August 30, 2005 4:00 AM PDT

Hollywood, Microsoft align on new Windows

(continued from previous page)

linked to the computer, and through what kind of connection, and decide whether the content can be encrypted or otherwise protected over that link.

If the answer is "no," in the case of high-resolution Video Graphics Array (VGA) connections, or some early Digital Video Interface connections, the computer could shut down output of video altogether through those plugs, if the content owners require that.

Alternately, Vista will include a "constriction" feature that can decrease the resolution of high-definition video on the fly, outputting a version that is slightly fuzzier (about the same as today's DVDs) than the pristine original. This can be used as an alternative to blocking a connection altogether, if a content company won't let high-definition video play over the lower-security outputs.

"I think it is going to take time for the labels and the application vendors--not just Microsoft--to find a middle ground."
--John Paddleford, lead program manager, Microsoft

This feature won't affect most HD televisions, which typically are already shipped with secure connection technologies. PC monitors have been slower to adopt tools such as Intel's HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) that support secure connections, however.

Most of these advanced copy-protection features in Vista are designed to apply to high-definition content and are unlikely to change the way today's DVDs or broadcast-quality content is played, Microsoft says.

Labels lack copy-protected CD support
A similar process will happen for copy-protected audio files, potentially encrypting the audio until it leaves the computer, and offering the ability to turn off specific outputs if content owners deem them insecure.

For the last year, record labels have sought additional features in the operating system that would make playing copy-protected CDs a more streamlined experience. But so far, Microsoft has not added any features specifically supporting these new CDs, saying that the technology isn't yet mature, and that other companies--Apple Computer and other music software companies included--also need to be involved.

"We're seeing digital distribution move at a rapid enough pace that the rules for which people access content today across the music services are very consistent," said John Paddleford, lead program manager for the Microsoft team that works directly with content companies. "This is what we're driving the labels to reach on the CD itself, so there's a consistent consumer experience. I think it is going to take time for the labels and the application vendors--not just Microsoft--to find a middle ground."

A spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America, which has engaged in discussions with Microsoft on this issue, declined to comment.

Sensitive subject
Microsoft is aware that the high level of protection--which could result in some monitors and TVs not playing high-definition content at full resolution--could spark criticism and confusion.

The company is quick to say that this has not been a case of studios dictating policy to programmers.

"The studios are very good about not trying to design software," Paddleford said. "I've never had a studio say, 'We need an API (application programming interface) that does this.' But they do talk about, 'Well, we want to make sure that our theatrical content doesn't get played in any place but a theater.'"

For their part, studio executives say they haven't been involved in the intimate details, but are happy to see what Microsoft has done.

"The greatest problem in existing operating systems is that content is in the clear across certain interfaces," said Chris Cookson, chief technology officer for Warner Bros. "They've undertaken to improve that, which everyone was glad to see."

Previous page
Page 1 | 2

content company, copy protection, antipiracy, studio, Hollywood

What about the users?
<i>in short, the company is bending over backward--and investing considerable technological resources--to make sure Hollywood studios are happy with the next version of Windows</i>

I mean is this what the users really want?
Posted by volterwd (466 comments )
Do you want to watch first-run movies at home?
Then there needs to be some protection in place. A $100 million dollar movie is expensive.
Posted by ordaj (338 comments )
The answer
The answer immediately follows your quote.

"The table is already set," said Marcus Matthias. "We can come in
and eat at the buffet, or we can stand outside and wash cars."

IOW Microsoft is goiing in to eat at the buffet, leaving the users to
deal with the mess (wash the cars). At least that's how I read it.
Posted by taznar (45 comments )
Vista not stopping me mister.
If I get content, I'm going to play it.
If I get an OS I expect that OS to play it the way I want. Any type of Vista Features such as content degregration and locking will be fixed within a month after release. A PC is not a vending mashine.

The good thing is there's a current competition to see which hacking group will fix Vista as soon as it's released. So not to worry.
Posted by zbeast (38 comments )
What about the users?

I mean is this what the users really want?
Posted by volterwd (466 comments )
Do you want to watch first-run movies at home?
Posted by ordaj (338 comments )
The answer
The answer immediately follows your quote.

"The table is already set," said Marcus Matthias. "We can come in
and eat at the buffet, or we can stand outside and wash cars."

IOW Microsoft is goiing in to eat at the buffet, leaving the users to
deal with the mess (wash the cars). At least that's how I read it.
Posted by taznar (45 comments )
Vista not stopping me mister.
If I get content, I'm going to play it.

Posted by zbeast (38 comments )
What about the users?

I mean is this what the users really want?
Posted by volterwd (466 comments )
Do you want to watch first-run movies at home?
Posted by ordaj (338 comments )
The answer
The answer immediately follows your quote.

"The table is already set," said Marcus Matthias. "We can come in
and eat at the buffet, or we can stand outside and wash cars."

IOW Microsoft is goiing in to eat at the buffet, leaving the users to
deal with the mess (wash the cars). At least that's how I read it.
Posted by taznar (45 comments )
Vista not stopping me mister.
If I get content, I'm going to play it.

Posted by zbeast (38 comments )
What about the users?

I mean is this what the users really want?
Posted by volterwd (466 comments )
Do you want to watch first-run movies at home?
Posted by ordaj (338 comments )
The answer
The answer immediately follows your quote.

"The table is already set," said Marcus Matthias. "We can come in
and eat at the buffet, or we can stand outside and wash cars."

IOW Microsoft is goiing in to eat at the buffet, leaving the users to
deal with the mess (wash the cars). At least that's how I read it.
Posted by taznar (45 comments )
Vista not stopping me mister.
If I get content, I'm going to play it.

Posted by zbeast (38 comments )
Bill Gates could care less about his Ignorant user base
Since PC users (er losers) keep buying his junk then he can keep
looking for ways to grab money from another source since he
has already got that 90% of the world fooled. He isnt going to fix
winblows, he is going to side up with hollywood and waste some
of their time and money next. It would really be in everyone's
best interest to buy American, get a Mac, just like Mom and hot
dogs and baseball. The time to dump Windows is NOW, its just
plain useless to hope it will get better, 10 years have shown you
it WONT. What a shame PC users are stuck like this. A shame
the government didnt sue these hucksters at Microsoft long ago,
maybe the terrorists will use MSFT against us sometime soon,
and THEN "Maybe" many of you PC losers will get smart and get
off winblows for good. it just plain sucks.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
huh?
Last time I checked, Bill and MS were very much American institutions. For that matter, so is Dell. So get off the Mac soapbox and reply with comments that actually apply and make sense.

Not that dumping MS is a bad idea...
Posted by skeptik (590 comments )
That doesn't...
make you sound smart and nobody is going to take you seriously with comments like that.

On the other hand Microsoft only cares about the bottom line just like every other business who's trying to make money, including Apple. Notice here that I didn't say anything about Bill or Steve (Jobs). Bill is a competitor and he makes no bones about doing just about anything to win. Steve (Jobs) narcissistic about Apple. I can't tell you what Bill and Steve really feel down deep inside, but at the end of the day they both are trying to make money. The only real difference is that Apple could have been were Microsoft is today, but took a different path instead. I don't mean that to be good or bad either.

As a whole I am glad to see Apple fighting for the top and I am also glad to see other companies (Sun and Linux) trying to make way into Microsoft territory. Competition is good most of the time.

None of them really care for the end user though. We are faceless consumers. Now don't get me wrong, if they new each of us personally that would be different, but when was the last time you cared about some guy walking down the street you never met before?
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Are you drunk?
What are you talking about? Windows is a very good operating system, and XP in particular. I have NEVER had Windows XP blue screen out. Actually, I haven't had ANY Windows blue-screen since Windows 3.11. Even Windows 95 OSR 1, which everyone said was buggy as hell, NEVER crashed on me, unless I TRIED to make it crash when I was testing a program.
I will buy Vista, video controls or no, I will just complain and sue the people who make the content if they do not make it CLEAR that their things will not play on Vista unless you have a Microsoft-certified Video Card.
Posted by Leria (585 comments )
Thanks for the insult
I find your comment rather insulting and offensive. I am a Windows user and also a Linux user. There was a time when Apple had the opportunity to take control of the PC market, but they chose instead to keep their equipment and operating system proprietary and unaffordable for the average user. They're doing the same with the I-Pod and I predict that as soon as good and less expensive alternatives are available the public will leave Apple in the cold again.

Chances are that Windows popularity will decrease in favor of Linux. Apple MIGHT see a small gain, but many people, myself will stick with Windows XP and refuse to upgrade to Vista.

Hollywood needs to re-evaluate it's business model now, before it is too late. Theatre owners need to get rid of the advertisements and try to draw customers back. I love going to the theatre. There is nothing like seeing a great movie on the big screen, but several times I have been tempted to walk out when that Toyota ad came on. Oh, and by the way MPAA, you're after the wrong people when you show that piracy clip. I paid to see the movie therefore I supported you. I want to see the feature at the time indicated on the marquee.
Posted by MythicalMe (51 comments )
Bill Gates could care less about his Ignorant user base
Since PC users (er losers) keep buying his junk then he can keep
looking for ways to grab money from another source since he
has already got that 90% of the world fooled. He isnt going to fix
winblows, he is going to side up with hollywood and waste some
of their time and money next. It would really be in everyone's
best interest to buy American, get a Mac, just like Mom and hot
dogs and baseball. The time to dump Windows is NOW, its just
plain useless to hope it will get better, 10 years have shown you
it WONT. What a shame PC users are stuck like this. A shame
the government didnt sue these hucksters at Microsoft long ago,
maybe the terrorists will use MSFT against us sometime soon,
and THEN "Maybe" many of you PC losers will get smart and get
off winblows for good. it just plain sucks.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
huh?

Not that dumping MS is a bad idea...
Posted by skeptik (590 comments )
That doesn't...

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Are you drunk?
Posted by Leria (585 comments )
Thanks for the insult

Posted by MythicalMe (51 comments )
Bill Gates could care less about his Ignorant user base
Since PC users (er losers) keep buying his junk then he can keep
looking for ways to grab money from another source since he
has already got that 90% of the world fooled. He isnt going to fix
winblows, he is going to side up with hollywood and waste some
of their time and money next. It would really be in everyone's
best interest to buy American, get a Mac, just like Mom and hot
dogs and baseball. The time to dump Windows is NOW, its just
plain useless to hope it will get better, 10 years have shown you
it WONT. What a shame PC users are stuck like this. A shame
the government didnt sue these hucksters at Microsoft long ago,
maybe the terrorists will use MSFT against us sometime soon,
and THEN "Maybe" many of you PC losers will get smart and get
off winblows for good. it just plain sucks.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
huh?

Not that dumping MS is a bad idea...
Posted by skeptik (590 comments )
That doesn't...

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Are you drunk?
Posted by Leria (585 comments )
Thanks for the insult

Posted by MythicalMe (51 comments )
Bill Gates could care less about his Ignorant user base
Since PC users (er losers) keep buying his junk then he can keep
looking for ways to grab money from another source since he
has already got that 90% of the world fooled. He isnt going to fix
winblows, he is going to side up with hollywood and waste some
of their time and money next. It would really be in everyone's
best interest to buy American, get a Mac, just like Mom and hot
dogs and baseball. The time to dump Windows is NOW, its just
plain useless to hope it will get better, 10 years have shown you
it WONT. What a shame PC users are stuck like this. A shame
the government didnt sue these hucksters at Microsoft long ago,
maybe the terrorists will use MSFT against us sometime soon,
and THEN "Maybe" many of you PC losers will get smart and get
off winblows for good. it just plain sucks.
Posted by educateme (101 comments )
huh?

Not that dumping MS is a bad idea...
Posted by skeptik (590 comments )
That doesn't...

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Are you drunk?
Posted by Leria (585 comments )
Thanks for the insult

Posted by MythicalMe (51 comments )
Unprecedented Levels of Suck
Why doesn't Microsoft build in unprecedented levels of safeguards
against security attacks? But it doesn't what they do to combat
piracy or security attacks it will easily defeated. The record is clear.
Posted by cjohn17 (268 comments )
M$=Keystone Kops of Security
Microsoft and security are an oxymoron. They always let the
programmer do any DAMN thing s/he wants, hardly ever even
BOTHER to ask the USER (it's easier to program that way, you
know).

I mean, you are absolutely right, M$ track record is totally
ridiculous. I guess the Hollywood types are coked-up to believe
anything from MS. I would argue that M$ do have geeks in
mind though, it seems they are only loyal to the programmers
and geek/nerds, they could care less about the average
consumer/worker though. Real truth is M$ has probably
figured out a great revenue stream (maybe hollywood has
decided to PAY M$ per copy?)

I guess MS are going to make audio/video inseparably
integrated into the OS. Ha ha ha... Maybe their lapdogs at the
DOJ/Bush administration will believe it though.
Posted by Byronic (95 comments )
Unprecedented Levels of Suck
Why doesn't Microsoft build in unprecedented levels of safeguards
against security attacks? But it doesn't what they do to combat
piracy or security attacks it will easily defeated. The record is clear.
Posted by cjohn17 (268 comments )
M$=Keystone Kops of Security
Microsoft and security are an oxymoron. They always let the
programmer do any DAMN thing s/he wants, hardly ever even
BOTHER to ask the USER (it's easier to program that way, you
know).

I mean, you are absolutely right, M$ track record is totally
ridiculous. I guess the Hollywood types are coked-up to believe
anything from MS. I would argue that M$ do have geeks in
mind though, it seems they are only loyal to the programmers
and geek/nerds, they could care less about the average
consumer/worker though. Real truth is M$ has probably
figured out a great revenue stream (maybe hollywood has
decided to PAY M$ per copy?)

I guess MS are going to make audio/video inseparably
integrated into the OS. Ha ha ha... Maybe their lapdogs at the
DOJ/Bush administration will believe it though.
Posted by Byronic (95 comments )
Unprecedented Levels of Suck
Why doesn't Microsoft build in unprecedented levels of safeguards
against security attacks? But it doesn't what they do to combat
piracy or security attacks it will easily defeated. The record is clear.
Posted by cjohn17 (268 comments )
M$=Keystone Kops of Security
Microsoft and security are an oxymoron. They always let the
programmer do any DAMN thing s/he wants, hardly ever even
BOTHER to ask the USER (it's easier to program that way, you
know).

I mean, you are absolutely right, M$ track record is totally
ridiculous. I guess the Hollywood types are coked-up to believe
anything from MS. I would argue that M$ do have geeks in
mind though, it seems they are only loyal to the programmers
and geek/nerds, they could care less about the average
consumer/worker though. Real truth is M$ has probably
figured out a great revenue stream (maybe hollywood has
decided to PAY M$ per copy?)

I guess MS are going to make audio/video inseparably
integrated into the OS. Ha ha ha... Maybe their lapdogs at the
DOJ/Bush administration will believe it though.
Posted by Byronic (95 comments )
Unprecedented Levels of Suck
Why doesn't Microsoft build in unprecedented levels of safeguards
against security attacks? But it doesn't what they do to combat
piracy or security attacks it will easily defeated. The record is clear.
Posted by cjohn17 (268 comments )
M$=Keystone Kops of Security
Microsoft and security are an oxymoron. They always let the
programmer do any DAMN thing s/he wants, hardly ever even
BOTHER to ask the USER (it's easier to program that way, you
know).

I mean, you are absolutely right, M$ track record is totally
ridiculous. I guess the Hollywood types are coked-up to believe
anything from MS. I would argue that M$ do have geeks in
mind though, it seems they are only loyal to the programmers
and geek/nerds, they could care less about the average
consumer/worker though. Real truth is M$ has probably
figured out a great revenue stream (maybe hollywood has
decided to PAY M$ per copy?)

I guess MS are going to make audio/video inseparably
integrated into the OS. Ha ha ha... Maybe their lapdogs at the
DOJ/Bush administration will believe it though.
Posted by Byronic (95 comments )
Not for me thank you
My one remaining windows PC will just have to keep running XP
and eventually get loaded with linux.

I hope Apple doesn't get this stupid but I fear they might as well.
Posted by miketkrw (86 comments )
Not for me thank you
My one remaining windows PC will just have to keep running XP
and eventually get loaded with linux.

I hope Apple doesn't get this stupid but I fear they might as well.
Posted by miketkrw (86 comments )
Not for me thank you
My one remaining windows PC will just have to keep running XP
and eventually get loaded with linux.

I hope Apple doesn't get this stupid but I fear they might as well.
Posted by miketkrw (86 comments )
Not for me thank you
My one remaining windows PC will just have to keep running XP
and eventually get loaded with linux.

I hope Apple doesn't get this stupid but I fear they might as well.
Posted by miketkrw (86 comments )
Barring users...
...from audio and vidio registries will not hinder hackers from using them, it'll just make it harder for the user and Broken Windows to fix.
Barring users...
Barring users...
Barring users...
What they haven't realized
I have to admit, I was looking forward to Vista (despite the fact that it is an unnecessary new version of the OS), but not anymore. If Microsoft is going to limit what I can do with my PC then I might as well stick with Linux, and use Windows only for the occasional DVD I like to watch on my PC (Note: there are currently no legal DVD players for Linux). Oh yeah, the PC will be "center of entertainment hub" of the future indeed. I put in my DVD but I can't watch it, because Microsoft deemed that my hardware is too old to run it. I have to buy the hardware that Microsoft wants me to buy, or not be able to watch my movies, or just see crappy low-definition versions. I wonder why the honest PC user always ends up paying for the crimes of the dishonest ones? But because one is evil, then all are evil and must be controlled. They must be stripped of all freedom.
Posted by Sentinel (199 comments )
Linspire
It is my understanding that Linspire offers a legal DVD player for thier distribution of Linux.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
What they haven't realized
Posted by Sentinel (199 comments )
Linspire
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
What they haven't realized
Posted by Sentinel (199 comments )
Linspire
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
What they haven't realized
Posted by Sentinel (199 comments )
Linspire
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
The Beginning of the End...
Microsoft is the dominant player in the PC market because their system was "pirate-able" and because they allowed the geeks the ability to reasonably do what they wanted with the system. When the geeks can no longer do what they want with the system, they will switch to another and when the average consumer sees what a geek can do and they can't. The consumers will follow the geeks. Does Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter) really believe they can out-smart 1,000,000+ hackers and hacker wannabes. The smart thing for MS to do would be to embrace the open source model. They could make linux disappear and even the rabid Mac fans ocillate. But that won't happen.

Mark your calendars. In 5 years will all be complaining about the stabilty of the latest linux release. But we won't be using Windows.
Posted by GHogge (4 comments )