September 29, 2005 10:06 AM PDT

Related Stories

Disney hoping to sell MovieBeam

September 2, 2005

Mickey Mouse goes wireless

July 6, 2005
I want one...pleeeeeease!

Going after a market that includes children as young as 6, Disney on Thursday unveiled a new line of portable digital audio players for preteen consumers.

Disney Mix Sticks are digital audio MP3/WMA players designed to download music files or copy from CDs. They also accommodate memory cards, called Mix Clips, that feature prerecorded music from Walt Disney Records.

"Digital music is exploding and is ready to take off with kids," Chris Heatherly, Disney Electronics vice president, said in a statement. "The Disney Mix Stick-Mix Clips combination is the perfect way for kids to get started with digital music because it's easier to use than players that can only be used with a PC, and it is just as capable."

Disney Mix Sticks have a storage capacity of 128MB, enough for about 60 songs, and work with a USB 2.0 connector. The MP3 players also feature an SD/MMC card slot for as much as 1GB of storage, or approximately 500 songs.

The Mix Clip memory cards carry full-length albums from Walt Disney Records and are compatible with computers, cellular phones and other devices.

The MP3 players are scheduled to ship in mid-October to major retailers and are expected to sell for about $49. The Mix Clips will be offered separately in the same price range as CDs.

Disney isn't the first to attract young consumers with a media player. Apple's iPod has caught the attention of young teens and toy maker Hasbro also carries a portable digital-music recorder, PlayItNow.

6 year olds listen to music?
I don't know many kids that care about music at that age. Games and videos, yes; but music? Generally not.
Some do...
I was spinning records on my Fisher Price at 3 years old. No, not the musicbox ones... 33 1/3 and 45 type. By 6 years old I had a little Panasonic stereo.
Posted by ddesy (4336 comments )
If Dad has an mp3 player, then jr will want one.
If Dad has an mp3 player, then jr will want one.
Posted by lingsun (482 comments )
Of course 6-year-olds listen to music!
You must have had a dull childhood if you didn't! :) Some of my fave moments were using my small cassette recorder, playing bought tapes and/or recording music off the radio, etc. Didn't every kid? This comes as absolutely no surprise to me at all.
Posted by Anonymous1234567890 (53 comments )
6 year olds listen to music?
What kind of remark is that, do even have kids
Posted by syegutkin (2 comments )
I had a record player at that age, as well as many LP records, also a few 45s and even some 78s. This player has a 4-speed turntable, very rare today, more common in the 1960's and early 1970s. I liked a great variety of music, including classical, still do.
Posted by BayAreaBiker (7 comments )
6 year olds listen to music?
Some do...
Posted by ddesy (4336 comments )
If Dad has an mp3 player, then jr will want one.
If Dad has an mp3 player, then jr will want one.
Posted by lingsun (482 comments )
Of course 6-year-olds listen to music!
Posted by Anonymous1234567890 (53 comments )
6 year olds listen to music?
What kind of remark is that, do even have kids
Posted by syegutkin (2 comments )
DISNEY MP3 PLAYER
WHEN DOES THE DISNEY MP3 PLAYER GO ON SALE?
DISNEY MP3 PLAYER
WHEN DOES THE DISNEY MP3 PLAYER GO ON SALE?
They start even earlier
Six year olds getting in to digital music? They're old news :-P. I have a four year old (five in March) that regularly likes to have tunes playing while she surfs HER way to Nick Jnr or ABC Kids (abc.net.au). There are even quite a few songs that she will recognise, the best example being my playing of Motorhead's Ace of Spades which she spotted as being in her brother's oft played Tony Hawk game.

I think it's safe to say that it wont be long until the lil one is setting up her own playlist like her seven year old sister. Now if only I can teach my Mum how to do the same LoL.
Posted by j3st3r (70 comments )
They start even earlier

Posted by j3st3r (70 comments )
Is anyone older than 5 gonna want a DISNEY player?
Is anyone older than 5 gonna want a DISNEY player?
Posted by lingsun (482 comments )
Is anyone older than 5 gonna want a DISNEY player?
Is anyone older than 5 gonna want a DISNEY player?
Posted by lingsun (482 comments )
DISNEY MP3
I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR MY DAUGHTER'S 11TH BIRTHDAY, WHEN WILL THEY BE OUT FOR SALE?

mid October
Story said that they will be delivered in mid October to major retailers. So I figure it will be at Toys'R'Us and other places that currently sell Disney products. Should also get to Amazon.com pretty quickly.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
DISNEY MP3

mid October
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
i like dis site not love
Posted by kadseha (1 comment )