September 2, 2005 12:50 PM PDT

Experts: New Orleans disaster was predicted

Projections made in 2004 laid out what would happen if the levees failed. Should the city have been better prepared?

The story "Experts: New Orleans disaster was predicted" published September 2, 2005 at 12:50 PM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from Reuters expires after 30 days.

Where are the Bush Backers Now?
Mr. Bush is a horrible executive manager, and the way this disaster was handled is inexcusable. Much of the suffering and deaths DID not need to happen. Bush cut funding for revitalizing the levees, he has a quagmire going on in Iraq with a large contigent of NAtional Guard deployed there, and has virtually demobolized FEMA.

As one of the news headlines said, this is a national disgrace.
Before you hang Bush...
... make sure that you've already hung every lying, greedy, money
grubbing, influence peddling, corrupt politician and law
enforcement official beginning at the local precinct level all the way
up through city, county, and state government. They all knew the
disaster was coming, but they didn't give a damn about anything or
anybody but themselves.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Bush backer
right here *******.
Posted by j1943oe (1 comment )
Here is a Bush Backer
This scenario has been predicted since the flood of 1927, you
really need to know your history. Bush is not in charge, he was
not in charge after 9-11, he is not in charge now. The first line
of authority is the Mayor, the second is the Governor and the
Feds can't do anything until the state ask, federalism, a quaint
concept. New York had a mayor with balls. The NO mayor is
whining while the governor is crying at press conferences, what
an embarrassment. Meanwhile rescue workers are being shot at
by 'citizens' and rape and murder at the Superdome. What a
lovely citizenry.
Posted by jmmejzz (107 comments )
we're here..
but most will refuse to reply to your sort of nonsense... the primary responsibility lays in Louisiana... President Bush had to beg and plead with the LA Governor and the NOLA mayor to declare mandatory evacuations... Gov. Blanco said "the President has forced me to do this..."
Posted by gilcarvr (11 comments )
Criminal
I think the lack and disorganization of relief and rescue is criminal. Heads need to roll for this. This debacle is 10 times worse then the lack of action leading up to 9/11 disaster. That was a relatively suprise of an attack. Katrina we knew was coming for days! We should have been standing by. And the delay afterwords is apawling.
Posted by (1 comment )
exactly...
they knew Katrina was coming for days... and still the indefensibly clueless mayor of New Orleans did nothing to help the poor and the helpless leave the city...
Posted by gilcarvr (11 comments )
prespective
Is it easier it see it coming from the mayor's office or from Texas? I think it was criminal for the mayor to tell people to come to the Superdome without first providing for basic supplies. He should have visited ready.gov and got himself a nice checklist. The people told to go there had almost NOTHING waiting for them. Even I have enough bottled water to keep me hydrated for a few days and I'm not paranoid.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
Katrina volunteers
My Father @ I want to volunteer our time now,we cant afford 6 weeks off work for Red Cross training, were do we go? What can we bring to help,while we are avalible???????
Posted by (1 comment )
Red Cross Boot Camp
In San Jose, there is a Red Cross boot camp (1 day training) for volunteers. Those boot camps are supposed to be in many regions. Call the Red Cross and ask if there is one near you.
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
Call
You can call your local Red Cross and they will tell you what to do. They will have you take a test online and they will want you there for 10 dats min.
I am an EMT with the same question
I am the Asst. Manager of the Arlington Area Ambulance. I have been train in mass casuality and disaster responce and I am finding the same problem the Amb. is my only job and I have nothing keeping me here. I want to go down there and help too. I registered with the Salvation Army and they said they would be in contact and I havent heard a word. Please let me know if you find a way to go and help. I hate watching and not being able to help!!!!!!!!!
Posted by (1 comment )
from the Army Corps of Engineers
According to the Army Corps of Engineers:
In a telephone interview with reporters, corps officials said that
although portions of the flood-protection levees remain
incomplete, the levees near Lake Pontchartrain that gave way--
inundating much of the city--were completed and in good
condition before the hurricane.

However, they noted that the levees were designed for a
Category 3 hurricane and couldn't handle the ferocious winds
and raging waters from Hurricane Katrina, which was a Category
4 storm when it hit the coastline. The decision to build levees for
a Category 3 hurricane was made decades ago based on a cost-
benefit analysis.
Posted by jmmejzz (107 comments )
Positive Thinking
Is there anyone out there who can find anything positive from this awful tragedy? I can, there are a million or more people who still have their lives and by the grace of GOD they will take something from this tragedy and help someone else one day. Quit looking for someone to blame and move on. :)
Lessons to learn...
Of course it makes sense to talk about what could've been done or what shouldn't. But it makes more sense to talk about what can be done now that we know better.

There are always ideal ways to do things right. But when reality sets in (limitations, budget, politics), the best way possible at that time comes out. Let's just hope the end result this time is truly for the better.

Hurricane Katrina is sad news. It makes history as one of the worst. The good thing is that people learn from history.

I'm sure all of us do...
Posted by Mendz (519 comments )