September 13, 2009 7:25 PM PDT

Facebook going for some Twitter sensibility

Facebook groups friends and relatives, while Twitter pools the collective. Facebook is trying to offer a bit more of that larger group, in real time.
(From The New York Times)

The story "Facebook going for some Twitter sensibility" published September 13, 2009 at 7:25 PM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from The New York Times expires after 7 days.

I really don't see how facebook and twitter are direct competitors. Facebook is for communicating with people we already know, or at least are familiar with, in real life. Twitter, on the other hand, is for sharing our opinions and thoughts to the world, regardless of whether we know the people viewing them.

I feel that Facebook should concentrate more on its core features( which are becoming low class these days) rather than trying to outdo Twitter. If Facebook wants to be the be all and end all of social networking, its heading for an epic fall.
Posted by uptheironsrafi (33 comments )
Facebook needs to come with some period. Some ppl love the feature of facebook without the twitter it may become confusing to them while getting frustrated not using their accounts. We'll see what happens won't we ;")
Posted by 1stladyeve (1 comment )
I doubt most of the people on Facebook are 'familiar' with their network of friends. A lot of people just add and add....
Posted by stubbyns (136 comments )
Don't know; it probably varies depending on who you are and how you use the service - "most" may be a bit of an overgeneralisation.
Posted by CortalUX (16 comments )
In twitter, we just tweet what we are doing and those who are interested in ourtweets follow us and vice versa. But in facebook we have options to add more details about us and we decide who all will be in our network. <br /><br />Let'c wat facebook is trying for.<br /><br /> [CNET editors' note: URL deleted.]
Posted by phillipede (2 comments )
Yes, it is right... I am not using twitter at all, In fact I have integrated the twitter with my facebook account and I do update my twitter status from within my facebook and I don't need to open so many sites when only facebook can do it.
Posted by a_usman (1 comment )