user with no name (259 comments )
Microsoft's stealth program
Linux is looking better all of the time. I have used MS Windows and MSDos before that forever.The mindset at Microsoft seems to grow more "entitled" to whatever they want to do. The level of arrogance is astonishing even from Microsoft. They have put beta on my computer in the past. There must be a way to put a stop to MS intrusiveness.For now, I'll get the hack program.
PWS
Posted by Miditone (5 comments )