August 24, 2005 12:22 PM PDT

IM worm speaks your language

A new MSN Messenger worm often talks to people in their own tongue as it hunts for new victims, security experts have warned.

The worm, dubbed Kelvir.HI, tailors the language of its attack message to the compromised system, said David Jaros, the director of product marketing at security vendor Akonix Systems, on Wednesday. It can send messages in English, Dutch, French, German, Greek (English alphabet), Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, Spanish and Turkish, he noted.

"It appears to check which language the Windows client is configured to use," he said. "This is the first time that we have seen a worm that checks the system settings and then sends a specific message."

When it hits an English system, the worm sends out the following message: "haha i found your picture!" The message is sent to everybody on a user's contacts list. The message includes a Web link that when clicked on will download malicious software that installs a backdoor and furthers the spread of the worm, Jaros said.

The worm is a variant of the Kelvir pest that first surfaced in February. To date, there have been 103 variants of Kelvir, according to IM security company Akonix.

The worm spreads via Microsoft's MSN Messenger instant-messaging service and affects computers running Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP, according to a Symantec advisory.

The multilingual Kelvir is a sign that virus developers are getting more inventive and more global in terms of their target market, Jaros said. "They go after not only English speakers, but also other languages. I think we will definitely see more worms that cast a wider net."

Threats to instant messaging and peer-to-peer systems are on the rise, Akonix said. The threats are not only more frequent, but attackers are increasingly morphing their software to circumvent security measures, the company said.

My keyboard is getting a workout, bashing Windows
As if I havent had enough fodder for flogging Bill Gates and his
lousy group of software packages, Windows, IE, and of course
MSN Messenger, or is that just MESS for short?!! Haha. No
sooner than I have submitted a slap up side the head on one
post on CNET or ZDNet, good old MSFT gives me another chance
to try to extol the virtues of Apple Macintosh, and the absolute
mindless lemming-like following of Windows users, as they
hope the next Windows actually comes close to being like OS X.
If you would quit buying a PC then MS would get smarter and
maybe improve the OS by rewriting it from scratch. Maybe get
rid of the idiotic thing called the Registry, and build in some
security and less whistles and bells. You know, features that
would make the whole Web experience better for all Internet
users. But so long as the average, I did mean average, user
continues to buy another PC, and another, then Bill will be smart
and keep laughing on the way to the bank with another
"suckers" money. They dont need to change the software if the
user base is ignorant enough to keep making excuses for it, do
they? Theres one born every minute, step right up.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
Funny, my keyboard getting a workout
doing work. But then again, I use Windows, so that might explain the difference in our accomplishments.
Posted by catchall (245 comments )
Facts
1. Rewriting an OS from scratch.

Apple has never done this so what are you on about?

2. Registry

MacOS X has a registry like structure called NetInfo so what are you on about?

3. MSN

MSN is not Windows so what are you on about?

Know your enemy. You should do some research so you have more facts and less attitude.
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Work Your fingers To The Bone
If this is what gets your jollies off, then about all you can expect out of life is boney fingers.
Posted by BR-549 (20 comments )
My keyboard is getting a workout, bashing Windows
As if I havent had enough fodder for flogging Bill Gates and his
lousy group of software packages, Windows, IE, and of course
MSN Messenger, or is that just MESS for short?!! Haha. No
sooner than I have submitted a slap up side the head on one
post on CNET or ZDNet, good old MSFT gives me another chance
to try to extol the virtues of Apple Macintosh, and the absolute
mindless lemming-like following of Windows users, as they
hope the next Windows actually comes close to being like OS X.
If you would quit buying a PC then MS would get smarter and
maybe improve the OS by rewriting it from scratch. Maybe get
rid of the idiotic thing called the Registry, and build in some
security and less whistles and bells. You know, features that
would make the whole Web experience better for all Internet
users. But so long as the average, I did mean average, user
continues to buy another PC, and another, then Bill will be smart
and keep laughing on the way to the bank with another
"suckers" money. They dont need to change the software if the
user base is ignorant enough to keep making excuses for it, do
they? Theres one born every minute, step right up.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
Funny, my keyboard getting a workout
Posted by catchall (245 comments )
Facts
1. Rewriting an OS from scratch.

Apple has never done this so what are you on about?

2. Registry

MacOS X has a registry like structure called NetInfo so what are you on about?

3. MSN

MSN is not Windows so what are you on about?

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Work Your fingers To The Bone
Posted by BR-549 (20 comments )
My keyboard is getting a workout, bashing Windows
As if I havent had enough fodder for flogging Bill Gates and his
lousy group of software packages, Windows, IE, and of course
MSN Messenger, or is that just MESS for short?!! Haha. No
sooner than I have submitted a slap up side the head on one
post on CNET or ZDNet, good old MSFT gives me another chance
to try to extol the virtues of Apple Macintosh, and the absolute
mindless lemming-like following of Windows users, as they
hope the next Windows actually comes close to being like OS X.
If you would quit buying a PC then MS would get smarter and
maybe improve the OS by rewriting it from scratch. Maybe get
rid of the idiotic thing called the Registry, and build in some
security and less whistles and bells. You know, features that
would make the whole Web experience better for all Internet
users. But so long as the average, I did mean average, user
continues to buy another PC, and another, then Bill will be smart
and keep laughing on the way to the bank with another
"suckers" money. They dont need to change the software if the
user base is ignorant enough to keep making excuses for it, do
they? Theres one born every minute, step right up.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
Funny, my keyboard getting a workout
Posted by catchall (245 comments )
Facts
1. Rewriting an OS from scratch.

Apple has never done this so what are you on about?

2. Registry

MacOS X has a registry like structure called NetInfo so what are you on about?

3. MSN

MSN is not Windows so what are you on about?

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Work Your fingers To The Bone
Posted by BR-549 (20 comments )
My keyboard is getting a workout, bashing Windows
As if I havent had enough fodder for flogging Bill Gates and his
lousy group of software packages, Windows, IE, and of course
MSN Messenger, or is that just MESS for short?!! Haha. No
sooner than I have submitted a slap up side the head on one
post on CNET or ZDNet, good old MSFT gives me another chance
to try to extol the virtues of Apple Macintosh, and the absolute
mindless lemming-like following of Windows users, as they
hope the next Windows actually comes close to being like OS X.
If you would quit buying a PC then MS would get smarter and
maybe improve the OS by rewriting it from scratch. Maybe get
rid of the idiotic thing called the Registry, and build in some
security and less whistles and bells. You know, features that
would make the whole Web experience better for all Internet
users. But so long as the average, I did mean average, user
continues to buy another PC, and another, then Bill will be smart
and keep laughing on the way to the bank with another
"suckers" money. They dont need to change the software if the
user base is ignorant enough to keep making excuses for it, do
they? Theres one born every minute, step right up.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
Funny, my keyboard getting a workout
Posted by catchall (245 comments )
Facts
1. Rewriting an OS from scratch.

Apple has never done this so what are you on about?

2. Registry

MacOS X has a registry like structure called NetInfo so what are you on about?

3. MSN

MSN is not Windows so what are you on about?

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Work Your fingers To The Bone
Posted by BR-549 (20 comments )
Messenger Registry OS from scratch, my facts, your fiction
Mac OS has no Registry, NetInfo is nothing of the sort, any
application that comes into OS X resides in 3 places, the
Applications folder if you installed it there, and 2 library folders
which have reasonable names that you can identify, not
something like Regserv234856265A-23644621GH291968274
ala Windows Registry. No I guess OS X isnt from scratch, it does
ride on FreeBSD, known as secure and reliable as the foundation,
whereas Windows rides on nothing of the same sort.
Disingenious at best, and offered to the unknowing masses as
more than it is. They dont know any better. And MSN Messenger
isnt Windows, no it isnt, BUT it is taking the weakness of the
host platform and allowing more infiltration into the wonderful,
secure OS that some IT guys feel so confident about "working" to
keep propped up. If you guys did your job as bad as Bill Gates
and MSFT, I would have fired you long ago. I let my PCs sit in
the OFF position, or was that the Hibernate, or StandBy position,
jeez so many choices, how about making life simple, so you can
have a life. Well I will take the day off and get on my way to the
beach to tan my bony knuckles, and play some games with the
beach bunnies. While you go patch a PC.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
NetInfo Part IV
With your last post you prove your lack of PC knowledge. The registry is not where programs are stored, it is just a system data storage area. Just like NetInfo is. Even Earl Benser agrees that it is used for some system settings, although he does debate its inportance.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://news.cbsi.com/5208-1046-0.html?forumID=1&#38;threadID=7933&#38;messageID=55218&#38;start=-170" target="_newWindow">http://news.cbsi.com/5208-1046-0.html?forumID=1&#38;threadID=7933&#38;messageID=55218&#38;start=-170</a>

There is no need to use the Registry for most functions, the only thing my programs use it for is for uninstall data and for file assosciation.

Windows NT actually is based on another OS. It a re-coded version of VMS, with the engineers and the lawsuit to prove it. It is kind of like how Linux is new, but based on UNIX. MacOS X simply uses BSD because they did not have the skills to write what they needed in the time that they had. I would not be surpised if MacOS XI will not be based on BSD.

The "while you go patch a PC" line is a bit of a laugh. There have been MacOS X updates almost once a month lately. You must have been joking. I hope you are also joking about the tan part however. Not a good idea these days.
Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Messenger Registry OS from scratch, my facts, your fiction
Mac OS has no Registry, NetInfo is nothing of the sort, any
application that comes into OS X resides in 3 places, the
Applications folder if you installed it there, and 2 library folders
which have reasonable names that you can identify, not
something like Regserv234856265A-23644621GH291968274
ala Windows Registry. No I guess OS X isnt from scratch, it does
ride on FreeBSD, known as secure and reliable as the foundation,
whereas Windows rides on nothing of the same sort.
Disingenious at best, and offered to the unknowing masses as
more than it is. They dont know any better. And MSN Messenger
isnt Windows, no it isnt, BUT it is taking the weakness of the
host platform and allowing more infiltration into the wonderful,
secure OS that some IT guys feel so confident about "working" to
keep propped up. If you guys did your job as bad as Bill Gates
and MSFT, I would have fired you long ago. I let my PCs sit in
the OFF position, or was that the Hibernate, or StandBy position,
jeez so many choices, how about making life simple, so you can
have a life. Well I will take the day off and get on my way to the
beach to tan my bony knuckles, and play some games with the
beach bunnies. While you go patch a PC.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
NetInfo Part IV

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Messenger Registry OS from scratch, my facts, your fiction
Mac OS has no Registry, NetInfo is nothing of the sort, any
application that comes into OS X resides in 3 places, the
Applications folder if you installed it there, and 2 library folders
which have reasonable names that you can identify, not
something like Regserv234856265A-23644621GH291968274
ala Windows Registry. No I guess OS X isnt from scratch, it does
ride on FreeBSD, known as secure and reliable as the foundation,
whereas Windows rides on nothing of the same sort.
Disingenious at best, and offered to the unknowing masses as
more than it is. They dont know any better. And MSN Messenger
isnt Windows, no it isnt, BUT it is taking the weakness of the
host platform and allowing more infiltration into the wonderful,
secure OS that some IT guys feel so confident about "working" to
keep propped up. If you guys did your job as bad as Bill Gates
and MSFT, I would have fired you long ago. I let my PCs sit in
the OFF position, or was that the Hibernate, or StandBy position,
jeez so many choices, how about making life simple, so you can
have a life. Well I will take the day off and get on my way to the
beach to tan my bony knuckles, and play some games with the
beach bunnies. While you go patch a PC.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
NetInfo Part IV

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )
Messenger Registry OS from scratch, my facts, your fiction
Mac OS has no Registry, NetInfo is nothing of the sort, any
application that comes into OS X resides in 3 places, the
Applications folder if you installed it there, and 2 library folders
which have reasonable names that you can identify, not
something like Regserv234856265A-23644621GH291968274
ala Windows Registry. No I guess OS X isnt from scratch, it does
ride on FreeBSD, known as secure and reliable as the foundation,
whereas Windows rides on nothing of the same sort.
Disingenious at best, and offered to the unknowing masses as
more than it is. They dont know any better. And MSN Messenger
isnt Windows, no it isnt, BUT it is taking the weakness of the
host platform and allowing more infiltration into the wonderful,
secure OS that some IT guys feel so confident about "working" to
keep propped up. If you guys did your job as bad as Bill Gates
and MSFT, I would have fired you long ago. I let my PCs sit in
the OFF position, or was that the Hibernate, or StandBy position,
jeez so many choices, how about making life simple, so you can
have a life. Well I will take the day off and get on my way to the
beach to tan my bony knuckles, and play some games with the
beach bunnies. While you go patch a PC.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
NetInfo Part IV

Posted by Andrew J Glina (1673 comments )