September 13, 2007 5:23 AM PDT
China accused of cyberattacks on New Zealand
- Related Stories
Homeland Security IT chief blamed for cyberwoesJune 20, 2007
Cyberattacks at federal agencies draw House scrutinyApril 19, 2007
Locking down America's Net defensesFebruary 16, 2006
Homeland Security wraps up first mock cyberattackFebruary 10, 2006
Security experts lift lid on Chinese hack attacksNovember 23, 2005
New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark yesterday assured reporters that no classified information had been compromised but confirmed that she believes that foreign-government spies were behind the cyberattack.
While Clark said officials know which government was behind the attack, she would not name the country suspected.
"We have very smart people to provide protection every time an attack is tried. Obviously, we learn from that," she told reporters.
Warren Tucker, New Zealand's Security Intelligence Service director, hinted to local newspaper The Dominion Post that the Chinese government was responsible for the attacks, referring to previous allegations about the country's spying activities by Canada's secret service.
The allegations come only a week after the Chinese foreign ministry denied that the Chinese government had endorsed attacks on the computer networks of Germany, the United States and the United Kingdom.
"Any accusation of Chinese military force attacking computer systems of foreign governments is groundless, irresponsible and out of ulterior motives," Chinese foreign-ministry representative Jiang Yu said in a recent press conference. "As far as I know, up till now, the Chinese police have not received any request for investigation assistance from the relevant countries."
Liam Tung of ZDNet Australia reported from Sydney.
9 commentsJoin the conversation! Add your comment