March 7, 2006 10:29 AM PST

Bruised Intel focuses forward

March 7, 2006

Gadgets on parade at CeBit

March 6, 2006

Microsoft whispers Origami details

March 2, 2006
SAN FRANCISCO--Intel on Tuesday plans to show off the minitablet device at the center of Microsoft's Origami project.

In a preview of Tuesday afternoon's demonstration, Intel Marketing Director Brad Graff showed CNET News.com several of the ultramobile PC devices, including an example of the kind of hardware that will ship in the next few weeks as part of the Microsoft effort.

Photos: Mini-Tablets

As earlier reported, the first devices have a 7-inch touch screen, standard x86 processors, and can run full versions of desktop operating systems including the Windows XP variant being used for Origami.

In later generations, probably next year or later, the devices could have the pocket size, all-day battery life, and $500 price that Microsoft and Intel are aiming for, Graff said in an interview.

The first generation of devices are likely to get about three hours of battery life, he said.

In addition to the 7-inch model, Graff showed several other prototype devices of what the chipmaker hopes will be possible in future versions, including models with smaller screens and a swivel-out keyboard. Although the prototypes are working, because they use today's standard components, they get only about 15 minutes of battery life.

Click here to Play

Video: Sneak peak of small things to come
Ultramobile PCs come fully equipped.

Intel's hardware, which uses its ultralow-voltage chips, can run standard x86 operating systems, including Windows and Linux. Microsoft plans on Thursday to finally detail its Origami effort, which runs only on Windows XP.

Both Microsoft and Intel have been targeting the affordable, ultraportable laptops market for some time. Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates showed off a prototype of such a device at last year's Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in Seattle. Intel has been touting the ultramobile PC idea as well.

Intel and Microsoft's latest efforts are not the first stab at shrinking the PC. There has long been a class of ultraportable laptops, mostly with around 10-inch screens. There have been a few prior attempts to take the PC even smaller, most notably from OQO and a minitablet introduced this year by Dualcor Technologies. Most of these devices, though, have been priced at about $1,500, which is above the budgets of the average consumer.

The key feature of the new devices, Graff said, is the ability to get the full Internet, with plug-ins and other advanced Web features. Entertainment--including music, movies and TV--is probably the second biggest selling point, he said.

Although Intel has consumers in mind for the ultramobile PCs, Graff said he expects technology enthusiasts, as well as some niche business and education customers, to be the most likely buyers of the first generation of devices, which will sell for under $1,000.

"We expect this to be a real consumer product and to do that, you have to be able to hit real consumer price points," he said.

Intel also found in its testing that the devices appeal to active mothers, who, the chipmaker learned, have schedules similar to corporate road warriors.

"It was something we didn't expect," Graff said.

Microsoft Origami, minitablet PC, ultramobile PC, ultraportable laptop, chip company

I want Pics and Video!!!
Are there any pictures or video from this talk?
Posted by burnettryan (2 comments )
I want Pics and Video!!!
Are there any pictures or video from this talk?
Posted by burnettryan (2 comments )
So basically...
Its a windows PDA that won't fit in my pocket, and runs out of juice in 3 hours. Until they get a reasonable form factor, i'll just stick to lugging around a 15 inch notebook that can do everything I need.
Posted by Rolndubbs (194 comments )
So basically...
Posted by Rolndubbs (194 comments )
Windows Media Center?
Does this use a variant of the Windows media center that we've seen in other devices?
Posted by frankwick (413 comments )
Maybe
Presumably, there will be a flurry of market research by M$ and hardware manufacturers to identify the niches that these Origami devices will fit. I wouldn't be surprised if there are various versions of the device, ranging from base level 'mobile web and email' devices to premium 'media stations.'

Its probably inevitable that M$ will shoehorn some version of Media Center onto the device, if only so it can be used to remotely program home-based MC PCs and stream recorded material from them.

No doubt, it will also be full of time management, personal finance and 'lifestyle' software too.
Posted by JFDMit (180 comments )
Windows Media Center?
Posted by frankwick (413 comments )
Maybe

Posted by JFDMit (180 comments )
Did you mean Etch-a-Sketch-like device?
That thing is butt ugly...
Posted by vSente (6 comments )
etch a sketch patent
etch a sketch needs to sue. they are stealing the design.
Posted by baswwe (299 comments )
Did you mean Etch-a-Sketch-like device?
That thing is butt ugly...
Posted by vSente (6 comments )
etch a sketch patent
etch a sketch needs to sue. they are stealing the design.
Posted by baswwe (299 comments )
Newton in landscape;-)
Looks like a Newton sideways

but with more buttons
Posted by Viv Collins (74 comments )
But...
far more functional. Looks aren't everything.
Posted by VTAlum (30 comments )
Newton in landscape;-)
Looks like a Newton sideways

but with more buttons
Posted by Viv Collins (74 comments )
But...
far more functional. Looks aren't everything.
Posted by VTAlum (30 comments )
Another....
Another crappy product from Windows. How is this supposed to "change my life" or whatever they advertised. This has been the month of disappointments.
Posted by Glorybox3737 (88 comments )
Sorry, I DO want one...
The haters here seem to be missing the usefulness of a device like this, especially for portable media. Let me give you a real-world example. I drive truck, and I'd love a device that would let me record TV on a Media Center PC and take those shows on the road to watch (in the sleeper, of course). I could also take my entire music library, audio books & e-books, and this design even looks like it could be strengthened so I can read e-manuals if I have to do repairs on the road.

This device would also be big enough to incorporate GPS, and the bigger screen is more usable than that of a PDA.

Let's see... easier to carry, easier to run in a confined environment, more capacity than a PDA... it's a no-brainer for me. Where do I sign up?

(PS, Yes, the OQO will do this, too, but it's pretty darn pricey...)
Posted by Thunderbuck (62 comments )
Another....
Posted by Glorybox3737 (88 comments )
Sorry, I DO want one...

(PS, Yes, the OQO will do this, too, but it's pretty darn pricey...)
Posted by Thunderbuck (62 comments )
But can it run OS X?
... and does anybody care???? ;-)
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
No no no
Its "But can it run Linux?"
Impossible
MacOS never has, and never will, run on anything that has not been made, stamped, sealed and delivered by Apple. It is a simple matter of superior technolgy.
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
I care
It looks like a nice device, and if it runs Linux I would like to have one. I still don't understand this obsession with Mac's, it's just o nice GUI, with a 5 years old operating system, or more.
Posted by orfeu_niko (104 comments )
But can it run OS X?
... and does anybody care???? ;-)
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
No no no
Its "But can it run Linux?"
Impossible
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
I care
Posted by orfeu_niko (104 comments )
Message has been deleted.
Posted by debH (13 comments )
I'm not sure...
...that a headset-based speech interface will be a killer app for this type of device. While some people will be willing to walk around with a headset permanently clamped to their heads, the mass market will probably resist such a 'nerdy' accessory for awhile yet.

I do agree that speech recognition is a must have for such a device, however, so this leaves two possibilities that I can think of. First is that headsets need to become so small that they can be incorporated into jewelery or worn invisibly. Second, the speech software needs to be able to be able to pick its owner's speech out of a noisy background environment without requiring special equipment.

While I have no doubt that both technologies will be with us one day, I still think that it will be about 2010 before they are ready for prime time. That will be about the time that Version 3.0 of Origami will be hitting the market, so I'm saving my pennies till then.
Posted by JFDMit (180 comments )
More Info
Intel has more info at this site.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/platform/umpc.htm" target="_newWindow">http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/platform/umpc.htm</a>

Check out the video of possible usage. It has potential.
Posted by bcurtis18 (2 comments )
More Info
Intel has more info at this site.

Check out the video of possible usage. It has potential.
Posted by bcurtis18 (2 comments )
Third time lucky again?
Let me see if I can predict the likely development path of the Origami device. Version 1 will be buggy, barely functional, light on storage and will offer nothing that a modestly priced subnotebook doesn't. And it will cost about a grand.

Version 2 will iron out many of the bugs, add necessary features that should have been in Version 1, but will still be crash-happy and about as useable for serious work as a PSP.

Version 3 will conquer the world and make us all wonder how we ever got along without one. It will have an effective voice interface, a fast and energy efficient processor, a fuel cell power supply that will go for days between 'charges' and seamless 'always on' networking. It will probably also cost near the $500 price point.

Version 3 will probably hit the shops in 2010, so until then, I'll stick with my VAIO TX650 (10.5' x 7.5', 2.5 lbs with a 6 hour battery life).

I applaud Wintel for setting out on the road to truly mobile computing for the masses, but it will be a long time before Origami or its decendents delivers on the promise.
Posted by JFDMit (180 comments )
While you're fantasizing. . .
Yup! About the same time Iraq becomes a Christian theocracy.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
Third time lucky again?

Posted by JFDMit (180 comments )
While you're fantasizing. . .
Yup! About the same time Iraq becomes a Christian theocracy.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
Not for Resale!
It's more likely that what has been displayed is not intended for actual consumer uses.

These devices are meant more as a catalyst to spur product developers and entrepreneurs into working on finding the consumers Sweet Spot for devices like this. Nobody really knows yet.

But, if you rule out the first adopters and vertical market applications, a truly ubiquitous pen based mobile computing platform for the consumer market will not appear until the cost of implementing speech and handwriting recognition comes down. Not just the software cost, but also in hardware cost.

Another $0.02 opinion.
Posted by EmbSysPro (57 comments )
Not for Resale!

Another $0.02 opinion.
Posted by EmbSysPro (57 comments )
Intel to Apple : HELP!
Intel is a great company, but they are in need of some serious GUI / R&#38;D / I.D. from Apple for this "Origaudy-PDA" muck up device...

Intel &#38; Apple will no doubt create an insanley great version of this with Mac OSX Mobile in the future, hopefully with more iPod than Origaudy design &#38; features.
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
Intel to Apple : HELP!

Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
Phone...?
No mention of a phone, but to be useful, it would have to have one.

Otherwise, the benefits of carrying a smartphone by itself (which
themselves have most tablet features) would far outweigh the
benefits of carrying both a standard phone AND an Origami.
Posted by dotmike (154 comments )
Phone...?
No mention of a phone, but to be useful, it would have to have one.

Otherwise, the benefits of carrying a smartphone by itself (which
themselves have most tablet features) would far outweigh the
benefits of carrying both a standard phone AND an Origami.
Posted by dotmike (154 comments )