July 18, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

Coding misstep forces new Firefox release

The open-source Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail client will be updated for the second time in a week because of code changes that have unintentionally stopped some third-party extensions from functioning correctly.

The updates will take Firefox and Thunderbird to version 1.0.6, while the Mozilla Suite will be updated to version 1.7.10, wrote representatives from the Mozilla Foundation on the group's developer news blog. Mozilla oversees the software's development.

It appears security fixes in last week's 1.0.5 update caused the problems.

"There is a very real chance that some of the general security improvements in last week's 1.0.5 update may impact a number of extensions that worked with 1.0.4 and earlier, and we want to identify and address as many of these as possible before we release 1.0.6," the representatives said.

Because of the impending update, the Mozilla Foundation has asked developers to temporarily halt work on localizing the software for non-English language markets, a move that has drawn criticism from some adherents.

"We are getting lots of e-mails from Firefox users in Poland asking us about why isn't Firefox 1.0.5 available in Polish," wrote one developer in the localization newsgroup.

"A few days more, and it's gonna be a big public relations disaster for Firefox outside the U.S.A.," the developer added.

Another developer attacked the foundation in its bug-reporting forum.

"Tens of millions of users are still using 1.0.4 while critical security bugs are already published after en-US (U.S. English) 1.0.5 release," the developer wrote.

Calling for the foundation to release its software in all supported languages simultaneously, the developer said that by delaying the foreign language versions, Mozilla was wasting the work done by developers promoting the foundation's brands in local markets.

Test versions of the updated software are available, and the foundation has asked third-party developers to make sure their extensions work.

"Extensions that interact with Web content and events may be the most susceptible to these changes," the foundation representatives wrote. "Mail-handling extensions such as (secure e-mail extension) Enigmail for Thunderbird and the Mozilla Suite should also be tested heavily."

A Mozilla Foundation representative was not immediately available to comment on the changes.

Renai LeMay of ZDNet Australia reported from Sydney.

Guess its time to switch to IE
c'mon, someone had to say it.
Nah, I'm sticking with FF...
It may not be the "perfect browser", but they do bring their errors and flaws out into the open asap. Unlike Microsoft, who tries covering up their mistakes. Firefox had better be careful though, to many wrong moves like this could lead to their demise.
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Don't need to change...
I never switched from IE, in spite of the CNET hype! :-)
Posted by Randyrama (2 comments )
Come on what are you drinking?
Look I fix pc's for a living & Firefox is by far the most secure Browser that I have saw & I do not care about the security flaws they had this week & you know why, because I know & have faith that they are going to fix the flaws right away.

Ya see & now IE( Microsoft ) never listens to there users until many years later & then by then the security flaws are in the news and then people's identities & other private info are being taken, then now that it is in the news and may effect the fat cat Microsoft, then they start to work & thats what makes people mad, expecially when we are spending our hard earned money on there products expecting a little customer service & there is none at microsoft, but they have a 1-900 number where you can pay phone SE* call prices to speak to a tech, The richest & one of the biggest companies on this earth & cannot even hire some people to help there custemers without ripping them off somemore.

I will never go back to Firefox & for all my customers that come to me with 1400 pieces of spyware & 100 viruses on 1 pc & IE use & they wonder why won't my computer start-up Well you are extremely infected with spyware,dialers,hacker connects & viruses. So I am riding Firefox til the grave & my addictive part the(EXT'S) that ad so many options, I sorta feel like the ext's give me the option to pick what I want on my browser & I feel like I am building my own Browser & I love it, instead of like IE(microsoft) is basiclly take it or leave it & many spent dollars & around 25 ad-on programs down the line bloated & crashing later.
So to the probably Newb that I am replying back to, man go back to IE, but it will cost you when you call us pc troubleshooters to fix your soon to be damaged pc & I found by me fixing pc's, the problem usually tend to be Active X,Javascript,scripts(vbscipt),etc. Embedded Objects(java-activeX) & mime type intergrated objects. So have fun with all the holes in your wonderfull IE (NEWBBBBBBBBBB). Be happy & appreciative that this mozilla firefox developers/company are actually trying to help online security problems & they are not ripping our pockets off at the same, they do not have to give you anything (MR.Ungreatfull) , but for me I say thank you to the makers of Firefox for all the good work & anyone that really knows computers , the internet & software know that there is no software without flaws, just like us humans, anothing there is always a smart person with nothing to do just sitting in a basement writing code to destroy stuff online and firefox happens to be a target like all of us are. But us real true computer geeks understand that, but you newbs, just crack me up because you all think some how in this imaginary world where you all think everything must be perfect & never get hacked well, if you are not willing to go through the bad & the good, then none of us need you guys even online because the minute you newbs get a scratch from using the mouse, then your complaining, Look people Hackers will be around until this earth blows up,Piracy will run rapid until this world blows up, but how they will and are staying alive is keep themselves updated & keep improving there product & changing with time & there is much to many people out there , then Big Bro, so use the internet & have fun & Big Bro get ready to get a workout because these exploit kings & queens are in full war mode & I am just watching you fools go at it because I love the fireworks(haha). Firefox is the BESTTTTTTTTTT !
Posted by bestman330 (12 comments )
Guess its time to switch to IE
c'mon, someone had to say it.
Nah, I'm sticking with FF...
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Don't need to change...
I never switched from IE, in spite of the CNET hype! :-)
Posted by Randyrama (2 comments )
Come on what are you drinking?

Posted by bestman330 (12 comments )
Big deal
So what? Some small screw up happened in a
big project. It is not as if a big security
flaw is discovered in Firefox that will allow
an attacker to take over ur PC.

In fact, you should appreciate the foundation's
concern that it is breaking some extensions and
their decision to make a new release. Quite unlike some monpolists who tell webmasters to
modify their pages to keep compatibility with
an aged, insecure browser because a beta is expected some time.

However, the decision to halt translations
is a bit perplexing and might create bad press for Firefox.

CNET is always anti-OSS and pro-MS anyway.
This is not such a big mistake of the Mozilla
foundation as you are making it out to be.

I will happily download 1.0.6 as soon as it
is available.
Posted by pythonhacker (71 comments )
Go To PCWorld.com
They are very anti MS, I believe you will have a good time there. We won't miss you :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Big deal
So what? Some small screw up happened in a
big project. It is not as if a big security
flaw is discovered in Firefox that will allow
an attacker to take over ur PC.

In fact, you should appreciate the foundation's
concern that it is breaking some extensions and
modify their pages to keep compatibility with
an aged, insecure browser because a beta is expected some time.

However, the decision to halt translations
is a bit perplexing and might create bad press for Firefox.

CNET is always anti-OSS and pro-MS anyway.
This is not such a big mistake of the Mozilla
foundation as you are making it out to be.

I will happily download 1.0.6 as soon as it
is available.
Posted by pythonhacker (71 comments )
Go To PCWorld.com
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Why Use 2 Browsers!
why use 2 browsers and why update those 2 browser when u can click the blue icon and set the system to auto upadets, after all both browser need updates, do people have X2 time in there life. so what so special about the firefck ?, others may be better browsers but IE is the best web platform, and also a browser. take a deep breath and click the blue E and all!
Yeah.. alright!
Don't forget to also click on the Ad-ware icon each time.. I remember that time and i won't go back to to the past.
I stick with Firefox wich is still MUCH more secure and better browser. So what's the deal installing an upgrade? Installation of FF upgrades has allways been smooth for me. Besides i think it's ok that FF and TB keep upgrades going on, not like IE. Apps are not perfect after all.
Posted by YoN (11 comments )
In Flames
I have the distinct feeling that you are trying to cause a stink, but since you posed the question.

IE only webpages don't work across any other platform. That is bad. Imagine if Amazon only worked in IE. Now imagine all the lost sales because they chose to use support a browser that only works in Windows. My point here is that a browser is only a gateway to the web. If the web is to survive it needs standards. Not every country, place, or person is tied to Microsoft and there for IE only websites aren't going to work in all places.

Another good point to make is that any browser tied as heavily to the OS as IE is to Windows is always going to be a bigger risk than one not tied to the OS.

Now to try to answer your question. Why use two or more browsers. Well for the most part you shouldn't if you don't have to. I hardly ever touch IE. I find that most webmasters try to follow standards when creating webpages. If it's not possible they create code that detects and alters webpages for the different browsers. The truly sad thing here is that they have to do that. When you write some standardized code that works in 3 out of 4 browers, the one that doesn't work right is the problems, IE.

Just for history you might also recall that when Microsoft and Netscape were fighting for dominance, IE was being update it seams like daily. As soon as Microsoft won IE started getting hardly any real updates and even then they were flaky. Firefox comes around and all of a sudden IE is getting udated to support standards better. Sounds like to me that regardless of whether or not you like or use Firefox you should take a moment to honor them for at the very least getting Microsoft to update IE for (hopefully) the better.

If I were everybody else I would also be pressuring Microsoft to untie all of IE from the Operating System. No webbrowser should be tied that closly to the OS.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
2 Browsers?
Why would you ever use 2 browsers? Websites that aren't written to be compatible with Firefox aren't usually worth visiting. (Besides, you can always download the "IE in Firefox Tab" extension.)
Posted by RoseBlood74 (8 comments )
Why Use 2 Browsers!
In Flames

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
2 Browsers?
Posted by RoseBlood74 (8 comments )
Yeah.. alright!
Posted by YoN (11 comments )
Pointless panic :)
Anyone thinking this has potential to become a PR disaster for Firefox should grab a beer and enjoy the summer :)

I'm editing the cover CD of a major computer magazine (Komputer for alle) and we happily deal with a skipped release and wait a little for the national releases to come. It's not a panic situation for the average user:

Browser vulnerabilities are not nearly as acutely dangerous as email or OS vulnerabilities - the effort in exploiting browser problems is considerable, and propagation slow.

Ease up, we're all looking forward to the fixes. And to the improvements in 1.1, like printing of large frames to work correctly.
Posted by Frodo420024 (13 comments )
Pointless panic :)

Posted by Frodo420024 (13 comments )
Autoupdate doesnt work
The built in updater feature of firefox has NEVER worked for me. Anyone else have that problem?
Maybe if they implemented a P2P distribution for their patches it would work (if the problem is bandwidth, which I suspect).
Posted by wazzledoozle (288 comments )
Works fine for me.
I haven't had any problems using the update feature. The only thing that I think would be nice is the ability to patch the browser instead of downloading it over and over again.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Autoupdate doesnt work
Posted by wazzledoozle (288 comments )
Works fine for me.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
MS ignores flaws in IE.
What is the big deal? At least Mozilla is willing to accept their flaws. Microsoft will just totally ignore the problem till a year later.
Posted by elpcmaster (3 comments )
Huh?
You just want to bash MS don't you? I still remember when FireFox is still in beta, people are happily saying FireFox is "secure" and "bug free." Now FireFox is not bug free and not that secure anymore, in your humble opinion I guess it is all MS's fault, right? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
MS ignores flaws in IE.
Posted by elpcmaster (3 comments )
Huh?
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
People like you are the reason viruses spread!
If you're going to use IE, I'd advise you not to even use the net. You just cause trouble for the rest of us.
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Comment meant toward the "Why Use 2 Browsers!" Post
(No text)
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
FireFox = AutoPilot ?
if you think that installing firefox & (stallman & Co app) will save u from virus, spam it will not, its not a AutoPilot. u can still get a Virus from Floppy/CD/Emails. everyting is dependent on pc user, on how he uses thier pcs. Talk Logical! ;)
People like you are the reason viruses spread!
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
FireFox = AutoPilot ?
Comment meant toward the "Why Use 2 Browsers!" Post
(No text)
Posted by PCCRomeo (432 comments )
Well, you could always use Opera...
Okay, I have to bring up this point. Opera currently has no security issues according to Secunia and it's features will always work because they are all developed by Opera workers. (Don't get too angry, I know that Firefox has some features that you just "can't" live without.) :)
Posted by rmccabe916 (46 comments )
One minor problem
Ads? Yeah, they're the worst ever. Who puts up with that trash?
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Exactly
Opera rules over all browsers, M$ should copy its feature set because it works like a browser should.

What features does FF have the Opera doesn't?

FF's implementation of RSS is very poor while Opera's its complete.

FF's use of Tabbed browsing is amateurish compared to Opera's tabbed browsing. Opera keeps the order of the tabs you open in order and allows you to alt tab to the last page viewed. You can also re-arrange tabs by dragging the tabs to new positions.

Screw both IE and FF!
Right on
I'm a fellow Opera user. I have to say right on about Opera's security/safety, though for our sakes, maybe we shouldn't advertise it too much ;D The masses might discover Opera and use it, and then some nutty hackers will force constant security updates out of Opera. Maybe it's good if we keep things low-key about our happiness.
Posted by highlander2000 (56 comments )
You mean these vulnerabilities?
Assuming you've been a good user and patched Opera, there are 5 known vulnerabilities.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://secunia.com/product/4932/" target="_newWindow">http://secunia.com/product/4932/</a>
Posted by Rounin (7 comments )
Well, you could always use Opera...
Posted by rmccabe916 (46 comments )
One minor problem
Ads? Yeah, they're the worst ever. Who puts up with that trash?
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Exactly

What features does FF have the Opera doesn't?

FF's implementation of RSS is very poor while Opera's its complete.

Screw both IE and FF!
Right on
Posted by highlander2000 (56 comments )
You mean these vulnerabilities?

Posted by Rounin (7 comments )
Why are people stupid?
These are browsers folks, they're not a religion. Take it easy everyone has the right to use whatever browser or operating system they want.

FireFox will continue to have more bugs and missteps as their code base expands. The new extensions problem is the basis for most of the security vulnerabilities IE has. As FF begins to extend the browsers functionality with third party plug-ins you'll really start to see more exploits and security holes.

Lastly Opera is still a better browser then IE or FF.
And besides...
HOW much did you pay for Firefox?
Posted by djtuckerman (2 comments )
Why are people stupid?

Lastly Opera is still a better browser then IE or FF.
And besides...
HOW much did you pay for Firefox?
Posted by djtuckerman (2 comments )
Internet Browser Brands
These are just brands. They all basically do the same thing anyway: let you browse the Internet.

Of course, one is always subjectively better (or worse) than the other. People has different needs and preferences. What works for you may fail another. What fails you may work for another.

So what's the excitement all about? If you like it use it. If you don't, then don't. You're not getting paid to advertise any of them anyway...
Posted by Mendz (519 comments )
Because
We all need something to believe in, belong to, or fight for be it God or browser. It's human nature to defend our beliefs. It doesn't really matter what the object is as long as we believe in it.

You can find the same things in religion, cars, software, politics, and a number of other areas.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Internet Browser Brands

Posted by Mendz (519 comments )
Because

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Better Switch from Windows
This is for anyone who thinks it's time to switch back to IE over this. If this bothers you so much that you have to go back to IE, then I don't see how you can do that, since the same thing happens in Windows about 4-6 times a year. Since there's no IE without XP, then...

Just recently my computer started crashing at work for no reason (I hadn't installed anything or done any other work). Oh look, Windows XP did an auto-update for me, which screwed things up. Just check out:
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a87b44b9-7a6a-49b6-bd89-afad4e049c48&#38;displaylang=en" target="_newWindow">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a87b44b9-7a6a-49b6-bd89-afad4e049c48&#38;displaylang=en</a>
or
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://*******.com/cw7ju" target="_newWindow">http://*******.com/cw7ju</a> (points to the same)
So now all I have to do is install this patch on about 150 desktops.

This happens all the time with any product, but for whatever reason it happens the most with Windows. If you live in the computer world, you have to get used to it. It even happens to Macs, which have such a closed environment that should encourage extensive collateral damage testing.

I think FF did the right thing by fixing this, but really didn't have to since the wayward code affected only extensions (and not core browser functions). If it had been MS that released an upgrade that screws up some third party program, the non-compatible code would be a "feature" and MS would tell customers to wait for and update from the third party vendor. The only reason KB894391 was released is because it was crashing Windows itself.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
Better Switch from Windows

or
So now all I have to do is install this patch on about 150 desktops.

Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
funny people
hehehe. Firefox fanatics ... welcome to the real world of software development. No software as complex as a web browser will ever be perfect.

Just get on with life and try and create something useful yourselves.

DT.
Posted by PolicyQuestioner (5 comments )
Yeah...
You're right...
Posted by Mendz (519 comments )
funny people

Just get on with life and try and create something useful yourselves.

DT.
Posted by PolicyQuestioner (5 comments )
Yeah...
You're right...
Posted by Mendz (519 comments )
Get a life Firefox is the Browser king, Bow down
I forgot to say in my other post, you all would not have to many problems if you all just turn off active X &#38; Java scrpt, when you goto your *orn sites or download all that crap. Learn how to use a computer first before you attempt Firefox bashing because you newbs do not have a clue &#38; I help many newbs and do not mine talking to them &#38; helping because someone did the same for me in the past &#38; now I am paying forward like the movie &#38; help back in return.

Newbs &#38; other lost internet wonderers our own USA government said to stop using Firefox because of the security flaws &#38; they said to use Firefox instead and you know why because allot of the terrorist war is being done online also &#38; NEWBSSSSS(heres a clue) The attackers are using your wonderfull IE Browsers to attack are own Unitedstates government, so they can try to hurt our economy &#38; your IE open doors are the very puppet nodes that there using, so say what you say, but every stuburn horse gets tired eventually &#38; your day of rest will be coming over the hills. So people relax &#38; understand that all of these wonderfull browsers &#38; OS's have there good points &#38; bad points &#38; I know because I use win xp,win me,Mepis Linux(a Debian Distro), Beos 5 Max, Mac OS X Tiger &#38; I love them all &#38; I guess because of my love for computers ingeneral because I am a computer geek. All of them has there strong points &#38; weak point, but as ar as browsers, I am sorry Firefox has all the game &#38; if Firefox was a guy, then it would have all of the women. IE EXPLODER &#38; all of it's puppets out there must do what MicrosoftS says remember(haha-funny) since you unteched idiots soon will be BOWINGDOWN before the great Firefox begging to enter. Newbs &#38; ignorant long users of tech, but never read how-to's o troubleshooting or actually fixing the probs on there old (386) Computers with wooh who( A whole 16MB of Mem) &#38; there 2400 baud modems. God People please rent all three versions of the movie MATRIX( &#38; free your minds) The programming has succeeded in the music biz,dvd biz,gaming biz, now in the browser biz,etc . But it is all the same a straight mind *uck, so wake up and choose your poisen instead of these big companies choosing and making the selection for you &#38; you all not even know it because so programmed that you can't even goto the bath room withot Microsoft telling you how hard to wipe(GOD) Oh and the church is even doing it to you Religious nuts and I love GOD ( &#38; my Jesus) But I do not need to give 30% of my earnings to one of those sneaky miniters that has a firstclass ticket to hell for the future because they tend to be the biggest sin spuns because they are actually using there own GOD that they supposely believe in to turn &#38; make a dollar &#38; would probably sell there own mom for a dime. Sorry I know, Iknow not the right place and I do not usually preach, but I just try to see this world from the outside looking in sometimes , so I can stay down to earth,to the point &#38; concious in this Matrix that we live in, Where there's bad &#38; good. (back on subject alert) Firefox is for free &#38; open thinkers &#38; to me just my personal view Internet exploder is for little *tupid consumers that need to be told when,why,how high, etc. They are &#38; will always be a slave to the matrix because thinking for themselves is just not pumping through these puppets blood cells, only weakness &#38; apparently not much reading. Firefox 4 Ever!
Posted by bestman330 (12 comments )
I meant to say
Our own Unitedstates Government said to stop using IE because it is not safe &#38; they said to start using Firefox, oops sorry for the mistake in my other post. Firefox forever ever ever.
Posted by bestman330 (12 comments )