September 13, 2004 3:26 PM PDT

Firefox browser to hit 1.0 milestone

Related Stories

Browser campaign slams IE

August 24, 2004
Barring any last-minute surprises, the Firefox Web browser on Tuesday will turn 1.0.

Although the release is technically a preview, the 1.0 version is a significant milestone for the free open-source browser software, which has already won an enthusiastic following as an alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

"Today's builds are the new candidate 1.0PR (preview release) builds," Asa Dotzler, the Mozilla Foundation's community quality advocate, wrote in a Web log posting Saturday night. "If all goes well with these builds, they'll become the official Firefox 1.0 Preview Release builds on Tuesday morning."

Spun off last summer by AOL Time Warner, the Mozilla Foundation is the open-source group that produces both Firefox and its predecessor, the Mozilla browser.

Mozilla spokesman Bart Decrem confirmed that the group was aiming for a Tuesday morning release, with the caveat that quality control problems could still delay the launch.

"It's always possible that we discover some showstopper issue this afternoon," Decrem said. "But (a Tuesday morning release) is the plan."

The launch of the 1.0 preview is the latest in a series of advances for Firefox. First known as "Phoenix" and then as "Firebird," the browser was created as a response to complaints that the original Mozilla browser suffered from code bloat.

Lauded for its comparatively small size and its early introduction of browser tabs and a pop-up blocker, Firefox has won both fans and a handful of prizes in its run as a pre-1.0 product.

Despite suffering security problems of its own, Mozilla has gained in stature, if not numbers, as Internet Explorer has taken increasing heat for security woes.

The U.S. government's computer security group in June advised people to avoid using IE as one way of evading a number of security problems. This weekend, an IT security official for the German government sounded a similar warning for Germans who use online banking.

For its part, Microsoft made substantial security changes to IE in its Service Pack 2 release last month, despite having sworn off development of the standalone browser last summer.

With IE taking a beating on security woes and its dearth of new features, Firefox has gained corporate fans, such as cell phone maker Nokia, that are attracted to the browser's comparatively small size and (free) price tag.

The browser has also proved popular among open-source groups. Developers at the K Desktop Environment, a group working on a Linux-based user interface, late last month ported Gecko--the browsing engine that underlies Mozilla's various browsers--to KDE. The port means that the browser will have the look and feel of a KDE application and can render Web pages for KDE's Konqueror browser and file manager.

Mozilla called the KDE port a step toward its cross-platform goals.

"We have done one Linux build, one Windows build and one Mac build to keep our lives manageable," Decrem said. "The KDE community is now taking the initiative to improve integration with KDE, and we are delighted."

A Great Browser
This is great.

Im a big firefox fanatic. When I was told of this great browser I ditched Internet Exploder in wonderment of its popup blocker and secure features. Microsoft has something to definately worry about. I mean come on Firefox is now reaching 1.0 and Microcrap is where....version 6.0 and they still have holes in thier security? I hope everyone starts migrating soon and then we can get rid of most of the hacking problems.
Posted by Hawkster78 (7 comments )
Firefox since 2003 : few bugs in early builds
Firefox had so few bugs; it was hard to believe that version 0.90 was not their "1.0 release canditate".

There is only one site for which I don't use Firefox: Microsoft updates. Who needs IE for anything else?
Posted by Heymull (13 comments )
Just to clear up some confusion
This, the 1.0 Preview Release (aka 1.0PR), is NOT the same as the final 1.0 version. While I believe 1.0PR is the most stable release yet, it is still not considered a final product. Of course, its much more stable and secure than IE, but that's another story altogether! ;)
Posted by LinkTiger-gmail (1 comment )
they achieved that goal at .1
"Of course, its much more stable and secure than IE, but that's another story altogether!"

Heh they achieved that goal at .1 ;) :)
Posted by Jonathan (832 comments )
No firefox 1.0 tomorrow!
Article says:

Sorry, but that's not correct. Firefox 1.0 PR (Preview release) would come out tomorrow. Firefox 1.0 is atleast a month away.
Posted by vfwlkr (1 comment )
Mozilla ROCKS !
Ever since I bought my newest computer, a P4 @ 3.0 Gig, I have used Mozillaware on it. I have always been more than pleased by its ease of use & the pop-up blocker that's built into it.
I hope that the new Firefox 1.0 is a success, but I really like Mozilla 1.7.2, my current browser.
The Mozilla website said that they would retire the old Mozilla browser as the standard, once the Firefox browser became 1.0. I hope not, but I am eager to try the new browser. Lets see what they've got !!!
Posted by Jon N. (182 comments )
Is your fact checker on vacation or what? NO 1.0 TODAY!!!
It's called a press release. Try reading one sometime:

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-09-14-02.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-09-14-02.html</a>

I dunno about you, but big shiny capital words like 'PREVIEW
RELEASE' AND 'NEARS 1.0' kinda stand out, eh?

Idiots.
Posted by ProfessorDino (14 comments )
Psh >>
What did I mean when I said "nearing" 1.0 Take your own advice and R-E-A-D.

The world is full of morons. Somebody should make a move and put them all on an island...then launch the nuke ^^.
Posted by Hawkster78 (7 comments )
Not that easy to ditch IE
This is because it is so tightly woven into the OS itself, that any IE vulnerability quickly becomes an OS vulnerability.

So, even the act of switching over to Firefox won't necessarily get all of us out of the security nightmares that comes with IE. Think of all the hooks IE has into the OS and the apps installed on your PC - you don't necessarily have to be running IE for the exploit to automatically kick in, it'll do so when any of your Apps, or a Windows API triggers IE to run!

Still, running Firefox instead of IE for browsing should still address MOST, but not all, of the security concerns.
Posted by Tex Murphy PI (165 comments )
not really
When you say that running FireFox will take care of security problems, you are obviously assuming that FireFox has no security issues of its own. I find this highly unlikely. FireFox is JAB(Just Another Browser), and it seems that no one browser is perfect or complete enough to satisfy everybody. Although, despite its flaws, I still find IE to be the most usable browser available.
Posted by David Arbogast (1709 comments )
disabling IE is easy
Just set your firewall to block IE and Windows Explorer(IE in disguise).
Posted by tim__w (14 comments )
Yah and how about the other IE versions out there?
Microsoft made substantial security changes to IE in its Service Pack 2 release last month, despite having sworn off development of the standalone browser last summer."

You and MS share the same dream world. What? Do you think the majority of Windows users are on XP?! How about an update to IE for '98, NT, '2K?
Right NOW Firefox is available for all these platforms and more and you don't have to worry about whether or not the mozilla is going to ever release an update for their browser on platform X.
The people who continue to support MS and their craptasic browser astonish me. I tie them into the same people who support Bush on blind, deaf, and dumb faith. They overlook the major flaws, security holes, lack of any real updates for the last 4 years and simply love it because. Er&.because&well I know there is a reason out there somewhere. Right?
FireFox isn't perfect. But its got momentum behind it that MS doesn't.
1. Its open source. Which basically means more eyes on the code. There will invariably be more holes found in the future but at least the code is OUT THERE. It can only get better with time.
2. Its capabilities blow IE out of the water. The plug-in capabilities provide a flexibility MS does NOT have.
3. There's a company behind the browser that actually gives a damn. What? You think MS gives a crap about IE? From the very beginning it's always been a means to an end. Stability, security, features always has played second string once they won the browser war. IE6 is a slagging POS.

I've tried Mozilla over the years. Time and again I went back to IE because of how crappy that browser was/is. Phoenix, Firebird, and FireFox is a breath of fresh air. I don't have to worry about any sketchy websites I go to. I don't have to worry that I'm going to get ad/spyware. I don't have to worry that I've got to rush home and update all of my computers to the latest IE patch. Simply put I don't have to worry.
Posted by Jonathan (832 comments )
I"ve been IE and spyware and adware free for
2 months now, and I have no idea how anyone can use IE. I'm not a computer, guy, just a normal pc user and FF saved my pc life. Before FF my pc was all messed up, now it's smooth sailing, and forget waiting for 1.0, just get it now. It even imports your IE bookmarks, and settings over to FF. Only thing you need IE for is windows update..
Posted by saleen351 (36 comments )
windows update
Is there an extention out there to mask your browser (Firefox or Opera) as IE? I wonder if windows update would still work.
Posted by tim__w (14 comments )
Whatever
Why should I? You apparently own all the time shares to that island.
Posted by Hawkster78 (7 comments )
Oops sorry
That was meant for an earlier comment sorry.
Posted by Hawkster78 (7 comments )
Firefox, Mozilla, etc...
Nothing against IE, but, I've been using either Firefox, Netscape &#38; Mozilla over the past year with exellent results, I truly recommend one of these for internet use. ( My opinion only). Regards: dejc.
Posted by dejc (4 comments )
Firefox, Mozilla, etc...
Posted by dejc (4 comments )
Bye Bye IE!!!!
I converted to Firefox a few months ago, and I have never been happier. It's fast, works well on my older PC, doesn't take much space in memory or the hard drive, and unlike IE which tries to be all things to all people, and fails at most, Firefox does one thing and does it very well. Mozilla, keep it stripped down, lean and mean, and save the bells and whistles for the 'Fox's big brother, which I also use and like. Now if I could just find a way to completely flush IE...
Dirk.
Posted by GutBomb (1 comment )